PDA

View Full Version : Who doesn't like the NJO? I sure don't!

Dalla Madine
11 July 2002, 11:35 AM
:( ! It burns my grits. How can Jaina almost turn evil? How can Anakin die? Why?How? These are some of my favorite characters. Grrr...I don't see the point in doing any of this. Does anyone else feel my pain?
Anyone? Can someone please explain,before I start pulling out all my hair! (which by the way would not be a pretty sight.):?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
11 July 2002, 11:46 AM
This sounds more like you have problems with the NJO storyline and not the NJOSB itself.

Now, I would have perfered a more topical layout of the book since it is kind of a pain to try and remember which book it was in that Yag'Dul was attacked in just to find Givin species stats; however, the chonological presentation has grown on me and will make a second SB detailing the last half of the series that much more continous.

Ardent
11 July 2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Dalla Madine
It burns my grits. How can Jaina almost turn evil? How can Anakin die? Why?How? These are some of my favorite characters. Grrr...I don't see the point in doing any of this. Does anyone else feel my pain?
Anyone? Can someone please explain,before I start pulling out all my hair! (which by the way would not be a pretty sight.

Ultimately, no matter which author is responsible for the presentation and development of the characters, they are property of George Lucas.

SPOILERS BELOW

He made the decision to kill Chewbacca at Sernpidal in Vector Prime because he knew it would piss people off (in other words, hook us like Howard Stern). While I was initially mortified that Lucas would kill off, quite possibly, the most popular non-human in the entire Star Wars saga, with a little perspective (time to think) I can understand his motivation, and respect the decision.

Killing Anakin was a little less shocking...ultimately, I had expected one of the Solo children to die, but had been of the opinion it would have been Jacen.

The six directions Jaina was pulled in the following chapters of the NJO saga annoyed the crap out of me, though. As soon as Jag Fel was introduced into the mix, anybody who knows the history of the Fels and the Solos should have little doubt what was going to happen. Dangling Kyp around was just insulting to an otherwise powerful persona (and our intelligence).

gstommylee
12 July 2002, 07:36 AM
well the whole storyline as of the books the sourcebook mentioned sucks. there are still more to come and that will probably change your mind about NJO

Dalla Madine
12 July 2002, 05:17 PM
If you're gonna kill some people why the most popular? Why? I mean does he want to see people ticked and turn away from Star Wars?:?
If he does make episodes seven,eight,and nine...who'd want to watch the evil take over and muder everyone,then kill all the favorites and have the goody-goodies turn evil only to be killed? I wouldn't. Iwould like to see some jedi survive. I for one like jedi.:raised:

gstommylee
12 July 2002, 06:26 PM
listen njosb is only on few books of the series there more to come

going by the last few sentence in the njosb the whole jedi the 2 groups jioned back up as one and there is gonna me the new jedi order gonna get going in the next few books so there don't lose hope

Ardent
12 July 2002, 06:46 PM
If you're gonna kill some people why the most popular? Why? I mean does he want to see people ticked and turn away from Star Wars?:?
If he does make episodes seven,eight,and nine...who'd want to watch the evil take over and muder everyone,then kill all the favorites and have the goody-goodies turn evil only to be killed? I wouldn't. Iwould like to see some jedi survive. I for one like jedi.:raised:

First of all, Lucas undoubtedly will not have the time left alive to produce Episodes VII, VIII and IX. Therefore the chances they will ever come about is unlikely (even if you consider that that all of the original actors are nearly the appropriate age now for them). So no worries on that front.

To carry that line of thought further, it is doubtful that it was ever George Lucas' intention to destroy the fanbase of Star Wars. If book sales are showing us anything, it's that SW:EU is just as popular as ever. ;)

If you're disappointed with the details of the storyline thus far, you're definitely not alone. I doubt that anyone is wholly satisfied with them. But that's just because they're changes and changes take time to get used to. If you're not willing to stick around for that, it's your decision to make. There are a lot of people who are disgusted with anything not stictly from-the-movies. They hate EU, they hate the RPG, they hate ewok dolls (actually, _I_ hate ewok dolls, does anyone like ewok dolls?). Obviously, Lucas cannot please everyone. What makes you think your decision to disapprove of the NJO is any different from any of the other peoples' decisions to disapprove of whatever marketing scheme Lucas employed with? Absolutely nothing. Sorry. :/

