PDA

View Full Version : Dash Rendar and the Outrider

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
18 June 2002, 02:31 PM
Due to all of the hoop-la over Kyle Katarn possibly being in the NJO I asked myself - What happened to Dash?

I can't even remember if he is ever mentioned in a novel other then Shadows.

Thoughts?

Superdog
18 June 2002, 03:33 PM
At the end of the Shadow of the Empire: Evolutions, Dash shows up alive and well with no fanfare and no explanation. He's just sitting there. Chances are he's fighting the Yuuzhan Vong in some capacity, since him and Solo are cut from the same cloth, so he probably realized that the galaxy is served better by him beating up baddies than him lazing around hitting on women.

Rouge8
18 June 2002, 06:10 PM
Dash should fight he cook butt.

Nova Spice
18 June 2002, 06:50 PM
My guess and theory since Dash is one of my favorite characters, is that after his "death" in Shadows, he ventured into Wild Space where he more than likely continued his smuggling operations for a few years, collecting enough money to retire peacefully for the rest of life. I imagine that Dash was thrown back into the thick of things when the Vong took over Coruscant. Knowing Dash, he probably shook the invasion off as the incompetence of the New Republic government and until Coruscant fell, he probably didn't realize how serious this threat was. When the capital fell I bet he suited up, grabbed his blaster, turned on Leebo, and powered up the Outrider to join the fight. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he and a certain Mandalorian suited bounty hunter had worked on a few operations together. Or this could be an idealistic hope of what I wish was going on.....:D

Dan Kyrinov
18 June 2002, 09:08 PM
I think Dash took advantage of his 'death' and swapped out his identity. I would like to see him return in some capacity, but perhpas not under the same name. At the end of the book in which he is a major guest star (you know, not the main hero, but one of the big players) he leaves word with one or two people he trusts about who he really is and where they can contact him, as he heads off for more adventure. Then, in the finale, he shows up as a major character, a flyboy who ships around some Jedi on a final mission. That's my dream, anyway, I like Dash and hope to see him in the EU in some fashion.

Zanus
25 June 2002, 03:52 PM
Face it, Dash Rendar is Dead!
D

E

D

DEAD!

The book clearly stated that the chunk slammed into the cockpit of the Outrider, with a nice handy explosion. Might have been the whole ship. (admitedly been a few years, but I do remember reading the paragraph several times to make sure of what I was reading, mostly out of disbelief).

Put simply the author did not want to have to worry about other Authors trying to work Dash into their story lines, or future storylines, cause you can be sure if he truly did survive, he woulda had a major part in galactic polotics, simply cause he helped bring down Xizor and the main framework of Dark Sun.

The only reason any other titles/games showed Dash alive is fan appeasment. wouldn't you have wanted to be the author/producer that showed Dash alive and well, especially if you wheren't sure if your title was gonna be as good as hoped? The game of the book didn't realy have to worry about such a thing IMHO. I have never really accepted any of the comic books unless a novel (preferably several) directly aknowledge the events of the comics (like Dark Empire I, and several of the X-wing books.)

Anyway, I seriously doubt if Dash is gonna show up in any capacity. He was a means to an end for SotE, and enjoyed his fan fair while it lasted. Boba Fett is old and quit cripled, and is proly just sitting back, with a beer in one hand and a remote in the other, wathcing everything unfold and laughing (or crying, never know with him)

Anyway, Dash is Dead, man. Blaim society, I do...B)

Deck
26 June 2002, 12:51 PM
Weel, folks, this is a tricky topic. ;) There were already lengthy discussions about that matter. It's similar like the always-present question "Is Thrawn really dead?".

Anyway, there are two sources, and two opinions. Novel versus comic... Okay, the novel was published much earlier than the comic <i>Evolution</i>. Now there's the difficult question, which source to believe more. There are fans only reading the novels, not the comics, and the other way round.

So it's pretty up to you and your imagination. I think the NJO series is ending in August 2003, and then we'll know at the latest if Dash had another appearance.

There is no real answer to this question. :)

Rouge8
26 June 2002, 05:34 PM
20034. To soon. Dash is not dead. I say he lived. If I have to i will use a clone.

Zanus
27 June 2002, 06:16 PM
Alright, it seems that even Lucas believes Dash is alive. Can't realy argue with Big L.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/dashrendar/eu.html

Superdog
27 June 2002, 07:44 PM
Oops. Accidental post.:)

Urshawada
28 June 2002, 10:33 PM
If you remember back in the day when Shadows was released Lucas was testing the marketing abilities of the companies that held licenses for SW products. So he did a multimedia blitz and blanketed the story across the spectrum of products, the novel, comics, trading cards, RPG, video game, etc…. with a little bit of the story told in each item.
Anyway at the end of the Nintendo 64 game you took the Outrider and blow up the skyhook reactor, and everyone thinks your dead the screen changes to the Outrider flying through hyperspace, and pans to a very alive Dash saying to his droid ( forgot it’s name) that it is better off everyone thinking that he is dead.

