PDA

View Full Version : The end of NJO?



EmprorsHand03
6 June 2002, 08:13 PM
I'm starting this thread because I want to hear some of your thoughts on how the NJO series will end.

I have some theories, but this is the one that I'm sticking with for the end. It seems to me that the way things are going now the whole galaxy will have to unite to stop the tyranny of the Yuuzhan Vong in the galaxy. The Yuuzhan Vong possess technology that the galaxy has never seen before, which is why it has been so hard for the New Republic to stop them, not to mention their fanatical drive in the divine holy war given to them by their gods. Therefore at the end I see a true New Republic with the Imperial Remnant being dissolved (I eagerly anticipate a return to the NJO for them anytime now), and, hopefully, the Chiss will make an entrance into the galactic scene and play a part in turning this invasion away.

I eagerly await on hearing your many thoughts on this subject.

madpoet
6 June 2002, 08:51 PM
As nice as it would be for the whole galaxy to come together to stop the YV threat, I don't see it lasting long after the threat is gone. The SW universe is steeped in conflict, and while the idea of every sentient being getting together to form a shiny happy rainbow coalition, it would rapidly make for very dull reading. I say, when the Yuuzhan Vong are no more, bring on the next galaxy destroying marauder!

wolverine
7 June 2002, 03:03 AM
I think it will wind up being a co-operative effort between the imperial remenant and the Chiss, who will come in and save the day.

Rouge8
7 June 2002, 05:31 AM
Chiss wil do most of the work.

EmprorsHand03
7 June 2002, 06:16 AM
You also have to remember that if the Chiss and Imperial Remnant do come together, that there is a whole other empire out there and radical factions in the Imperial Remnant could come back stronger than ever after the war since the New Republic is taking the brunt of the assault. And every author has written the Empire out. Also the Chiss may not agree with the ideals of the Empire anymore.


As nice as it would be for the whole galaxy to come together to stop the YV threat, I don't see it lasting long after the threat is gone. The SW universe is steeped in conflict, and while the idea of every sentient being getting together to form a shiny happy rainbow coalition, it would rapidly make for very dull reading. I say, when the Yuuzhan Vong are no more, bring on the next galaxy destroying marauder!

I don't see how it could get too dull the Republic did encompass most of the galaxy before the Sith took everything over. And you could come up with a host of other things. Though you do make a valid point.

Jedi_Staailis
7 June 2002, 06:36 AM
Though I agree with all of you that there will be some coalition building before the Vong fall, I think the true victory will result from some change in the Jedi. I think the Jedi are going to come back together, and some of the major players may undergo revelations of sorts about the nature of the Force and their role in the galaxy. I also think Anakin Solo will play a part, but I'm clueless as to what this could be.

Nova Spice
7 June 2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Rouge8

Chiss wil do most of the work.

Doubt it since 12 out of the 19 NJO books have already come out and the Chiss are barely mentioned much less participating in the war. They won't attack unless the Vong attack them and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Considering the way this is going, I'll take a pot shot at this one. Before the series is all over with, I think Lando Calrissian will bite the big one. No real evidence here, just a gut feeling. I think Boba Fett will return and, irony at its best, assist Han Solo and Leia. The Jacen Solo situation will be resolved when Vergere teaches Jacen about the Unifying Force, the aspect of the Force that Luke was never taught because he had to be quickly trained to defeat the Emperor and Darth Vader. Jacen will then re-establish the New Jedi Order with the Old Jedi Order (not by himself mind you, Luke will be the one to ACTUALLY do it, but not without his nephew's help). Coruscant will be recaptured and the Jedi Temple will be rebuilt. The New Republic will just become the Galactic Republic and the Remnant will just flutter away, joining the Republic.
The next effort in the galaxy will be the reconstruction of the countless worlds destroyed by the Vong. I don't really know how the New Republic is going to push the Vong out of the galaxy, but I suspect Ackbar will play a hand in it military-wise. After reconstruction (many many years), I suspect that the Republic will set out to chart the Unknown Regions and then eventually create technology to journey from one galaxy to another. Purely Speculation...which means this thread probably belongs in Rumors and Speculation anyway......

Darth Jerrod
7 June 2002, 10:22 AM
Spoilers!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Then you have not been reading the lastest two books. Jag Fell and his traveling companion on thier scouting mission for the Chiss.

I just read the second book and they plan on telling the Chiss that the Vong are a danger that need to be dealt with and waiting for them to attack will mean defeat.

Nova Spice
7 June 2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jerrod

Then you have not been reading the lastest two books. Jag Fell and his traveling companion on thier scouting mission for the Chiss.

If you look above I said 12 out of the 19 books have come out with the Chiss not getting involved, indicating that I have read both Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand. I read Rebel Stand in five hours and I am well aware of Shawnkyr Nuruodo.....If you also notice there is a thread that I started in this forum titled Rebel Stand Speculation.....obviously I have read the latest two novels. ;)

Master_thorin
7 June 2002, 07:20 PM
All right here comes my two creds..... I as well have read the most reason pair of books and have two factoids to toss in. 1 Jag will not be making that return trip anytime soon (come on we all know that love conquers all rubbish.) and second I do not think Shawnkyr would leave Jag behind and I have two reasons for this. 1 she is Jag's XO/second in the Chiss military (think Wedge and Tycho) and second I think she has a little thing for him as well. So thats my thoughts.

