PDA

View Full Version : Goldmember

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
23 July 2002, 09:08 PM
Offical Review - Two thumbs up great family fun.

Although no blantant SW ripoffs this time around.

Colin Jaed
23 July 2002, 09:37 PM
I thought it didn't open until Friday? We have to wait here where I live, one of the benefits of living in Cali! How does it rate compared to the first two?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
23 July 2002, 09:53 PM
You are right, it doesn't open 'til Friday.

A group of my friends and I were on your way to see K19 when a lady handed me a piece of paper good for an advanced screening of Goldmember.

I'm just glad that they didn't fall back on all of the same jokes. Although I thought that the movie took a while to get going.

REG
23 July 2002, 10:31 PM
K-19...

Isn't that the movie in which Captain Han Solo orders Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn to fix the Death Star II core reactor that they mistakenly destroyed, while trapped beneath the icy surface of planet Hoth? :p

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
23 July 2002, 11:10 PM
The funny thing about Austin Powers movies, is that lots of people don't realize that most everything in them (or atleast the first one) can be found in a James Bond movie. Most everyone I know that likes them seems to be ignorant of this. It's odd...

Personally, I don't like them. I prefer my comedy black.

Jaggard
24 July 2002, 03:16 AM
okay been thinking about this for a while and this seems as good a place as any to bring it up. The Austin Powers Pepsi twist commercial with Spears: around when he says she's a man baby they do a shot of him standing infront of some wall decorations namely two horns. The way he's standing makes him look like a devil. I wonder if it was intentional?

Iris
24 July 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
The funny thing about Austin Powers movies, is that lots of people don't realize that most everything in them (or atleast the first one) can be found in a James Bond movie. Most everyone I know that likes them seems to be ignorant of this. It's odd...

Hmm, I always throught the James Bond spoofing was obvious. Heck, the titles "The Spy Who Shagged Me" and "Goldmember are blatant rips on "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Goldfinger".

But then again, I've always LOVED James Bond so I guess I'm one of the few who "caught" the joke.

dragonseye
24 July 2002, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a bit obvious too that it was taken from Bond (though I'm not too into Bond... nor Austin Powers... but they're better than some shows... whatever you people do, do not rent Beowulf with Chrstopher Lambert in it, trust me on this...)

Heck, UA (I think it was United Artists) tried to sue them and make them change the title Golmember to something else. They felt it was too close to the Bond movie title Goldfinger.

Hmmm, maybe I'll go see it since you to found it to be pretty funny.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
24 July 2002, 11:56 AM
In one of the trailers the movie is called "The Next Installment of Austin Powers," but when they agreed to show the Die Another Day trailer in front of Goldmember they let them keep the title.

Colin Jaed
24 July 2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by REG
K-19...

Isn't that the movie...

God, now that is funny!:D

malphas13
8 August 2002, 06:07 PM
Actually I didn't like Goldmember. You can assemble the 3rd movie from all the jokes in the first two. Save your money and rent it, or wait till it's on TV. I was disapointed. It did have it's moments, but they were few and far between. And all the hidiously blatant advertising got very tiring very quickly.

Kas'ir Faywind
8 August 2002, 08:12 PM
SPOILER!
The first 15 minutes were the best quickly followed by the credits with mini me and Brittany spears i thouguht that was hillarious

Bond-O Calrissian
14 August 2002, 05:05 PM
What was Goldmember's line at the roller disco? Something like "I'm Dutch! Isn't that weird?"