PDA

View Full Version : Book review

incantator
24 July 2002, 01:14 PM
I have been reading some of the Star Wars novels to get up to speed with the universe, and I would like to comment on some of the books I have read.

I have enjoyed many of the New Jedi Order series, although I initially found the Vong a fairly irritating addition. I think that some of the books are not true to the original characters, but the series seemed to be getting on track to being pretty descent and an inviting place to bring a role playing group.

I had mixed reactions about two of the older books that I found. I read Children of the Jedi and found it to be a well constructed novel, although I might only think this because I read it right after dragging my way through half of I, Jedi. I found the later book to be torture to read. I, Jedi is not true to the character of Luke, portraying him as a fool and a wimp. Meanwhile, the hero, Corran Horn, is a character that I never can seem to like. I may have to finish I, Jedi but only in order to gleam enough knowledge about the Star Wars universe to not feel like an idiot when I see things about the Jensaarai.

Having exhausted the adult Star Wars section at my library, I have begun reading the Jedi Apprentice series from Scholastic about the young Obi-Wan. Maybe my mind is just too simple for adult reading, but I find the books in this series to be excellent. Jude Watson is able to capture many of the internal characteristics of the Jedi, but he keeps the books moving with enough action to satisfy my impatient side. I found Defenders of the Dead, where Obi-Wan joins with some other children fighting to save their planet, an incredibly moving story with a cliffhanger ending that left me searching frantically for the next book in the series. I would recommend this series of books to anyone who is tired of the lame plots devices and poorly developed characters of many of the adult novels.

Jedi_Staailis
24 July 2002, 02:28 PM
Before dropping all of the adult books, I'd suggest you try some of the ones considered by fans to be good. Here are my personal favorites (excluding NJO novels, you need to read the ones before to enjoy them fully):

Heir to the Empire Trilogy: The first set of novels set after RotJ, this series requires no previous reading. The characters are well developed and the plot is excellent. Written by Timothy Zahn.

Hand of Thrawn Duology: Also by Zahn, these two books are by far my favorite Star Wars novels. The movie characters are so well drawn that they never seem to break with their film personalities, even when thrown into situations that aren't in the movies. The original characters are equally well done, and the plot, typical of Zahn, is extremely complex but not overwhelming. This series has numerous (but not insurmountable) tie-ins to the Heir to the Empire Trilogy.

X-Wing Books 5-7 and 9: I'm not as big of a fan of Stackpole as many other followers of Star Wars EU, so I won't recommend his X-Wing books. However, Allston's are nothing short of excellent. The original characters are vibrant and interesting, even if they stretch realism a little.

Reverend Strone
24 July 2002, 03:06 PM
I'd echo my esteemed Jedi brother in suggesting you try the Heir to the Empire trilogy. I really enjoyed these, and thought they very successfully captured the tone and feeling of the original films.

The Hand of Thrawn duology I found slightly less satisfying, but still worth the read, and many folks have recommended the X-wing novels to me, though I haven't yet gotten to them.