PDA

View Full Version : D6 Questions

khorne
8 June 2002, 04:50 AM
Hello Guys! I'm new here! Well I still play d6 system (and I think I'll continue using it, maybe converting from d20 to d6) but I do have some questions about rules... here they are:

1) May I activate Concentration while keeping another Jedi Power “up”? May I do that when I’ve the Power of Lightsaber Combat up?

2) The rulebook states that Whenever I want to use a Jedi Power requiring two (or more) Abilities (i.e. Control and Perception) I can activate the Power in the same round or in following rounds. Have the rounds to be consecutive? Can I use the Jedi Power of Concentration to activate Control in round 1, and then reusing concentration to activate Perception in round 2? If yes, are there penalties in round 2?

3) Can I employ only an ability to use the lightsaber combat Power - the version described in Heir to the Empire Sourcebook - (i.e. only Control to inflict more or less damages)? If my character wants to use both abilities of Lightsaber Combat’s Power, has he to use them in the same round, or can he use them in consecutive rounds? Has a character using Lightsaber Combat power, penalties in fighting with the lightsaber if he keeps the power up? Or the penalties given when a character uses more abilities in one round don’t apply when one fight with a lightsaber using Lighsaber Combat Power?

4) Say that my character, using the Lightsaber Combat Power, in a given round wants to deflect blaster bolts and, possibly, send against the enemies 3 bolts. How many action my character is doing? When have I to use the “keeping the power up” penalties, considering that deflecting is comprised inside the Lightsaber Combat Power?

5) Say I want to perform action A, but I want to prepare for it. I have these option in mind: can I use them?

+ In round 1 I delay action A and I use Concentration, If I fail Concentration then in round 2 I want to use the bonus for delay (+1D) and retry using Concentration

+ In round 1 I delay Concentration’s activation, without declaring action A, then in round 2 I declare A using the bonus of Concentration that I delayed.

7) Can I use the Enhance Attribute Power to Enhance a Force Ability?

8) Does somebody know the Bill Slavicsek E-mail address?

Thank you

Emanuele

May the Dark Side be with you

Nova Spice
8 June 2002, 06:49 AM
Hello khorne and welcome to the Holonet! I never played the D6 system and have only played the D20 from WotC. This forum probably isn't the place you want to ask this question, so I'll help you out. Down below in the RPG forums, Armage and the great administrators here at the Holonet have an entire forum dedicated to D6 Discussion!
It is run by Form1 and I'm sure the D6 fellas would love to help you out. But I can't even begin to comprehend the questions you asked! I'm a D20 guy! :p

I hope this helps and welcome to the boards! ;)

Krad-edis
8 June 2002, 07:41 AM
First of all, welcome to the Holonet. The D6 Forum is a great place to find just about anything that is D6. (No kidding, right :D)

I don't know how much of a fan of homebrew rules you are on force usage and lightsaber combat, but while you are here check out such threads as the "revised force system". You may just wish to bypass any really confusing rules in the book and use an entirely new approach.

I also recommend this site here (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres15.htm)

Here is an example that may help you out khorne.

Example: Jedi Padawan Xhatan Kullan wishes to throw a series of attacks in which he is improvising from one of his form cadences on Jedi Master Khal Dugat in a simulated lightsaber duel. He has his lightsaber drawn and ignited already and wishes to throw three attacks and one saber reaction at his Master. He has the initiative as his Master takes a Middle Guard stance. He activates “Lightsaber Combat” with his Control of 5D+2 and Sense of 4D+1, both of which suffer the -1D penalty for multi-action. 4D+2 and 3D+1 grant him his Moderate Control roll and his easy Sense roll. His lightsaber skill is 6D, which has now become 9D+1 to hit with the aid of Sense, and his lightsaber damage can be modified up to 9D+2 with the aid of Control. He begins in the middle guard and executes a basic slice, backslash and uppercut slash and return to middle guard. His lightsaber skill is at 9D+1, but since he is taking four additional actions [Attacks (3), return to guard (1)] he is at an additional -4D for all actions this round. This means that he is throwing his attacks all at -4D for a 5D+1 to hit, causing 5D+2 damage to anything his blade hits besides another lightsaber blade.

