PDA

View Full Version : Mass Mail is not spam.

Moridin
17 July 2002, 09:16 AM
Argh.

So I tried to send out that message about our ENnie nomination to all registered Holonet users. But apparently I sent out 20 copies to at least 500 people. So, if you got that message, I sincerely apologize. Fortunately, it appears as though the message only went to the 500 most recent registered members, so not everyone got it, and some of the oldbies probably were spared.

Sheesh. Teaches me not to brag.

Erokh
17 July 2002, 09:52 AM
I only got 7 copies of it, so it wasn't that bad.

dgswensen
17 July 2002, 09:55 AM
If it makes you feel better, I read the news on the front page and went to vote for swrpgnetwork without having received any mail about it. :)

Moridin
17 July 2002, 10:44 AM
DATELINE: Knoxville, TN

Moridin is a huge idiot!

I realized what happened. Apparently, when the script generated the mailing list, it duplicated some peoples' e-mail addresses when the server hiccuped. Then, on top of that, since I was using Mozilla on my Linux box at work, Mozilla tried to re-send the data 10 times before timing out...meaning that probably around 250-500 people got like 20 copies of the e-mail.

Me big idiot. Me feel bad. Me go home to cave and use Windows.

Erokh
17 July 2002, 11:13 AM
It's okay. I forgive you, but I am going to have to get that candy, now. ;)

Colin Jaed
17 July 2002, 09:21 PM
No problem, consider the site one vote closer to VICTORY! Hmm, all those D & D nominees and single, solitary SWRPGnetwork; kinda reminiscent of an rebellion against an empire...?:D

Matt Richard
18 July 2002, 01:03 PM
You'll be glad to know I didnt get any mail like that, and I voted for ya!!! Now, you better have candy, and my personal favorite is Starbursts. You can send them to my house at...:D

Good luck and congrats on the nomination.

Erokh
18 July 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Matt Richard
and my personal favorite is Starburts.

Starburts? Sesame Street candy?

Nova Spice
18 July 2002, 09:07 PM
Well I received your message Moridin, but something went horribly amiss when I attempted to vote for the Network! As soon as I clicked the NEXT button to proceed to the FanSite category, it said that I had already voted? But that's impossible since I have never even been to the EnWorld website before! 8o

Any ideas what happened there?! :?

Moridin
18 July 2002, 09:44 PM
No, not a clue. You can e-mail the guys that are doing the hosting and see if they can help, though.