PDA

View Full Version : Please Standby for 2 Important Announcements

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
19 June 2002, 08:14 AM
A great man once said: "Follow your dreams, you can reach your goals, I'm living proof." He added: "Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!!" Most of you know that that man is Eric Cartman.

Now, on a day that has been 1 year, 1 month, and 9 days in the making I have followed my own dreams. I wish use this milestone post, my 1000th, to announce my new website to the HoloNet community.

http://www.okinardae.com/frobiwankenobi/

Most of the framework for the site is complete and I am now in the process of filling it with all of the SWRPG information that I have. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks to all of you for making the HoloNet and the SWRPGNetwork the great community that we have today.

dgswensen
19 June 2002, 10:36 AM
Frobi, this looks very good. Clean navigation, simple colors, and a straightforward approach. Best of all, no starfield or animated GIFs. Huzzah! :)

My biggest suggestion would be, if you have links that aren't working, just take them down. Don't have links to material that isn't there, don't say "coming soon," and don't say "under construction." If you don't have any material for a subject, just don't link to it. I can't speak for anyone else, but the third time I hit a page that says "Oops, not here yet, coming soon!" I leave and don't come back for several months -- if at all.

If you just link to the material that's there, you make your web site look more complete, and you don't waste your user's time.

But that's my only suggestion. Looks great! I look forward to exploring the site some more.

-dg

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
19 June 2002, 11:42 AM
Would changing the color of the links on the left work? One color for 'there is something here' and another for 'nothing here yet'?

Thanks for the look through dgswensen.

Chris Curtis
19 June 2002, 12:26 PM
DG is right on this one. It's generally common courtesy (or should be, at least) not to link to a section if you have no content for it. You can leave the text on the menu, just don't make it a link until you're ready.

Overall, though, I'll echo DG and say you have a good start. You certainly look like you have big plans for the site.

My only real problem with the site (aside from the links) is the fact that I have to scroll horizontally to view the main page. I would suggest avoiding setting absolute widths (and heights, in your case) for your table columns. Remember that not everyone browses at high resolutions or maximized windows. You should aim to make your site usable for resolutions at least as low as 800x600 (which means the page width shouldn't be more than 750 px).

I look forward to seeing the site grow. And congrats on the 1000th post!

Gray Area
19 June 2002, 01:04 PM
I like the layout and feel of the site, it's clean and easy to read, you have done a great job!! But I must agree with the comments above.

obi-wan joshobi
1 July 2002, 10:44 PM
Man, that was important

JediStarWind
7 July 2002, 05:36 AM
nice job on the site looks very clean

Moose
21 July 2002, 01:10 PM
Great job! The navigation on the site is terrific and I cant wait for some of the under constructions to be completed. I like the amount of original material involved. Keep up the good work.

Rouge8
21 July 2002, 06:09 PM
Nice Site