PDA

View Full Version : User Ratings

Wedge in Red2
23 July 2002, 02:27 PM
From the FAQ:
First, all members begin with a rating of three, which is average.

I've noticed a couple of things lately.

First, some new users are wandering about without a user rating. While you can still rate them by opening their profle window and doing it from there, I remember when I started out it automatically had a rating of 3 (1 vote). Has this changed?

Second, I also noticed one user with a rating of 5. I can't remember who it was now, but remember thinking "That's strange...surely a perfect 5 is not attainable because your first rating will always be a 3". I think they were pretty new too...

Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Thanks,

Jon

Korpil
23 July 2002, 02:38 PM
I woudn't bet my arse, but I'd say the temporary "3" is replaced by the first rating the user receive...

BTW, can you rate yourself?

Wedge in Red2
23 July 2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Korpil
I woudn't bet my arse, but I'd say the temporary "3" is replaced by the first rating the user receive...

That makes sense, because if I click my "12 votes" link it tells me 12 people who rated me (as compared to 11 plus one computer generated rating).

[Okay, I just went back and checked, and I've confused myself more. When I click on my "12 votes", it gives me a list of 12 people who have rated me. However, when I click on Korpil's 4 votes, the list only has 3 names. So, maybe the temporary 3 is replaced later down the track!?!]

If that's correct, then it answers the question regarding the user with the rating of 5. However it doesn't address those with no rating at all. Perhaps they only just registered and the system doesn't update their rating for some time (just to speculate).

BTW, can you rate yourself?

No. I tried early on in my SWRPGNetwork time :D. Try it yourself, it'll tell you you can't rate yourself.

Jon

Jedi_Staailis
23 July 2002, 07:31 PM
I have a couple of possible explanations (which may or may not be correct :) ).

Second, I also noticed one user with a rating of 5
The perfect five could be a result of rounding, even if you include the average 3. However, I wonder who it is. I can't recall anyone with a rating that high (the highest I've seen is 4.8).

When I click on my "12 votes", it gives me a list of 12 people who have rated me. However, when I click on Korpil's 4 votes, the list only has 3 names.
Perhaps users who change their rating are counted as a second vote. This could explain the discrepancy without having to replace the automatic 3 midway through the rating process.

Reverend Strone
23 July 2002, 07:39 PM
I have also observed that while you can check who's voted for most users by clicking the "votes" link, the same cannot be done for a couple of users. Very odd.:?

Wedge in Red2
23 July 2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Staailis
The perfect five could be a result of rounding, even if you include the average 3. However, I wonder who it is. I can't recall anyone with a rating that high (the highest I've seen is 4.8).

The guy I saw had 3 votes and a rating of 5. His name was Kingnat.
You can see one of his posts on the SWAG board. Check it out:
http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8462&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=2

He's got three guys who voted for him (including the good Reverend :)), so his "starting 3" has already disappeared. I guess he's just a great user :D.

I'm fine with a perfect 5, my remaining question is just about those new users without a rating...

Most the new users I see without ratings also don't have a location or a rank badge. Which is what led me to believe it might be that the system just hasn't fully set them up yet. One guy I was thinking of was incantator. This morning he had no rating, but now someone has gone and given him a rating of 2. So now it says rating 2 (1 votes). Go figure.

Originally posted by Reverend Strone
I have also observed that while you can check who's voted for most users by clicking the "votes" link, the same cannot be done for a couple of users. Very odd.

They weren't new users were they? I think the general rule is that it won't tell you the votes until you've got 3 votes. Otherwise it's be fairly easy to work out who gave you what...

Jon

Reverend Strone
23 July 2002, 10:20 PM
Yeah actually, I think they were.

I checked Incantator, and he's got the same odd quirk going with his rating too. You can't actually see who it was who voted for him -very strange.

Perhaps it has something to do with his non-alligned status? A curious system quirk.

Korpil
23 July 2002, 10:40 PM
Yet another mystery... what's the use of the "Previous Rating" concept? Every one I've checked has "None"...

Korpil
23 July 2002, 10:43 PM
I correct myself, few people DO have a Previous Rating (like Wedge in Red2, but many don't... even people who have been rated by many users...

Wedge in Red2
24 July 2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Korpil
Yet another mystery... what's the use of the "Previous Rating" concept? Every one I've checked has "None"...

I can help out with that one :). Previous rating is what you have previously rated that user. So the reason it shows a previous rating when you pull up my profile is because you have previously given me a rating (and thank you :) ). Other users you haven't rated, so it says previous rating: none.

Jon

Grimace
24 July 2002, 07:46 AM
Wedge is correct. The "previous rating" is what you have previously rated the user. Voting for a person more than once simply erases your previous rating for that person and replaces it with a new number. Therefore if you first rate a person "3" and later find that they are an exemplary poster, you can go back and change it to a 4 or 5. The calculation removes your "3" and replaces it with the new number you've chosen. It doesn't count twice, as someone else suggested.

Also, it's true that if a person has a very small amount of votes, it won't show who's voted. As someone stated, it would be too easy to find out who voted what for you. Some people are vindictive and would then reciprocate a "low" vote for no other reason than to spite a person.

I can't explain why some people don't have a user rating. It may be that if they don't have a "faction" chosen (Imperial, Rebel or Pirate) it doesn't show a rating. That's probably not the reason...only a guess. I'll find out for sure.

Hope this helps.

Korpil
24 July 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2
because you have previously given me a rating (and thank you :) ).

Don't thank me! You deserved your "1" hahaha, just kidding! ;) Well, that part is clear certainly now... I promise to start rating the fellow users who make these forums such a great place!!!

Jedi_Staailis
24 July 2002, 02:40 PM
It doesn't count twice, as someone else suggested.
Sorry about the lack of clarity. I meant that the second vote may be counted when displaying the number of votes a person has received. I was trying to resolve the inconsistency with the number of votes and the number of names. The actual numerical rating is replaced, as you've said. That much is made clear in the FAQ.

Armage Bedar
24 July 2002, 04:34 PM
Hey all -- I turned off some code for user ratings when we upgraded. Specifically the part about starting users all off with a "3" to begin with.

I'll be fixing that shortly. Just never had the time ::grins::

Wedge in Red2
24 July 2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Armage Bedar
Hey all -- I turned off some code for user ratings when we upgraded. Specifically the part about starting users all off with a "3" to begin with.

I'll be fixing that shortly. Just never had the time ::grins::

Ahhhhh. Cool, that explains all B). Thanks Armage!

Jon

Reverend Strone
24 July 2002, 05:05 PM
It all makes sense now. As always, thanks Armage.:)

Armage Bedar
24 July 2002, 05:42 PM
I put the code back in, so it *should* be working for anyone who registers from here on in.

Unfortunately there's going to be some people without that "initial 3" -- if you see someone who seems like they have an abnormally high or low user rating with very few votes, let me know and I'll take a look.

I was going to go through the database with a script and try and correct the ratings one-by-one, but it was taking inordinately long and the rating issue *really* isn't a big one. The number of ratings a user has should give an indication of just how valuable a member with a 4.5 average is; the law of averages will make their actions speak louder as more people rate them.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, folks :-)