PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS: Thoughts on Anakin Solo

scourgicus
6 June 2002, 08:42 AM
I warned you!!! Spoilers ahead!!!

So I'm reading Star by Star and lo and behold somebody decides its a good day to kill off Anakin. I have said in the past that Anakin is my favorite of the Solo children (he's not as contemplative as Jacen, who really needs to move on), and his death seems a great waste.

And its bad writing. It seems to me if you're going to kill someone off you don't have a Jedi Master prophecy something great about them 2 books back. Master Ikrit's thoughts on Anakin and Tahiri were very interesting and I was thinking that between their shared experience they would perhaps find some way to counteract the YV force problem. Or more. And with the whole "different force" bit I was figuring on some really great plot twist that would be the edge the Jedi have needed. The character development in EoV was excellent and I had high expectations of his place in the NJO story.

And in the next book they kill him off. Ridiculous. I suppose the writers are thinking this is a great way of making his death even more tragic - he never accomplished what he was supposed to. Some may say this thing he and Tahiri were supposed to do was kill the voxyn queen. Somehow that's not the impression I was getting. I have said before that characters are expensive. Tolkien only ever kills off Borimir (but makes his death incredibly powerful). In the Classic Trilogy Lucas only kills of Obi-wan (who continues to visit thru the Force). In the New Trilogy the only really important character to die is Qui-gonn, and he's obviously dying so Anakin will become Vader (i.e. the Force wanted QGJ to train Anakin, not Obi-wan).

These characters deaths had a purpose. Anakin's did not. Oh. He stopped a box of genetic material from escaping. Whoopee. And so the ball passes to the annoying Jacen. Pleh. Give me Anakin any day.

And speaking of bad writing, can someone explain to me why the 16 year old Anakin is in charge of the "task force" instead of the 20+ Ganner Rhysode? Or why didn't the YV captain realize he had Jacen Solo under his foot? I imagine Tsavong Lah put out wanted posters and all...

But I digress. I am profoundly disappointed with Star by Star. Dark Journey looks promising but we'll see. Gee, maybe they'll kill off Jaina next. Then we can listen to Jacen whine ALL THE TIME...

Tramp
6 June 2002, 09:50 AM
I have to disagree with your assessment of Anakin's death in Star by Star. In my opinion it was handled very well and was quite powerful emotionally. Yes, it was tragic , it was meant to be. It is also the catalist that will change his brother and sister forever. Who knows, they may find some way of bringing him back. The Force works in strange ways sometimes so as long as it isn't done cheesy, I'd love to see it happen. Just my thoughts.

Nova Spice
6 June 2002, 10:57 AM
This topic has been discussed over and over again. I just finished Rebel Stand (3 books after Star by Star) and the series looks even more promising after that book. First off, it wasn't bad writing. Troy Denning portrayed Anakin's death. It was tragic and it hit home even harder than Chewbacca's death (that's hard to do since I really liked Chewie and Chewie was actually IN the movies). Fact is,I've said it over and over, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Anakin's death will have a GREAT meaning by series end. Dark Journey is okay, not nearly as good as Rebel Dream or Rebel Stand. If you thought SbS was a bad book, then you should just stop with the books altogether. It was by the far the BEST NJO book written and was the midpoint of the Yuuzhan Vong crisis. The writing doesn't get any better than Star by Star. I could almost hear John Williams' symphony in my mind as I read the novel.
Keep in mind that the protective bubble around the main characters is gone.....completely...they are no different than that unknown X-wing pilot out there. They are in danger as well.......

Jedi_Staailis
6 June 2002, 11:15 AM
It seems to me if you're going to kill someone off you don't have a Jedi Master prophecy something great about them 2 books back.
Though I too wish they hadn't killed Anakin, we still may see the prophecy fulfilled. I'm certainly hoping so, anyway.

they are no different than that unknown X-wing pilot out there.
To a certain extent, protective bubbles are completely necessary. Just like vitality points in the RPG, or "script immunity" in movies, the major characters need some sort of additional protection. The Star Wars universe deals heavily in destiny; it makes no sense to subject major characters to the whims of battle. Though I think major character deaths are necessary, I don't think said characters need to be relegated to "just like everybody else" status.

Some may say this thing he and Tahiri were supposed to do was kill the voxyn queen. Somehow that's not the impression I was getting.
Me neither. To me, the voxyn was just another in a long line of Vong weapons that are eliminated one at a time. Yes, the Jedi needed to destroy them, but they had no special significance.

It is also the catalist that will change his brother and sister forever.
Definitely. In this respect, Anakin was the logical choice to kill. It throws everything into turmoil, much as The Empire Strikes Back does at the middle (note the similar pacing) of the original trilogy. Anakin is so powerful, so competent, and so under control that he would have been able to (relatively) easily overcome the death of a sibling. Would it have hurt? Yes, without a doubt. But Anakin had already weathered guilt over Chewbacca's death, and had emerged stronger. He had learned lessons about himself, the Force, and war from Mara and Luke. Aside from Luke and possibly Mara, Anakin was probably the most competent and powerful Jedi, period.

And speaking of bad writing, can someone explain to me why the 16 year old Anakin is in charge of the "task force" instead of the 20+ Ganner Rhysode?
He was the best choice. He has fought more Vong, been more successful, and is stronger in the Force than Ganner. It made sense to have Anakin lead the team.

Jaggard
6 June 2002, 11:16 AM
I don't follow this stuff but it occurs to me that Anikin has a desteny that is yet to be fullfilled. Now bear with me here; The force effects all living things accept the YV maybe because they are not entirely living. What if part of what they do to themselves involves forced near death experiances, that somehow seperate them from the force or at least alter it. So perhaps they intend to turn a jedi into one of them.