PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine was a wimp?!?!?!?

Mayhem
12 June 2002, 07:28 AM
My rant comes from the fact that in Attack of the Clones (AotC) the only real bit of subtle <so called> manipulation by Palpy was done to a Gungan! And not just any Gungan... but JAR JAR!!!!! Good Gods people!!! This means that if that was the best that Palpy could do then most of the rest of the galaxy must be populated by complete MORONS.

Why didn't we see Palpy trying to roll over Bail Oragana with subtle manipulations?? Or even overtly?? Because Bail has 2 IQ pts between his ears and was obviously a great threat to the would-be Emporer. Palpatine was all smoke and mirrors if that was the best he could do.

We're supposed to hate this guy the way he eventually drags everyone and everything down into darkness, but to be honest, I just have no sympathy for a stupid galaxy. They got what they deserved; an inept Emperor ruling over a pointless galaxy. Which is ironic because that pretty much sums up this rant, but hey, I feel better.

The Admiral
12 June 2002, 07:39 AM
Given that you start out by saying you're on a rant, I would have thought that it would have been obvious that this thread belongs in Rants and Raves.

Moving,,,

VixenofVenus
12 June 2002, 07:59 AM
Well ... no spoiler warning ... but you already threw out some spoilers ... so I'll respond in kind:

Lets see all the manipulation Palpy did,

1. He was in office at the beginning of the movie after his term was already up. He convinced the Senate to let him stay to handle the crisis of the Army Creation Act. - Manipulated the Whole Senate by first getting Dooku to get worlds to seceed, then by getting the Republic Senate to start a Army Creation Act, all the while he was outwardly opposed to it of course.

2. He manipulated the Jedi Order and placed the Clone Army order under their name ...

3. He manipulated the Jedi Order by getting them to in fact lead the Illegally Created Clone Army, getting many of them killed.

4. And then of course, he is manipulating the entire GALAXY into liking him, including one young impressionable Jedi ...

BRodgers
12 June 2002, 08:04 AM
I'm bored, so I'll bite.....

Your line of logic makes little sense Mayhem. I mean, think about it...if you are trying to manipulate someone, are you going to focus on someone who is clueless(which jar jar certainly IS)...or someone who has the ability to possibly see through your ruse?

If anything Palpatine knew exactly what he was doing...preying on the weak minded to get what he wanted.

Should we expect any less from a Sith?

BrianDavion
12 June 2002, 11:10 AM
indeed. Palpy through out that movie was manapulating Anakin.. you err did sort of see that right?

"you don't need guidance Anakin"

ohh then the fact that he arrrranged for Anakin and Padme's paths to cross again

dgswensen
13 June 2002, 02:19 PM
If Palpatine was manipulating anyone to get what he wanted, it was Mas Amedda... after all, it was Amedda who made the broad play of "oh, if only Amidala were here."

You also seem to be implying that just because Palpatine had the perfect sucker in Jar Jar, he should have gone for someone more intelligent and difficult. That makes no sense. Palpatine didn't get to be in a position of power by taking a lot of unecessary risks out of overcinfidence. He saw an opportunity to make Amedda and Jar Jar into patsies, and took it. It's no slam on his abilities by a long shot.

Jastor
15 June 2002, 03:12 AM
but who here havent seen it yet?? :)

well. heres my thought:

if you read between the lines, its not hard to understand just who ordered the clones (Palpatine) for his personal use to do a hostile takeover over the the senate..

with the "help of Dooku", since the planets would have left the old republic and "therefore" weakening the strengths of the jedis there would be little resistance.

since they discovered some of his plans (even thou not aware of it) he had to modify the plans a little.

wimp?

no .. coldblooded .. calculating ... EVIL ... *salutes*

Dark72Jedi
17 June 2002, 01:25 PM
Not to mention that he has been manipulating everyone since Episode I and probably before. He has accomplished many things:

1. He has shown that the Republic is weak with corruption setting up a situation where people will be happy with a strong rule.
2. He has begun the decimation of the Jedi, the only people that could probably stop him.
3. He has gotten the Republic to back his new army and they don't even know it (good old Jar Jar, Naboo seems full of dupes).
4. He has gotten the Senate to give him emergency powers which he will never give up.
5. He has found his new apprentice, the strongest of the Jedi.
6. He has set up a situation (using the dupe Padme) where he would be elected Chancellor.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but Palpatine is anything but weak...maybe physically, but not mentally.

Pel
7 July 2002, 09:33 PM
Lest we forget that all knowledge derives from the teachings of Ben Kenobi:

"The Force has a strong effect on the weak minded"
So, Jar-Jar, weak-minded clumsy fool that he is, single-handedly brought about the fall of the Republic. Yup, should've fed him to the Opee Sea Killer and been done with it...

Jastor
12 July 2002, 01:41 PM
Pel:
youre wrong..

since they found out that someone had ordered the clones, and that they should use them instead, palpatine manipulated everyone into getting "official" control over it..

if they hadnt discovered, he would have control over it as planned.

i recall hearing the cloner saying something about "changing" how clones react/behace/think .. im sure that palpatine/dooku put a failsafe there somewhere.

Sithspawn
13 July 2002, 02:16 AM
I'm going to make a moral stand here.

Palpatine is a wimp. Vader is a wimp. All the bad guys are wimps.

Why?
Because they havn't got the strength of mind to be anything better than bitter and twisted. It takes a lot stronger person to be a Jedi, or say no to the temptaions of the Dark Side.

Jastor
13 July 2002, 04:36 AM
DO keep in mind that there are a lot of bad guys that arent affiliated with the force in any way..

and what would you say if you meet a bad guy thats glad and happy all the time?? :) that doesnt to anything evil at all .. would you like to read about that in books?? ;)

its hard to be a "dark sider" to .. when you reach a certain level.. you must go on and on and on and on or else to be consumed .. which they are anyway.

Corr Terek
13 July 2002, 04:30 PM
Actually, there was such a Dark Sider once. he was called Lord Nyax. Nyax wasn't really evil. He just had the mind of a 3-year-old and acted accordingly. Thus, most of the time he was actually pretty childish-happy. He made an interesting Dark Sider, if u ask me.