Kullan: C+S+A1+A2+A3+RG / 6 total actions, total of -5D

Example 2: Jedi Master Khal Dugat waits for his student to attack. Kullan throws his first basic cut, which is easily parried by Master Dugat. Dugat activates his lightsaber combat with his Control of 12 and Sense of 11D+2. He has already decided to see if he can sneak in a combo breaker on his student during the second incoming attack to show him just how dangerous a lightsaber fight can be out of simulation. His Combat Sense grants him the ability to do an extremely hard parry on Kullan’s backslash swipe knocking the Padawan out of guard and into a clash. Both Dugat and Kullan roll Strength. Dugat rolls his 2D+2 Strength + 6D (8D+2) for his 1/2 Control (12D) and Kullan rolls his 3D Strength + 2D+2 for his 1/2 Control (5D+2). Dugat receives a 34, while his apprentice gets a 22. Kullan is knocked off balance and pushed off to the side from Master Dugat’s combo breaker. Master Dugat rolls his (10D-4D) 6D in Alter versus Kullan’s Control of 5D+2 (Kullan barely loses) and force pushes young Kullan across the room into the padded wall. Kullan hits the wall hard enough where he loses his saber, but remains unharmed. As Kullan reaches for his saber, it is telekinetically snatched up by Master Dugat. Dugat scolds him about learning Control and the dangerous usage of backslash moves when an opponent is in Middle Guard, but that he hopes Kullan has learned an important lesson in lightsaber combat.

Round 1
Kullan: C+S+A1+A2: 4 actions total
Dugat: C+S+P1+CB+FP: 5 actions total
Round 2
Dugat: Telekinesis

As for blocking and sending back blaster bolts at your opponents, I just use the counting of actions method, and go from there. If my Jedi is keeping lightsaber combat up, and then rolling two deflect two shots, and then sending the last shot back at the opponent then that is:

C+S (Lightsaber combat)+B1+B2+C: 5 actions total, so a -4D to all actions involved.

I go by the rules of each power I use or action I take (unless it states it as a free action), it is a negative. In other words, unless your Jedi has enough Dice in Control, I wouldn't use Concentration with other force powers unless you were sure to make the difficulties for all actions involved, because if you don't make the Concentration roll, you quite possibly set yourself up for a chain of disasterous rolls with force powers and or a lightsaber, both of which are not good things.
8o

I hope this helps you. Form1 or Moridin should be moving this topic soon, and I urge you to ask D6 related questions in the D6 Forum so you will get a faster response from those who play it.

Grimace
8 June 2002, 02:04 PM
Wow...lots of questions. I'll attempt to answer them.

1. There was recently a thread that spoke of this very "problem". It was decided by a vast majority of the people (and if you read the description of Concentration, it also seems to back up our ruling) that if a Jedi activates Concentration, it cancels everything else out...all other Force Powers. This is due to the fact that, in the write up for Concentration, the Jedi must "clear his mind of all other thoughts". He can't really be concentrating on keeping other powers active while he's clearing his mind of all other thoughts. So the answer to #1 is:
No, you may not activate Concentration while keeping another Jedi power "up".

2. This question is a little tricky. First off, if you choose to activate the power in the same round, you suffer multiple action penalties, since you are rolling more than once for the Jedi power in a single round. The advantage is that you get the power up and running if you make the rolls, even with the reduced chance of success. If you choose to activate it over the course of multiple rounds, I believe the rounds have to be consecutive. So in the case of a power that requires a Sense and Control roll, you can roll Sense one round, and Control must be rolled on the second round. If you don't, the Sense roll is wasted.
Now, if you choose to do this over the course of multiple rounds, the power is NOT active until you successfully roll ALL required rolls.

3. This question sounds like you're talking about activating only one aspect of a two "Force" required roll. As I mentioned in the above question, if you choose to break the roll up over the course of more than one round, the power is NOT active until ALL required rolls are made. So, to answer your question...if I read this one correctly, the character must successfully roll for all requirements to activate the Lightsaber combat before he gets to use the power in any way. Once the power is "up", there is normal multiple actions penalties when doing other things like deflecting shots and stuff.

4. You'll have to read the rules for lightsaber combat. I don't have mine handy, but I believe that deflecting 3 blaster shots would be considered three actions (and you'd have the inherent 1 action for having Lightsaber combat up), so that would be 4 actions, for a total of -3D. This might seem like a lot until you factor in the bonuses of using a lightsaber with the Force. The act of deflecting the shots back at the people who fired them, or other targets, is just determined on the roll for deflecting the shot, I believe. Again...read the rules for Lightsaber combat to better explain this.

