PDA

View Full Version : GM Convention 3: Attack of the Jedi

Matt Richard
14 July 2002, 09:54 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the HoloNet...

GM CONVENTION 3 is here!!! Yep, its about that time again, so all gms listen up, reply a lot, and we all have fun here.

This conventions topic is:

How do you best handle Jedi and/or what was your worst (or best, but probably worst) experience with a player Jedi, and how did you fix the problem?

Paul Klein
14 July 2002, 11:32 PM
One of the main problems I've run into is that Jedi characters tend to dominate the game. Both combat-wise, and roleplay-wise.

I've been racking my brain trying to decide how best to handle the Jedi for my next campaign to let the other non-Jedi characters just as much time in the spotlight.

LiquidSaber
15 July 2002, 03:54 AM
agree with Paul, Jedi tend to dominate quite abit in games being able to handle combat well and able to weather negotiations with a wave of the hand. *sigh* much to my dismay...

So how do we handle this muscle bound, charismatic little light wielding dweebs?

Well it depends, if they are the minority in the group (as they should be otherwise you should consider playing a Jedi-based campaign) and you want the rest of the group to not stand in his/her respective shadow, as a GM try to igore the Jedi. That's right, ignore 'em. They'll have fun on their own playing with all their fancy force powers.

As a GM I know how awfully tempting it is for me to just whip at the 'Ol dark jedi or ancient/buried sith lord or two, just cuz they are sooo freaking neat. Yet this does nothing but draw focus onto the force-wielding PCs and hence away from the other PCs. So keep with the "ordinary" plots and NPCs with only the barest hint/dash of Jedi trimmings.

Phew,well, as for handling an entire squad of force-users...goodluck, you're going to need it.

Jedi need to follow the Code, if they don't they ain't Jedi and consequences must result (no more levels of Guardian for you!). Be strict or you deserve all the head aches you receive.

As for other force-users there are built-in penalties for using excessive power (DS), and having their own way, trampling others in the process, inevitably has real consequences in the galaxy.

Here's an idea I just thought of:

Any PC who wishes to play a Jedi character must be able to recite the Jedi Code more or less verbatim before they are allowed to play Jedi...

A little strict, but impressive if all the Jedi in the group could recite it....:p

Lord Diggori
15 July 2002, 10:03 AM
I like Liquid Saber's idea about the recitation, it may keep players focused.

The best way to keep Jedi in line, IMHO, is to strictly observe the Code and the game rules regarding their powers.

They have advantages in combat but the new way they burn Vitality keeps them well balanced. In addition I don't let Jedi kill without DSPs, unless they'll die if they don't.

Using Affect Mind to solve negotiations is forbidden I think. Qui-gon told Obi-wan this before Amidala met with the Gungans. You could interpret his passage, "...and we can't use our powers to help her." another way but it can't be Jedi-ish to force decisions on those with a legitimate gripe. The Neimoidans may believe Jedi do this but they aren't experts on Jedi philosophy by far.

Tossk
21 July 2002, 03:40 PM
for reference, LiquidSaber, what words did you make them recite, exactly?

LiquidSaber
22 July 2002, 12:04 PM
Well all that I've been able to find really is what's published in the RCR:

The Jedi Code

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

It's pretty good not too long and shoudn't be too hard for a player to memorize, yet it will take them an effort. I like. :p

Nova Spice
22 July 2002, 01:59 PM
I think the hardest aspect of GMing Jedi PCs is keeping the Light Side Jedi bound to the Jedi Code. The PCs tend to forget that they live under rules and abide to a higher authority than just themselves. Reinforcing this is probably the most difficult part of handling Jedi. I like LiquidSaber's method of handling this and hope to implement this idea in my next campaign.

By the way, anyone out there have problems handling "grey" Jedi? :p :D

Tossk
22 July 2002, 05:23 PM
I'ver got a groop playing "grey" Jedi, and just as long as you can keep them hating Jedi and darksiders, you should be fine.