PDA

View Full Version : Imperial SOP for Handling Jedi

cdtatro
11 July 2002, 05:08 AM
I'm looking for a "reality check" on where my campaign is going. Hopefully my players aren't reading this...

My group started off in the Prequel era, actually just before the events of AotC. Through circumstances too complex to bore you with here, the planet they were on contained a "temporal anomaly" (really, it was much better than it sounds) and when they blasted off they found themselves about 25 years later, smack dab in the Rebellion Era.

The planet they were on was of great interest to the Emperor (he was looking for the same thing they had been looking for 25 years earlier, the thing that caused the temporal anomaly. In fact, he as Chancellor sent the group there in the first place). Thus there were a couple of "large, unfamiliar, triangular shaped ships" and "eyeball-like fighters" in orbit that immediately ordered them to lower shields and prepare to be boarded.

The group contains 2 Jedi, one Force Adept with a heapload of Dark Side, a bounty hunter, and a techie. They also have onboard the corpses of two fallen Jedi masters. Both of the living Jedi are non-humans. You can probably see where I'm going with this. What will the Empire do with them? Since they're from the Republic era they have no idea that the Jedi have been hunted and exterminated, so they'll likely say what they are right off the top. I guess what I'm asking is how much shuffling around they'd get before being executed? Even if they weren't Jedi, this planet has ben declared "off-limits" by the Emperor since he knows there's some sweet sweet mojo there he wants to get his mitts on, so they're likely to be executed for treason anyway.

This is what I have in mind at present: Local ISD group admiral realizes he has some Jedi and that he's way out of his league. Depending on what they say, he may even realize they are not completely insane and are indeed from another time period. This may be exactly what the Emperor was looking for, and deliver them directly to Coruscant. OR if he doesn't figure out the time displacement thing, but just thinks they are Rebel scum, he hands them over to the local Moff (or the Moff just grabs them to take credit for rooting out the rebels). What would be the step above that for the Moff to hand them off to? Directly to the Emperor? To Imperial Intelligence for interrogation?

And of course, once it is realized that there are some Jedi there, Lord Vader will take a personal interest in the matter, since every one he failed to track down and exterminate shows up on his performance evaluation.

Any suggestions for where I should go with them? Once I settle on what the Empire would do with them I can begin plotting around that, setting up opportunities for escape, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

scottyboy
11 July 2002, 05:28 AM
I would think that the next step would be to Vader himself. It would make sense for the time period that there would be an SOP for all imperial personell to report the presence of Jedi. And even a Moff would probably have to go through Vader to get a message to the Emperor. Plus, the Jedi hunt wasn't just something that Vader was doing on his free time. It was a full time thing for the WHOLE empire. So I think that the Moff or the Admiral, one of the two, would contact Vader and he would come in the Executor and take immediate custody of the Jedi or just try to kill them on the spot.

Kaziganthi
11 July 2002, 06:12 AM
Might go through one of the inquisitors,
Before it gets to Vader,

scottyboy
11 July 2002, 06:21 AM
Very true, but it all depends on what time you are at in the Rebellion era. I don't know. During the Rebellion era, the empire believes that all the Jedi have been exterminated, so any report of a Jedi is going to be a huge thing. I think that if the Moff gets ahold of them, he'll go straight to Vader. Especially if he believes what they have to say about being from another time. Of course if you want to give the players a fighting chance at getting away... You could have the Moff try and kill them so that he can get some good standing with the Emperor. It would definitely be easier for the characters to escape from a Moff and his stormtroopers, then it would be to escape from Vader and his inquisitors.

cdtatro
11 July 2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by scottyboy
Very true, but it all depends on what time you are at in the Rebellion era. I don't know. During the Rebellion era, the empire believes that all the Jedi have been exterminated, so any report of a Jedi is going to be a huge thing.
Well, I haven't actually figured out exactly when they are yet :) My first reaction is between IV and V, but it's very tempting to try to get them to Alderaan just before the DS shows up...

I think that if the Moff gets ahold of them, he'll go straight to Vader. Especially if he believes what they have to say about being from another time. Of course if you want to give the players a fighting chance at getting away... You could have the Moff try and kill them so that he can get some good standing with the Emperor. It would definitely be easier for the characters to escape from a Moff and his stormtroopers, then it would be to escape from Vader and his inquisitors.
I think there would definitely be a lot of maneuvering to try to claim the "glory" for finding these Jedi, maybe some foolish Moff would even try to rub it in Vader's face that he didn't do the job "right." The Moff would certainly try to be the one to claim the credit, snubbing the Group Admiral that brought them to his attention, and the group Admiral would certainly snub the captain of the ISD that actually brought them in in the first place.
I don't think anyone along the way would execute them before Vader or an Inquisitor got there. It's tough to prove that these corpses really were Jedi, like the Moff is claiming. Plus Vader's going to want to know where these Jedi were hiding, whether they knew any other Jedi, etc. Can't interrogate corpses (well, I'm sure a Sith Lord can, but I don't even want to think about it).
Thanks for the ideas/help!