Jett Darkstar
13 July 2002, 12:41 PM
I have to admit...when I first read Vector Prime, I hated it, swore I wouldn't read another NJO book again, etc. So I didn't. After a while, I tired of rereading my SW novels so I picked up a copy of Dark Journey. I read it and declared it "so-so", wasn't too bad. So then I picked up Rebel Dream (by Aaron Allston; my favorite SW EU author next to Michael Stackpole) and loved it!! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/love.gif

While there are still several things about NJO that don't sit well with me, the series itself is starting to grow on me. I'm thinking about getting some of the previous books in the series just to get up to speed on what's happened. Even if I don't, I'm reading the NJO series from here on out and picking up the NJO Sourcebook too; Salvatore alienated me from all things NJO Star Wars but Allston made me a believer again. http://www.plauder-smilies.de/love.gif

*Smashmouth's cover of "I'm a Believer" by the Monkees plays loudly*

Nova Spice
13 July 2002, 09:07 PM
Well, if you've been on the Holonet for a while, you probably know my stance on the NJO. Personally I think it is one of the best things that has happened to Star Wars since Episode 4 came out in 1977. I own and have read every NJO novel thus far and I must say that it is the most dramatic story I've read in a long time. And believe me, I read many books that are not Star Wars.
I've heard this argument over and over again about the NJO being horrible and why did they kill Anakin or Chewie? Well, why did GL kill Obi-Wan Kenobi? Death happens to the characters we like. That's what makes it powerful and meaningful. If the people you dislike die, then you don't care. But, if someone you have grown to like dies, then it hits you like a ton of bricks! 8o That's the way I felt when I read Chewie's death in Vector Prime. But I didn't get angry at the author, I became enthralled with what would happen next!
Killing off big characters can be a good thing if used at the right time. And so far, I think its safe to say that the NJO has done a good job with portraying the intensity of the war and the Yuuzhan Vong.

I love the NJO.......and Jett, Rebel Dream is my second favorite in the NJO. Read Star by Star and I guarantee you, you'll say its one of the best Star Wars books out there; including Zahn's works. :p

Well, that's my two credits.....:D

Jett Darkstar
14 July 2002, 08:17 AM
Cool, Nova Spice. I'll check that one out. http://www.plauder-smilies.de/cool.gif

Talonne Hauk
14 July 2002, 08:32 AM
I'm with Nova Spice on this one. I love the NJO. Here's a short list why;

1) The classic characters are the movers and shakers of the storyline. I liked Timothy Zahn's novels, but one thing bothered me; the main characters never really uncovered the true dramatic aspects or did the real hero work, it was always Zahn's characters that came through in a pinch. I wasn't buying the books to read about them.

2) There are real repercussions to the actions of the Vong. Planets and beloved characters die. That adds an aura of unpredictability to the entire series.

3) There is no superweapon of the week, or a new Dark Jedi faction under every loose stone. The villain is defined, and the weaponry has been established.

4) Kevin J. Anderson has not, and will not, write a story in the NJO. That, to me, is reason enough to give the NJO a shot.

Zanus
14 July 2002, 12:23 PM
Talonne, what is wrong with Anderson? I considered him one of the three best pre-NJO SW authors (with Zahn and Stackpole being first and second IMO). Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are wrong on this. I could simply be remembering it differently since I read the Jedi Academy series right after reading Children of the Jedi and Crystal star (two of the worst SW books IMO, along with the New Rebellion). Although i do remember enjoying Dark Saber (despite the messed up idea of a hutt making a death star, I still liked Daala's role in the book).

Dalla Madine
14 July 2002, 06:11 PM
Hmm...I'm starting to see your points. All of you. I'm still not happy about what happens to the Solo kids,or to Chewie,but I'll live. I guess the death of certain characters is what makes up Star Wars. I'll check out more of the NJO books.You're right some of the books aren't that bad. I guess it just certain parts. But like I said I'm still not completely happy with it.:)

stoic_75
14 July 2002, 06:52 PM
NJO? Is that the one with the Borg in it?

:( ! It burns my grits. How can Jaina almost turn evil? How can Anakin die? Why?How? These are some of my favorite characters. Grrr...I don't see the point in doing any of this. Does anyone else feel my pain?
Anyone? Can someone please explain,before I start pulling out all my hair! (which by the way would not be a pretty sight.):?