EmprorsHand03
7 June 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staalis
Though I agree with all of you that there will be some coalition building before the Vong fall, I think the true victory will result from some change in the Jedi. I think the Jedi are going to come back together, and some of the major players may undergo revelations of sorts about the nature of the Force and their role in the galaxy. I also think Anakin Solo will play a part, but I'm clueless as to what this could be.

Originally posted by Nova Spice
Considering the way this is going, I'll take a pot shot at this one. Before the series is all over with, I think Lando Calrissian will bite the big one. No real evidence here, just a gut feeling. I think Boba Fett will return and, irony at its best, assist Han Solo and Leia. The Jacen Solo situation will be resolved when Vergere teaches Jacen about the Unifying Force, the aspect of the Force that Luke was never taught because he had to be quickly trained to defeat the Emperor and Darth Vader. Jacen will then re-establish the New Jedi Order with the Old Jedi Order (not by himself mind you, Luke will be the one to ACTUALLY do it, but not without his nephew's help). Coruscant will be recaptured and the Jedi Temple will be rebuilt. The New Republic will just become the Galactic Republic and the Remnant will just flutter away, joining the Republic.
The next effort in the galaxy will be the reconstruction of the countless worlds destroyed by the Vong. I don't really know how the New Republic is going to push the Vong out of the galaxy, but I suspect Ackbar will play a hand in it military-wise. After reconstruction (many many years), I suspect that the Republic will set out to chart the Unknown Regions and then eventually create technology to journey from one galaxy to another. Purely Speculation...which means this thread probably belongs in Rumors and Speculation anyway...... [/B]

I did forget about the Jedi, but that is not to say that they are unimportant to the defeat of the Vong. I was just concerned about the overall health of the galactic government. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that sees the galaxy uniting to defeat the Vong.

You also cheated with the Acbar plan Nova:D, if Ackbar comes up with it you know it has to work. I'm very anxious to see what he has come up with.


Originally posted by Master_thorin
All right here comes my two creds..... I as well have read the most reason pair of books and have two factoids to toss in. 1 Jag will not be making that return trip anytime soon (come on we all know that love conquers all rubbish.) and second I do not think Shawnkyr would leave Jag behind and I have two reasons for this. 1 she is Jag's XO/second in the Chiss military (think Wedge and Tycho) and second I think she has a little thing for him as well. So thats my thoughts.

I also think that Jag will not make the return trip because I doubt that Shawnkyr died. Even if she did die, Jag would make the return trip because he gave a promise to a fellow pilot and honor means the most to him above all. But Jag will return, with or without the Chiss because he loves Jaina (I see that admission coming very soon since neither of them have actually said the words). I do doubt that Shawnkyr has any real feelings for Jag other than as a friend. Chiss do tend to look down on "lesser species".

Dan Kyrinov
8 June 2002, 07:22 PM
Hey, everyone. I haven't read the latest Enemy Lines book, but I am spoiled as heck on the book, which is why I still hang around the board. (Amazon will ship Rebel Stand next week to me) Now, my information comes from Dark Journey. Elaine Cunningham in Chapter Six pg 54 describes the phalanx run by Soontir as 'Syndic Mitth-thrawn-nurodo' (note Thrawn's name in there) and describes the Syndic as 'never been ruled by the thinking of tradition-bound Chiss senators or... Imperial politicians...' Bottom of page 54, Soontir says 'Chiss society pretends that (the Syndic)... are not here...' He alludes to Chiss society sending in recruits, however, and in that same statement refers to 'Thrawn's conquests and alliances.' Syndic Mitth'thrawn'Nurodo is the legacy of the Grand Admiral, the results of an alliance secured with the Imperials. The Syndic runs the Nirauan fortress, the icy base we see in DJ chap. six, and apparently, like Thrawn, the Syndic is not against striking first. Read chapter six very carefully, you will see the Chiss Syndic Mitth'thrawn'nurodo is the force considering committing, not mainstream Chiss. Jag, Shawnkyr, Soontir, Parck, they're all the legacy of Thrawn. But one Syndic, one house (Thrawn's) may be a great help, but hey, if Jag's character is highlighted as time goes by due to Jaina, Thrawn's own legacy may help save the Republic he nearly destroyed. Ironic, if that's how it happens. But I think for all the listed reasons above, it's not gonna be the Chiss to save the Republic's day. But they might be a huge boost.

If I made some kind of error because I have not read the most recent book, open fire with your blasters... JK. Peace!

Mjolner
10 June 2002, 06:53 AM
Well, this could be completely wrong, but I think it's likely that the Shamed Ones will form a rebelion against the rest of the Yuuzhan Vong, and assist the Republic in the fight.

Also, I doubt the Republic ever will drive the YV out of the galaxy. The YV has nowhere to go, few good ships to travel in, and to force them out would be to kill just about every single one of them. The Jedi wouldn't allow that to happen even if the YV are the enemy. Genocide isn't really part of the code, even in the "strange" NJO. Most likely the remaining YV, especially the Shamed Ones, will be allowed to stay on some of the planets they have taken, such as Borleias.