Chris

scottyboy
11 July 2002, 08:06 AM
I agree with you totally. I think that it would be almost a battle to the death to see who gets the credit for what. And I also agree that you should keep them alive at least long enough to be "interrogated". I can think of a lot of cool spins on an interrogation session! It could be fun. I'm glad that I could help you out. Any time!

evan hansen
11 July 2002, 09:10 AM
If you like long campaigns, I'd set up a bit of a fake-out.

Make them *think* its going to be Vader. Have them scared and running like there's no tomorrow. And then have them find out that its some Inquisitor -- and let them think they can win. Remember: if it's any time after Ep IV, then Vader is clearly occupied with Luke Skywalker. He'll only break away from that for the most important of things -- and there aren't many things more important than Luke. So send some other bad ass after them.

And then have them win. Then have Vader show up to whoop some butt.

This lets you get a couple fun story elements in:
1 - A lengthy chase culminating in a successful fight against an Inquisitor
2 - A narrow escape from the most feared villain in Star Wars

Just an idea. You'd have to focus very much on the larger story -- don't get bogged down in details. But it'd be fun, I think.

cdtatro
11 July 2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by evan hansen
If you like long campaigns, I'd set up a bit of a fake-out.

Well, I don't know how long the game is going to go on, but I like the idea of not throwing Vader at them. At least not right away. I want to steer clear of as many "movie characters" (and novel characters too) as possible. It's a big empire, and there are plenty of other scary types out there.

And yes, scottyboy, I plan to have them interrogated (now I needs me some Inquisitor stats for d6...). Not to mention that the Emperor is going to want to know about these guys who were found on a world where he's looking for a Lost Mighty Mighty Item of Nastiness (tm). Actually, that piece of the campaign has given me a whole idea for a "Dark Side Archaeologists Corps" trying to dig up any lost Jedi or Sith toys that may be of interest to Palpy.

Chris

Ravager_of_worlds
11 July 2002, 09:50 AM
yeah, i agree, with a bueracracy the size of the empire, if the planet they are on is the outer rim, then an inquisitor would be next on the choice.

but then again, would imperial officers believe that someone would actually claim to be a jedi and be one? woulnd't it be more likely they are a bunch of crazies? Which proper SOP demands at least 1 inquisitor to check out these 'loonies'- allowing them to get up to speed for their characters on the situation;

which may intrigue them to run back to the anomaly and try to 'save the future'- which can be real fun too. you have a techie, why not have him succumb to his own intelligence? They may end up... causing the jedi purge... that would be funny... or end up being inquisitors themselves. just a thought.

scottyboy
11 July 2002, 10:29 AM
You're right about the inquisitor now that I think about it. If it's an outer rim world, then Vader isn't going to go all the way out there just on the possibility that they are Jedi. I also think that Ravager is on to something with those ideas. That would be a really twisted idea! But it would be fun. Imagine the looks on the players faces when they find out that it was they who caused the Jedi Purge! I don't exactly know how you could do that. But if you can think of a way, just the looks on their faces would make it worth the effort! Great thinking Ravager!

cdtatro
11 July 2002, 10:42 AM
A good idea, but I don't think they'll try that. Let me explain the nature of the "anomaly" a little more.

For those of you Cthulhu fans out there, I'll just say the name "Carcosa."

Long and short of it: an Ancient Evil Embodiment of the Dark Side (let's call him "Hastur") was, centuries ago, entombed on this outer rim world. He was recently "awakened". Wherever he goes, a Zone of Weirdness (Carcosa) surrounds him, including temporal distortion. Time is not linear within the zone. Sometimes it loops, sometimes it passes slower in there than in the rest of the world. The PCs stopped the Evil Thing and entombed it again, causing the Zone to go away, and depositing them 25 years or so later than when they went in a day or so before.

To activate the Zone again would require letting Big Bad back out, and they do not want to do that. Plus they likely would not have any way to control the flow properly to make sure they get back to their own time if they did (you're thinking Spock in 1930 with the tricorder saying when to jump back through the Guardian aren't you?).

As for the SOP being to dispatch an INquisitor, that makes perfect sense. I mean, what else are these guys doing once the Order is mostly destroyed? They're just sitting on their duffs pulling in a fat Imperial salary is what! :) Better to give them something to do.

And I have a feeling the ISD commander will start believing they are real Jedi once they spark up the 'Sabers and start mowing people down :D I know my players, it's just inevitable.

Chris

scottyboy
11 July 2002, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I guess the whole "mowing people down with lightsabers" thing would probably make it pretty easy to believe they are Jedi! Sounds like a pretty interesting campaign. Kudos!

cdtatro
11 July 2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by scottyboy
Sounds like a pretty interesting campaign. Kudos!