Zanus
29 June 2002, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I remember that, although you had to unlock the special ending by beating the hard setting. I am still wondering what you would get for the realy hard setting.

And the droid was Leebo (leeboo?)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
3 July 2002, 04:15 PM
Knowing G.L, he'll likely toss in Dash into one of these books...

Authors may have created new chars for their plots and stories, but in the end, the big flanneled one has the final say.

Yep, dash is one of my fav chars also. It's the sole reason for the choice of my char's ship :)

Hopefully, when Dash comes out of hiding with both turrets blazing, wingman style for the Falcon, or saving the Falcon's bacon at a key moment... . we'll see dash live, rather than go down in flames. That growing bodycount list makes me weary now...

Pel
6 July 2002, 11:20 AM
100 Credits says Talon Karrde has a very good idea where Dash is.

"What do you mean Republic Credits are no good here?!?":p

jordanian
15 July 2002, 11:02 PM
I'd really liek to see if he stayed with Guri, as he did buy her a drink in that bar. But in my opinion, I'd like the think Dash is fighting, but he probably wouldn't be. After his 'death' he could've returned and helped the rebels, but he didn't. He's basically like "what what Han Solo have been like if he didn't go back to Yavin 4?" I don't think Dash would be on the frontline fighting, but maybe if something REALLY motivated him.

AceStarlighter
24 January 2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Pel
100 Credits says Talon Karrde has a very good idea where Dash is.

agreed.
yes, also it'd be cool if Dash stayed with Guri...but abit weird. tho apparently she can do almost all the functions of a normal human being.

Vash Knives
24 January 2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by AceStarlighter
yes, also it'd be cool if Dash stayed with Guri...but abit weird. tho apparently she can do almost all the functions of a normal human being.
Interesting...B)

Ardent
30 January 2004, 12:12 AM
Dash is one of those "hanging threads" nobody likes to mention. Insofar as he goes, I'd suspect he stayed mercenary for as long as he could in the YV conflict. Once sides had to be chosen, I very much doubt he'd be able to reconcile joining the Peace Brigade (Dash may be a mercenary, but he's a scoundrel, not a thug). Chances are he fought his own private war against the YV, much like Boba Fett. The two probably crossed each others' paths a few times during the conflict.

I admit I'd love seeing Dash get some after-work of his own. He's easily the most charismatic one-off character in the whole of Star Wars. Another video game...with flying and shooting and stuff...mmm...

Nova Spice
30 January 2004, 09:57 PM
Chances are he fought his own private war against the YV, much like Boba Fett. The two probably crossed each others' paths a few times during the conflict.

Agreed. This has been my feeling concerning Dash all along. And who knows? Perhaps there will be more stories told in the NJO to further flesh out the era?

I know many people would love to have a Tales of the New Jedi Order novel to show the adventures of some of the lesser characters in the galaxy.

Jedi Master Talon
31 January 2004, 10:03 AM
I think he would be on the frontline because that's his personality. Rendar is no wuss and he would never join the Peace Birgade. So I think he's in the Smuggler's Alliance keeping a low profile.

Nova Spice
31 January 2004, 07:50 PM
I think he would be on the frontline because that's his personality. Rendar is no wuss and he would never join the Peace Birgade. So I think he's in the Smuggler's Alliance keeping a low profile.

I disagree greatly. Dash has always struck me as the type that would much rather assist than lead. He's perfectly comfortable with others doing the hard work as long as he receives some, if not all of the benefit.

And if he's a member of the Smuggler's Alliance, he's not keeping a low profile. ;)

No, I doubt Dash even made contact with any of our heroes during the war. IMO, I feel Dash did his own thing, behind the scenes. And he's probably perfectly fine should his contributions go unnoticed, as long as he benefitted from them in the first place.

Ardent
31 January 2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
I disagree greatly. Dash has always struck me as the type that would much rather assist than lead. He's perfectly comfortable with others doing the hard work as long as he receives some, if not all of the benefit.

Dash was a soldier by necessity, not choice...I completely agree with this assessment otherwise. He never went out of his way to get into or out of trouble unless the pay is good or the friends (and favors) are better.

And if he's a member of the Smuggler's Alliance, he's not keeping a low profile. ;)

No way he's in with TK. Dash isn't a typical scoundrel, first off, and secondly he's much more of an independent, like Lando. He would chafe if he had to take orders -- or let someone else find him work.

No, I doubt Dash even made contact with any of our heroes during the war. IMO, I feel Dash did his own thing, behind the scenes. And he's probably perfectly fine should his contributions go unnoticed, as long as he benefitted from them in the first place.