It would be nice to see Boba Fett come back in to the picture, but I doubt that will happen. I can't explain why, but it just doesn't seem likely somehow. In any case, I doubt he'd come back as one of the good guys if he does come back...

I hope that they make the last NJO book the last ones where the movie characters play a big part. It's time for the next generation to take over after the series is done. Maybe it is revealed that the YV does exist in the Force, just in another "aspect", and we see the first YV Jedi...no lightsaber, but an amphi-staff instead.

Oh well, just my speculations... :)

EmprorsHand03
13 June 2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Mjolner
Well, this could be completely wrong, but I think it's likely that the Shamed Ones will form a rebelion against the rest of the Yuuzhan Vong, and assist the Republic in the fight.

Also, I doubt the Republic ever will drive the YV out of the galaxy. The YV has nowhere to go, few good ships to travel in, and to force them out would be to kill just about every single one of them. The Jedi wouldn't allow that to happen even if the YV are the enemy. Genocide isn't really part of the code, even in the "strange" NJO. Most likely the remaining YV, especially the Shamed Ones, will be allowed to stay on some of the planets they have taken, such as Borleias.

It would be nice to see Boba Fett come back in to the picture, but I doubt that will happen. I can't explain why, but it just doesn't seem likely somehow. In any case, I doubt he'd come back as one of the good guys if he does come back...

I hope that they make the last NJO book the last ones where the movie characters play a big part. It's time for the next generation to take over after the series is done. Maybe it is revealed that the YV does exist in the Force, just in another "aspect", and we see the first YV Jedi...no lightsaber, but an amphi-staff instead.

Oh well, just my speculations... :)

I don't think that the Shamed Ones could rebel even if they wanted to. The Shamed Ones lack the training of those that the gods favor, unless they were shamed later in life, and they are as devoted to the Vong religion as everyone else. Just because a few Shamed Ones believe that the Jedi can bring them back into the gods' favor doesn't mean that all of them believe it. Also in subsequent books following that revelation among the Shamed Ones, the Vong have pretty much shot that down.

I also doubt that the Republic will drive the Vong out. But the Vong may push themselves into exile after their defeat. The Vong are bound by honor and religion. Yes, honor, because above all they have pride which plays as much a part as their religion. However, if the truth about their gods is ever revealed to them, they might even learn to like technology.

I don't know about Boba making a comeback. We're something like halfway through the series and he hasn't made one appearance. I do agree that he probably won't be good if he does come back though. In the novels the biggest bounties out there have to be on Jedi, and after his previous encounters with the Solos and Skywalkers, you think he'd have learned his lesson by now. If the bounty is big enough though?:rolleyes:

Vong Jedi sounds pretty cool but we probably won't see that until after the NJO is finished and they decide whether or not to continue to write about the original movie characters. I think they're going to show something about the Vong existing in the Force in the next book. However, in NJO we have to remember one thing, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!;)

Grim Fantango
14 June 2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Mjolner
Also, I doubt the Republic ever will drive the YV out of the galaxy. The YV has nowhere to go, few good ships to travel in, and to force them out would be to kill just about every single one of them. The Jedi wouldn't allow that to happen even if the YV are the enemy. Genocide isn't really part of the code, even in the "strange" NJO. Most likely the remaining YV, especially the Shamed Ones, will be allowed to stay on some of the planets they have taken, such as Borleias.


Reminds me of when i ws tryin to convince you that Genocide was part of the Jedi code, kind of a "They are Dying..." "Let them Die!" sorta thing, but the whole Vong Jedi thing sounds pretty tight, organic lightsaber and all...

Superdog
14 June 2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by EmprorsHand03



I do agree that he probably won't be good if he does come back though. In the novels the biggest bounties out there have to be on Jedi, and after his previous encounters with the Solos and Skywalkers, you think he'd have learned his lesson by now. If the bounty is big enough though?:rolleyes:


I bet Fett is smart enough to NOT work for the Vong, I don't see him as being dumb as the Peace Brigade.

FlipDog 2000
14 June 2002, 01:27 PM
You'd think that Fett would swallow his pride and work WITH, not for, the New Republic and try to make some allies.

Corsair
15 June 2002, 01:40 AM
I have a feeling that part of the downfall of the Vong will be the revelation of the truth.

Do you remember how there was that YV Shaper, who ended up going into the eight thingy or whatever it was?

I am pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that the Vong religion was a farce, or something to that effect.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong. My mind is in exam mode at the moment so I am a little hazy on my NJO knowledge.

Grim Fantango
15 June 2002, 07:47 AM
Eighth Cortex i think it was. It's the highest level of the shapers database, and practically empty. Nin Yem found nothing else to be learned and decided that she was going to create unholy and heritic creatures using her own methods instead of the normal way. Punishible by death, except for the fact that the Supreme Overlord is encouraging her to do it, i think he's scared of what'll happen if they don't win. So he's going to make sure they do. And that brings the whole fact into prespective that their Beliefs are false, no gods, no truth, no nothing...

Talonne Hauk
16 June 2002, 06:50 AM
If they're serious about portraying the star Wars galaxy at large with the next generation of Star Wars characters, they should start creating some new main characters who aren't Force-sensitive. Jag Fel is a good start, but to make a non Force-sensitive character in the minority of main characters is somewhat skewed, don't you think? I would think that would be a prime opportunity to introduce not Boba Fett, but his son or daughter as a hero.

