PDA

View Full Version : Poor Moderator Judgement

Dachande
17 June 2002, 09:16 PM
I deleted my previous statement and have unsuccessfully tried to delete the whole thread. I should have made it a private concern.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
17 June 2002, 09:26 PM
You do know that this site has no 'official' connection to Wizards of the Coast right? I think you might be talking about the official boards over at wizards.com.

I may be wrong, I just don't remember anything being said about that here, though I will be the first to admit that I think that everything has a place and the place to discuss the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon shouldn't be a big thing on a SW fan website.

As for your comments about Moridin - It's his site. If he thinks that all members have to have screen names with Darth in them then I guess everyone gets a name with Darth in it. If you don't want to play by the rules, don't come here.

I know exactly how Moridin feels. While I was in High School my mother was a subsitute School Nurse. Sometimes somebody I knew would go and see her. That night she would tell me about them and I would thank them later for being so nice to her (if they were).

I think that Moridin has the same type of reasoning behind his posting.

Grimace
17 June 2002, 09:29 PM
Well first off, I think this would have been better being addressed specifically to the person you were referring to (and we all know who that is), in an email or private message. Putting up something that is bordering on a personal attack is not a professional thing to do.

Secondly, Moridin is an Administrator...meaning both he and Armage essentially own and operate this site. For all intents and purposes, what they choose to do is whatever they want to do. They aren't just common people like the rest of the Moderators on this board, who only do this (like me) on their own free time and at the request of either Armage or Moridin. They make the rules.

Finally, the story is meant to be taken with a light heart, as it was a story of a mother trying (unsuccessfully) to boast about her son's work. Moridin wasn't trying to belittle the person to whom his mother spoke. He was only trying to show to that person that the "crazy lady" wasn't so crazy. I thought the story was funny. Obviously you didn't...that is your prerogative. In the future, however, I suggest that if you have a problem with the way someone does something, you handle it via email. Posting something like you did is rather tacky and only shows that you haven't spent the time to get to know people on this website.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion on your part. I'd hate to see someone come on here long enough just to make enemies and get kicked off.

Jedi_Staailis
17 June 2002, 09:39 PM
This moderator had the audacity to go on here and the Star Wars mailing list to say that we shouldn't talk about September 11th that this isn't the place for it and so on.
Personally, I believe that this website, and places of discussion related to SWRPG in general, was not the proper place to express feelings on the events of September 11th. Several times since, I have gotten into heated debates about the attacks themselves, and the response to them. If I can debate that strongly with people I know well, and who, in general, have a similar background to mine, think of how much worse it would have been on the boards here, which have so much more diversity. The arguments would have completely taken over. I'm not saying that September 11th and its repercussions don't need to be discussed. I'm just saying a SWRPG message board is not the place for it.

And then a short time later he came back and told every one that WOTC has stated that it would be alright for the time being considering what has happened.
I don't think I read either of those particular posts, but WotC doesn't run this website. The webmasters of this site decide what is allowed here, and Moridin is one of those webmasters. As for the mailing list, he's free to express his opinion that the events are inappropriate for discussion.

Yet I have to say some thing now because he has now suddenly put up a decently lengthed article about his mother and her encounter with a stranger.
Personally, I liked the article. It was an interesting story. I know I wouldn't have liked the discussion about September 11th immediately after the event.

Reverend Strone
17 June 2002, 10:09 PM
The only poor judgement being exercised here is on the part of someone who has publicly criticised another person when that exceptionally subjective matter of opinion would have been more appropraitely handled in a private e-mail or message. Dachande what did you hope to gain by posting this openly? You have said more about your own judgement than Moridin's in proceeding with this course of action. Regardless of whether anyone else views you claim as legitimate or irrelevant, this is not the correct forum for such a dissagreement. You would have been better advised to take the matter up with the Administrators directly.

In reaction to your actual complaint, since it now appears to be a public domain, I'm surprised frankly, that you've been visiting this site for so long and yet have somehow missed the spirit of co-operation, fun and goodwill that pervades this place and makes it so unique on the internet. Had you understood that concept, I doubt you be being eaten by this gripe.

Grimace
18 June 2002, 07:28 AM
With the editing done by Dachande, this thread now seems to be moot. Thank you, Dachande, for choosing the better option for dealing with your dissatisfication.

Closing thread.