PDA

View Full Version : Droids, Memory Wipes, and Certain Point of Views (SPOILERS!)

Stroth Marund
23 June 2002, 03:27 PM
Recently, I was surfing online and I found out that R2-D2 and C-3P0 had their memory wiped between Episode III and Episode IV. Lucas said so. This lead onto some questions I came up with. And some surprising revelations.

First, C-3P0 ended up on the Lars homestead in Epsidoe II. But in Episode IV he says something along the lines of working on something similar to moisture farm equpment to Owen. I wonder how this came along.:raised:

Then, when R2 went off to look for Obi-Wan in A New Hope, he obviously knew who he was. In fact when they came face to face R2 seems to remember him. But Ben shrugs it off not having any memory of "owning a droid." :raised:

Then there is the thing about 3P0. If you haven't noticed, so far 3P0 and Obi-Wan have never met in either Episode I or Episode II. They only become aquaintences in Episode IV.
Add to the fact that 3P0 might not even know the Vader is actually Anakin. Or mabye he does, and is sworn to secrecy? :raised:

Now here's another thing. This is a little info from the same site (I'm sorry I don't remember the address) but a startling revelation nontheless.

The entire story of the Star Wars saga and the adventures of the Skywalkers is told from the Droids point of view.8o

Think of it. In every scene, there has always been a droid present. Only exceptions is during a few key scenes such as the confrontations between Luke and Vader. When the main characters are seperated, there is always a droid present. :raised:

Hmmmm. I beleive further speculation is needed.

Reverend Strone
23 June 2002, 03:49 PM
Well, I think there's definately an need for Threepio to have his memory wiped. He has no idea what planet he's even on in Ep IV, and besides which, to his knowledge, his first job was supposed to have been programming binary loadlifters, which he certainly wasn't doing for Shmi. It also works well with his general "slightly behind the play" manner in al the films. He's never aware of the big picture.

Artoo on the other hand could go without a memory wipe and still work. He always seemed to be more clued up than anyone gave him credit for, and watching Ep IV again after seeing the prequels, he's so much more of an active character with a genuine mission beyond his programming. I'd be sad to see him get wiped as it would seem entirely unnecessary and diminishing to his character.

Jaggard
24 June 2002, 10:06 AM
Are you talking about from the point of view of those two droids or droids in general. Because they are never really present during major conflicts where death occurs or serious maimings. The cantina, the wampa, 3po was off line for most of bespin and r2 was with luke, the space and DS battles in the final chapter lack them as well. Ep 1 they did't show up till after they left naboo, not there for the first conflict of Darth Maul, or the second. or any of the Jedi temple scenes R2 stayed with anakin back on Naboo so he didn't see anything else. R2 was with Padme in Ep2 so he didn't see the conflict. The whole of the Kaminoan story part was never discussed in the presence of any droid outside of r4, and he was just part of the ship. There are probably more such as dexters diner but I can't think of all the specific and you probably get the point.

MrKenpoJr
25 June 2002, 04:06 PM
Well, I was under the impression that only Episode IV was from the perspective of the two droids (3PO and R2). You may or may not know that ANH draws many similarities from a movie by Akira Kurosawa called The Hidden Fortress. In fact, that movie was the basis for ANH. It's about 2 cowardly soldiers that were sent to find a general to help break a princess out of a prison. It was told through the eyes of the 2 soldiers. One was tall and thin, one was short and squat. Sound familiar?

It is very likely that 3PO gets 'wiped between III and IV, and I'd imagine that R2 does as well. Otherwise, there'd be more yammering along the lines of:
R2: "But we've been here before! Don't you remember!?"
3PO: "Of course I'd remember being in such a dreadful place as this! Oh switch off!"

But, that doesn't happen. The fact that R2 says he's the "property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi" was probably just a ruse on the part of Leia in order to get him closer to Ben.

Stroth Marund
27 June 2002, 04:16 PM
3P0as most likely memory wiped. But R2, he seems to know whats going on.

When I mean from the point of view of the droids, I mean R2 and 3P0. However, they really only tell the adventures of the Skywalker family. They actually don't get together until Episode II. Thats when they actually get together, and they don;t even know what they're in for. But after that, there is always a droid present (except, as noted above, during major battle scenes (with the exception of the first Death Star). They are present for everything else though.
On the Bespin note, okay, 3P0 was offline, but Chewbacca fixed him to see enough of what was going on. The droids only seem to be not around when theres a lightsaber battle.

Dark72Jedi
4 July 2002, 08:10 PM
As for the reason of a memory wipe...I would hazard a guess and say to hide the location of where the twins (Luke and Leia) are taken to. Being that C-3PO loves to talk, he probably gets a full memory wipe...R2 may actually avoid it.

Stroth Marund
13 July 2002, 09:15 AM
3P0 would dfinitly get the full. R2, well, if you haven't noticed, 3P0 doesn't know what R2's talking about most of the time.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
8 August 2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Well, I think there's definately an need for Threepio to have his memory wiped. He has no idea what planet he's even on in Ep IV, and besides which, to his knowledge, his first job was supposed to have been programming binary loadlifters, which he certainly wasn't doing for Shmi. It also works well with his general "slightly behind the play" manner in al the films. He's never aware of the big picture.

Here's a thought - 3P0 was lying all along. He's programmed for etiquette and protocol, two diplomatic functions that would require all kinds of discretion and omission of truth. He's not a very good story teller - yet he keeps the Ewoks entertained. He claims no knowledge of Leia - and yet we know that he knows of her (and has met, depending if you go by the radio play). He pulls a con job on the Stormtroopers on the Death Star. He pulls a fast one on a Mos Eisly merchant in the radio plays.

3P0 says ONE of his first jobs was programming binary load lifters, not that his first job. So it was early in his career, but not necessarily the first thing. And wait a sec - a protocol droid programmed for diplomatic functions programming load lifters? Doesn't this seem a bit . . . odd?

Further - he tells R2 that he heard all kinds of stories about Jabba. Where did he get a chance to do that? Perhaps during his time on Tatooine?

As for not knowing what planet he was on - it very well may have been the truth. The name Tatooine was never mentioned until the end of Empire. Deserts look all alike, and he wasn't seeing that much of the Lars place during (and just after) the Jawa auction.

The last bit - wiping his memory would reset him to factory specs and be nothing short of the murder of a main character. Not very satisfying from a story telling standpoint if you ask me.