PDA

View Full Version : Fringers and thier inability to use blasters

Rick Vogt
9 June 2002, 04:16 PM
I have to have a rant session about the RCR.

I understand that they want certain classes to have certain abilities and what not.It all goes in good though to help the whole of the classes. BUT, JUST where do they get off taking the blater pistols away from the fringers????? I mean seriously..........If you are in the fringe THE most dangerous area in space and you are gonna run around without a friggin blaster????? I THINK NOT! Plus the fact that most of the ILLEGAL blasters show up there......yeah they may not have the money to buy the darn things...but I'd be willing to bet JABBAS' Money that they would "FIND" one. :raised: That being said I'm done.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
9 June 2002, 05:22 PM
That's why you don't use d20 and it's archaic class system. :D

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.
I'll shut up now.

MrKenpoJr
13 June 2002, 07:29 PM
That's why you don't use d20 and it's archaic class system.
Yeah, but the problem is I've gotta be friggin' Rain Man to find out if I actually succeded at something using the D6 system. :D

Reverend Strone
13 June 2002, 07:37 PM
There's no rule saying you can't swap out the primitive WP for Blaster Pistols if it's more appropriate to you campaign. I don't really see why it's a big deal. WOTC encourage you to modify and customise the classes to suit your specific adventure setting.

madpoet
13 June 2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by MrKenpoJr

Yeah, but the problem is I've gotta be friggin' Rain Man to find out if I actually succeded at something using the D6 system. :D

Yeah, definately a success... definately. Five minutes to Wapner.

Rick Vogt
13 June 2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
I don't really see why it's a big deal. WOTC encourage you to modify and customise the classes to suit your specific adventure setting.

Rev, I really agree with you on a lot of things. This time though.......

I only have a real problem with it for 2 reasons. The first reason was stated above......and the 2nd is that...

I TOTALLY believe that this being the REVISED CRB should not have had that kind of oversite in it. I mean seriously, I have been a supporter of the SWRPG d20 since it started. I just wish that they would think things through.......or else get my own warped mind into some order. Much of what was done I wou7ld agree to completly....but the raping of the Fringer class was almost in the range of sodomy. Nevermind that most people don't want to play them anyways,(I personally started with one, hence my thoughts flow over). But, then take away their ability to use a blaster and you have to spend a feat to be able to....who in their right mind is really gonna want to do that?

Anyway, sorry if I seem too adament about this, but I think it'sa serious oversite.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
14 June 2002, 08:05 AM
WHat they should have done:

is leave the fringer class alone, and make a new class: primitive

that'd cover your very most backwater inhabitants, and species such as ewoks and stuff... I've that funny feeling that this what the RCB staff was thinking when they revamped the fringer...
If and when using the okina-rdae program, you could always add in the blaster pistol feat using the GM's priivlege option...

think about this: does an ewok warrior need blasters if he's a fellow tribal warrior with his kinsmen? i'd use the soldier class for the warrior but no way does he need the blaster & vibro feats :p

One thing is this, you can get the blaster pistol if you multiclass...

Well, no gaming system is perfect...

Reverend Strone
14 June 2002, 03:53 PM
Rev, I really agree with you on a lot of things. This time though.......

No problem Rick. I appreciate what you mean, I just dont have too much of a problem with it myself. Actually, I think Terras kinda hit the nail on the head with his post above. It's hard to imagine an Ewok and a guy from Tatooine starting out in the same class. Perhaps the definition of a Fringer was too broad.

Anyways, I just retailored it to my game setting and never thought about it again, but I do conceed you have a point.

Nova Spice
15 June 2002, 03:37 PM
Talk to your GM Rick and find out if he will allow the Fringer to have WP Blaster Pistols if it is appropriate for your campaign. An alternative option for the Fringer, which I have considered is to give him/her WP Slugthrowers. That represents the downgrading of technology in my mind by giving the Fringer the slugthrower WP. Sure its not a blaster, but it is a ranged weapon. Basically that is what is so cool about the D20 System, the fact that you can customize anything you want. It wasn't really oversight, more like a generic outline of what MOST Fringers would have, not ALL.
Dont be discouraged Rick and remember that usually the best rules, are the ones you make yourself! ;) Unless of course, the GM doesn't like it! :p

Rick Vogt
16 June 2002, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I just had to say something about it though. As stated previously, I like the fringer class. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and posts.

So far in our group, no one is using a fringer. I started with one in our old campaign. Now I play a tech soldier. I really have a lot of respect for the tech class, so things are well in hand. I have also talked with my GM about a month ago when the RCR first was available here. We do agree on what I have stated in this rant.

Thanks again, and anyone else who reads this please go ahead and share your views if you like.