PDA

View Full Version : Wizards' Periodicals Sold. What Now for Star Wars Gamer?

REG
26 June 2002, 11:31 PM
Webmaster and Board Moderator: Just erring on the side of caution. Feel free to move this thread into the appropriate forum.

I have heard of recent confirmed reports that Wizards' sold off their entire Periodical Division. The magazines which has been a long staple of support of then-TSR and now-Wizards' games, are now going independent.

What this means for Star Wars Gamer? Well, if the new owner and management have the money to fund all four magazines, then we may see Star Wars Gamer back in circulation in no time, assuming that LFL agree to the deal.

Still, many questions looms. Who is the actual owner of the periodical division? Will they bring Star Wars Gamer back from the dead, or will there be a new format?

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
27 June 2002, 12:07 AM
This means that if it comes back, it'll be independent? Wow, I might respect it then, rather than that overly biased thing before that you couldn't count on to give you an honest word on a Star Wars product.

Superdog
27 June 2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
This means that if it comes back, it'll be independent? Wow, I might respect it then, rather than that overly biased thing before that you couldn't count on to give you an honest word on a Star Wars product.
I know what you mean. I'd go to gamerankings and read bad reviews of a game and then SWG would tell me how great it is. Same thing with RPG books, swrpgnetwork would tell me an RPG supplement was bad, SWG tells me how great it is. After I realized they weren't objective, I lost all interest. If, they were independent however, I might become interested again.

REG
27 June 2002, 01:21 AM
I sincerely doubt it would be totally independent. The magazine, in its current format, should remain as an official support of Star Wars d20, as I am sure they're getting some kind of an agreement with Wizards since they're the sole licensee of RPG product. That and the fact that LFL will have to approve all material before they can be printed.

Personally, I am happy that Gamer might return, period. Star Wars d20 and TCG need that kind of support.

Reverend Strone
27 June 2002, 12:49 PM
SWG might be coming back? Oh, please be true, please be true, please be true...

REG
27 June 2002, 09:03 PM
Maybe I put this discussion in the wrong forum. Nobody else has any opinion on this possbility or are they waiting for more information?

At least Moridin updated his SWRPGNetwork frontpage news. :)

Reverend Strone
27 June 2002, 09:44 PM
I don't think anyone knows for sure what the story is REG. We can but hope, but unless WOTC publish some kind of statement, it's hard to glean any information on the subject.

REG
28 June 2002, 01:31 AM
Well, in addition to SWRPGNetwork, two other RPG news sites are reporting this. Please understand there are unconfirmed:

www.enworld.org
www.gamingreport.com

REG
1 July 2002, 12:25 PM
Well, the deal is not yet final, but it is heading that direction. Lisa Steven appears to be involved in the sale of the ENTIRE Wizards' Periodicals Division. As mentioned in SWRPGNetwork frontpage news, Lisa Steven used to be the brand manager of Wizards' Star Wars RPG. That may work to our advantage in bringing Star Wars Gamer back from coma... err, I mean "hiatus."

REG
8 July 2002, 02:42 PM
Well, the official press release is out.

Paizo Publishing will be carry Dragon, Dungeon/Polyhedron, and Star Wars Insider ... but not Star Wars Gamer.

That's the last time I invest my emotion on a woman (i.e., Lisa Stevens).

Yeah, it sucks. Unfortunately, I'm also a D&D/d20 gamer so I'll be supporting your publishing company through the purchase of Dragon and Dungeon/Polyhedron.

I just hope that besides adding Star Wars adventures to Dungeon/Polyhedron they will add JD Wiker's Holonet Transmission (the SWRPG counterpart of Skip Williams' Sage Advice column).

Lisa, if you're reading this board, you better make amends with us Star Wars gamer. Offering one Star Wars adventure per issue is NOT ENOUGH.

Ash
8 July 2002, 02:46 PM
Just wanted to say that I started a thread concerning an online petition to try and save Star Wars Gamer. The thread link is..

http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=8320

Grimace
8 July 2002, 06:25 PM
I'll move this off to Rumors and Speculation...perhaps you'll get more feedback there.

grizzly
11 July 2002, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if the ownership change of SW Insider will result in the SW fan club becoming International once again, rather than the current US/Canada only affair that occured with WotCs take over?