PDA

View Full Version : Thread Highjackers

Talonne Hauk
14 July 2002, 06:38 AM
Okay, I'm grumpy because I just woke up, and I haven't had any coffee, but I wanted to share something that really gets my goat. Threads that start off with a great topic, people start answering, and then someone chimes in with a tangential point, and that gets followed up, at the expense of the original thread.
People, please try to keep your posts in relation to the thread topic. If you think something is worthy of following up, make a new thread or PM the person who went off on a tangent. Or at least tie in your post to the topic at hand.
Okay. The soapbox is yours. (Steps down, dusts it off.)

DirkGreystoke
14 July 2002, 10:09 AM
Talonne, I could not agree with you more.

Superdog
15 July 2002, 09:08 AM
I've encountered this problem before when I see a great title for a thread, so I go and click on it, and read the whole thing. But then I don't reply because everyone is totally off-topic by then and I'd look like an idiot.:(

Reverend Strone
15 July 2002, 05:15 PM
Well, I've been guilty of this myself on occassion, so I sure hope I haven't caused any folks here to feel this way. My sincerest of apologies if so.

Conversations and discussions have a tendency to head off in unpredictable directions sometimes. Incredibly frustrating if you're trying to get an answer to something and it gets hyjacked. Half a dozen posts in, no one seems to be able to remember what the original question was. Very annoying.

Anyways, I don't think there's a problem with adding tangent-provoking comments, as long as the poster retains some level of responsibility about it. When I've accidentally spun a conversation offtopic with a comment, I try to steer it back to the original thread again- sometimes bluntly, ie: 'okay, aside over, let's get back on topic', or something like that.

Another solution is to offer to start a new thread if the tangent discussion is taking off.

So there are ways to carry on off topic discussions without thread-hyjacking. It need not be a problem. It just takes maturity and a certain respect for the original thread starter to keep things efficient, considerate and not put noses out of joint.

dgswensen
15 July 2002, 07:31 PM
So, who here likes pudding?

:D

reliant
16 July 2002, 05:26 AM
So, who here likes pudding?

Pudding is great!

However, pudding is not as good as sticking to the topic in a thread...:D

I agree that the whole "thread hijacking" thing gets irrititating. I agree with superdog that it does pretty much suck when you go into a thread expecting to read about whatever the title is and then find it has turned into something else entirely.

On the flipside, sometimes some really good discussions have come out of completely unrelated threads...

Talonne Hauk
16 July 2002, 07:47 AM
I agree, plenty of good topics have spun off from many thread discussions. But it would be better if that topic found a life of its own in its own thread, instead of taking over a perfectly good thread.

And dgswensen, "Mmmmm. Chocolate." (Homer Simpson voice.)

dgswensen
16 July 2002, 07:53 AM
I agree that hijacking is an irritant. However, the users here are generally so polite that even the slightest nudging by anyone (especially the thread starter) will probably get things back on track.

Not a perfect solution, of course, but a solution nonetheless.

And, cheap jokes aside, I myself will watch out for this in the future. :)

Dark72Jedi
17 July 2002, 04:24 PM
Thread hijacking doesn't bother me too much as long as it is actually something viable and something the thread could have led to (I am guilty of this). But, the problem is that when someone is trying to make a point and someone takes the thread and begins to argue for the sake of arguing...or just doesn't have any people skills in the first place and comes off as kind of harsh. Did I just hijack again?

Mwnci
11 August 2002, 04:20 AM
Ok Folx I put my hands up and surrender. I freely admit that on reflection i am guilty as charged with Thread HiJacking, although in fairness i agree with the comments that good things can come out of it. I guess one of the parts i am particulary guilty of is when someone asks for a piece of info and i know something similar. i post a reply and heck sometimes not to the question that was asked. You all have my sincerest apologies. I do think that threads developing is a good thing though and perfectly naural, as long as topics dont go ridiciously off topic.

Moose
11 August 2002, 02:36 PM
Yea the hijacking can get tiresome. I think that if you have an issue that you want to raise in a thread that spawned the idea, but its not relevant that you should post your thoughts and then say "if you would like to continue this conversation join me at my new thread discussing it" thus avoiding the hijacking, but still be able to advertise your thoughts and new thread..that way everyone is happy...maybe:D

Nova Spice
12 August 2002, 04:49 PM
Out of all my posts on the board, I'm sure I've hijacked a few threads! :D My personality is one that, if someone says something I don't agree with, I let them know it! So naturally, if someone says something that kinda gets under my skin, I can't help but reply. Some say its a character flaw, others say its a good character trait.

But again, I'm also one of those that doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or get folks very angry with me, so I'm quick to feel guilty and apologize.

Hijacking is one of those things that we all have to deal with. The best way to solve the problem IMO is to just be conscientous about it and lead by example. Others will surely take your cue and realize that hijacking is usually not a great idea. :)

Anyway, that's all. Nice thread idea Talonne! :p