Well, thanks. What I've posted is only a small slice of what was going on. I hope to write the whole thing up in a web-book format (we still on for that Evan?) soon. The "jumping 25 years in the future" was really 1) to avoid getting all screwed up when my version of the Clone Wars doesn't jibe with Ep. III and b) just so I could see the look on the Shistavanen Jedi's face when I described the approaching Star Destroyers and he realized exactly how screwed he was! :D

Chris

scottyboy
11 July 2002, 12:34 PM
Hey if you do write the whole thing up. Let me know, I would like to get a copy of it. If I can ever find a group to play with again, I will probably run it! It's just one of those plots that you could really take anywhere you wanted to go. I like it.

Pel
11 July 2002, 06:21 PM
I agree that there would be a huge amount of infighting and political maneuvering among the Imperials to grab credit for themselves (because it's not who you know but what dirt you've got on whom that gets you in good with the big guy).

The Admiral/General/Moff would probably botch things and let the PCs escape (at least temporarily) or try to execute them on the spot (or both). Then Intelligence gets wind of it and one of their agents shows up all smiles and buddy-buddy to "aid" the fugitives. He probably gets whacked when ISB/COMPNOR become involved or when the military tries to recapture the group.

At this point someone important hears of the fiasco in the Rim, and dispatches either an Inquisitor (Tremayne would be ultra cool), minor Dark Jedi, or an Imperial Advisor to ascertain what's going on. They scream for poppa, and either Vader shows, or an Imperial Dungeon Ship crewed exclusively by Dungeoneers (really nasty guys well-versed in capturing, and holding Jedi). Then the PCs get the cool choice of "Join us or die". Oh yeah, and definitely have them tortured/interrogated a couple of times along the way just for fun! :D

Kaziganthi
11 July 2002, 11:41 PM
i like the dungeoneers idea,
using the same idea, give the Inquisitor an Elite Stormtrooper
guard of 'Jedi Hunters' (complete with stylised armor), Give
them EMP Weapons to deactive they're lightsabers, Force nets (which
stun and hamper movement), Force Pikes and LR Blaster rifles.
That Could Make the Inquisitor a little more difficult to take down.

cdtatro
12 July 2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Pel
They scream for poppa, and either Vader shows, or an Imperial Dungeon Ship crewed exclusively by Dungeoneers (really nasty guys well-versed in capturing, and holding Jedi).
Speak to me more of these "dungeon ships". All I've seen is a one panel shot in Dark Empire, I think (I don't read much of the EU stuff, I must confess). Are stats available for the ships and generic "dungeoneer" d6 stats available anywhere?

Also, I know some d6 book had Tremayne's stats - anyone know where I could find them? And does he appear in any of the novels, or is he solely a creation of the game?

As for the elite Jedi Hunting Stormtroopers, I already have a few ideas in that direction. But would such a unit exist by the time of ANH, or would they believe most Jedi to be dead and see the unti as no longer having a purpose? Was the Empire still interested in hunting down the scattered Failed Jedi and whatnot living in caves in the Outer Rim? If so, they were doing a piss-poor job of it not to have found Obi-Wan!

Again, thanks for the ideas, and keep 'em coming!

Chris

evan hansen
12 July 2002, 05:28 AM
Well, thanks. What I've posted is only a small slice of what was going on. I hope to write the whole thing up in a web-book format (we still on for that Evan?) soon.

Of course we're still on for that!

See, this sounds like a unique, fun campaign to me. And I'm *always* down for getting stuff like this out there in a format everyone can see/read and take good stuff away from.

Kaziganthi
12 July 2002, 05:44 AM
the Jedi Hunters just like Modern Spec Forces require Reliable Information, They probably wouldn't be Force sensitive and would have to rely on the Inquisitors own information, and if the inquisitors couldn't find Obi wan they couldn't do anything about it. As for if they were around at the time of ANH, they could have been rotated back into regular service or sent to hunt down rumours of force adepts and force users.

Wade Trenor
12 July 2002, 05:54 AM
There are a lot of cool ideas here. :D

I should caution you that players may want to avoid the SD and make a break for it straight away. :raised:

Also, if the Rebellion caught wind of a Jedi being discovered, it's possible that they would mount a rescue. ;)

cdtatro
12 July 2002, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Wade Trenor
I should caution you that players may want to avoid the SD and make a break for it straight away. :raised:

Also, if the Rebellion caught wind of a Jedi being discovered, it's possible that they would mount a rescue. ;)
Well, the last session ended with the tractor beam locking onto their ship, so avoiding it doesn't seem to be an issue :D

Actually, they "know" they're on a Republic mission to an independant world. They don't have any clue what the "ISD" designation stands for in the ship name transmitted to them, or whose ships these are. They suspect the Separatists, but feel that diplomacy will get them out of this mess.

As for the Rebellion, I had 2 "branches" of the campaign set in my mind: there was of course a small band of Rebels investigating this world they were on, since the Emperor seemed to interested in it. If the PCs had met up with them first, the Rebels (after much confusion over them being Separatists, I'd wager) would have suggested taking the newly found Jedi to Alderaan, so Bail Organa could determine what to do with them :D I guess it could still happen, if they break from the tractor beam or escape to the planet surface, but it doesn't seem as likely at this point.

Chris