PDA

View Full Version : One GM, No PCs

sabremaster
27 June 2002, 04:39 PM
I am really into SWRPG, however I have one problem that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have no PCs. The area where I live already has a well established rpg group, however, some of the members and I do not see eye to eye so I can't get in.
I would like to start my own group and am wondering if any of the other experienced GMs out there have any tips on getting started, in relation to getting members without really ticking off the members of the well established group.

A good perspective would be appreciated.

Sabre
27 June 2002, 05:24 PM
I have a few suggestions for you to try.

First, ask your friends or other people who you know are interested in Star Wars (and are not involved with this other group) if they would like to join you for a Star Wars game. They don't have to know what an RPG is to have fun. Several of my former players had never played an RPG before they met me, but I knew they were interested in Star Wars, and it turned out that we all had a lot of fun.

Second, you could try an online game. The Info Trader's net here yields results sometimes, and there are other online resources. I've seen several people mention Open RPG (http://www.openrpg.com) and I've used it myself on occasion. Never could find a game to join, but there's quite a few people interested in playing, and apparently the numbers have been increasing lately. Summer is a good time to start looking.

Hope one of these tips is useful to you.

evan hansen
27 June 2002, 07:41 PM
I definately concur with sabre's thoughts about star wars fans. I had NEVER played an RPG when I started with WEG's 2nd ed rules of Star Wars. It was a riot! I've often found d20 harder, but I hear that lots of folks find it very intuitive... so one of the two systems will undoubtedly yield some fun.

You might also consider posting stuff at local gaming shops. A lot of places will let you put up a sign up sheet for interested gamers. And, really, there's no rule saying that SOME of those local people can't play in more than one game. So politely ask them about that possibility.

Just a few thoughts.

Ravager_of_worlds
28 June 2002, 08:30 AM
one of my best players ever was a just a fan in one of my classes. never rpged with paper/dice... but was an avid fan of the video game persausion. Asked him to watch a session to see if he would like it- he did... however, this suggestion only if your group is already started with a minimum number of people but wanting to expand.

You can have a great group with minimum of three IMHO... 3-6 seems to be the magic number of players, so that's not so tough. And yeah, there is no rule about being married to a particular group. like the pimps of the seventies and today, 'no woman (rpg group) will hold me down' heh... multiple groups, very much fun... multiple women... very much trouble. 8o

GM Meck
28 June 2002, 09:00 AM
Wow, I'm not alone. I've tried on and off for about 2 years now to get a SWRPG group of my own, and I never could get one. I think up all these great adventures, plots, etc. but I guess i'm not good at advertising. Or maybe it's becuz I still play D6. I would be glad to be a player in your group, if you are creating an online group. Just let me know.

Nova Spice
28 June 2002, 06:19 PM
Take their advice, because that is exactly what I did. Heck when we started a year and a half ago, I was the only Star Wars fan! Now my four friends (PCs) are all Star Wars fans and love the RPG! You have to give it a shot. I recommend starting with at least three people, though I started with four, progressed to six, then just went back down to four.
Good luck! I hope you find some PCs because if (or should I say when?) you do, you will have the time of your life! :D :p

sabremaster
28 June 2002, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the ideas I really appreciate the input and am glad to see that I am not alone in my struggle to find interested players. I think I will give it another shot and see what i come up with.

sabremaster

Odd_Bloke
29 June 2002, 11:25 AM
I too would be interested to join any online gaming groups. I jus' can't get enough SWRPG. :D I would prefer D20, but hey GM's choice.

Puck
29 June 2002, 05:12 PM
I too have been looking for a good SW Online game - having participated in the SW Online RPG (http://sworpg.hypermart.net/) and recently had the PBEM I was running grind to a halt through lack of player commitment. *sigh* :raised:

I'd be keen on an online game - one where the role of GM can be shared around in order to keep things fresh.

Feel free to email folks.

Puck :)

The Admiral
30 June 2002, 02:44 AM
If you have an institute of higher learning nearby, they're invariably good places to find gamers. Find out if they have a gaming group, and go say hi. Or post something on a bulletin board there.

Students are a mixed blessing;

They can usually stay up as late as they like.

They are perpetually penniless and will consume any and all food and drink (especially beer) in your home.