PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Coruscant

Stroth Marund
16 June 2002, 08:20 PM
I have a question about Coruscant after Return of the Jedi.

In the New Republic books out there, its obvious that the Rebel Alliance took over Coruscant from the Empire, and formed the New Republic there. I haven't read any of the books (except for the Thrawn Trilogy) and I was wondering, when did the Rebels take it over?

I'm guessing it happened about a year after Endor. After all, the Rebels have to recuperate, they lost a lot of people there. The battle probably also gained them a lot more supporters. The victory scene in Return of the Jedi actually shows some footage of Coruscant in the middle of some major riots. (That had to be fun for the Coruscant Guard)

Also, this gives time for the battle to actually happen (if there was a battle). It most likely took them a while to take over. In some books I've heard, they're still rebuilding some of the damage done. So, that puts another year of cleanup.

After that, the New Republic is actually formed. This period also has Imperials running around for their lives, and Ithink the rise of Thrawn. The Thrawn trilogy is supposedly set four years after Endor. This theory of mine gives this more than enough time to be vialbe.

Any help with this would be nice. I'm a curious bystander. Actually I want to run a campaign focused on the "Battle of Coruscant." Any info would be very useful.

>WHEW!<

Nova Spice
16 June 2002, 08:49 PM
Stroth, the epic Battle of Corusant took place two and a half years after the Battle of Endor and can be found in the X-wing novels by Michael A. Stackpole (I highly recommend! They are on par with the Thrawn Trilogy! Excellent books!)
To sum it up and not to spoil too much, the Rebels launched their attack from nearby Borleias with Rogue Squadron leading the way (you know of Wedge Antilles I'm sure). Ackbar commanded the Rebel Fleet aboard the Home One as the Rebels roared out of hyperspace into the Coruscant System. The Emancipator and the Liberator, two Imperial-class Star Destroyers captured at Endor also lead the battle groups. The Rebels took over the planet with less resistance than you might think and I don't want to tell you why simply because it contains spoilers to the X-wing series. You'll enjoy it more if you read for yourself!
I know that almost the entire Rebel fleet and then some participated in the Battle of Coruscant and it was almost an overwhelming defeat for the Empire in terms of the loss ratio. The Empire lost its capital and most of the ships destroyed were on the Imperial side. The Rebels basically succeeded at Coruscant where they were defeated at Endor; they actually took the Empire by surprise!
Well I hope that helps! If I were you, I'd read the X-wing novels. You will not find better Star Wars books than the ones in that series (there are nine novels in all). Welcome to the Holonet! :D

Stroth Marund
17 June 2002, 06:32 PM
Okay, thats cool. Was there any ground battle on Coruscant? The Rebels had to set up camp down there somehow? I'm guessing a lot of Urban Special Forces was used.

Nova Spice
17 June 2002, 06:40 PM
Let's just say that when I said the Rogues lead the way, I did not mean in space necessarily....:D That should give you a hint. Yes, the ground operation was a MAJOR part, but it would reveal a little too much if I gave you the details. Let's just say that you were guessing along the right lines! By the way, this all takes place in Wedge's Gamble (book #2 of the X-wing series), but I highly recommend starting with book #1 which is simply titled X-wing: Rogue Squadron. Here's a quick list for you.

#1. X-wing: Rogue Squadron
#2. X-wing: Wedge's Gamble
#3. X-wing: The Krytos Trap
#4. X-wing The Bacta War
#5. X-wing: Wraith Squadron
#6. X-wing: Iron Fist
#7. X-wing: Solo Command
#8. X-wing: Isard's Revenge
#9. X-wing: Starfighters of Adumar

The series is so fast-paced and exciting with a GREAT plot, you will not want to put it down. Many people agree that the X-wing books along with the Thrawn Trilogy are the pinnacle of Star Wars novels. I hope that helps and I encourage you to read these books. Besides, what better way to experience the fall of Coruscant than reading the novels for yourself? :D

P.S. The Thrawn Trilogy is set five years after Endor, so you were close with your estimate of four. ;)

Reverend Strone
17 June 2002, 08:28 PM
Well I don't know about Stroth, but I'm sold. Thanks Nova, or should I say Michael Stackpole's Publicity Agent!

Seriously though, that was a glowing endorsement. I've only read the Zahn stuff. tried some of the others, but just couldn't get into them. I must admit I never tried the Rogue Squadron X-Wing series though. I think I will now.

Pardon the off topic asside. I'm definately keen to read about the assault on Coruscant after Nova's exciting preview blurb.

Nova Spice
18 June 2002, 06:59 AM
Great Rev, Mike pays me on commission! :D In all seriousness, the X-wing novels are really great. The characters are very life-like, very deep, and bring you into the story, IMO, more than Zahn's characters, that is, as far as being able to relate to the characters. The battles are very dramatic and you can actually feel the danger and feel the anxiety. All I can say is once you read the first chapter of X-wing: Rogue Squadron, you will be hooked. I also believe the first chapter contains my quote. B)
I'm happy I peaked your interest Rev and I hope you enjoy the books as much as I did! :)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
18 June 2002, 08:01 AM
Just thought that I would join Nova Spice in saying that the X-Wing books are a great read. And a definite prereq. for NJO now in order to understand the Enemy Lines books.

Rogue Janson
18 June 2002, 11:40 AM
The X-Wing novels are like the most mentalist Roleplaying games you can imagine.
"So, now you've stolen this corvette, what are you going to do?
Weeelll, we were thinking of bluffing Warlord Zsinj and pretending nothing had happened.
Have you any idea what Warlord Zsinj's sense motive is? Here's a clue - it's pretty high.
No, but we should get a circumstance bonus for having encountered him before .... um, in an X-Wing."