EmprorsHand03
16 June 2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
If they're serious about portraying the star Wars galaxy at large with the next generation of Star Wars characters, they should start creating some new main characters who aren't Force-sensitive. Jag Fel is a good start, but to make a non Force-sensitive character in the minority of main characters is somewhat skewed, don't you think? I would think that would be a prime opportunity to introduce not Boba Fett, but his son or daughter as a hero.

Boba Fett a personal life...hah? The only other attached bounty hunter I can remember was Dengar, and who knows what parts worked on him. After Boba's encounter with the Sarlacc, who knows what works on him either? Though there is a very big gap between the events of YJK and the NJO.:raised:

Talonne Hauk
17 June 2002, 06:17 AM
Well, considering Boba Fett hasn't been heard from in some time, I figured he settled down. Why else would he have accumulated so much wealth, if not to enjoy it some or to pass it on to an heir?

Tramp
19 June 2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by EmprorsHand03


Boba Fett a personal life...hah? The only other attached bounty hunter I can remember was Dengar, and who knows what parts worked on him. After Boba's encounter with the Sarlacc, who knows what works on him either? Though there is a very big gap between the events of YJK and the NJO.:raised:

Actually, the gap between the end of the YJK and the beginning of the NJO is only about six months at the most. Jacen and Jaina are already Sixteen in "YJK: Return to Ord Mandell". That is the same age they are in Vector Prime. They turn Seveteen sometime after "Dark Tide: Ruin" but before "Balance Point".

Superdog
19 June 2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Tramp


Actually, the gap between the end of the YJK and the beginning of the NJO is only about six months at the most. Jacen and Jaina are already Sixteen in "YJK: Return to Ord Mandell". That is the same age they are in Vector Prime. They turn Seveteen sometime after "Dark Tide: Ruin" but before "Balance Point".
No, correct me if I'm wrong, but Mara becomes pregnant and gives birth in the series, thereby making it more than six months, however much more I don't know for sure.

Nova Spice
19 June 2002, 12:46 PM
True Superdog, Mara gives birth to Ben in Edge of Victory II: Rebirth, which takes place a few months shy of 2 years after Vector Prime. That makes Ben's birth about 2 years and 4 months after the end of the Young Jedi Knights series, so Jacen and Jaina are currently close to 19, if not 19 already.
Tramp is correct though, because Jacen and Jaina are still 16 in Dark TIde II: Ruin which takes place several months after Vector Prime, making the gap bewteen the NJO and YJK no more than 6 months.

Tramp
19 June 2002, 01:30 PM
Jacen And Jaina turn 19 some time during Rebel Dream. Jaina is still mentioned as being 18 during Dark Journey, which picks up immediately following Star by Star, and 19 in Rebel Stand.

Moff Neomen
24 June 2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by EmprorsHand03


Boba Fett a personal life...hah? The only other attached bounty hunter I can remember was Dengar, and who knows what parts worked on him. After Boba's encounter with the Sarlacc, who knows what works on him either? Though there is a very big gap between the events of YJK and the NJO.:raised:

I seem to remember a character that was mentioned in one of the SW Gamers who was a female bounty hunter who seemed to have some kind of very close connection with Boba (to the point of calling him 'Bo'). Damned if I can remember her name though...my SWG's at home. She appeared in some comic (probably a Dark Horse comic). I think Boba's kid might make a great character for the NJO.

Tramp
24 June 2002, 03:13 PM
I don't remember her name either. However, the personal connection she had was that they were romantically linked in the past and even have a child from that short lived union.

Talonne Hauk
24 June 2002, 04:14 PM
I believe her name was Sil. The story is in Star Wars Tales, but I don't know what issue. Since Star Wars Tales is considered Infinities by Lucasfilm, it's doubtful she would be incorporated into the storyline. But I figured it's been 20 some years since the galaxy at large has heard from Boba Fett, so he probably settled down and had a family. I think that family would be somewhat important to him, considering his reverence for his own "father".

Redeemed Jedi
24 June 2002, 05:31 PM
i think that we need to keep in mind that the authors writing the NJO series are not instruments of Star Wars cult revival. As much as we love them Thrawn and Boba Fett will have nothing to do with the end of the seires. The authors will not rely on Lucas' work, or Zahn's as a means of making money. They want to, and so far have created a very unique time period in the SW galaxy, and I am sure they will continue to surpreise us with new and unique twists to thier plots. The closest thing to Thrawn you will probably see is his legacy of Palleon and the Remnant returning. The Shamed ones will most assureadly have a significant part in the plot otherwise the emphasis placed on Tsavong Lah and Vua Rapuung would not have been included as major portions of the plot. To not include something so necessary, or any major portion of the plot seems...negligent when analyzing from a literary point of view and not a fan point of view. I personally, and literarily would expect to see some action on the part of the Chiss, The Remnant, and do not forget the rebuilt Hapan Fleet as a major coalition against the YV. Count on the Jedi coming together. It would not be a NEW JEDI ORDER otherwise. Well thats more than my to credits...

Rouge8
24 June 2002, 06:05 PM
Sintas is the Bounty hunter.

