PDA

View Full Version : ESB Infinities Comic

cdtatro
12 July 2002, 07:12 AM
Spoilers ahoy for the new comic series that came out this week!

What is this crap!!!!????!!! I liked the ANH Infinities series but this one right out the gate violates my big rule of Alternate Histories: things should not change just for the sake of it, but only if the change hinges upon your "altered event."

So, Luke dies because Han's tauntaun died a few minutes early so it took Han longer to get there (plus the seconf Wampa who messed him up pretty bad - why do both of these things - one would have sufficed!). Why then does the Rebellion sit around on their thumbs after Han finds the Probe Droid? Why doesn't the evacuation begin until the Imperials are actually on the planet? This makes no sense. Sure, they were mourning the loss of a friend, but when the Empire has just figured out where you are you mourn another day!

And TIE fighters on Hoth? Why why why! This is an unnecessary addition.

And with Luke being dead, why cut out the entire asteroid field sequence? I can understand cutting for space in the comic, but then just condense the events, don't remove some of them entirely.

And now finally we have the arrival at Bespin. Without Vader there. Again, this makes little sense. Sure, with Luke dead, Vader has less interest in pursuing the Falcon to use Han and Leia as bait, but apparently he has enough interest that he still gathers the bounty hunters and sets them on Han's trail, but then doesn't go to Bespin with Fett. Surely, Vader would have a keen personal interest in capturing Leia, at the very least.

This series is off to a very rocky start. I can only hope it improves from here.

Chris

Talonne Hauk
12 July 2002, 12:04 PM
I wasn't too thrilled with the first Infinities series, either. Little niggling plot points bothered me, like;

1) If Luke was on Dagobah for a matter of years, why hasn't Artoo's batteries run out?

2) Where does Luke get the material for the new outfit? "Help you I will. Welcome to Yoda's fine clothes!"

3) Wouldn't slamming a Death Star into a planet be an inherently evil act? Something against a Jedi's ethics and code?

4) If Leia become the Empire's figurehead, why was she the Rebellion's leader at the end? Wouldn't they, I don't know, NOT trust her?

So I'm not really expecting a real work of art with this new series. More like a mismangled cut and paste from the movies.

Rigil Kent
12 July 2002, 12:13 PM
Pity they didn't simply use Moridin's Darth Gadrel saga, eh? :D

REG
12 July 2002, 07:29 PM
Well, it's about time the Emperor finally activate Imperial sleeper agent Han Solo. All Han has to do is get Leia to fall in love with him and in bed where he switch place with Palpatine...

Oh, yeah. Too bad Han's tauntaun died. * wink wink ;) *

I wonder if they're going to do a Wuxia-style Star Wars with Jet Li and Zhan Ziyi as Luke and Leia, Jackie Chan as Han Solo, and Chow Yun Fat as Darth Vader. :p

cdtatro
15 July 2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by REG
Well, it's about time the Emperor finally activate Imperial sleeper agent Han Solo. All Han has to do is get Leia to fall in love with him and in bed where he switch place with Palpatine...

Oh, this is evil. Delightfully evil. Oh yes, I'm swiping this one...

Sadly, that's not where the comic is going at all. I'm certian that Han will go to Dagobah under the impression he's supposed to train to become a Jedi (Luke's dying wish to him), but Leia will end up becoming the Jedi instead.

I wonder if they're going to do a Wuxia-style Star Wars with Jet Li and Zhan Ziyi as Luke and Leia, Jackie Chan as Han Solo, and Chow Yun Fat as Darth Vader. :p
That would be too sweet for words. For now, I'll just have to content myself with the SW Manga comics.

Chris

REG
15 July 2002, 02:28 PM
Han? Training to be a Jedi?

Excuse me while I burst into a loud, hysterical laughter.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Artoo have a better chance of becoming a Jedi than Han. LOL.

dgswensen
15 July 2002, 02:58 PM
I thought the whole point of Infinities was to see characters do things you wouldn't normally see them do.

If I want to see Han acting like Han in a predictable fashion, I can just watch the movies again.

Lord Kjeran
15 July 2002, 08:54 PM
Greetings!

Oh, I don't know. Back when I was a kid and ESB was fresh, my friends and I all said and thought the same thing when Yoda said "There is another Skywalker": HAN!!!!

[Well, it made sense when we were 10!]

Tony

REG
15 July 2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen

I thought the whole point of Infinities was to see characters do things you wouldn't normally see them do.

If I want to see Han acting like Han in a predictable fashion, I can just watch the movies again.
Of course, that's why I want to see Han act as an Imperial sleeper agent and assassin.

Of course it would shock me if Darth Vaders says "Chewie, I am your father!"

"AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!"

:D

cdtatro
16 July 2002, 05:00 AM
Well, I don't think Han is going to become a Jedi. He just thinks he is. Luke, with his dying breath in the snowfields of Hoth, says "go to Dagobah...find Yoda...become a Jedi!" Rather than interpreting it as the delerious ramblings of a dying man, Han believes it is Luke's dying wish.

As I said, I'm pretty sure when he gets there Yoda will say "You? A Jedi I cannot make you. But her...yes, yes, the Force is strong in her."

I'm wondering what the main "hook" of the RotJ Infinities comic will be. I rather like the example given in the d6 SW rules, that if Han hadn't botched his Sneak roll and snapped a twig, the speeder bike chase might never have happened, the group would have never met the Ewoks, they wouldn't have known about the back way to the generator, and the rebels would have been mowed down attacking the shield generator. That, or the always loved "Luke joins/turns Vader, kills Emperor, they rule together in peace/tyranny."

Chris

REG
16 July 2002, 03:48 PM
Actually, I was hoping that Leia would become Lady Vader and conquer Endor with her Noghri army.

Still, I would like Chewie to be the Jedi, assuming he's not going to rip Yoda's arms in frustration over the training. Which begs the question: does Yoda's kind regenerate like lizards when you off their tails?