Insofar as our heroes are concerned Dash is dead, and I suspect Dash prefers it that way. Solo, Skywalker and their ilk are a link to his past he doesn't need to complicate his life...chances are he's got his hands full with Leebo and Guri. No doubt he'd hire out as a mercenary to anyone able to pay him to fight the YV, but it's almost certain he did a lot of pro bono work as well, if only to save his own skin.

BrianDavion
1 February 2004, 10:22 AM
ya know for all these people who say "dash is a great guy and a real front lines kinda guy"

are ignoreing the facts.
the fact is if dash is still alive then obviously he's NOT that type of guy, but rather he's in part at least a bit of a coward..

AceStarlighter
1 February 2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
but rather he's in part at least a bit of a coward..

he's not a coward, he just doesn't want to be a hero and doesn't really care about the New Republic. that doesn't make him a coward.

tho i agreed, he was not at the front lines.

Codym
18 September 2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Deck
Anyway, there are two sources, and two opinions. Novel versus comic... Okay, the novel was published much earlier than the comic <i>Evolution</i>. Now there's the difficult question, which source to believe more. There are fans only reading the novels, not the comics, and the other way round.

Actually, both were written by Steve Perry, so in that regard I think it safe to conclude that they were meant to be in continuity with each other (an admitted rarity in books vs comics.)

Darth Fierce
19 September 2006, 03:46 AM
Heh...funny this thread should be revived now. I just read something recently that indicated Dash transferred his conciousness into a Human Replicant Droid at some point following "Shadows of the Empire."

Whether this matter is canon, or just fan-speculation, is unknown to me....

Darth Fierce :vader:

Ravnor
19 September 2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
I just read something recently that indicated Dash transferred his conciousness into a Human Replicant Droid at some point following "Shadows of the Empire."

#cough#Ghost In the Shell#cough#

But no, Dash survived, it's everywhere, GL says he's alive, wookiepedia, apparently some time in NJO.
EVERYWHERE!

Uron Teff
19 September 2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ravnor
But no, Dash survived, it's everywhere, GL says he's alive, wookiepedia, apparently some time in NJO.
EVERYWHERE!

Although many official source state that Dash Rendar is still alive I think that he had a great death. Yes, I think Rendar is dead and should stay dead. I liked him too, but there are just too much of these he obviously died and repeared later.

Just how I see the topic. :)

Ardent
19 September 2006, 01:54 PM
Well, the biggest problem is that...canonically the Shadows of the Empire game for the N64 console is equal to the actual novel in validity...and if you're pro enough like me to beat the game on Jedi in a spectacular fashion...Dash lives.

Them's just the facts folks and only Steve Perry can say whether or not he intended it that way originally. I doubt he objected to the bits of spin-off work that came his way. ;)

Darth_Xanthor
20 September 2006, 07:10 AM
I honestly hope that he lived. I liked Dash. Not many people can claim defeating Ig-88 (although the number grows everyday)

besides....he was responible for finding Man wasn't he?

Treefrog
24 September 2006, 12:34 PM
Until he actually appears in a novel that gives an abbreviated history of what he did after his "death", then he's dead.

I always looked at that "alternate ending" part of the game as just that - an alternate ending.....

Dash is dead.................get over it! Because if he wasn't dead and he ran from every potential tussle, then he's nothing but a coward!

Tem_Starrunner
8 October 2006, 07:06 PM
TreeFrog you need to read some comics. At the end of Shadows of the Empire: Evolution comic a Guri with free will meets a man that clearly looks like Dash Rendar right down to his outfit.

Dash is still out there and he might be running with Guri.

Treefrog
19 October 2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Tem_Starrunner
TreeFrog you need to read some comics. At the end of Shadows of the Empire: Evolution comic a Guri with free will meets a man that clearly looks like Dash Rendar right down to his outfit.

Dash is still out there and he might be running with Guri.

It doesn't matter! Unless he's in a novel (and not a comic either), then he's dead......

Ardent
19 October 2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Treefrog
It doesn't matter! Unless he's in a novel (and not a comic either), then he's dead...... Let's completely avoid the canon argument, Treefrog. That said, Dash Rendar is -- according to starwars.com -- alive. Allow me to quote.

Dash later helped Luke and Lando infilrate Prince Xizor's palace on Coruscant. In the space battle that ensued over the Imperial capital, Dash's Outrider appeared to sustain critical damage from exploding space debris. It was all a trick of perspective and timing, however. Dash escaped, though he apparently decided his life as a Rebel had come to an end.
I think that should cleanly sidestep the whole canon argument.

Jedi_Master_Yelrahc
13 November 2006, 08:07 AM
Quite true, it may be possible the Rendar might make his appearance in the Legacy of the Force series. If so it might be interesting to see the smuggler get involved in the conflicts with Coreillia right now

Treefrog
4 December 2006, 10:38 PM
Okay, if the databank states that Rendar is stil alive, then he is a coward for sitting out the entire 20+ years since.....

wolverine
5 December 2006, 11:02 PM
Especially the whole Yuzzan vong conflict.