PDA

View Full Version : Thirty Five Thousand

vmnjn
17 June 2002, 05:33 PM
I have often wondered about the Star Destroyers. Most references state a crew of 35,000 per one-mile long ship. That is an awfully high number when you take into account the massive engines, hangar bay, and armor/weaponry. However similar sized Rebel ships only have crews of a few thousand and do fine.

Where do they store all the food 35,000 people would eat three times a day?
Is this some sort of unknown force power?
"Feel the power of the dark side as I make ten thousand pizzas." (Bad Darth Vader Impression)

wolverine
18 June 2002, 03:40 AM
redundancy.. Probabily most imp ISD's have 2 or 3 of everything, which needs crewing. That and the mon cal's made their ships better and more efficient..

Chris Curtis
18 June 2002, 05:39 AM
Have you really ever considered how enormously huge a starship a mile (1600 m) long would be? Doing a very rough estimate, an ISD takes up a volume somewhere on the order of 1 billion (that's 1,000,000,000) cubic meters.

For the sake of argument, we'll just say there are 40,000 people on board an ISD, including crew, troops, visiting personnel, stowaways, whatever. That comes out to 25,000 cubic meters per person.

To give you an idea of how big such a space is, take an American football field (or a small football/soccer field) of 100x50 m. Now, build a roof over it that's 5 m (11 ft) off the ground. All that space is yours. That is a LOT of space.

Now let's assume that 2/3 of that is dedicated to engines, hangar space, mess halls, refreshers, and the offices' full coruscant-sized grav-pool among other things. That still leaves each person on the ship a space 50x33x5 m to call their own.

Oh, I'd say there's plenty of room on an ISD for the amount of crew it has. If anything, I'd say the quoted crew for some of the smaller ships is awfully small...

FallenAngel
18 June 2002, 06:57 AM
i would agree with our freind chris... and also, most of the stormtroopers, at lesat, live in barracks. and im sure most of the juniour officers and enlisted crew at least share rooms.

Rogue Janson
18 June 2002, 11:45 AM
The cross sections book for the original trilogy has a very pretty cut-away picture of a star destroyer, complete with huge sections storing water, grain and the like.

Ravager_of_worlds
19 June 2002, 06:29 AM
plus you know how large, galactic bureacracies think right? if the economy is doing bad, employ more people through taxes... well, since Palp was sucking the galactic economy dry for the Empire... he had the money! He has so many responsibilities as Emperor that doesn't include 'looking mean to young post adolescent teens looking to redeem their fathers'

if you got the starships and the people to man them, create jobs! you can always use those 'extra hands' to show up at military rallies, parade around whenever you want to show force.

also, something tells me before the rebellion ever began, reality holonet shows like "Troops" (watch this on www.theforce.net) or "Real World 80: Officers of the bridge". having that many people helps flesh out the might of the Empire. When you have thousands of people on camera shouting "Palpatine! Palpatine!" that gives an air that the Emp is widely liked and needed.

The Admiral
23 June 2002, 09:13 AM
Adding to fray, bear in mind that the total number of crew on most warships would be in excess of three times what is required to actually operate it. Organics (even stromtroopers) need sleep, rest, and low-stress periods (r&r) With that in mind, the figure of 36,755 (crew of an ISD2) would mean during normal cruising operations, only 12,251 crew would actually be working. The only way I can see that working is if an ISD has a number of droids on board of truly staggering proportions.

AWingJock
4 July 2002, 05:24 PM
Could just be two shifts too. Don't always get the luxury of having three shifts, I don't know how most combat vessels do it today, but I know the Army typically only supports two shifts. Food for thought.

Reverend Strone
4 July 2002, 05:42 PM
I'm guessing on board computer systems in an ISD could handle a good deal of the responsibilities usually handled by human crew in our Earth-bound military, cutting crew requirements down a wee way too.

Darth_Cassed
4 July 2002, 09:21 PM
Keep in mind the Emperor had money AND technology, the Empire had staggering technological advances which the Rebellion did not, their computers are probably much more advanced, and as easy to pilot as the Milennium Falcon- push coordinates, pull a lever.

loudanddeep
25 July 2002, 01:43 PM
To put it in perspective a Nimitz Class carrier which is ONLY 300 meters long (yep, that is it), has a crew of well over 6000, (actually, I think it is about 8000 with the flight crews...).

The SD is wider than the carrier is long....heck it might be taller to....

Now, on the other hand, it depends on how redundant you want to be, and how maitenence intensive the ship is.

Ok, and if you dont like the number change it....
Personally, I would make it about 12,000.....but that is just me.
(I think most ofthe ship is engines ....that is how they are so fast for their size, but that is me).

dp

joshuadivine
26 July 2002, 02:47 PM
One reason to have such a large crew is that battle causes casualties. If you have 3 times the crew you need, then you can take 66% casualties in a battle and get along fine. It also make sthe suckers impossible to board, and think of all the cooks, janitors (or droid repairman), computer programmers, etc. would be on a ship that size!
Plus it is possible that they are including stormtroopers, pilots, AT-__ drivers. Rebel ships are usually smaller, and do not stay in space for such long amounts of time as ISDs. Plus, they usually do not have even a quarter as much grounsd troops. As far as food storage space, it would take up relatively little space compared to fuel. Probably just 10,000cuboc meters or so.