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
15 July 2002, 01:22 AM
stoic_75: NJO? Is that the one with the Borg in it?

nonono :p don't confuse yer 'Trek with 'Wars :p

Well, I have to say I didn't like NJO at first either... And I went through all the same motions until I gave in and picked up the next books in order with a glimmer of hope things would change...

(ok, Mara Jade is my fav char, so I had my fair reasons to dislike NJO, and due note this was within the first 6 books...)

I'm seeing the NJO in a new light or so to speak. One thing about starwars is that each era has it's own air or drama that in itself provides for the overall atmosphere. NJO does not fail to deliver in that sense. As people above have noted - nobody's safe anymore, not even the Solos'. I'm finding myself strangely addicted to the effect of dreading each new page, not knowing if the last paragraph I read will have been the last for any particular character. There's suspense, definate suspence binding the serries together.

And of course, there's a vivid amount of classic tensions & interactions between the characters. Lots of outright raw emotion in there too.

Anakin's death was bitersweet because he went out with an elegant flame. However, it didn't hit me until I read the passage with Leia which crushed my heart and drew a tear.

Its quality like that which is rich and well appreciated. And thats the biggest merits NJO has to offer... Starwars at it's finest, which I think is what sets Starwars apart from the rest of the genre.

Le Machin
15 July 2002, 09:18 AM
I just fail to see what's so great about the Yuuzhan Vong destroying the galaxy. I mean, sure, their actions have repercussions and are really rocking the galaxy off its foundations...

...but aren't they a bit two-dimensional? From the two NJO books I've read before quitting on the EU altogether, these Vong are evil for the sake of being evil- a bunch of mysterious, never-before-seen aliens that are killing everything that doesn't worship pain, kinda like the genocidal Yevetha and perhaps even the Ssi-Ruuk before then.

The great thing about the original trilogy was the conflict, the shades of gray inside the blackness Darth Vader. The great thing about the prequels, to me, are the shades of gray inside the whiteness of Anakin Skywalker. The Yuuzhan Vong are just... uninteresting to me.

Of course, I never really cared for any EU characters outside of the X-wing novels and a select few in Zahn's trilogy, so that might make me a bit biased.

Tell me I'm wrong and I'll probably believe you, but you won't be getting me to read any more NJO for proof of my folly.

Nova Spice
15 July 2002, 09:34 AM
but aren't they a bit two-dimensional? From the two NJO books I've read before quitting on the EU altogether, these Vong are evil for the sake of being evil- a bunch of mysterious, never-before-seen aliens that are killing everything that doesn't worship pain, kinda like the genocidal Yevetha and perhaps even the Ssi-Ruuk before then.

Well that's why they are two-dimensional to you right there. You've only read two NJO books. I've read the entire series thus far an the Vong are incredibly complex far beyond the Sith, Yevetha, or Ssi-ruuk. Anyone who has actually read the books will tell ya that the Vong are anything but two-dimensional. Starting in book seven (Edge of Victory I: Conquest, we learn all about the caste system and the rituals and their gods.)

If you've only read a pair of books then there is no way you can understand how good the series is? By the way, which two books were they? :raised:

P.S. This isn't a flame, I'm just curious as to which books you've read? Its never good to bash a topic when you don't know much about it. ;)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
15 July 2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Le Machin
Of course, I never really cared for any EU characters outside of the X-wing novels and a select few in Zahn's trilogy, so that might make me a bit biased.

Tell me I'm wrong and I'll probably believe you, but you won't be getting me to read any more NJO for proof of my folly.

If you liked the X-Wing characters then by not reading the Enemy Lines Books you are missing out.

Now, in the time period of the New Republic Era the core characters assumed an almost 'superfriendian' role where in almost ever novel they would all jump in the Falcon and save the galaxy with nothing really bad happening to them during the ordeal.

As we saw with Chewie's death, the protective bubble surrounding the Solos and Skywalkers has popped. And was crystallized with the death of Anakin (who I hope can at least make a Force Ghost cameo before the series ends).

Before the NJO when you read a SW novel all you would think about was what trick is Luke, Han, Leia, etc. going to use to get out of this mess? Because they couldn't die. In the NJO books you never can tell what the next page will hold for them, let alone the next book. Those that have finished Rebel Stand remember the situation with Wedge.

As for the problems with the Yuuzhan Vong - they have become the most fleshed out SW villians (with Vader as the only exeception). The proof is that the average NJO reader could tell you more background information on the YV society, goals, and the like then anyone (save GL himself) could tell you about Palpatine.

