PDA

View Full Version : help with scenerio

SNiPE
17 July 2002, 06:21 PM
Ok, here's the deal couple of my buddies played jedi outcast 2 and now they want to try to get a hold of some cortosis to have made into equipment or weapons, i need some help trying to figure out where and how they would get a hold of this rare material, and some stats for it because i could not find it here. also how long would a cortosis sword last against a lightsaber??

Matt Richard
17 July 2002, 07:30 PM
I loath that game with a passion, it is every gm's worst nightmare (or gms that have jedi players). One of my Jedi gamers plays that game non-stop and he thinks its the best. Me, I hate it. You can use the Force like its some sort of children's toy which can be tossed and turned every which way. He expects me to follow the rules of the game, rather than the ones stated in the RPG rules. I calmly tell him no.

Anyway, can you describe this cotorsis thing? Ive only seen my gamer play Jedi Outcast 2 for a little bit, and I dont remember ever seeing a cotorsis. Sorry for the lack of help, but I was wondering if you were in my same situation (the gamers think that JO2 should override the rpg rules).

Master_thorin
17 July 2002, 07:44 PM
Cortosis Ore: Rare material found on few worlds has a odd property to deactivate (though not ruin) Lightsabers

Game stats are in the DSSB

SNiPE
17 July 2002, 10:39 PM
matt i'm kinda in a similar situtation, bu tluckily my pc's know that if they get to demanding, imperial storm commandoes may come knocking on their door. so they try to keep some of their requests within reason. also the way they use the force in that game is cool for the game but totally impractical for swrpg, i mean how many times can you force grip/push people off cliffs without getting a DSP. =D

master thorin sorry to have to aak but what is the dssb??

Matt Richard
17 July 2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by SNiPE
matt i'm kinda in a similar situtation, bu tluckily my pc's know that if they get to demanding, imperial storm commandoes may come knocking on their door. so they try to keep some of their requests within reason. also the way they use the force in that game is cool for the game but totally impractical for swrpg, i mean how many times can you force grip/push people off cliffs without getting a DSP. =D

master thorin sorry to have to aak but what is the dssb??

Man I really dont like that game, but anyway...

DSSB stands for Dark Side Sourcebook by Wizards of the Coast (d20). You can probably buy it buy clicking on the "book links" on this page, and it'll probably show you a list of books which you can buy.

shadow master
17 July 2002, 11:26 PM
As a GM, I would not let my PCs even think about basing their thoughts of the Force on a game that allows use of the Force like play-dough to a child. I think Jedi Outcast is okay, but not to be used for any sort of character descrimination.

I frankly wouldn't allow them to have cortosis ore for any reason, unless the challenge would really allow them to reap the benefits. Frankly, cortosis is too powerful in the hands of PCs. Well my PCs :p

reliant
18 July 2002, 05:21 AM
I think they talk about Cortosis in the "Hand of Thrawn" duology.

Jedi Outcast is a great video game, but the stuff in it does not really translate well into RPG stuff (IMHO). It's cool for the game, but completely dismisses everything we know about the force (and DSP's).

I do have to echo SNiPE though, tossing stormies off of ledges with force grip or force push is just too fun... :D

I think that you wouldn't really have to worry too much about your PC's ever getting any cortosis because almost NO ONE in the star wars universe knows it exists.

SNiPE
18 July 2002, 09:16 AM
ok i think ill just send them in a hopeless search across the galaxy, until they get tired of looking or i trough to many baddies at them. also i just realized today what dssb mean darkside source book, and i know if any of the people i play with read this they are gonna mess with me for not realizing that. thx for the help guys.

The Admiral
18 July 2002, 11:19 AM
Me, I'd let 'em follow a merry chase around for ages, following prospectors rumours, dodgy mineral dealers, corrupt mining guild officials, Imperial Secret shipments etc etc. Either they'll get bored or, when they finally track a contact down, have him sell them as much Cartesis Ore as they like.

They'll never spot the difference.

Cartesis ore, is, (obviously) almost completely useless. it's brittle, heavy and it's run through with bizarre crystalline fragments that channel energy through the entire item, causing it to explode in red hot fragments if you so much as strike a match on it.

Be really fun when they start getting shot at whilst wearing Cartesis ore armour. And it ought to teach the silly beggars the difference between computer games and role-playing games.

SNiPE
18 July 2002, 11:25 AM
nice one admiral, i like the way you think, this will be one funny session ... well for me at least.