PDA

View Full Version : Has anything been done for converting old Challenge magazine SW adventures?

Danger
23 June 2002, 02:58 PM
Hello,

As the subject line asks, has there been anything done on convering or updating the SW scenarios found in the old, defunct house organ of Game Designers Workshop (GDW) called "Challenge" magazine? Following this train of thought, has there been any kind of comprehensive listing of the articles "Challenge" magazine produced for SW over its lifetime?

Having asked that, does anyone think this is a good idea?

GMSarli
24 June 2002, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I don't know if any of us have access to those -- I know I don't. If anyone out there has this information, feel free to post it here or e-mail me at gmsarli@swrpgnetwork.com.

Jan Tolbara
25 June 2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by GMSarli
Honestly, I don't know if any of us have access to those -- I know I don't. If anyone out there has this information, feel free to post it here or e-mail me at gmsarli@swrpgnetwork.com.

I know I don't have access to them, but I wouldn't mind looking at them if they can be found. Please include me in that e-mail as well at jantolbara@swrpgnetwork.com.

Danger
25 June 2002, 06:15 PM
With my original question in mind, would it be okay to request copies of these articles from our SW gaming public?

I know I have perhaps a dozen or so "Challenge" magazines that may produce half that number of SW articles which I'd be glad to scan and send to whomever could produce something of use from them for the greater good. I'm not sure, however, what kind of legal toes I'd be stepping on if I did this.

Any knowledge or thoughts on this twist to my first question?

Jan Tolbara
16 July 2002, 11:11 AM
Please remind me again who published the magazine.

If they are still around, I would suggest contacting them and asking if it's okay to copy a few articles to send to a couple of people. Under current "fair use" laws, it's possible to copy the articles for your own use, but handing it off to somebody else can cause problems. If the copyright bill that is being pushed through Congress right now gets signed into law, "fair use" is going to be even more restricted and will include many music/sound files and computer graphics as well as written works.

I'm not trying to sound like a wet blanket, but the intellectual property rights issue is a big playground with a lot of whistle-blowing people to make sure everybody plays fair. I, for one, do not want to see anyone get into trouble over something like this.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
5 August 2002, 08:34 PM
I've only got a couple - the H-wing starfighter (already converted to D20) and Wookiees Amuck (updated to 2nd edition D6 rules, but not converted to D20). Both are posted on my page, so if someone wants to take a crack at converting the adventure I'd be more than happy to follow up too.

Hell, it's only a couple of ships and two NPCs - I very well may take a crak myself someday.

***EDIT*** Challenge was published by Game Designers Workshop. Didnt they go under a couple of years back?

MarkHudson
16 August 2002, 10:42 PM
Ah, Challenge Magazine! In it's prime, it was a great source of SWRPG gear and adventures. Even when there was no SWRPG info, you could always take a swing at converting a Traveller or Shadowrun or even a Call of Cthulhu scenario. What follows is a complete list of all the SWRPG material that appeared in Challenge. There are a couple entries without descriptions: 44, "Jet Packs" is probably self-explanatory; 57, "Green Squad 3" is, I believe, a SW Miniatures Battles scenario; and 66, "Disturbance" is the one article I know nothing about.

Old Challenges often pop up on Ebay if folks are interested in tracking 'em down.

SW:RPG Articles from 'Challenge'

issue # - title, capsule (if known)

32 - "Alone Against the Empire" A solitaire adventure.
35 - "Team Recovery" The PCs must evacuate a Rebel listening post hidden on a frozen, mountainous planet. Also includes stats and deck plans for a light interstellar shuttle.
- "The H-Wing Strike Fighter" Stats and history of the Rebellion's new heavy fighter.
37 - "Wookiees Amok" The PCs must rescue some Wookiees and Mon Calamari from the Imperial prison planet of Branth.
38 - "Starfighters Down" During an assault on a crippled SSD, the PCs' ship crash lands on the swamp world of Phaylenn.
40 - "Blaster Weapons of the Rebel Alliance" Descriptions and history of six unique blaster pistols and rifles.
41 - "Paid in Full" One more payment to the crimelord and the ship is all yours. What could possibly go wrong?
43 - "On the Dark Side" Advice for playing Imperial characters.
- "The Nuns of G'aav'aar'oon" Imperial PCs are ordered to assassinate the Mother Superior of a Gamorrean convent. Then their troubles really begin.
44 - "Jet Packs"
46 - "Imperial Research Station 13" Something unspeakable killed everyone on the station. It's still hungry.
47 - "The Rebel Air Force: Combat Airspeeders" Stats for the 'Walker Buster Airspeeder' and the 'Tachyon Airspeeder'.
56 - "Power Suits!" Powered armor and how to use it.
57 - "Green Squad 3"
58 - "Battle for Mandalore" A 'Star Wars Miniatures Battles' scenario set during the fall of the Old Republic.
60 - "Character Templates" Repulsorlift Racer, Cyborg, Rebel Scum, Displaced Entrepreneur, and Prodigy.
61 - "Rogue Metal" The KLR-B1's programming was more flawed than its designers ever realized. Until it was too late.
62 - "Encumbrance" Optional rules for carrying equipment.
63 - "Talents" Rules for fleshing out PCs' skills and backgrounds.
64 - "Limping Lady" The price of the PCs' new ship is just a little too good to be true. An adventure by 'Adventure Journal' editor Peter M. Schweighofer.
65 - "Shadow" In a dark temple on an overgrown jungle world, a hundred trapped souls call out for relief.
66 - "Disturbance"
67 - "Buried Treasure" The Alliance wants it. The Empire wants it. Pirates want it too. The PCs found it.
68 - "Parts is Parts" PCs in the Minos Cluster have 6 hours to find 3000 credits.
70 - "Bantha Cannon" On the iceworld of Entooine, someone is hunting the sacred Blue Bantha for its tusks.
72 - "Ananuru Express" Rebel PCs are assigned to purchase a stolen Imperial datachip which is being auctioned on a luxury monorail train.
73 - "New Character Templates" Six lighthearted templates: Gentle Gamorrean, Yearning Farmhand, Ugor Trash Collector, etc. Also includes stats and deck plans for a stock light freighter.
74 - "HoloNet Waystation" PCs must retrieve some components from an abandoned HoloNet Waystation over Tatooine. Also includes background and deck plans of the station.
76 - "Death by Triflexia" A possible outbreak of a deadly disease threatens a small Rebel Base.
77 - "Pandora's Box" The PCs come across a damaged bulk freighter adrift in space. Onboard the relic, PCs must deal with surviving droids vainly attempting to repair the ship and the alien virus which killed the crew.

Cheers,

Mark Hudson