I guess that the NJO can make the readers truely react to the story. They give the reader an experience that they can't forget. And some readers don't want or can't handle that. I know that after I read the part where Chewie died I couldn't put the book down. I didn't think that it could be true. So I stayed up until I finsihed it at around 5 AM. That was when I accepted Chewie was indeed dead.

Le Machin
15 July 2002, 10:44 AM
The two books are Onslaught and Ruin- both by Mike Stackpole. Nothing in either of those managed to hold my interest, and everything I've heard on message boards seems to indicate that the YV slaughtering of everything just continues, so... :(

You can give a baddie castes, gods, rituals, hell, give them frilly pink panties if you like. But if they don't stop for a minute and wonder if what they're doing is really right, make deals with the heroes for some personal profit (which doesn't include melting an innocent planet) or even reveal that they have some redeeming weaknesses and qualities, they're still an entire race of sado-masochists. :D

I can agree with FrobiWan's argument- the loss of the protective bubble was a good thing, as is the fact that one never knows what it next... but I wish it had been done earlier, and with the Republic occasionally, at least, sending some ass-kicking the YV's way. Life would have been a lot better if Thrawn hadn't died at Bilbringi- imagine if he hadn't, and stuck around for another five years to dole out some YV-style asswhooping on the Republic?

Bust still... I mean, losing Coruscant? The capital of the galaxy for 10,000 years? To aliens who weren't even in the damn neighborhood until, what, two years earlier? I might just read that one to see through what kind of idiocy that came about.

Peace, guys,

Jedi_Staailis
15 July 2002, 10:48 AM
SPOILERS AHEAD

The death of main characters is frustrating, but at the same time it's necessary. I think Chewie was a good choice, though I still believe Anakin had the most potential for character development of any character in the series. The reason why they picked Anakin to die still eludes me. However, their deaths have had a powerful (and positive) effect on the series. The tone is undeniably darker. Darker than what we see in the movies, in my opinion. NJO is a distinctive setting. It's Star Wars, but it's different from everything else.

The series is not without flaws, I found the first arc of the story, all the way until Star By Star, very slow. It just didn't grip me like the rest of it has. Until the introduction of Czulkang Lah, I could barely sit through any interaction between the Vong themselves. I wasn't interested. However, the incredibly tedious (IMO) introduction serves its purpose well. The last few books have been very impressive.

The true sign that the series is working is that I leave each book wishing more time could have been devoted to the minor characters, the intricacies of the plot, or some other element. The books are filled to the brim with such details, but I'm always wishing for more. The setting has a huge scope and rich story, and in that the authors have managed to capture what makes the movies so popular.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
15 July 2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Le Machin
The two books are Onslaught and Ruin- both by Mike Stackpole. Nothing in either of those managed to hold my interest, and everything I've heard on message boards seems to indicate that the YV slaughtering of everything just continues, so... :(

Three words: Operation Emperor's Hammer.

Dalla Madine
15 July 2002, 05:22 PM
My thoughts have changed a little on the NJO. I think that it is pretty cool,but I don't like the Yuuzen Vong(sp?) I do think that I will keep reading the books but my question is how many are there?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
15 July 2002, 06:04 PM
An entire civilization.

dgswensen
15 July 2002, 07:30 PM
I dislike NJO because I feel the Vong are a poorly reasoned villain and a poorly conceived race. They're completely biologiocal, and use bio-technology, yet the Force, which really works best on biological things, doesn't affect them, "just because."

I've heard the argument that the Vong are not from this Galaxy, and so the Force, which "binds the Galaxy together," doesn't work, again, JUST BECAUSE. I think that's pretty shoddy reasoning, even for science fiction as lightweight as Star Wars. I don't really buy it.

It really seems to me like the Vong were conceived while smoking reefer. "Hey man, what if these guys came, and they used like, coral and stuff for their spaceships, and were, like, immune to the Force? Far out..." And then they just wrote it up, leaving the how and the why to be figured out by somebody else -- if at all.

But then, they're not any more silly than the ysalamiri, which have no reason to exist other than to overcome the storytelling difficulties presented by the Force and the Jedi.