EmprorsHand03
25 June 2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
I believe her name was Sil. The story is in Star Wars Tales, but I don't know what issue. Since Star Wars Tales is considered Infinities by Lucasfilm, it's doubtful she would be incorporated into the storyline. But I figured it's been 20 some years since the galaxy at large has heard from Boba Fett, so he probably settled down and had a family. I think that family would be somewhat important to him, considering his reverence for his own "father".

I know for a fact that that story is in the Vol. 2 trade paperback released last month.

Tem_Starrunner
25 June 2002, 12:31 PM
The Vong as we all know will be defeated. The Chiss, The Empire, New Republic, The Jedi, The Shamed Ones and I'm sure Vergere will somehow play into it all. The question is how and who will be the first to start the ball rolling that leads to the Vongs ousting.

Option 1: the Vong own Caste system will be part of their fall. If the idea got out that the The Shamed Ones exist simply by the will of Shapers for the other castes to use as a slave labor pool everything would fall apart. If this were to happen what would happen? Chaos. The Vong war machine would come to a screaching halt without their primary labor force to supply and serve them.

Option 2: The Vong try to make Jacen one of them but implants fail and he becomes a Shamed One. Shamed Ones see Jedi as equals and Jacen leads rebellion.

Option 3: A bio weapon (Hive Virus) is developed and used or a simply virus is fatal to Vong, wiping out the Vong. (Like the end of War of the Worlds) I know that was lame but a possibility.

Option 4: The Vong say their sorry and apologize by having a big party. Leia bakes a cake and C-3PO keeps his mouth shut. Everything is forgiven and it happy ending. (Right Threepio keeps his mouth shut:D :p ).



Boba's kids showing up, not going to happen. The Tales story implied that his child was dead, at least his and Sintas'. If there are any little Fetts running around my money would be on a clone.

EmprorsHand03
26 June 2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Tem Starrunner
Option 2: The Vong try to make Jacen one of them but implants fail and he becomes a Shamed One. Shamed Ones see Jedi as equals and Jacen leads rebellion.

Jacen won't be with the Vong very long in previews of Destiny's Way, Jacen has already returned to the New Republic. The Vong learned their lesson with shaping Jedi with Tahiri, when that failed. Though she is super scary.

wolverine
26 June 2002, 11:40 AM
Where did you get that preview from?

EmprorsHand03
27 June 2002, 04:15 AM
Here's the main one:
http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2002/05/news20020510.html

powalsh
28 August 2002, 10:04 AM
In the end the YV will lose the war, but they will save there culture. The Shaper castes trechory will be revealed to the shamed ones and even the noble class, who already believed the priests to be less than honest. Most of the noble class of the YV will die in battle as befits their lifestyle, but a few will survive to govern their people and lead them in a new way of life, one without religous interferance. The YV will continue to believe in their gods, however there pantheon will be altered slightly. Ganner will become an epic hero as Vergere suggested at the end of Traitor. The remaining YV will be allowed to live in this new galaxy on Courasant. All of the other worlds will be given back to their rightfull alien rulers, and the remaining YV must aid the New republic in reshaping them.
Couarsant will never be rebuilt as the home of the Republics base of power. It has to much bagage. For some it stood as a reminder of the atrocities comitted by the Empire. For others it represented the excess of a corrupt government. In the end the shaping of Courscant symbolizes the end to a destructive era in galactic history. The New Republic government will have to find, or build a new planet to call home. It will symbolize the birth of a new era of prosperity, and rebuilding that will encompass new technologies and a new frontier age of discovery in the unknown regions.
The destruction of so many worlds and the outpouring of refugees will spur this new frontier mentality. The Imperial remnant, The Hutts and the Chiss will jelously gaurd their borders as more refugees flood toword new space. The Jedi will be called upon to act as lawmen and gaurdians in these frontier worlds and the galaxy will experiance more conflicts as refugees encroach on new aliens and their home worlds.
The YV will be hated throughout the galaxy and blamed for countless atrocities, which will in turn force both the Jedi and the New Republic to act as temporary gaurdians for the YV, but as with all things this hate will fade and eventully the YV will be given a voice in the New Republic.

NilAdmirari
6 September 2002, 08:39 AM
Love your outlook Polwash...throw in at least one more critical sacrifice, Luke maybe, and the end of the series will be amazing. But yeah, Luke should die saving everyone, Jacen, Jaina, Kyp & the Gang...

Then Lucas Licensing should get down to the real nitty gritty...how about a big 30 book series about the The Sith Wars or the birth of the Jedi. All new characters, a whole different galaxy, a bustling Coruscant with large masses of land still sitting around here and there. The chance to see well known species revealed to the galaxy for the first time...I want a lengthy history.

strensk
6 September 2002, 01:29 PM
I see the Imperial Remnant and the Chiss making a big difference, once they seriously start to pool resources with the New Republic. The New Republic will thrive once again, and rebuild.

The Vong will most likely be wiped out because to them death in battle is honorable, surrender is not. The Shamed Ones will play a part.

An intersting thought on the Shamed Ones, I'm not sure if anyone else has thought this one before but here goes:

The shamed ones don't take to implants well perhaps becasue they have a different signature in the force than normal Vong. Maybe they are like a bridge between the two "wavelengths" of the force that everyone from the New Republic, or the whatever galaxy you want to call it, and the Vong galaxy.

