PDA

View Full Version : 'Gray

Orellis_Wayfarer
18 July 2002, 12:19 PM
anybody have any neat lil ideas on using/creating Jedi-like characters except not quite jedi. i like fast-paced and violent games, but dont want to be completely evil, nor bogged down w/ a lot of morality (i know, wrong rpg right? lol). i've read the handbook from one of the link sites, but cant remember the name. they're a good start, but i want some experience from pc's/gm's on the topic. any tips on creating/playing will greatly b appreciated.

ps, D6 and time between ep1&2

BrianDavion
18 July 2002, 12:39 PM
in other words you wanna go around killing first asking questions not at all and don't wanna be penalized for it. well thats up to your GM. all I can say is if you wanna play a quick and violent charcter. well the very nature is the quick and violent.

StClair
18 July 2002, 02:48 PM
Better yet, go play Jedi Outcast or some other first-person shooter. That should be all the "quick, violent" action you could ask for, without the moral consequences you don't want.

(Yes, I'm entirely serious.)

evan hansen
19 July 2002, 05:10 AM
My personal opinion would be to see you either use the D6 system and apply it to a universe with a set of rules loosely based on Star Wars where things are a bit different and play that. It lets you do what you want, but it doesn't require severe alterations to the SWU... And it won't distract any hardcore Star Wars fans you might play with that won't want to see this type of character.

But, if you're going to do it, I have some suggestions. I used to play some characters like this in my more inexperienced days, so I have something of a clue about this.

First, you can't make him a Jedi, or he'll get wiped out by the Jedi Order, who will very much want to corrale him.

You also said you don't want him to be completely evil. And this is kind of where the problem lies. Yoda says, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." So we've got to assume that as you do acts a Jedi would consider evil, you get closer and closer to being that complete evil character you don't want.

What I would do is this:

At least create a good character: someone with some history and background to him! Maybe say that he noticed some latent force powers and kinda figured out how to do a few basic things on his own. Then say some really twisted bounty hunter or pirate stole his wife and young son to sell them into slavery. So he began to use these powers to seek vengence. Make a set of rules for yourself where he never uses these powers against people who haven't done him wrong, but he won't hesitate to put the old Vader Squeeze on someone who is clearly a bad person. Have him continue to practice his skills and get better and better. Give him like 1 power for every 1D he advances in a Force skill (assuming you still use the WEG Force rules). He can't get one for every pip or be taught them because he couldn't have a teacher.

This way, you can at least justify the character. It's very similar to a character I once played. Actually, I played a LOT of these types of characters in my youth.

I was in a fairly power-oriented group, and at points, I would kill off a good character I had made just to beef myself up so I could defend myself from other PCs in my group. It was terrible, and I never knew how bad I had it until I got into the online community. :-) For the past 4 years, I've had a very different outlook and my characters are much different. But you get the idea. :-)

Ace Calhoon
19 July 2002, 09:39 AM
The people you are thinking of are the Baadu. However, these might not be what you want to play either, as they can actually 'fall' to the lightside.

http://www.rpg-domain.de/JHV13/part6.htm

Jedi_Staailis
19 July 2002, 03:56 PM
It's all in the type of game. Your group can change it however you like. If you (your group) want, your Jedi won't receive DSPs and the council will be loose about enforcing morality. However, you won't really be playing Star Wars. I know, as a Star Wars fan, I wouldn't enjoy being in a game like that. It'd start to shift away from what drew me to Star Wars in the first place.

In Star Wars, it's well established that Force using characters are dominated by morality. Wherever they are on the spectrum of good versus evil, their decisions are significant and the effects are lasting.

So, I do think you're playing the wrong game if you want a character like that. If you persist in making such a character, the GM either slams you with rules you don't want, or the game shifts away from Star Wars. If the GM wants Star Wars, he or she is in a no-win situation.

I guess this really doesn't help you much, but that's the way I see this issue. :(

MightyMuenster
19 July 2002, 04:10 PM
You can basically just be a Soldier with the Force Sensitive feat. Grab some strong close range weapons, and that's about all that could work. But remember to make a background to your character. It's not as fun if your character is just marks on paper!

Orellis_Wayfarer
22 July 2002, 05:25 AM
thx all. i realize that many out there dont agree w/ the way i want to run a game, and like some of u said it just doesnt sound like star wars, but imho i think the greatest aspect of star wars is the unlimited possibilities it provides.

i am still interested in maybe some homebrew stuff, or at least maybe if some of u have tried something similar to the baadu in a game and had i t fail miserably? stats, adventure ideas, experiences, that's what i am after here. if u've tried them and had it blow up in your face, great let me know what went wrong. im researching the possibility/feasability of such characters.

ps, thx 2 calhoon and hansen especially 4 the posts, those helped the most

Darth_Cassed
22 July 2002, 10:51 PM
I'm on a quest for the holy grail....wait no let me start over...
I'm on a quest to let people learn they need to make this game, their campaing, their own, and this means doing really whatever they want to alter it. So please make some alterations, make the game your own!

LiquidSaber
31 July 2002, 05:23 AM
How about the Jenesaari?? They use some darkside traditions...but are still defenders, and yet hate Jedi...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
3 August 2002, 11:40 PM
Grey jedi are a pet peeve of mine. Grrr....

Corsair
5 August 2002, 06:10 AM
LOL. The Grey Jedi discussion again. This has been discussed to death before ... was a while ago though. Dunno if its still up. :p

evan hansen
5 August 2002, 03:49 PM
Well, conceptually, they're great -- and they're fun. They're kind of the Stone Cold Steve Austin's of the SW-RPG universe. Gray Jedi are people who see fit to do whatever they need to in order to reach the ends they consider to be noble. If they have to save a little girl by beating up on someone they think is a bad person, they will.

As long as that's the perspective the character is taking, it's really easy to understand why players want to play them. You can mix all worlds and have fun doing it.

Unfortunately, the SW universe doesn't quite work that way. Lucas has seemingly outlined a kind of good-versus-evil and that's about it kind of outlook in the Jedi. Sure, characters like Han Solo and Lando exist -- but they're not Force users.

And the RPG *definately* does not work that way. Gray Jedi are unbalancing in the hands of all but the most experienced GMs -- and they're usually solely power gaming characters except in the hands of the most experienced players.

Anyhow, just some thoughts on the matter.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
5 August 2002, 04:15 PM
In my opinion, "Grey Jedi" are simply darksiders, or people who are slipping that way, who are in denial.

Nafai
10 August 2002, 09:32 AM
Grey Jedi? Sounds like Dooku circa Episode One. And he became a Sith Apprentice. This is no Grey, there's simply a fence you cross. You straddle it for but a moment.