PDA

View Full Version : Dengar and his "accident"

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
16 July 2002, 08:25 AM
Does anybody else think the story of Dengar's swoop crash is a little iffy? What I mean, is that in one place it says Han came down on top of him. I thought, Han had kinda loose morals back then, and it might not have been on purpose. But in almost every other place it says that Dengar came up under Han and did it to himself. First of all, I'm sure swoops produce tremendous amounts of noise and heat, and it would be easy to tell if one was a few feet above your head. Secondly, he was one of the best swoopers in the galazy back then, and I would hope he had enough talent to not practically kill himself by running into someone else. Thoughts?

Puck
16 July 2002, 08:16 PM
Personally, I find the whole "1 degree of separation" thing to be a bit iffy wherever it shows up.

Oh look! Here's a funky looking bounty hunter with bandages around his head - I know, wouldn't it be cool if we made Han Solo responsible for his injuries!? Yeah! COOL!

Oh look! A funky bounty hunter in cool armour that catches Han Solo - I know, let's make it that Han escaped from this same bounty hunter seemingly countless times in the past. Yeah! COOL!

And, a non-Star Wars one - from the Burton Batman movie.
Oh look! I know Batman's parents were killed by a no-name petty thief - but wouldn't it be, well, cool, if we made it that the Joker was really responsible for their deaths?! Yeah! Um, COOL! :rolleyes:

I just DON'T understand why people feel compelled to do stuff like this? All it really does, IMHO, is 'shrink' the universe the movies are set in - everyone is related to everyone else by 1 degree of separation.

It's silly!

/rant ;)

Reverend Strone
16 July 2002, 10:45 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth Puck.

That's one of the things that frustrates me with a good portion of the EU and switches me off to it all in a big way. It goes against the whole point of the EU, to Expand the Star Wars Universe and leads one to believe the Galaxy's about the same size as a small hick town where everyone plays banjos.

Having said that, there's a good portion of the EU that breaks that myopic writing trap and is enormously satisfying. It seems to be a trap a lot of the short stories fall into in particular, I guess because it shortcuts the need for extensive new character introduction and keeps the tale within the confines of the lives of characters readers already know and love.

Puck
17 July 2002, 04:53 AM
So now we know that under that helmet, Boba Fett really looks like Cleetus the Slack-Jawed Yokel?!

And we thought he was cloned!!!

hehehe

Sithspawn
26 July 2002, 10:21 AM
I too agree with Puck to some extent. "Oh my uncle once saw a holovid of Admiral Ozzel while holidaying on Tatooine where he shared a room with Momaw Nadon!" Who gives a rancors a$$!

That said a little familiarity can move the story along. The Dengar story was one of the earliest pieces of EU. As for him being that good, well try watching Formula 1, Indycars or Superbikes. They're all that good and crashes happen. Besides, Dengar was just after an excuse to blame someone else.

Korpil
26 July 2002, 11:37 AM
Alas! I don't have my "Tales of..." books anymore, I really can't remember what happened to them, last week I was going to pick one and there was no one in sight! :(

I really don't remember how his accident happen, but I agree that at those speeds you are really much concerned about yourself and the "still" environment to notice other character coming at you... unless of course you are Anakin Skywalker...

As for the "1 of separation", I also think it's ridiculous... I mean, you need to establish the character in the Galaxy, but 2 o 3 degrees work fine... maybe Dengar just flew once with Han in a pro-circuit and that could give him a bit of an advantage over other bounty hunters, but that's all!

We must remember that also most of the top skilled people in our world have crossed paths at least once, but it's like saying hey once upon a time Magic Johnson spitted on Jordan and that's why he had the intention to become a better basketball player than Magic... (and please let's not start a fight over who's better, I was just trying to make an example)...

Bond-O Calrissian
14 August 2002, 05:19 PM
Things about Dengar that anger me:

No mention of his stats in the Rebellion sourcebook. We have to wait for Dengar to show up in a magazine. He did as much as Zuckuss and IG-88 in the movies (like, nothing) and he doesn't even get a mention in a frickin' sourcebook.

There's no song about Dengar like there is about Chewbacca. No one (but me) ever shows up at a game singing "Dengar! What a Corellian!"

And what was the writer of the bounty hunter wars trilogy thinking when he made Dengar into a complete wuss? Come on... he's got Boba Fett dead to rights, completely weak, and could easily live the rest of his life famous as the guy who finally killed Boba Fett. So what does Dengar, hardened bounty hunter, do? Saves his life. Oy gevalt!

Yes, Dengar is my favorite bounty hunter, why do you ask?