Actually, though I don't want to spoil things, there is presumably a lot of conflict on the ground that's not mentioned in Wedge's Gamble. Whatever you do to it, Coruscant is always going to be a hive of stormtroopers.

Stroth Marund
22 June 2002, 06:04 PM
Cool, I'll be sure to to read them. They sound interesting anyways. I was hoping to do a ground based campaign (or at least as ground based as you can get on Coruscant), possibly even storming the Imperial Palace itself. Note I said campaign, it builds up to this in the beginning and the last, um, half(?) of the campaign will be the actual invasion.

I also heard that a resurrected Emperor retook Coruscat? I read the first book of the Jedi Acdemy series and got a little confused. Mostly because I read something somewhere that said it was set after that little ordeal. Can somebody clear this up for me?

Wade Trenor
22 June 2002, 06:36 PM
Ten years after the Battle of Yavin, the Emperor was reborn into a clone body. He resumed control of the remnant, and launched a campaign to retake Coruscant. He was successful, although the Alliance prepared a counter strike and reclaimed the New Republic's capitol.

This all occured during the comic series Dark Empire I, which was continued in Dark Empire II and Empire's End.

Rouge8
22 June 2002, 06:56 PM
x-wing series yes. What about Crimson Empire, When do the scum retake coruscant rebel scum to be specific.

Tem_Starrunner
10 July 2002, 01:28 PM
The New Republic retook Coruscant about seven yrs after Endor (there has been no exact time given but Jedi Search starts after the retake).

Also just to note when the New Republic took Coruscant it should be consider The Battle For Coruscant. When the Empire retook Coruscant it was The Second Battle For Coruscant. While Thrawn's attack on Coruscant would be a considered a Battle Of Coruscant (There is at least three battles of Coruscant).

Sorry to nag but OF and FOR have different conditation. In this case it indicates the importants of the battle in history.

gmjabreson
22 October 2006, 08:21 AM
Thrawn's Battle of Coruscant I would almost consider not a battle, but a Seige. No ground forces were deployed to take the planet, just lots of Cloaked Asteroids to seal off the planet from travel. Thus it blocked the New Republics command from the Military, cutting off the head basically.

The X-wing books, and Thrawn Trilogy I agree are great reads, and I've also recommended them to my friends. Used to have a group of my friends that would get together during school lunch and talk about Star Wars from the books while someone else was trying to read them, just to pick on him. We were picked on by others cause we read them, it was only fitting for the group to pick on those that were now reading and enjoying what we already knew was there to be enjoyed.

wolverine
23 October 2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Well I don't know about Stroth, but I'm sold. Thanks Nova, or should I say Michael Stackpole's Publicity Agent!

Seriously though, that was a glowing endorsement. I've only read the Zahn stuff. tried some of the others, but just couldn't get into them. I must admit I never tried the Rogue Squadron X-Wing series though. I think I will now.

Pardon the off topic asside. I'm definately keen to read about the assault on Coruscant after Nova's exciting preview blurb.

I will put it this way. When i am bord, and want to read something, i more often than not, start with the xwing series, then move onto zhans novels.

gmjabreson
24 October 2006, 09:11 AM
yeah when I had the books I would do it almost that way, I had actually spent the time to put all the books I had, which was all of them leading up to the NJO Books (sorry no Young Jedi either), in chronological order, which took some time since they weren't always released in Chronological order.

But I think that if I were to rate the "Book sets" (ie: Thrawn Trilogy, Thrawn Duology, X-wings) I would have to rate it as Thrawn Trilogy being my favorites all time, X-wing Series (though do like the Wraith Squadron episodes better), and the Thrawn Duology before the others.

But as for Coruscant, one could almost say there was quite a few. Clone Wars Era when the Seperatists attacked to get Palpy, again when the Rebels took control, another when Thrawn dropped the asteroids off. Again when the Empire retook Coruscant, once more when the rebels retook it again from the Empire and finally caused the total collapse of the Empire. Again when the Vong captured Coruscant in NJO, and when the Galactic Alliance took it back.

So 7 (?) Battles occurred on or above Coruscant in 35 years? Rough guess since I've yet to read any of the NJO books.

Stratos
27 October 2006, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Frobi-Wan Kenobi
Just thought that I would join Nova Spice in saying that the X-Wing books are a great read. And a definite prereq. for NJO now in order to understand the Enemy Lines books.

Right!

I had dismissed the X-Wing novels when they first came out but once I read them (still in the `90s people - where have you been?) I loved them. They are great and really add depth to the ongoing EU throughout the NJO and now Legacy.

gmjabreson
31 October 2006, 06:34 AM
yep, definately great books to read. Hard to believe that the last of the Thrawn Trilogy books was released 11 years ago 8o . Where has the time gone to?

Mr_Danders
28 February 2008, 07:51 PM
Personally,I love the X-wing books because,since they don't focus on the big-name heroes,characters can and do die,especially in the Wraith Squadron novels.It really adds some tension when the heroes don't have script immunity.

stunnedtodeath
21 March 2008, 07:52 AM
You're right in line w/ my thoughts Mr_Danders. One of the reasons I like the X wing series over other novels was the real possibility that one of your fav characters would die or did die.

Mr_Danders
23 March 2008, 02:32 AM
Of course,the fact that Stackpole and Allston are
pretty darn good writers doesn't hurt either...:D

By the way,has anyone else read I,Jedi ,also by Stackpole?Chock-full of Correllian Jedi Goodness.