PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Idea: Need Opinions, Ideas, etc.

joshuadivine
25 July 2002, 12:51 PM
I think a good idea for a group adventuring in the Rebellion Era (it might work in another era) would be to have the oppurtunity to form a "independent unit". Perhaps the Rebel high command is just to taxed for time or maybe it is because of material shortages. So, they select a experienced organizer and tactician, give him 1,000,000 credits and the authority to pick out, say, 500 people for his grpup. From there th group is on it's own. They would have to secure their own funding, supplies, find a base location, everything. This would give the heroes a better chance to be more important and influential in an orginization. Eventually, you could kill off the leader of the squadron somehow and then the heroes would have to lead a entire unit. I think it would be very fun and interesting. The only problem would be to "guide" the players into the making the descions and not have them do something you aren'tm prepared for (I have had the melancholy experience of DMing a whole AD&D session off the top of my head 8o). My players are to low level for this now, but I would really like some feedback. I think it could turn out very cool. Please rate me afterwards(it is droping thanks to a short lived protest against system specific rules I DO NOT HATE D6 PLAYERS OK!). Sorry for straying off the subject.

evan hansen
25 July 2002, 08:52 PM
I like your idea a lot. It has a lot of potential for unique role playing situations. You could go so far as to have them budget things, give them lists of people, items, weapons, etc... and have them budget how much they'll have. If you wanted, you could even set up dice rules for a galactic stock market and let them invest some if they wanted to be creative with it. :-)

One thing that I would recommend is not worrying too much about preparing for every possible contingency. Believe me, it's nearly impossible -- especially in Star Wars. The harder you try to control your players, the less likely it is that they'll do what you want/expect. No matter what happens, you can ALWAYS find a way to get them back on track. I know that a lot of people have found that trying to push players in directions they don't want to go is a near surefire way to start an argument.

I might suggest crafting the story so that they WANT to do what you want them to do. If you make it obviously clear that its to their advantage to do XYZ thing, they might take that option. Of course, don't be shocked if they do the opposite just for fun... But, in my mind, that's half the glory of this game: the random adventure. I scrapped an entire campaign once based on the random adventures of one of my PCs who created a great story line for himself by just doing what came naturally. So I ran with it.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with your campaign. :-)

Korpil
25 July 2002, 09:11 PM
Somehow I can't see the Rebellion giving away a million creds just for the sake of it, so why not make the leader a noble or something with a distaste for the Empire and who sells all his business to create the independent group...

This way, maybe the Rebellion first think of the organization as a threat and your group has to convince the Rebellion that they are not just another group of bandits, but they would rather keep themselves distanced from the Rebellion at present... (sort like Garm Bel Iblis' group in the Thrawn trilogy).

joshuadivine
26 July 2002, 08:33 AM
is a good idea. I don't know about the group being seen as a threat to the rebellion, but a noble selling all of his buisnesses os great. Maybe a rich Thyfaren...

Korpil
26 July 2002, 09:11 AM
Yeah, maybe not...

It's just that I've always toyed with the idea of an overzealous anti-Empire group of terrorist... wanting revenge from the Empire but without remorse of innocent killing... and sending some Rebel agents to "calm" them down...

Hmmm... wasn't that a plot in "No disintegrations"?.... I remember a Ho'Din and spores.... let me check *moving to Korpil's collection* Yup, indeed, there was an adventure involving a vengeful Ho'Din who commited terrorist attacks on Imperial bases (no innocents, though) and since the book was aimed at independent groups, they could capture him only for the money... ("business is business" a certain Toydarian would say)...

scottyboy
26 July 2002, 09:56 AM
I think that you should have the characters sort of "come into" some money. Then like somebody said earlier, convince your players that it would be in their best interest to start a business or organization. I think that it would be better if they started a business. They could have a mercenary business or something like that. They hire out their services, to the rebellion or to some other organization for the proper "compensation". Something like that. You could do all the same things that you stated before, but the players really get to "reap the benefits" of their project! And it doesn't have to be limited. They could come up with ANY idea for a business they wanted. They could open a bakery if they wanted to!