5. If you are trying to get Concentration up, you are not "preparing", therefore you will not get the bonus of preparing while you are attempting to activate Concentration...whether you are successful or not. So, essentially, any time you are activating Concentration, you cannot also gain the preparation bonus, as you are too busy activating the power (even if you delay activation, as you still have to roll to get it activated later).

7. (:? What happened to 6?) No, you can't enhance your Force abilities with Enhance Attribute....as the Force is not an attribute.

8. Nope...sorry, I don't know his email. Perhaps someone else does.

Well, that's it. Hopefully I answered your questions. If someone else has something specific to add...be my guest. :)

Welcome to the Holonet, khorne!

The Admiral
9 June 2002, 12:07 PM
lemme have a pop at 'em.

1) May I activate Concentration while keeping another Jedi Power “up”?
Nope. Concentration as a power can only be used in a round with one other action.
"The Jedi may do nothing other than using the Concentration power and using that one skill for one action. The Jedi recieves no bonus if anything else is done in that round including duplicate uses of the same skill or dodges or parries" (SWRPG 2nd Ed R&E pp 143)
Concentration only takes effect during the round in which it is used, and only on one action.

Concentration isn't ideal for a combat skill. The only circumstance I can think of where it could be used is a sniping attack, pretty much all other combat will require many rolls and actions.

2) Have the rounds to be consecutive?
I do not believe so.

Can I use the Jedi Power of Concentration to activate Control in round 1, and then reusing concentration to activate Perception in round 2? If yes, are there penalties in round 2?
You could, however, Concentration only lasts for the round in which it is used, so you would have no benefit whatsoever.

3) Can I employ only an ability to use the lightsaber combat Power - the version described in Heir to the Empire Sourcebook - (i.e. only Control to inflict more or less damages)?
No. You use either a power as listed, or not at all.

If my character wants to use both abilities of Lightsaber Combat’s Power, has he to use them in the same round, or can he use them in consecutive rounds?
If I follow your meaning, you're asking if you have to apply both the Sense dice to hit and the Control dice to damage each time? Well, no, any character can choose to withhold dice from any action.

However, if you mean, as a character brings lightsabre combat up, delaying the sense roll, that they would gain their Control dice to add to damage even though they have yet to roll their Sense dice, then the answer is no. Until both Control and Sense are rolled, the Power is not up, and no bonus' can be used.

Has a character using Lightsaber Combat power, penalties in fighting with the lightsaber if he keeps the power up?
Yes, a character keeping lightsabre combat up is at -2D to all other actions in subsequent rounds.

4) Say that my character, using the Lightsaber Combat Power, in a given round wants to deflect blaster bolts and, possibly, send against the enemies 3 bolts. How many action my character is doing? When have I to use the “keeping the power up” penalties, considering that deflecting is comprised inside the Lightsaber Combat Power?
There are different schools of thought on the number of actions required to deflect blaster bolts. The best answer to give is that your character will start the round at -2D because they are keeping Lightsabre Combat 'up'. You will incur action penalities in addition to that, depending on how your GM rules. This could be as many as 6 extra actions (deflect, dispatch, deflect, dispatch, deflect, dispatch) for a total of -7D to all actions.

+ In round 1 I delay action A and I use Concentration, If I fail Concentration then in round 2 I want to use the bonus for delay (+1D) and retry using Concentration
Nope. Again this is the 'Concentration in one round' bit.

+ In round 1 I delay Concentration’s activation, without declaring action A, then in round 2 I declare A using the bonus of Concentration that I delayed.
Nope. Again this is the 'Concentration in one round' bit.

7) Can I use the Enhance Attribute Power to Enhance a Force Ability?
Grim covered this perfectly.

Ace Calhoon
10 June 2002, 08:03 AM
Deflecting blaster bolts:
Rules on defensive actions were a little ambiguous as of 2nd Ed R&E. The way I run it, the jedi first has to parry the bolt (gaining a multiple action penalty), then has to deflect it (another multiple-action penalty).

This means that a jedi who only parries and deflects one bolt in a round has a penalty of -3D (two actions to keep up LC, one to parry and one to deflect).

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm pretty sure the 'to hit' dice for deflected blaster bolts is the user's CONTROL dice, not lightsaber skill (although I don't have the book with me). Blocking shots is easy, AIMING them is pretty hard.

