PDA

View Full Version : How would you rule....

wolverine
10 July 2002, 10:27 AM
Say you are 1 of 20 or so gm's in a multi convention spanning starwars chronicle. You keep everyone's characters updated on a computer data-base, and when a player plays a module, he gets an update sheet. He or she keeps these sheets, until the character is handed in to be updated in the data base.

The last game the player is in bnefore he gets his character updated, he spends 5 force points, in a very heroic combat (started out at 15 to 3 odds, the first round, then went to 14 to 2 in the second, and was 13 to 1 in the 3rd and subsiquent rounds). Everyone had great fun, and the battle was what novels and films are made of.

Now u are updating his character, with all his sheets, and his sheet in front of you. You go through it, and add up all the changes to his FP total, and notice, through either his error or a possible missing sheet or 2, that he should have only 3 FP in his total, that could have been spent in the last module he was in. After checking both his records and having another person go over the sheet, you notice why and where the mess up came in (he/she put 2 bonus CP he earned in the FP area by accident).

It is already too late to have him re-play the module, as each character can only pplay a module once. What punishment would you give??
Would you even punish him??

Ravager_of_worlds
10 July 2002, 10:31 AM
if it has already occurred... nothing can be done. just chalk it up to a mistake and proceed as normal. simple errors don't deserve punishment, cheating does. however, if the player decides to 'take a hit' to make up for it, i woudn't say no either. what i mean by 'take a hit' is basically they decide to penalize themself over the issue. when they would normally have used a force point, they can decide to spend it and get nothing.

was this for Living Force by chance?

scottyboy
10 July 2002, 10:49 AM
I agree with Ravager on this one. If it has already been determined that the player did not do it on purpose and was not cheating, then it hardly seems fair to punish him for something that has already taken place. However if you decide that you must punish him or he decides that on his own, then I would:

1) The next 2 force points that he tries to use, don't count for anything
or
2) The next 2 force points that he would recieve, he doesn't get.
or
3) (This one's pretty harsh but you could do it) Dock his experience for whatever you determine those 2 force points achieved him in that module (i.e. take away experience for 2 enemies that he killed)

Any of these would be reasonable calls, based on the mistake that was made. But as I stated before, I personally don't think that it would be fair to punish him for something he didn't know.

evan hansen
10 July 2002, 11:56 AM
Under no circumstance should this person be the target of any retribution. As has been said, what's done is done.

But just to further some of the other discussion Ravager brought up, I should say that it appears that there's no way to find out if the character cheated or not. (Of course, it's unlikely anyone would cheat in such a blatant fashion anyhow, but...)

With that in mind, consider this: it will work out. :-) If the player is not cheating, it was simply an accident and the dice will eventually come back to bite him in the butt and take him or her down a notch. It happens both ways in role playing, and it'll work out.

If the player is cheating, then it's likely that he or she will try it at least one more time to do something similar. Then the player can be confronted. But still not punished.

I just feel it's always right to give the benefit of the doubt. ill will is no fun. :-)

scottyboy
10 July 2002, 12:03 PM
I really didn't mean that you should do anything to this player. I completely agree that what's done is done. However, if this player WAS cheating, I don't think that he'll try anything again. Or at least not for a long while. For one simple reason... if he's cheating, he's lucky that he didn't get caught this time. And he KNOWS that. He knows because it was so blatant as you said.

evan hansen
10 July 2002, 12:09 PM
Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to imply I thought you were advocating punishment. It was more of a response to the initial thought. :-)

Snugans!

Fab
10 July 2002, 02:33 PM
I think he should just drop down to "negative two" Force points. The next two times he levels up, or does something amazing that would earn him a Force point simply brings him up towards zero. Consider it a "loan" of Force points from his future.

Pel
10 July 2002, 06:59 PM
That sounds fair. Of course it wouldn't hurt to approach said player in a friendly manner and just ask what happened. Either way it's really no big deal, but if it comes down to it may I suggest sodium pentathol and a really bright lamp. :D

Troy Henist
11 July 2002, 02:21 AM
I wouldn't punish them, because more than likely it would be a mistake.

But I would point out to them that they did make a mistake, and just ask them to be careful in the future.

Now if after they were told, and they still did the same thing again then I would think about punishment.

wolverine
11 July 2002, 03:12 AM
Interesting responses so far.

Just for note, no it is no living force (it is d6 starwars). THe character in question is non force sensitive. And the player was ME!!!!!! (had way to many scribble marks over the sheet). I was so used to writing what i lost/gained/earned/used in the sheet (and on the update), that i didn't consider doing a full 'check'up where i bounced the 2 against each other. That is why i messed up.

But just glad to hear, many of yoiu wold not punish me.
But nice suggestions as to the next 2 FP earned are not earned, just used to off balance the mistake.......