PDA

View Full Version : how cruel should I be?

BrianDavion
3 July 2002, 12:26 AM
ok, in my last gaming session my PCs where fighting a dark jedi by a sith alchemical apperatus. one of my PCs gets the bright idea to push this guy INTO the pit with all the alchemical stuff.. I'm considering having him come back.. alchemicaly altered, looking for vengence..

any ideas on that? I'm looking towards basicly massivly pumping his physical stats still he has a STR, CON and DEX of like 20.

Jastor
3 July 2002, 01:17 AM
hmm.. we have all seen Batman and The Toxic Avenger so sure why not?

Thou with some "flaws" (or call them flaws?)

examples:
the long nerves in his body has taken damage so he cant feel pain

hes become psycho (if he already wasnt ;) due to the numerous amount of damage his body and brain has taken (dont know how o handle this thou since hes a dark sider and hes almost supposed to be this already)

his body temperature is a lot higher than normal, so he have to cool of every now and then

depending on how long it was before he came back to challenge the PC, he has trained hard and long (higer stats) just for vengance. his blinded with this foe and cant see anything else.

... hmm .. all that i can come up with right now

DARTH VADER
3 July 2002, 05:25 AM
GIVE HIM SOME CLAWS AND DARKVISION.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
3 July 2002, 06:42 AM
The first rule of comics and gaming - if you dont see the body, then they're not really dead. Not only would I expect this (if I were in your group), I'd say that it's almost required.

Of course - that may be just the turn off you need. Why do it if they know it's coming. . .

lrdgrifter
3 July 2002, 06:57 AM
A couple quick suggestions.

I like Jastor's idea of nerve damage, but the feeling no pain should be a secondary symptom of how serious the damage is. As a matter of fact, if he were to take that much nerve damage, chances are, he would lose DEX. Therefore, I suggest that the character required a replacement computerized "nervous system" to translate some more basic commands to his body. The computer replacement is MUCH quicker than his old mundane fleshy body, so give the character a +2 to DEX, but a -4 to skill checks dealing with small detailed movements (soldering circuit board, for example). The -4 is mainly to reflect the fact that the computer is faster, but ultimately inferior, and to keep your power gamers from stripping out their spinal collumn for a shiny new one.

Another idea would be to be actually alchemically altered by the compound. What I suggest would be DR. By being immersed in the ensorceled waters for so long, the Dark Jedi's skin started to harden while still maintaining it's elasticity. The skin no longer resembles the skin of a normal human/twillek/chiss/whatever. Instead, it looks more like the skin of a toad (alternately bumpy and shiny) of the same pigmentation that the character originally had. I would suggest DR 5 just to make it difficult and meaningful (honestly, what is DR 2 going to accomplish?). Oh, yeah, one more thing. The process imbues the character with 1 DSP for each DR desired (up to 5) due to the inherently Dark nature of the sorcery.

Finally, as an effect of the vat, I would only give the character a +1 (maybe +2) to CON & STR if there was a -1 (or -2) to both WIS & INT. You can't always give without taking away, and such is the nature of the Dark Side of the Force.

Hope some of this is useful, and good luck!:)

Edited for formatting.

Draamal
3 July 2002, 08:11 AM
Gotta go with Tony on this one. It is required. Havn't your players ever read any comics or books with really good villains in them? If I was a player in your group I would be having night sweats about that villain coming back.

Ravager_of_worlds
3 July 2002, 08:14 AM
also,

jump him 1 level in a prestige class. maybe that alchemical material got him in tune with a sith spirit or something. or he just believes it's a sith spirit...

or you can have the vat turn him into the worst thing possible- a gorgeous, buxom young woman with all the afore mentioned powers but with a new 'cover' to get close. how funny would that be for the girl they just picked up in the bar to use a garotte when they go to 'the back'

hee hee.

or just mutate and turn into a powerhouse.

Zyborg22
3 July 2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Ravager_of_worlds
or just mutate and turn into a powerhouse.

I love that idea! I think you should at least mutate him, since it is a vat of alchemic material. Everything else is up to you.

BrianDavion
3 July 2002, 08:29 PM
actually one of my PCs DOES supect it. I haven't finalized anything. however if he does come back it'll make for a good long term story arc..