I am probably wrong, but it is just a thought.

Codym
6 September 2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by NilAdmirari
Love your outlook Polwash...throw in at least one more critical sacrifice, Luke maybe, and the end of the series will be amazing. But yeah, Luke should die saving everyone, Jacen, Jaina, Kyp & the Gang...

Then Lucas Licensing should get down to the real nitty gritty...how about a big 30 book series about the The Sith Wars or the birth of the Jedi. All new characters, a whole different galaxy, a bustling Coruscant with large masses of land still sitting around here and there. The chance to see well known species revealed to the galaxy for the first time...I want a lengthy history.

The birth of Jedi would be interesting, but there was no Sith war. Just a couple of minor scrapes before the Sith wiped themselves out.

As for the end of the NJO series, there are only two possiblities.

1) a completely false "Happy" ending in which the galaxy is saved and everyone lives happily ever after.

2) The vong complete their mission of genocide and kill everone.

1 is the most likely, but next time they do an arc like this they need to plan it better so the happy (and more Star Wars) ending works.

JawaJoe
23 September 2002, 09:22 AM
What if Fett was quitly revitalizing the mandalorian battle army, and when humanity (as well as supporting specieses) end is near, THey will drop from the skys and spread blaster death throughout the Vong lines....thinkabout a mandalorian was almost the equal as a jedi, but non force using, the perfect weapon against the Vong. THat would float my boat

OrderSponge
23 September 2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Codym


As for the end of the NJO series, there are only two possiblities.

1) a completely false "Happy" ending in which the galaxy is saved and everyone lives happily ever after.

2) The vong complete their mission of genocide and kill everone.

1 is the most likely, but next time they do an arc like this they need to plan it better so the happy (and more Star Wars) ending works.

I don't think I agree with you, on either of these points. Of course, they are both possible, but neither really feels right considering the mood of the story arc.

First, can you imagine the hell-bent hordes of fans that would be beating their way to Skywalker Ranch if your second prediction came true (shudders).

As for the first option, I would have agreed with you three years ago (or even one year ago), but now, with the death of so many major characters, and the radical change of the power structure of the galaxy (the most major in galactic history), I think it is fairly safe to say that it will be anything but happy-go-lucky. It will probably be a victorious feeling tampered with the sorrow of all of the billions that had to die to bring about victory. I really look forward to it.

As for Boba Fett's "resurgence", not going to happen. I mean, what would he do? He has no connections to the Mandalorians (that we know of) besides his armor, and anyway, he's not a one-man wrecking crew, at least not on the scale of armies.

No offense to anybody here, just my two creds.

Codym
24 September 2002, 03:47 AM
I just call it how I see it. As someone who writes, I feel the plotters of the NJO have written themselves into a corner that they cannot plausibly get themselves out of. With billions dead, billions more enslaved or homeless, and with the bulk of the planets concured rendered uninhabitible, victory is pretty much impossible. The fight against the Vong should have started much earlier than Star By Star, and with so few books left, any victory is going to feel faked. I do not blame the writers, who are top notch, but the story leaves no where to go. The Vong have all ready won.

As for Boba, he could come back big time under the right author. Concider this: He looks like a droid and is an absolutely cunning fighter; the Vong would hate him on sight. As a figure head, he would be a great propaganda against the Vong, especially playing up his droidlike armor, as good or better the false gods plot they're currently peddling. And with his reputation within the galaxy, he would get people following him. And he could also die fantasticly.

I doubt any authors would go at this, but it would an interesting storyline.

JawaJoe
24 September 2002, 09:23 AM
I think a great ending scene for NJO, would be for boba fett to stride up to the high council or who ever is ruling the survivors, and dump the head of the Yuuzhan Vong high leader or something, in Leia's lap and say "Now about that bounty..." It would actually be just like fett to travel for years into Yuuzhan vong space and take out the high leader, especially if some civilian or something posted a meager 50 credit bounty on "whoever caused all this"

as for the mandalorian army, we can all dream can't we?

Ardent
24 September 2002, 09:29 AM
I really dislike having to do this, but I feel it needs to be done.

Codym, have you even read any of the books beyond Onslaught?

Or are you simply overemphasizing the obvious outer machinations and ignoring the overall storyline building within the saga as of the end of Traitor?

As of right now, there is nothing to suggest that a happy ending is impossible. In fact, considering the bits of insight Vergere gave us at the end of Traitor, I'd bet on there being an agreeably well-planned happy ending.

I'm trying not to ruin too much of it for people who haven't had the chance to read up to that point yet, because it would completely ruin the read for them.

The other thing I totally disagree with is your assertion that there were no Sith wars. How utterly wrong that assumption is really cannot be expressed by one person. There was at least one major, galaxy-shaking Sith War in the canon storyline.. The one that effectively ceased with the Battle of Ruusan (and the creation of the Valley of the Jed). There have been numerous large skirmishes (battles, maybe even a legitimate war in there) with the Sith over the millennia not including said war.

Finally, your last assertion was that the Sith wiped themselves out. If this were the truth, Darth Bane and his legacy would not have survived into the Rebellion Era. The Sith did in-fight, but so do the Jedi. The difference is the Sith lacked the patience to temper their aggression and their conflicts became physical. The Jedi fight their battles at the council tables. Neither group wiped itself out, and neither group wiped the other out.

