PDA

View Full Version : What is the year in Star Wars?

Bodom79
5 July 2002, 02:00 AM
Have anybody ever thinking about same thing? What year is going in Star Wars? I mean, that example what is the year in the beginning of New Hope? I have never seen it mentioned. I have only seen like 25 years before New Hope. It doesn't matter much, but I just thought that it would be nice to know.

Zanus
5 July 2002, 02:39 PM
Movie wise I don't think they have an actual year calender they mention. everything is "two thousand years ago" "Three months ago" yadda yadda yadda. In acouple EU sources they actually manage to use some sort of calendar, but they make it pretty clear that every new power that comes about (Empire, New Republic) all have their own new calendar they use. Mind you, the EU calendar mentions have no affect on the Movies calendar.

Here is my question, they use the term 'cycle' in the books, and I think the movies, but I can't remember what context it was in, was it a day or a year?

Ravager_of_worlds
8 July 2002, 09:22 AM
maybe the 'cycle' is the ovulation period of the average mammal. you know, comb the galaxy for the most average mammal and start your watch by it's hormonal cycle. seems to make as much sense as any other way to tell time. :)

Autochton
1 August 2002, 03:04 AM
The only problem with that approach: They all have something extraordinary in them, if only extraordinary boredom. No one mammal can ever receive the predicate 'average'.

For more information on this subject, see CSICON (http://rawilson.com/csicon.shtml).

Wade Trenor
1 August 2002, 05:04 AM
The Holonet gives the year as 23 during the Clone Wars. So The Phantom Menace is in the year 13, Attack of the Clones in 23, Episode III is in 25, A New Hope in 45, Empire Strikes Back occurs in the year 48, and Return of the Jedi in 49.

One thing I don't know is what century they're in...

By the way, there are 10 standards months in a standard year, and 7 standard weeks in a month. I can only assume that there are 7 standard days in a week, and 24 hous in a standard day. Anybody able to verify this?

Jedi_Staailis
1 August 2002, 05:59 AM
I can't say anything about the years, but according to WEG's 2nd Edition R&E (pg. 199), timekeeping is based off Coruscant.

"There are 60 standard seconds in a standard hour, 24 standard hours in a standard day, five standard days in a standard week and seven standard weeks in a standard month. A standard year is 368 days: ten standard months plus three fete weeks and three more holidays, all devoted to traditional celebrations, festivals and observances."

I can only assume that the 60 seconds in an hour is a typo, and that they somehow missed minutes in there. :) The rest of it seems pretty self explanatory.

Mwnci
1 August 2002, 06:41 AM
I can only confirm what Staailis has said. I do have a yearly calender that i use in my D6 games thati GM. I find it very usefull especially as a way of recording time between adventures and character b/days etc ol, ill try and post it on here somewhere. I got it off the Web years ago and i cant remember who devised it if i did id certainly give them the credit for it. As with to regartds to what actual year it I have no idea nad have often thought of the problem myself, in the end i just made a year up based on the idea that we know thro the comic books that the Republic started around 10,000 or 25,000 years ago with the advent of the hyperdrive system.

Wade Trenor
1 August 2002, 03:49 PM
Thnks for the info. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a year and a half of dates to change on my website...

Wade Trenor
1 August 2002, 03:59 PM
Here's the Holonet: http://www.holonetnews.com/

(My browser is playing up today...)

Also, I may have been a teensy bit mistaken, and the year is 13 during the Clone Wars, not 23. Just move everything back a decade.

The way they write the date is yy:m:d.

Sithspawn
2 August 2002, 12:56 AM
As a majority of my game is in the Tapani Sector I use the Tapani calendar from the Lords of the Expanse boxed set.

The Battle of Hoth is year 12,723

Mwnci
11 August 2002, 03:24 AM
Calender

Ok folx this is the calender I mentioned before. please note that the year used on the example is 25219 which fits in with the idea of the hyberdrive invention being approximatly 25,000 years ago before Star wArs New Hope and thus made interstellar transport possible and thus the need for a standardising of the year.

The months are numbered, not named. since it is a technologically advanced society with diverse species, it was standardised so dates are quoted as: month/day/year i.e. 09/27/25219. So someone would say it is "oh-nine, twenty-seven, twenty-five two one nine".

The months have seven 5 day weeks.

The Festival Weeks are:

The Festival of Life, which occures between the third and fourth months, during which the people celebrate the gift of life.

The Festival of Stars, which occures between the sixth and seventh months, which celebrates the ability to travel between the stars. Many people take interstellar vacations during this week.

The Festival of Yule, which occures between the ninth and tenth months, is a celebration which has carried down throught he millenia, and originated from the human core worlds. It is a week of parties, family times, and giftgiving.

The 3 Festival Days are:

Rememebrance Day, which occures between the fourth and fifth months and is a day of rememberance for all those who have fallen in the New Order (This holiday used to be called Republic Day, but the days meaning has not changed)

Emperor Day, which occures between the 8th and 9th months, is a celebration for the great Emperor, who has brough peace and order to the galaxy once more (This used to be called Presidents day before the coming of the Emperor)

New Years Day, which occures between the last month of the year and the first month of the year, as a remmeberance of the year past and celebration of the year to come.

Attached is a word Document with a yearly calender on.

Although not specifically what people asked for I hope they find this usefull.