I figure the campaign of vengence will be sublte...

shadow master
3 July 2002, 11:19 PM
One thing you could do is give him the innate powers of the Croker, natural illusions. That, accompanied with Mind Trick and a few other well placed skill points and a few levels to accomidate the players and a good deal of 'bluffing', the players won't know what's real and what's not.
Like one thing I did to my PCs. They all failed their Will save and I had my Force Witch to convince them that the people on the blimp didn't actually exist and so when the battle was over and the three dark siders retreated, the found a lot of dead people because of lightsaber wounds. DSPs around to all in combat. Unfortunately one was stuck to guarding the person they were supposed to be protecting and didn't even draw his saber.
Also, you should have them believe that it is him following them for a few adventures, but it's not so and have him show up at the most unexpected and worst time. Perhaps they have just defeated a troupe of bad guys and are about to claim the prize when BAM the new-improved Dark Jedi shows up to keep them from it.;)

Jastor
4 July 2002, 02:07 PM
hmm ..

dont forgett his increased "strength" due to the nerve damages :)

BrianDavion
4 July 2002, 02:38 PM
hmm I coul pump the physical stats just a Little AND add a modified Litch Template.

reliant
9 July 2002, 05:21 AM
I'd make him some kind of darkside monster. After he falls in the stuff he comes out REAL ugly, but all kinds of strong. His strength, dex, and con would be boosted (maybe +6). His flaw is that he is totally obvious (due to his huge rancor size). Then give him claws and scary spiky bits and all kinds of evil stuff and send him after the PC's. I bet they'll think twice before they leave before checking to make sure the bad guy is dead...

Mwnci
9 July 2002, 06:02 AM
I like all the ideas so far but heck if your PC's are gonna really start pushing Dark Jedi into pits of gooo, really give mess them up.... how about making him come out a monster but heck people have family you know! How about a young sweet daughter (say 8,9,10,11?) and wife who has seen her dad/husband bent and corrupted to the darkside. they wont understand all that has happened to corrupt him and may think the characters are involved in what he has become (they may even think he is dead, with him being so hideously deformed and corrrupted he wont let them know he survived). They naturally have there hearts in the right place but swear vengance upon the characters and do all they can to kill them. Could be aan interesting one for characters who aree force sensitive as to how they deal with this...Do they kill the wife and sweet young daughter to save there own skins or do they risk it and try to save the NPC's twisted souls....hmm in fact i really like this one might use it myself give the PC's some real moral dilemas and see what they do. (makes a change from blasting the boys in white).

Mwnci

The Admiral
10 July 2002, 03:33 AM
I'd consider having his body mutate into a small kitten.

No one would ever see that coming.

"We meet again Dar--- he's not here."
"What do you mean he's not here?"
"Well, look!"
"He's not here."
"I know."
(mew?)
"Where in the name of stang IS he?"
"Maybe he's gone back to his ship?"
(mew?)
"I dunno. Well, I guess it's back to square one. Let's go have a 'quiet word' with Biznit the Snitch."
"Yeah."
(mew?)
"Hey, I wonder why this kittens here?"
"The Force only know. Poor bugger, looks like no ones fed him for days."
"Take him back to the ship?"
(mew?)
"Yeah, can't leave him here, say lil' fella, want some fish?"
(mew?)
"Aw,,,,,"

Neelah
10 July 2002, 03:54 AM
as far as i know darth vader fell in a lava pitt and survived. But he needed his armor to walk around, only in that cocoon of his he could survive without armor.

Stuff your Jedi in a Scary looking armor, let him sleep in a 'Michael Jackson oxygentent' and give him some more str and dex.

reliant
10 July 2002, 04:16 AM
I'd consider having his body mutate into a small kitten.

Now THAT is truly evil! 8o

Ravager_of_worlds
10 July 2002, 08:24 AM
and oh so vicious. i'm glad i don't know The Admiral in real life. Or gamed with him. I'd develop paranoia for my character in two steps of cat's tail. :D

GreenCape
12 July 2002, 06:01 AM
Here's a combination of several of the ideas which have already been mentioned:
That vat of alchemical stuff has decomposed his body to such a point that it can't retain it's shape any more, basically he's a pool of lumpy slime on the floor. Under that form, most of his physical attributes are near 0, and he can only move by oozing his way along the ground.
BUT he gets this implant which allows his body to regain it's solidity, and the nasty bit is that this implant can be programmed with different shapes, so he can basically transform into anything he wants. Of course, this implant is pretty vulnerable, e.g. Jawa ion rifles, so he does everything he can to keep this a secret.
And if the players manage to find a way to reprogram the implant...

Zyborg22
14 July 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by GreenCape
Here's a combination of several of the ideas which have already been mentioned:
That vat of alchemical stuff has decomposed his body to such a point that it can't retain it's shape any more, basically he's a pool of lumpy slime on the floor. Under that form, most of his physical attributes are near 0, and he can only move by oozing his way along the ground.
BUT he gets this implant which allows his body to regain it's solidity, and the nasty bit is that this implant can be programmed with different shapes, so he can basically transform into anything he wants. Of course, this implant is pretty vulnerable, e.g. Jawa ion rifles, so he does everything he can to keep this a secret.
And if the players manage to find a way to reprogram the implant...

I love that idea B) . I might even use it :D .

As for my own idea, maybe the alchemic material could alter his lungs so he could only breath type 3 atmosphere, so he somehow puts something in his lair that could change the atmosphere to a type 3 atmosphere.