Once again, I apologize for having said this publicly, but I felt it needed to be said. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else who has read this thread and been more than a little confused by the assertations you've presented.

Codym
24 September 2002, 12:10 PM
I take no offensive at what you said, but I was just expressing an honest and valid opinion held by me. I have read all the NJO books since Onslaught, which should be clear because in Onslaught, the NR fought back and convincingly won. But after that, no real action was taken until the assault on you-know-where, and the political infighting just seemed forced. I feel the Vong invasion has been made too big to be ultimately stopped, especially with the state of the galaxy and the Jedi, and nor have I seen any real evidence that it could won convincingly. I will collect all the books, but I doubt my opinion will change. We'll see at the end of the series.


Originally posted by Ardent
The other thing I totally disagree with is your assertion that there were no Sith wars. How utterly wrong that assumption is really cannot be expressed by one person. There was at least one major, galaxy-shaking Sith War in the canon storyline.. The one that effectively ceased with the Battle of Ruusan (and the creation of the Valley of the Jed). There have been numerous large skirmishes (battles, maybe even a legitimate war in there) with the Sith over the millennia not including said war.

Finally, your last assertion was that the Sith wiped themselves out. If this were the truth, Darth Bane and his legacy would not have survived into the Rebellion Era. The Sith did in-fight, but so do the Jedi. The difference is the Sith lacked the patience to temper their aggression and their conflicts became physical. The Jedi fight their battles at the council tables. Neither group wiped itself out, and neither group wiped the other out.

Read the section on the history of the Sith in the Episode I adaptation and various interviews by George Lucas, which as far as I know are the only true cannon on this subject. The Sith wiped themselves out. Bane survived because he saw the end was coming, went into hiding and adopted the Jedi teachings for stealth, cunning and most importantly, patience. He also introduced the "Only Two" mantra for master and apprentice so his religion would survive.

Lastly, this is my last post to this thread, as I don't want to get into a war of worlds with anyone. Argent, you and the rest are nice, smart guys, so I don't want to insight anyone against me because I want to have a long life on these message boards. I think I've made my point, but if not, so be it.

Peace guys.

Master Droid
8 October 2002, 04:45 AM
Remember War of the Worlds? Do you remember what killed the invaders? It was diseases, ones that they were not immune to because they came from another place. The YV could meet a similar fate.

Nova Spice
8 October 2002, 04:20 PM
Remember War of the Worlds? Do you remember what killed the invaders? It was diseases, ones that they were not immune to because they came from another place. The YV could meet a similar fate.

Head on over to the Destiny's Way Spoiler Thread and I think you'll find out some things that may be useful for figuring out how this series is going to end.


I feel the Vong invasion has been made too big to be ultimately stopped, especially with the state of the galaxy and the Jedi, and nor have I seen any real evidence that it could won convincingly.

Read Destiny's Way my friend Codym; read and let your eyes be opened to the path of the future! :D

The turning point has arrived.

-Master Luke Skywalker, Destiny's Way

ElfWord
17 October 2002, 03:27 AM
Putting my two credits in here sounds like a great way to make my first post. Really, there have been so many plot twists that I don't think I have a decent chance of predicting what will actually happen in the end. Here's what I think would be cool to happen:
1. What Jawa Joe said about Boba Fett. That was just plain genius Jawa Joe.
2. A clone of Thrawn coming back and leading the Chiss against the YV. Thrawn had the foresight to plant hundreds of clone troops all over the galaxy in covert cells, I don't think he would make just 1 clone of himself. Some problems people might have with this: "He didn't have the foresight to prevent his own death." Well no, but he did have the foresight to make 1 clone. What's to stop him from making more? After all, with Mount Tantiss, he could have taken a bunch of cloning cylinders.
"Why did he wait so long to come back/ Why did it take so long for his clone to grow?" If you'll recall the novels in which Luke and Mara discovered the Thrawn clone, Thrawn had set the timer for 10 years. Thrawn was a smart enough man to have not had all of his clones come out at once, as that would cause a big problem determining who gets to lead. Thrawn could have set other clones with 30, 50, or 75 year timers. This way, either he or his clone would have plenty of time to make a trip to wherever the clone was and reset the timer.
I've heard a bunch of people say that there is no way Thrawn will come back and maybe he won't, but the sheer awesomeness of him returning to lead most likely the Chiss against the YV is too cool for me to ignore.
3. A superweapon being built. Most likely by the Remnant, possibly the New Republic. The Star Wars universe is about conflict, the force, and superweapons. While it would take a lot of resources, it would be a big morale booster to the New Republic to see an awesome weapon wiping out the YV. If someone tried to use it immorally, the Jedi would probably take action to stop it, giving another lucky Jedi the chance to sacrifice his life, lol.
4. An all out fleet war. The YV, having had 4 or 5 of their fleets destroyed, gather all of their remaining forces and start conquering planets, one by one. The New Republic forces gather all of their Defender Star Destroyers, Ranger Gunships, Bothan Assault Cruisers, and everything else at one planet, and have a fight to the death with the YV. Lando Calrissian, captain of a ship manned entirely by his battle droids, wreaks havoc on the YV fleet, which concentrates fire on his ship and majorly damages it. Lando then heorically rams his ship into the main YV ship. Kyp Durron, gathering the force to him, uses the force to gather stellar dust and drifiting matter and encase a YV ship within it, and then compacts it. Jacen Solo, having taken on an apprentice and tauight the Jedi the true meaning/depth of the force, goes with his apprentice and Luke Skywalker to whatever ship Supreme Overlord Shimrarra is on, and fight heroically, causing the death of both Jacen and Luke. Jacen's apprentice, who is a YV, is left with the task of telling others what happened. Tsavong Lah dies honorably like his father before him after his fleet has been almost completely destroyed.

