PDA

View Full Version : The Best and Worst Books of the NJO

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
16 July 2002, 08:19 AM
Vote for your favorite and post the title of the book you least enjoyed.

I voted for Star by Star as my Favorite NJO book and have the Dark Tide books down for the worst of the series.

frozenjedi
16 July 2002, 10:44 AM
Having just finished the Edge of Victory duology , I can say that i have really enjoyed all of the NJO books so far , with id say Vector Prime as my least favorite ... I feel R.A Salvatore just had alot to cover in the book , and he did a really good job for what he had to do , but the book just lagged in spots.

thats my two credits

EmprorsHand03
16 July 2002, 11:14 AM
I voted for Star by Star as my favorite book. By far, I won't say its the worst but it didn't quite hold my attention was the Agents of Chaos duology. Though I am impressed with James Luceno's most recent prequel book.

jordanian
16 July 2002, 01:55 PM
I voted for the Edge of Victory duology becuase it really got me interested in series after reading my least favorite book, Balance Point. That book just seemed like an unneccessary continuation of already used ideas. I really liked the Dark Tide duology, though.. I mean seeing Gavin as the leader of Rogue squadron was really cool, and i missed Corran.

obi-wan joshobi
16 July 2002, 02:47 PM
I voted for Star by Star as my favorite and the Agents of Caos dualogy as my worst favorite. I didn't really like balance point as well

Nova Spice
16 July 2002, 03:08 PM
I voted Star by Star (hands down) as the best of the NJO! I've enjoyed every book immensely but if I had to choose a least favorite it would have to be Dark Journey. I am not a big fan of Elaine Cunningham's writing style for some reason.
I thought Dark Tide was kicking mainly because of Corran and the Rogues and besides, its the only time the Imperials actually take action or for that part are even mentioned thus far!
If I had to go for a close tie with SbS, it'd be Enemy Lines Duology. There was just something about Wedge being the one responsible for rekindling the Rebel Alliance flame that brought John Williams soundtrack into my mind. ;) :p :D

Moff Neomen
17 July 2002, 05:24 AM
I rather liked Balance Point. It was the first one I'd read (though I knew the general idea of NJO), and I thought it was a great summation of the atmosphere and situation of the NJO. Least favorite I have no idea...I haven't actually read any others :P.

strensk
1 August 2002, 07:21 AM
I would have to say the Agents of Chaos are my least favorite, however they are still all pretty good.

Rouge8
1 August 2002, 07:10 PM
Dark Tide rules! Vector prime is the worst cause of poor Chewie

Dashdar
3 August 2002, 07:34 PM
Well, this may be due to teh fact that I have only read Vector Prime, or maybe because I am not a big fan of the force, or maybe both. I have not really enjoyed my NJO reading so far. Sure, I liked the parts where Han and Chewie were bumbuling their way around asterids and some of the fighting scenes but I am really turned of by the Vong in general.

They just seem to over the top forwhat I would have thought to have seen in SW. In fact they sounded more like something out of ST. A combination of the Borg and species 8472.

Maybe I have just not read enough, but did any of you ever get this feeling?

madpoet
3 August 2002, 07:39 PM
I had to go with Dark Tide, because Corran is the man!

Talonne Hauk
3 August 2002, 08:22 PM
I voted for Traitor as the best, although Star By Star is a close second. Traitor completely changed the way I looked at the Force, and that's why it's the top, but Star By Star had major ramifications throughout. My least favorites were the Agents of Chaos duology. I felt Han Solo was done an injustice and wouldn't have fallen so completely apart, or at least not in the way that he did. I also didn't appreciate Dark Journey very much, either. Some of it felt very rushed. Overall though, I think the New Jedi Order is awesome.

Codym
1 September 2002, 05:13 PM
Balance Point, Hero's Trial and Vector Prime are my favs (in that order.)

Rebel Dream (Lord Nyax ... Ugh!) Jedi Eclipse, Dark Journey and the Edge of Victory duology I really didn't like (In that order.)

Nova Spice
1 September 2002, 07:06 PM
Rebel Dream (Lord Nyax ... Ugh!) Jedi Eclipse, Dark Journey and the Edge of Victory duology I really didn't like (In that order.)

I think Nyax was in Rebel Stand, not Rebel Dream. However, I did feel that Nyax was a short-lived threat whose purpose has yet to be revealed. I suppose its too early to say that Nyax was incomplete, but as of now, yeah I'd say he was hastily written. Maybe that will change with the upcoming novels? :D

I've already stated that Star by Star was my favorite, but that was before Traitor came out. Now its a close tie between the two of them. Although personally, I found Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand to be at least bright spots in the generally dark NJO series, so those two are definitely up there.

Who knows, by the time Destiny's Way comes out, I may have a new favorite NJO novel! :D :p

Dan Kyrinov
1 September 2002, 07:46 PM
I cannot vote right now because every time I try, it says 'action can't be done because session is invalid.' So I will list here instead.

