PDA

View Full Version : Question about using NPCs from WEG books.

KnightStalker
22 June 2002, 12:21 PM
I'm one of 4 GM's running a Star Wars/Robotech/Macross crossover RPG online. We've got 20+ players and I've taken a character from Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy and converted it from the D6 to D20 system to use as an NPC in the game. I don't intend to use the character much, and I've been making enough changes to keep it from being identical to the original. We're not using any one set of RPG rules, we've been mixing and fudging them to try and get everything to work out.

My concern is whether or not there's any copyright issues I should be worried about. The changes I've been making are an attempt to avoid this, but I wanted to see what somebody has to say.

Oh and I also want to know if any of the artists at SWAG are familiar with Robotech. I had an idea I wanted to ask one of them if they do know Robotech.

Thanks for you help, and if this isn't the right forum to ask this in, let me know and I'll ask elsewhere.

MrKenpoJr
22 June 2002, 12:51 PM
Well, I'm not a copyright lawyer, nor any other sort of authority on the matter, but I was under the impression that the NPCs in the books were there for our use. Now, if you were to publish something using that character, that might be a different story, but otherwise I'd assume you're ok. Also, I can't tell you how many times in an RPG book I've read the phrase (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Use only what you want of this book. If you don't like something leave it out or change it." Besides, who's gonna know if you monkeyed with it? Allay your fears, my good man. I'm sure you'll be fine...just make sure you check the ID of everyone that comes to your door. :)

Jedi_Staailis
22 June 2002, 01:43 PM
If you're just using it in your game and not publishing it anywhere, there shouldn't be any legal issues. After all, you bought the original book. If you want a comparison, SWRPGNetwork takes stats from one system, converts them to the other SW system, and publishes them on the website. People can use the converted characters without owning the original books, and that's legal.

As for the SWAG request, just head on other to the SWAG forum and ask there.

KnightStalker
22 June 2002, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info. The only places I've used or referred to the character is on the sites we have that are dedicated to our game, and these sites have disclaimers crediting whomever we can for whatever we use.

MrKenpoJr
22 June 2002, 02:52 PM
and these sites have disclaimers crediting whomever we can for whatever we use.

I'd imagine this is in the event that you create an adventure/module/story/etc, and use those characters in it. But just sitting around in your living room, you'll be fine.

KnightStalker
22 June 2002, 02:56 PM
We run the game online, in a play-by-post format, which is why I haven't used the character much yet. I wanted to get my concerns out of the way.