Probably none of that will happen, but it would be really awesome if it did.

EmprorsHand03
17 October 2002, 06:34 AM
Well it's been a while since I last posted. So to put my two creds in: You have quite an imagination with that last one, ElfWord, Jacen and Luke are not going to die. Thrawn is not coming back EDIT. If he comes back again I'm going to be really mad. I'm just fine with the Chiss being involved in the war in the first place. I could see another genius Chiss military officer coming out of the Unknown Regions to rid the galaxy of the Vong threat (yeah, I said Vong). We already have a superweapon to get rid of the Vong too but the New Republic is not going to use it, don't let the Empire get their hands on it. That's all I have to say about that. Oh yeah by the way Destiny's Way was off tha hook.

Nova Spice
17 October 2002, 10:20 AM
Tsavong Lah dies honorably like his father before him after his fleet has been almost completely destroyed.

Well I can assure you this won't happen. ;) I won't say anything else for fear of giving away spoilers.

As far as the Grand Admiral Thrawn theory, I have to say that it'd be a real "bummer" to have a Thrawn return from the dead. It really cheapens the story IMO, just as having Chewbacca or Anakin return from the dead would greatly cheapen their deaths and sacrifices.

The superweapon bandwagon has been beat to death IMO and I think its time for something "original" besides a weekly planet-destroying battle station. :D :p

An all out fleet war is a pretty-much sure-fire event I imagine, but I can't bring myself to think Luke, Lando, and Jacen would die all at once. Perhaps one of the three...I would bet on Luke and Lando, Jacen isn't going to die IMO.

Although your hypothesis is pretty well thought out Elfword, I hope that you're wrong on most of your guesses! I just don't want to see another resurrected hero, superweapon, or the death of most of the main characters! :p

By the way, welcome to the Holonet! :D

Marusame
17 October 2002, 11:16 AM
By EmprorsHand03

Well it's been a while since I last posted. So to put my two creds in: You have quite an imagination with that last one, ElfWord, Jacen and Luke are not going to die. Thrawn is not coming back, get over it.

By Nova Spice

Although your hypothesis is pretty well thought out Elfword, I hope that you're wrong on most of your guesses!

I just wanted to point out this:

by ElfWord

. Really, there have been so many plot twists that I don't think I have a decent chance of predicting what will actually happen in the end.

and


Probably none of that will happen, but it would be really awesome if it did.

He didn't say he thought it would happen, in fact he said it probably wouldn't happen. He was just saying what he thought would be cool.

Ardent
17 October 2002, 07:23 PM
Since the Yuuzhan Vong don't seem to be interested in attacking the Chiss, I doubt the Chiss, as a people, will get involved in this conflict. Their participation will likely begin and end with whatever the Fels can wrangle out of House Nuruodo. What we might see is an annexation of the Imperial Remnant into the Cheunh Empire (yeah, I realize this is pretty out of left field, but I've thought it out).

Anyway, hopefully the New Republic will remove the burdensome bureaucracy of a pure Republic with a system with checks and balances.

EmprorsHand03
18 October 2002, 06:18 AM
I missed you guys so much. Ardent have you read Destiny's Way? If so the Republic has changed, if not do so. Marusame, I knew that I was just putting my two creds in. Peace.

Ardent
18 October 2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by EmprorsHand03
I missed you guys so much. Ardent have you read Destiny's Way? If so the Republic has changed, if not do so. Marusame, I knew that I was just putting my two creds in. Peace.

I've read Destiny's Way, and this isn't the thread to be talking about it, so I'll decline on commenting in any tangible way. But trust that I know what you're getting at, and that I disagree with your rather optimistic assessment of the situation.

My observations stand, however, if the New Republic doesn't change, it's just going to collapse on itself again.

EmprorsHand03
20 October 2002, 06:40 PM
I'm glad that you have read it. Then you should have seen some changes in the New Republic. You should also see that it is changing into something that we Americans already have in a government. Other than like the Roman Republic that it resembles.:D

Treefrog
28 October 2002, 10:19 PM
When Vector Prime came out, I was saddened when our honourable friend Chewbacca died heroically. I was depressed when I read about Anakin Solo's sacrifice in Star Wars Insider (before I read Star By Star), I was overjoyed when Mara and Luke experienced the birth of their son Ben. But the deaths of Chewbacca and Anakin will not be nearly as sad if Luke is killed off.

I for one, if I was told to kill off either Luke, Leia, or Han; I would intentionally be out of the country for the next twenty years...;)

I don't even want to even try to predict how it will all end, and speculating about it is kind of pointless, don't you think?