And personally, I think killing Chewie was the easy way out. I think they just looked over the roster of characters and picked the most disposable of them. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Chewie, but he's pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole as far as storytelling potential goes. If they really wanted to shake things up and take a risk, they should have bumped Han off and made Chewie (and Leia) the ones with the grudges. :)

Le Machin
15 July 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen
I dislike NJO because I feel the Vong are a poorly reasoned villain and a poorly conceived race. They're completely biologiocal, and use bio-technology, yet the Force, which really works best on biological things, doesn't affect them, "just because."

I've heard the argument that the Vong are not from this Galaxy, and so the Force, which "binds the Galaxy together," doesn't work, again, JUST BECAUSE. I think that's pretty shoddy reasoning, even for science fiction as lightweight as Star Wars. I don't really buy it.

:D There's what I'm talkin' about. You da man, dgswensen.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
15 July 2002, 08:45 PM
Being an EU fan just keeps getting harder and harder. With AotC came a lot of 'problems' with the EU. Most were esaily reworded or modified to fit with the new perception of the Star Wars galaxy. My honest feeling is that you can have the worst idea for a species but if the author knows what he/she/it is doing then they can come to life in the reader's mind. I'll agree with what Jedi_Staalis said about the first part of the series - it wasn't that good. Don't get me wrong, it was better than the Crystal Star any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Here is the series broken down in my mind the number before is my rating out of 5 (0 being the Crystal Star and 5 being the Last Command):

2 Vector Prime - Intro
1 Dark Tide (2) - Warrior background
3 Agents of Chaos (2) - Priest Background and Han's prob
2 Balance Point - Shows the appeasment of the Invaders by the Senate
4 Edge of Victory (2) - Shaper & Shamed One Background, Anakin's Story
5 Star by Star - Best non-Zahn SW book, shows the Jedi taking the offensive and the NR's death.
3 Dark Journey - Jaina's Story, YV Gods Background
4 Enemy Lines (2) - the Rebellion is alive and kicking Yuuzhan Vong #$%
Traitor - Jacen's Story, and hopefully more Vergere information

Don't get me wrong, I would never think less of a SW fan if they didn't read a book or two; but the 2nd part of this series has some of the best writting of all of the SW books. I just hate to see all of the NJO dislikers miss out.

Trigger
15 July 2002, 09:53 PM
To those who do not like the NJO, there is nothing that can be said that can change your mind. To each their own and so forth. But personally, I LOVE the NJO. The very fact that the reader is realizing that the Jedi are NOT gods and CAN die is what I've been waiting to see for a while. During the New Republic Era, we saw the Jedi rise and become if nothing else, a mere shadow of what it once was. And just when Luke is about to try to fix that, the Jedi face their greatest challenge since Darth Vader and The Emporer "purged" the galaxy. The Yuuzhan Vong are the best villians to date because they break the rules. Hell........THEY MAKE THEIR OWN FREAKIN RULES!! And as to why they do it...........Their Gods told them they could. In human history, it has happened before. It was called the Crusades. That is what this is to the Vong, a Crusade.

Seghast
15 July 2002, 10:02 PM
The NJO series is great, though I do have a few issues. The reasons for why the Vong don't appear in the Force is the biggest issue I have with it; the arguement about them being from another galaxy is weak unless we have some specific reason of WHY. And yes, I'd rather Jacen have died than Anakin, but hey...

The Yuuzhan Vong are NOT two dimensional as a few posts said; I think they are some of the most developed bady guys ever. Their reason for trying to take over the galaxy is simple; all you need do is open a history book and you'll find stories of us humans doing the same thing. Some 200 plus years ago, Americans thought it was their god-given right to expand westward, screwing Indians out of their land left and right. Manifest Destiny. The Vong are doing much the same thing, though with significantly more violence. I think this gives them an element of humanity, which they'd deny vehemently, of course.

Vegere... I'm wanting to know what the story is with her. I know she was a Jedi before the Emperor took over, and she went missing on a planet, captured by some unknown aliens, who must of course be the Vong. I want to know why she's helping the Vong so much... True, she helped the Republic a little, but she seems to be primarily with the Vong. Why? What would a former Jedi side with the Vong? There's something to hook interest for you NJO-bashers. And for anyone wishing to argue about my story of Vegere being a former Jedi, go back and read Rogue Planet.

Some Vong have come to think that the Jedi are their saviors, there to redeem them. It'd be nice to see some of these Vong (most of which seem to be the Shamed Ones) jump ship and join the Republic, even picking up blasters to help fight off their own kind... But that's probably just wishful thinking.

