PDA

View Full Version : Alliance Worlds

Nova Spice
18 June 2002, 09:02 PM
Thinking about it, has anyone ever wondered which planets supported the Alliance during the Galatic Civil War? Apparently Alderaan did or else Vader and Tarkin wouldn't have vaped it, but I am talking about other worlds that completely supported the Alliance. This topic came to mind after playing Rebellion (a Star Wars computer game that is similar to Sovereignty or Diplomacy).
So far I've mananged to scrounge up a list of a few worlds I think supprted the Alliance openly. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Mon Calamari-I believe Mon Calamari openly supported the Alliance after Yavin and began building war cruisers for the Rebels. However, why the Imps didn't just obliterate the fish-heads is beyond me?
2. Ralltiir-If I remember my history right, Ralltiir was one of the first worlds to openly support the Rebellion and was subjugated by the Devastator. I believe that Ralltiir was a high-profile banking planet too, correct? Perhaps the Intergalactc Banking Clan held some sway over this world? I know they controlled Muunilinst and the Remnant still controls it in the NJO.
3. Delaya-Wasn't there some sort of uprising here in where the entire populace openly supported the Alliance?

That's only three worlds and surely there are more? It just seems that the funding and resources had to come from more than just three planets? Any thoughts on this one?
:?

Ravager_of_worlds
19 June 2002, 06:20 AM
chandrila was mon mothma's world i think.

corellia originally supported (ie, the Corellian Treaty even though only 3 worlds signed it, which wasn't Corellia; see Garm Bel Iblis)

btw, Rebellion is still a great game. i like being able to rename ships. plus, having 5 fleets with their own deathstar scouring the galaxy is pretty cool. and those space battles take the right amount of time! no more vaped capital class ships (unless you use the death star... ) :D

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
19 June 2002, 11:49 AM
Alderaan was destroyed to try and make Leia talk, I don't think they had anything to do with the Alliance. And I find it hard to believe that Raltiir would support the Alliance since they are close to the core, but I guess it's possible, out of curiosity, what's your source on that?
I think that the funding probably mostly comes from individuals and companies, and maybe a few planets. Look at the terrorists of today, they don't have open support from any countries (maybe some secret help though, I guess) and they're still kicking, the Rebeillion is basically terrorists, so I bet they could operate in a similar manner.

P.S. I always thought that the game Rebellion kinda sucked, though I guess I haven't played it in a while.

Nova Spice
19 June 2002, 12:34 PM
Always obliged Alfred!:D My source comes from the CCG by Decipher. On the Lore on several of their cards including the Devastator and a card titled Subjugation of Ralltiir (or something like that) it claims that Ralltiir was one of the first worlds to openly support the Alliance and was therefore one of the first worlds to suffer a full-fledged military subjugation by the Empire. The operation was led by the Devastator before Lord Vader took control of the Star Destroyer and was one of the primary reasons Vader chose the vessel as his command ship before acquiring the Executor.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
21 June 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
Always obliged Alfred!:D My source comes from the CCG by Decipher. On the Lore on several of their cards including the Devastator and a card titled Subjugation of Ralltiir (or something like that) it claims that Ralltiir was one of the first worlds to openly support the Alliance and was therefore one of the first worlds to suffer a full-fledged military subjugation by the Empire.

Oh yeah, I have a deck built around that card. I probably should have been able to figure that one out...

The Admiral
23 June 2002, 09:42 AM
Aha, yeah, Ralltiir was indeed openly rebellious. Princess Leia had just encountered Vader and Lord Tion on Ralltiir whilst delivering medical supplies there to relieve the suffering of the people due to their being blockaded when she got the Death Star Plans. Running supplies to the Blockaded Ralltiiri was the mercy mission to which Vader refers. "You weren't on any mercy mission this time,,,"

I believe Corellia's period of rebellion was about the shortest in recorded history. Garm bel Iblis was the Senator for Corellia, and he rebelled all the way out to the Outer Rim where he hid with his staff. The people who subsequently took his place were not rebelious at all. Well, no more that Corellians ever are.

Mon Calamari was rebelious fairly soon after it was discovered by the Empire.

Delaya was the other inhabited world in the Alderaan star system, so I'd reckon they were probably fairly quietly rebelious.

Chandrilla was indeed the homeworld of mon Mothma, after she ran off to form the Alliance, her replacement senator, er, Canno Omonda, was openly critical of the Empire, and was later executed. The world itself wasn't actually rebelious, per se, they were more 'grumpy' than anything.

Incidentally, the Corellian Treaty wasn't three worlds, it was three people. Garm bel Iblis, Mon Mothma, and Bail organa. It was signed on Corellia, hence the name. However, only Bail organa really had his world behind him, both Mothma and Iblis had to abandon their homeworlds

As for other worlds, I don't really think any worlds really rebelled en mass. Even Alderaan didn't so much rebel as be 'not overly fond of' the Galactic Empire.

Armadious
23 June 2002, 09:56 AM
There is Isis form <I>The Isis Coordinates</I>.

This is a hidden Rebel world with a X-wing factory on it. Crystal world if I remember right.

Anyway while it did not rebel it did support the alliance.

Rogue Janson
23 June 2002, 10:29 AM
Because of the Empire's military might, generally only remote planets and easily defended planets openly rebelled and these don't tend to be documented. Mon Calamari is the best example of this. According to the rebellion era sourcebook the Empire never managed to gather a powerful enough fleet to break through the mon cal defence fleet, presumably because it is so far out and difficult to get to.
The only other planet I can think of that openly supported the rebellion and avoided retribution/occupation was sullust, which threw out the empire sometime before Endor. I do think though that in the year or so leading up to Endor as the Alliance fleet began to match up to the Imperial fleet, more worlds openly joined the Alliance.

(On the subject of Rebellion, or Supremacy as it is here, it is a terrible, but compulsive game - quick examples: not having any decisive fleet battles until you have interdictors/CC7700s, annoying interface, dull battle sequences, crashes, repetitive gameplay. It's also really easy, I just completed it on medium difficulty in under 600 days. The one plus point it does have is excellent cut scenes, my favourite is the gunship specifically tasked with blowing up Imperial logos on coruscant.)

The Admiral
23 June 2002, 12:09 PM
i don't think Sullust ever actually rebelled, the fact that the rebel fleet was massing NEAR Sullust is no indication that the Sullustians were supporting the Alliance. On the contrary, Nien Numb is specifically noted as being unusual in that he left SoroSuub to openly work against the Empire. Both the SW Encyclopaedia and the EGP&M say Sullust allowed the Alliance fleet to assemble near it, that this was the 'turning point', prior to that, they were 100% Imperial. I would have doubts about both such a late turn around really counting as rebellion, and the degree to which they actually DID rebel. Basically, win or lose, Sullust and SoroSuub were blaster-proof. If the rebels lost, they could happily play 'plausible deniability', or even conmplition.

ilyssa
24 June 2002, 02:07 PM
In the novelization of Star Wars A New Hope in the "Throneroom" scene it mentions that there were banners and flags from all the worlds that lent support to the Rebellion whether covert or open. This would imply that there were numerous worlds that lent support to the Alliance. Tho few could do so openly. The Alliance also is known to have colonized worlds in order to aid refugees and prisoners of war to escape to.