PDA

View Full Version : Help me?

Lord-Grunt
24 June 2002, 04:19 PM
Um im not a GM but I have one we are playing rifts out of no where "Im going to get the SW-RPG and GM and you are all going to be jedi." And I just think oh god we are dead. He gets the book and gives a level one char 500 experience for burning Jedi Knigh 2 for him and we all knew it wouldnt work he has a crappy comp. And gives the kid SLAVE I and a jet pack. Out of no where. Gives experience for nothing we each gain a level for like an hour or two of play. He doesnt know the rules and lets the PCs walk over him he said only two jedi one guy is like im gonna be a jedi too hes like um well um. Im gonna be one he runs off and makes a char and is like well im not making another char so he goes along with it. The list goes on how can i get him to get better and make the game more enjoyable its not fun being a Blockade Runner when the GM gives me a ship with everything in it im like could i get this oh its already in it um ok. So I Need Help. Thanks

Grimace
24 June 2002, 05:12 PM
Okay....

I'm going to offer a couple of ideas. One is in relation to the question you asked, the other is in relation to your post.

First, the post:

I can't speak for everyone, but I found your post hard to follow due to lack of punctuation. Please, if you can, use periods and commas to help break up the sentences a little. Also, don't be afraid to put in a couple of quotation marks. If people are able to read your post a little better, you'll probably receive more comments on it. This is just a friendly suggestion. :)

Now on to your question:

Explain to your friend (the GM) what you are looking for. Perhaps he's rather new at GMing and thinks that you guys all want "super-duper, wowie-fantastic things". New GMs (and new players) sometimes have a tendency to overembellish in rewards or goodies that are given out. Basically, you'll want to talk to your GM and let him know that you are finding the "I've got everything" type of game isn't that much fun. Suggest the style that you are looking for (also talk with some of the other players to see if they would like it the same way you do). If your friend *still* doesn't tone down the way he GMs, you might try running the game once, in the manner you want, so that he understands what you mean.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the Holonet!

Reverend Strone
24 June 2002, 05:21 PM
It's difficult when the expectation can't be met by what's available. Sounds like you need a new GM and play group buddy, though I can appreciate that's hard to find when you're somewhere that has few role-players.

Here are some suggestions-

Try putting out a call for gamers in your area on the Trader's infonet and perhaps even over at the Wizards boards too. You never know who might be flicking over the message boards and discover you're just down the road.

Failing that, try some on-line gaming. I haven't really got much experience in that arena, but from what I overhear from other users, it can be a lot of fun and best yet, it doesn't matter what corner of the Universe you're from. I'm sure there are some folks here who could enlighten you further in this regard, and suggest some good places to start.

Finally- SW Galaxies. Providing you have access to a computer with the required capabilities, you might try out this fantastic new game. For a player looking for a game to join, this might be the one for you.

Good luck Lord Grunt.

Jedi_Staailis
24 June 2002, 09:03 PM
I've never played Rifts, but it seems that your GM already has experience gamemastering something. Has his style changed when your group switched to Star Wars? If so, then there is "good left in him" that you might be able to appeal to.

In either case, you can suggest to your GM that you find the way he GMs the game frustrating. Perhaps nudge him toward looking through the gamemastering section of the rules. That should help straighten him out on a number of issues. At the very least, he should clearly understand that giving rewards in the game for things done outside of it is inappropriate.

You can try to encourage him to read further into the Star Wars setting. There's a lot going on behind the scenes. Games can be fun without the PCs stealing every notable piece of equipment or killing every movie NPC. Fan fiction on gaming sites is often based on actual RPG adventures. It's a good way to illustrate your point.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the Holonet!

Lord-Grunt
25 June 2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks alot I will try all the ideas that are given and thanks alot for the warm welcome.

oh and sorry bout the no quotes i was sorta ranting and going crazy on how I was pulling my hair out and the weird stuff he pulled out of his butt