Nova Spice
16 July 2002, 08:31 AM
Some 200 plus years ago, Americans thought it was their god-given right to expand westward, screwing Indians out of their land left and right. Manifest Destiny. The Vong are doing much the same thing, though with significantly more violence. I think this gives them an element of humanity, which they'd deny vehemently, of course.

Hehe, you really DONT want to start this in this forum because people want to discuss the NJO.......this is not the place for the Manifest Destiny discussion so leave this out of the picture for this forum or take it to Chaos and Miscellanea. ;)

But what you said about the Vong not being two-dimensional is right on! You can take every enemy that has ever appeared in Star Wars and they will not be as fleshed out as the Vong! Their motives are deeper than anyone realizes and their technology is absolutely cool. Besides with many books yet to come, the Vong are only going to become more in-depth! ;)

P.S. Seghast that wasn't a flame, just a friendly reminder that this forum isnt the right place to talk about that. ;) There is no need to get off-topic when we already have such an interesting discussion going on already. B)

Seghast
16 July 2002, 09:55 AM
I was using Manifest Destiny to demonstrate what the Vong are doing to the galaxy. Someone was whining that they didn't seem to have any reason for what they were doing, and I was using that to point out 1) they do, kinda, and 2) as history proves, no one ever really *needs* a reason for mindless violence.

scourgicus
16 July 2002, 04:02 PM
I was thoroughly disgusted by the death of Anakin Skywalker. I feel it was horrible storytelling. As I've said many times before, characters (and planets for that matter), are expensive - one does not simply throw them into the fire for the sheer glee of it.

I have since decided to stop reading the NJO books. Life is too short to be upset over them.

evan hansen
17 July 2002, 09:03 AM
If you're disgusted by his death, then the authors have done their jobs well. I was irritated too. I liked Anakin. But that's part of why he had to die.

If we're to believe that the Vong are truly that menacing, we need them to take something from the reader that the reader has an emotional attachment: enter Chewie and Anakin.

Anakin was a newer character, yes. But he'd developed a TON through a few books devoted almost entirely to him and his adventures as well as his looking to Luke as a role model.

It's like killing PCs in a game -- they *have* to believe it's going to happen. They have to know that its possible. They have to understand the fragility of their "lives" and the storyline.

Smokem_Alien
17 July 2002, 10:05 AM
I am going to answer some of the differnt things I have heard asked so far in this discussion.

#1 Why did they kill anakin? I don't know how reliable this is but according to theforce.net the decision to kill Anakin Solo came from lucas film because his name was to close to that of Anakin Skywalker and with the prequal movies out they didn't want any confusion between the two. It is my opinion that Ben Skywalker was created as a replacement for Anakin. If my guess is right he will develope much the same way character wise.

#2 Why are the Vong not apparent in the force? Mainly to make it that much harder for the good guys to when. Not good enough for ya? Well hear is a semi scientific answer. The vong evolved in a galaxy much different than that of the famedheros of Star Wars. One of the main differences is that microscopic organisms developed in the SW galaxy allowing beings and creatures to have a connection to the energy field known as the force. The Vong's galaxy, on the other hand, never developed these micro scopic organisms, thus never allowing them any connection to the force.

#3 Are the vong Sado Masacist (sp?) I don't think so but this is strictly my opinion. Some have said that the vong never wonder if what they do are right. But that is not true. Many of them have thought about how maybe they where wrong. Vua Rapung for one. As well as many of the shamed caste. And most recently a priest named Harra (I think thats his name) Has wondered if they are truly doing the God's will. Now you may ask why hasn't this changed their action and/or leadership? Well they are a society driven and controlled by religon much like 14th century Europe. Any one who says anything contrary to the priest and the established doctrines is called a Heritic and put to death. The cathlics had people killed during the dark ages for believing the earth was round instead of flat. Similarily, think of all the races and cultures thank where all but extinguished when Europeians came over to the americas. I say they are just ignorant and mislead.

Seghast
17 July 2002, 10:17 AM
Pardon the following language, but I have a quote from a book that I think applies to the Vong. It was used in Predator: Concrete Jungle.

"Maybe they're just naturally sadistic sons of ืืืืืes."

There we go; the Yuuzhan Vong in a nutshell. And I think that makes them a very interesting enemy.