My favorite was Dark Journey, especially when you include the Gamer 8 excerpt and read it with the rest of the book. I liked the book's tone, style, prose, and storyline. Characters like Sinsor Khal and Ta'a Chume provide a reminder that our galaxy has a lot of dark spots even without the Vong or the Sith. But that book wasn't hopeless, I rather liked Kyp's unlikely redemption of Jaina. Other favs of mine are Enemy Lines, Traitor, and Star by Star.

I have no least favorite. The usual suspects for least favorite, Balance Point and Dark Journey, are in my eye exceptional. A book is only bad if you can't root for all the characters. Danni, Miko, the Ryn, the Bimmiel colonists, refugees, Jedi, I can root for them all and be thinking, 'Let these guys pull it off, let them escape! win! survive!' That's why I like the series so much. So, no downer books in my opinion.

Codym
1 September 2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I think Nyax was in Rebel Stand, not Rebel Dream.

Thanks for the correction. Bad memory. I am not a big fan of Allston, but Lord Nyax just made me cringe. He's all ready got my vote for worst character concept in Star Wars, and he brought an entire novel down to its knees. Never a good thing. :raised:

I must admit, the writers of the NJO have been top notch, I just wish they could write something a little more Star Wars like. And the Vong are not Star Wars like.

OrderSponge
1 September 2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Codym

...Lord Nyax just made me cringe. He's all ready got my vote for worst character concept in Star Wars....

Wow.
I honestly didn't much like Nyax either, but I keep feeling there was something more, since that was distinctly an un-Allston style, what with the weird and all.

...the Vong are not Star Wars like.

You know, I used to think the same thing, but I think that they really rescued the series from the repetitiveness and just general not epic-ness that was beginning to pollute it. And as much as I miss Chewie, it is an interesting feeling of suspense not knowing for sure that they wouldn't kill him/her/it/them

Anyway, Enemy Lines and Star by Star are my faves, with Dark Journey coming in a close last. So far the entire series is of the highest quality, and I am fairly impressed with it.

LFoz
2 September 2002, 07:05 AM
I would have to agree with my peers in saying that Star by Star is simply awesome. I could not put the book down when I first read it. Although the whole Voxyn story with the young Jedi was interesting I felt that sheer detail in the Fall of Coruscant and Borsk's final act was very redeeming considering what a useless and annoying tit he was in the previous novels.

The worst book (and its not on the list) is the horribly awful "Rebel Stand" by Aaron Alliston. This book is a piece of crap, especially compared to his half decent "Rebel Dream" book that came out before it. All of the plots in this book are garbage. Having Luke, Mara and the Wraiths on Coruscant was a waste of time, plus I disliked their escape simply because it was too easy and they had stated previously that escape from Coruscant was dammed near impossible. The super Dark Jedi with lightsabers built into his armor is lame to say the least (wtf is this anime?). Han and Leia's adventures were pointless, especially since they were supposed to be setting up a new Rebellion against the New Republic. But the worst of all was how lame Wedge's escape was, oh he just happens to find an Xwing without an R2 until takes out a squardron of enemy fighters and survives long enough for people to rescue him, hey no problem. It's a pretty poorly done book to say the least.

Edit: I thought I should give a nod towards "Traitor" as the book that turned itself around. When I first started to read it, it was a fairly poor book, but over time it built up speed and became an excellent read, but then again "everything I tell you is a lie" :)

LFoz

Karam Nor
2 September 2002, 05:25 PM
I liked Star by Star best for story, but in terms of writing, I like Rebel Dream. I'm starting Rebel Stand as soon as I pick it up at the bookstore!

Star by Star did great things for the storyline, and had such an incredible climax.

I'll echo the previous post in saying their haven't been any bad books for me. In light of some of the dung that Bantam put out, the NJO has been a consistently good read.

QWERTY
12 September 2002, 03:43 AM
Traitor is the best book i have read followed by the book that was anakin rescuing tahira (enemy1 i think) because both books eveolved the charcters and get you involved more.

but i hated Balance point i just didnt like it at all.

Qwerty

Marusame
12 September 2002, 08:22 AM
I liked Traitor the best followed closely by the "Rebel" duology.

I LOVE Allstons writing. Lord Nyax allowed Tahiri to do something. She is one of my favorite NJO characters.

Jedi Manatee
13 September 2002, 10:24 AM
Worst book is clearly Dark Journey, unless you include the section from Gamer #8. If you include that, then the title falls to the Edge of Victory books. There is some reading time that I will never get back.

Traitor:

Best.
Star Wars.
Book.
Ever.

I do not know if I agree with the change in how to perceive the force, but Vergere could be telling Jacen exactly what he needs to hear to become the hero that we all know he will be.

Star by Star is a close second.

Darth Bile
14 September 2002, 07:45 AM
I vote for the whole friggin series, can't stand the yuzzhon vong and the way they killed off major pc's