Rip Jedi
13 June 2002, 09:13 PM
ok i like what you guys are saying but why is a character -2D for keeping a power up i allways thought it was 1D

The Admiral
13 June 2002, 11:49 PM
Because Lightsabre combat uses two Force Skills, Control and Alter.

evan hansen
14 June 2002, 05:21 AM
Just to elaborate on what The Admiral said in case any folks who aren't very familiar with D6 are reading: You lose a D for every action beyond your first action. So if you do 4 actions you lose 3D to those actions. One for each over the initial action. (including having to use multiple force powers - another reason I don't like the WEG set up for the Force.)

Rip Jedi
14 June 2002, 05:44 AM
its still only one power that you are using. the action that you are doing is bringing up the power or keeping up the power. the ammount of die rolls it takes to do it dosnt matter. do you make some one go 1D down for every step they take using the running skill?

GreenCape
14 June 2002, 05:47 AM
If all you did was keep the power active, then yes, you would only get -1D, but you wouldn't be doing anything else. If you want to do something else (e.g. deflect a blaster shot) you are doing other actions as well, so both power skills give a penalty.

The Admiral
14 June 2002, 06:23 AM
I believe I quoted chapter and verse earlier. Keeping any power up where that power uses two Force skills, adds die code penalties for each Skill use. It's really very clearly stated in the rulebook.

Rip Jedi
14 June 2002, 06:26 AM
well the rulebook seems wrong in a fiew places to me but thats just how i do it

Grimace
14 June 2002, 07:36 AM
Well, Rip Jedi, just remember that when you are GM of the game, you can set the die penalties as you feel appropriate. Personally, after a Jedi gets the Lightsaber combat up and running, I only run them with "one action" against them, not two...so you're not alone.

Basically, if you are unsure of the rule, read through the book again. If it doesn't work for your game, tweak things so that they DO work in your game. That's what I always do! :D

Jericho_Narcas
14 June 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by The Admiral
Because Lightsabre combat uses two Force Skills, Control and Alter.

You mean Control and Sense. ;)

Dan Stack
15 June 2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Grimace
Personally, after a Jedi gets the Lightsaber combat up and running, I only run them with "one action" against them, not two...so you're not alone.

During my d6 games I thought of doing this as well. How do you find iit works in your games? Did you still treat it as two actions for bringing it up?

Grimace
15 June 2002, 11:02 AM
Yes, I consider it two actions for bringing it up, as there are two Force rolls that must be made to activate it. Once it's up, however, it's only ONE power, and (in my mind) requires less concentration to keep it going, so it only counts as one action.

From what I've seen, it makes it worthwhile and is easy to remember for the players. They don't have to worry about how many Force rolls were made to activate the power...they just need to know how many powers are being kept up. Simple. Plus, it makes a low skilled Jedi who picks up lightsaber combat a bit more useful, rather than having their bonuses for the power being kept up being negated by the multiple action penalties.

Dan Stack
15 June 2002, 02:37 PM
One option might be to make personally built lightsabers get that bonus of counting as one action.

Another way would be as a house-rule to count all combined Force powers as one action for purposes of keeping up. I remember from my d6 games we kinda needed to do that to make medium-abilitied Jedi characters useful.

GreenCape
16 June 2002, 06:24 AM
Yes, I consider it two actions for bringing it up, as there are two Force rolls that must be made to activate it. Once it's up, however, it's only ONE power, and (in my mind) requires less concentration to keep it going, so it only counts as one action.
In contradiction with my earlier post, i decided a while back to do the same thing: once a power is up, no matter which power and no matter how many skills required, it's still only one power so it only counts as one action. It keeps things a bit more manageable.
Great minds think alike... :D

Dan Stack
16 June 2002, 09:03 AM
That sounds like a good house-rule and a good way to discourage some of the more silly official stats - all those characters with 12D in Force skills seem a little unmanageable but it is encouraged if you need to pay such a high price to keep a power up.

Of course back in my day (1st Edition of WEG) we didn't need no lightsaber combat power - you always added your control to damage! :D

StClair
16 June 2002, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I also run with First-Edition style lightsabers (5D base damage, plus Control) - but then, since I use Evan's modified Force rules, I don't have a lightsaber combat power anyway.

I agree that MAPs of the kind that WEG suggests make beginning Jedi useless until they gain enough D to overcome them, at which point they rapidly become overpowered. It's AD&D wizards all over again.