PDA

View Full Version : Yoda is Not Alone! (SPOILERS)

Talon Kane
25 June 2002, 03:14 PM
I was reading the Star Wars novel Cloak of Deception by James Luceno (who also wrote Darth Maul: Saboteur ) today. I reached a description in the novel where Qui-Gon was meeting with the Jedi Council. Luceno goes on to describe the people sitting on the Council. There was something in the passage that definitely caught my attention. It read:

"To Pidell's left sat Yaddle, a female of Yoda's species;"

Can anyone say, "HELLO???!" A female of Yoda's species? Where the heck did this come? And is this canon? I was under the assumption if it's in a novel it is canon because Lucas Books approve everthing written. Right?

Opinions? Comments? Anything?

dgswensen
25 June 2002, 03:33 PM
I believe Yaddle is (or at least was) in TPM. I think she can be spotted briefly during one of the scenes in the Jedi Council Chamber.

But it is canon; I've seen publicity stills of the puppet and read about her long before TPM came out. Yaddle is not a fabrication of Luceno's.

For proof, here's the Star Wars databank entry on Yaddle: Yaddle (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yaddle/index.html)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
25 June 2002, 03:37 PM
Yaddle is clearly seen in Episode I.

She also has a larger part in The Cloak of Deception Novel.

Talon Kane
25 June 2002, 06:33 PM
Holy...I never even noticed her in Episode I. Shows you how perceptive I am right? :-P

Thank you for showing this to me. At least I know it is canon and another NPC to play with in my Old Republic game. :-D

wolverine
26 June 2002, 11:47 AM
If yaddle was female, and yoda is male, why are they not maaaking young?!!

Seriously, it could be a possibilty.....

dgswensen
26 June 2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wolverine
If yaddle was female, and yoda is male, why are they not maaaking young?!!

Seriously, it could be a possibilty.....

Well, who says they aren't?

BrianDavion
26 June 2002, 01:38 PM
because Ypda seems to actually follow the jedi code. unlike a certin jedi padawan who shall remanin nameless:)

Talon Kane
26 June 2002, 02:53 PM
Remember, according to Lucas himself, Jedi are NOT celebant. They just cannot love. "Free love" is OK in their books. I swear, Lucas actually said they aren't. So Yoda and Yaddle could be...ahem...you know...and if she gets pregnant...so be it.

I know the quote was from an article that I thought appeared on the IMDB web site.

Rouge8
26 June 2002, 05:27 PM
there is also Pic from the PC Game Jedi Knight (look at the resemblence).

Jedi_Staailis
26 June 2002, 09:20 PM
there is also Pic from the PC Game Jedi Knight (look at the resemblence).
I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense now. However, I think it also says that Gorc and Pic are twins, which doesn't make much sense at all.

So I wouldn't put too much faith in Pic being a member of Yoda's species. Yoda could have been the design inspiration, but I think Pic is described so vaguely to ensure that he can't be definitively connected to Yoda (which could turn into a continuity disaster).

Kwalish Kid
2 July 2002, 04:33 AM
According to The Art of Star Wars: Episode I, by Jonathan Bresman, the design for Yaddle came from a drawing Iain McCaig drew of Yoda as a child. "Ultimately, however, this sketch was used to create Yaddle, a female member of Yoda's species." (Page 195.)