PDA

View Full Version : Brain Teasers?

scottyboy
25 July 2002, 10:53 AM
I'm writing a campaign, and I'm having a little trouble finding ways that I can really stump the PC's. I mean in D&D it's easy to make little traps and riddles that the PC's really have to use their brain's to figure out. But I'm not having good results coming up with stuff for the SWU. So if anybody could help, it would be much appreciated. I don't care what it is. A small plot line, a trap, a riddle, whatever you guys can think of. All help is appreciated.

evan hansen
25 July 2002, 11:03 AM
If I were you, I'd probably go for a tricky plot line: the "red herring," as it's called.

Basically, do everything you can to make them think one thing and then hope they eventually figure out the truth. For example, I had a campaign where the PCs found this helpful little man, leader of this funny little race of people out in the middle of nowhere, and they befriended him, etc... Meanwhile, the Hutts began a war on the other side of the Republic. It turns out their little friend was a Sith lord and he cut a deal with the Hutts to start a war. He then had his end of the galaxy wide open to move into the heart of Coruscant with no problem. He took over the planet for a short time, actually. It was very interesting to watch the PCs try to deal with it.

damiller
25 July 2002, 11:11 AM
One time they pissed off a crime lord. Instead of killing them, the crime lord sent a slicer to "fix" their ship. Now when they activated a crucial system, like sensor, shields, weapons, or the muffin maker (yes they had one, apple bran was their favorite!) another system would start up or shut off.

Here is how I worked it out, using a pattern.

I picked 4 systems

weapons
shields
sensors
life support

And the created a pattern for the "fix". This was to make my players acutally figure out the pattern in order to fix the slicers mix up.

For example

1st time Use weapons - weapon fires
2nd time use weapons - shields turn off
3rd time use weapons - sensors turn off
4th time use weapons- life support turns off

Of course when the weapons are shot the second time, the players are going to scramble to turn the shields on. So..

1st time turn shields on - shields,
2nd time turn shields on - sensors off
3rd time turn shields on - life support off
4th time turn shields on - weapons fire

The basic point is create an order, pattern and each system you choose starts with itself, then goes down that list and repeats until the players figure out the pattern.

I hoped I explained it well enough if not let me know. It worked well, it created a lot of tension because they couldn't fire back and were being fired upon.

I let them roll INT or Computer Use checks to give them hints, no point in getting them frustrated to the point of madness!

Hope that helps!

Korpil
25 July 2002, 11:32 AM
I remember a plot against the characters' ship about a bomb which was supposed to explode when they came back out of hyperspace, the bomb was in the hull, so they had to figure this, get a vacuum suit and go outside the ship while in hyperspace... I thought I had invented this but later I realized a similar plot was in one of the Brian Daley's Han Solo books...

Also great for brain teasing I used once a LucasArts game, "The Dig", it's an old one but its plot is great and you can use it to your own advantage... that is if none of your players solved it... :)

The main plot involves a group of NASA astronauts who found an asteroid containing something like a hyperspace teleporter, they arrived to the remains of an ancient civilization who died because they found the cure to dying (strange isn't it? but it became a quest of power because the substance was addictive and everyone wanted to have more and more -the plot even requires one of the playeres to became addicted to that substance after almost dying-)... So the players have to get his friend back to normal, and finding a way to get to their planet...

Get the game, it's great... and you can use it to make a small campaign...

It comes as part of the LucasArts Archives Vol. III, sadly I can't find it in the LucasArts store right now...

Jaggard
25 July 2002, 12:47 PM
my brain teaser:
Ha Ha you're grey and wrinkly!:rolleyes:

simple give them catch twenty twos: there is an ancient lightsaber with a force ghost of a powerful Jedi who has the secret to defeating a secret cult of darksiders. Guess who is weilding the lightsaber and unfortunately the ghost can't manifest while the lightsaber is being used. (something about to energies can't project at the same time from the crystal.
Now they have to find a way to get the light saber away from an unstoppable enemy (maybe they are ablle to raise the dead into sith zombies i don't know) in order to find out how to fight the unstopable enemy.
Uncovering the past can be a good puzzle. Say your new Maguffan (sp?) is actually a character. Say Darth Vader like, not the emporor but as close as he can get. Only this is a character you have to redeem, So you have to find out what drove him to the darkside and then figure out how to repair it and then give him a reason to come back. It's infinitely more easy to kill a bad guy then change his mind but you have to make it clear there is no other option. Saving the bad guy also makes freinds into enemies right quick.
Or what fun, a catch the spy trick. Working for the ____ your CO nitices that a lot of your major plans are being anticipated by the other side so naturally there seems to be a spy. So the characters observe NPCs for strange behavior. The problem is that when your really looking almost anything can be considered strange behavior. Make sure to exaggerate anything different about NPCs. The characters follow him when he wanders off and has a meeting in the shadows with someone. Then move in to arrest him but soon Thwip, thwip. Both NPCs are shot. It turns out the guy thought he was being watched by the enemy and tried to set up a transfer with the underground for an escape. He was on your side and so was his contact. You just cost the lives of to good men, but the PCs may still think he's the spy until the next missions are anticipated too. Turns out that the PC after haveing surgery done at some point in his life became a randomly selected walking surveilance system. They just have to have the clues and the int. to figure it out.
Or one idea I offered a guy with a completely different request. The short of it:
A jedi healer make a cure for calcium deficiency by making an moss that creates a supplement. Then finds out it was used as a weapon against a world of calcium intolerant creatures. He falls to te dark side and used what's left of the life from that ecosphere to create a plauge that has only one cure. The players have to figure out that it's massive doses of calcium. To make it fun for the GM and more confusing, the plauge has different symptoms. It effects the body by confusing hormone receptors. Sometimes people get very passive while others get aggressive, some get lustful and others become cold and unfeeling, ect... and sometimes the effects are physical appearing to become the opposite gender because the body mistake one hormone for the other. Narcolepsy when adrenaline kicks in. Excited when nothing is happening. The thing is that sometimes the damage to the receptors is perminant so cureing the plauge doesn't cure the symptoms. The plauge kills by causeing a complete shut down of the hormone system or poisoning the person with their own hormones and other method of healing make it worse because they involve getting the body to heal itself and that's what the body was already trying to do. It percieved a mistake in hormone production where there wasn't one and is trying to fix it. The force and other methods make it worse.
Rambling rambling rambling
sorry

KnightStalker
28 July 2002, 03:02 PM
One time they pissed off a crime lord. Instead of killing them, the crime lord sent a slicer to "fix" their ship. Now when they activated a crucial system, like sensor, shields, weapons, or the muffin maker (yes they had one, apple bran was their favorite!) another system would start up or shut off.

Here is how I worked it out, using a pattern.

I picked 4 systems

weapons
shields
sensors
life support

And the created a pattern for the "fix". This was to make my players acutally figure out the pattern in order to fix the slicers mix up.

For example

1st time Use weapons - weapon fires
2nd time use weapons - shields turn off
3rd time use weapons - sensors turn off
4th time use weapons- life support turns off

Of course when the weapons are shot the second time, the players are going to scramble to turn the shields on. So..

1st time turn shields on - shields,
2nd time turn shields on - sensors off
3rd time turn shields on - life support off
4th time turn shields on - weapons fire

The basic point is create an order, pattern and each system you choose starts with itself, then goes down that list and repeats until the players figure out the pattern.

That's a damn sneaky trick. You should put that in the "1000 ways to be an evil GM" thread in the General Discussion Forum.

scottyboy
31 July 2002, 05:15 AM
Those are some great idea's people! Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

LiquidSaber
31 July 2002, 05:39 AM
I used this once on a group, essentially it was this:

Retired Pirate Lord hires PCs to deliver something and are handed a "rolling pin" well it looks just like on except it isn't. Marble white and translucent, humming with an inner glow, some kind of artifact. They are told to deliver it too a retired old Hutt for a large ridiculous sum of credits. Watch the characters try to figure it out.

On top of that they have to deliver it within a week. They get double the enormous sum if they get it there in four days (The retired pirate Lord knows by hyperspace routes it takes a minimum of five days with the fastest hyperdrive, he just wants them to hurry) It is actually possible for them to get it there in four days but this includes an astrogation check through uncharted space and possible gravitic anomalies.

The artifact is blank and undiscerning at first galnce. It is in fact a message device, though oft chance they will think it is some kind of explosive. It banged hard against something it will glow brighter and on the surface a script will show of an ancient language (archaic huttese to be exact). If they want it transcribed will have to go someplace to find an expert. But they still have the time limit.

Their ship also happens to have just enough fuel for a 4-5 day trip and they probably should try stopping to refuel or else risking emptiness when they may need to go quickly.

In the meantime the Hutt has sent his men to grab the item, afterall, he is suppose to pay the PCs when they arive to deliver the item, if he just steals it from them he doesn't have to pay anyone anything. :D

Upon getting to the hutt's headquarters, the hutt acknowledges they beat him at his game, banging the artifact and revealing it's hidden message. Then he plusgs the device into a giant game board and laughs as he watches his old frind (the pirate lord) make his game move.

(the two discovered long ago that playing their exotic game of "Hubs, Tracks, and Solar Flares" that it was more interesting to send couriers with their game moves than to play long-distance.