PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Wedge in Red2
18 June 2002, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I have a few questions. If anyone has the time and inclination to educate a new player, I'd appreciate it! And some of the other many new players I've seen about might too!

These are a few questions I have regarding the site:

1) What are the “User Stats” (Level, VP, WP, and XP) that appear in your profile? I’m guessing they relate to you experience on the site, but I’m curious as to how and what they mean.

2) The FAQ mentions avatars. What are these? I haven’t seen any “pictures” under people user names except TC-3 and standard rank badges.

3) How do you get an Administrator to enable custom status titles? Is it just a matter of asking? Is this how some users have customised stuff in their “Status line”? For example, FrobiWanKenobi, Dr_Worm.

Thanks for you help,

Jon

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
18 June 2002, 08:41 PM
1) They are mostly just for fun and looks.

2) They haven't turned on avatars during my tenure here and I don't think that they plan to, be you are right - an avatar is a little pic that would go about where your rank is now.

3) Thanks for noticing, and I think that secret number is once you reach 200 posts.

Hope this helped, enjoy the HoloNet.

Grimace
18 June 2002, 08:47 PM
I'll offer up the answers. :)

1. They're eye candy...nothing more. They aren't really linked to anything other than loosly based on your "rank", which is based on a formula that is kept ultra-secret. ;) There is nothing you can do to influence the way your VP, WP and XP go. I *think* that your XP might show you how close you are to actually going up to the next rank, but I may be thinking of an earlier time.

2. As Frobi mentioned, avatars are not enabled. We've had them before, but they became a nuisance. For all intents and purposes, the rank badges are avatars.

3. You have to achieve a certain number of posts before you are able to alter your status line. Asking someone won't get you the privelage of having classy status lines ahead of time. :D

Jedi_Staailis
18 June 2002, 08:58 PM
Just to expand a little on what Frobi has already said.

1) Yes, they're for fun and looks, and they (like the ranks) follow some secret formula that a select few know. The stats correlate somehow to the various site usage statistics such as rating, posts, posts per day, etc. These numbers truly don't matter, it's what you're posting that counts, not how many posts you have.

2) We have badges instead of avatars. Aside from the normal rank badges (divided into Rebel, Imperial, and Pirate allegiances, which is also for show :) ), there are a few other badges. TC-3, as you mentioned, has his own icon. He's an automatic reply when people comment on entries in the other sections of the site. Users who post comments without logging on have an annonymous symbol (actually a fringe icon of some sort). VIPs, such as JD Wiker, who occasionally frequent this site, have their own icon.

3) Yes, the magic number is 200. And I also see that Frobi has engaged in a little bit of deception and named himself "New Player," despite his 900 odd post count. :D

A little edit here, Grimace posted while I was typing.

I *think* that your XP might show you how close you are to actually going up to the next rank, but I may be thinking of an earlier time.
I'm pretty sure it's how close you are to the next level. Ranks come as more of a surprise.

Wedge in Red2
18 June 2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your replies, guys! In terms of my responses:

1) Okay, cool. I thought it must have been some formula, I noticed that after I PM'ed or posted my profile changed. I can live with knowing it's a super secret formula...no more lost sleep! :rolleyes:

2) For what it's worth, I like the badges.

3) A long way to go then! No, I don't intend to suddenly start posting 20 posts a day, don't worry...

Cheers,

Jon

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
18 June 2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
And I also see that Frobi has engaged in a little bit of deception and named himself "New Player," despite his 900 odd post count. :D

Is there a rule about the status line?

I didn't see one in the FAQ.

I just wanted a change and I couldn't think of anything.

Nova Spice
19 June 2002, 06:33 AM
No, you can put whatever you want, I think Staailis thought you were trying to be funny with the New Player line! :p
The rank thing is quite perplexing at times as to no one actually knows the formula for advancing in rank either. I think Armage is the only one who knows the formula? I don't now, Moridin might know it as well, but either way its locked in a secret cryogenic safe protected by at least one FBI agent at all times. The last time one of the members of the Holonet tried to "sneak a peak"at the formula........well, let's just say it wasn't pretty. :D

Armage Bedar
3 July 2002, 06:38 AM
I've updated the FAQ with a few Q&As that were suggested here. Keep the questions coming, because there's always room for more! :-)

Wedge in Red2
7 July 2002, 02:07 PM
Okay, after a chat with Reverend Strone over the weekend, I found out you can see the users who rated you by clicking on the (X votes) link next to your rating. Perhaps the part of the FAQ that deals with rating users could be updated to say "You can see who has rated you by clicking on the link next to your rating". Then again, maybe it's not something you want new members to know about ;)

Jon

starkiller210
7 June 2003, 07:42 AM
I just got 200 posts but I can't find the custom text line in the edit profile scrren, where is it?

Vanger Chevane
7 June 2003, 07:57 AM
the actual code reads something like POSTNUM>200.

It'll pop up after yer 201st post.

You may need to log out & log back in to get the system to update your profile.

Jake Sunspot
26 June 2003, 12:43 AM
I have a new question:

Is there any signifigance to the color of the icons before each fourm on the main page of the holonet? They change regularly from green to white and I was just wondering what (if anyting) this meant. I can't find any information in the FAQ and my curiousity is killing me.

EDIT: Also I would suggest updating the abbreviations listed in the FAQ as there are several new ones that have been poping up lately. I can follow them, but I've been here for a while.;)

Rogue Janson
26 June 2003, 01:52 AM
White means there are new posts in that forum since you last visited.
Green means no new posts.

Wedge in Red2
26 June 2003, 01:56 AM
Jake,

The White icons indicate there are new posts in that forum since your last visit, the Green indicate no new posts. However, if you sit on the network for long enough (half an hour or so), any that were white turn green. Quite annoying if you only want to read the new posts, that. Has happened to me a few times.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Edit note: Janson beat me to it! That'll teach me for being long winded :).

P.S. Good work in resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one. Shesh, this thread is one of the first ones I ever started, over a year old now...