PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Members

OverLord
27 July 2002, 03:54 AM
I noticed that holonet now has over 4000 members!!!
Congratulation!!! :D

FallenAngel
27 July 2002, 10:53 AM
Woot! The holonet is growing in numbers and might! The force's will be done, eh?

FlipDog 2000
29 July 2002, 05:22 PM
Nope....just mine and Vixen's...hee hee:D

Darklighter
25 August 2002, 07:27 PM
Hey, where do you look to see what the current membership numbers are? [ Sorry to bother you, but I'm the insufferably curious sort :) ]

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
25 August 2002, 09:25 PM
At the very bottom of the main HoloNet page Darklighter.

Just it says that there is over 3,000 members not 4,000.

Total Registered Members: 3,038

Durian Keldrona
25 August 2002, 10:25 PM
7000 more and we have enough for jedi in the rise of the empire :)

OverLord
26 August 2002, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
Just it says that there is over 3,000 members not 4,000.

Yes I know...
When I wrote this message I looked at the profile number for the new members.

So why is the profil number to the newest member 4364 when there aro only 3039 members?

Deck
26 August 2002, 05:22 AM
Well, I think this is due to numerous members with a double-existence. People who register more than one account. Such accounts are removed sometimes. :)

Darklighter
26 August 2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
At the very bottom of the main HoloNet page Darklighter.

Thanks very much, FrobiWanKenobi! :)

Hmm. Now we only need to get a few more of those 'Guests' to register... :D

Reverend Strone
26 August 2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Deck
Well, I think this is due to numerous members with a double-existence. People who register more than one account. Such accounts are removed sometimes.

Yep. I had to laugh when a friend of mine pointed out to me one young holonetter who's user rating had taken a sharp jump upwards recently. When I checked out who'd voted for him, I was amused to find there were a bunch of folks who all had similar names to his and hadn't ever posted on the Holonet. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they were genuine users of course who had simply never bothered to post, but were overwhelmed by his maturity and impressive user-presence and felt compelled to vote him some 5s even if they never visited the holonet again. ;)

LOL!

Matt Richard
26 August 2002, 09:44 PM
Hey! Thats a great idea!!! I wonder how many variations of Matt Richard I could come up with....:D :D :D

Matthew R
M Richards
MR
Mateo Ricardo
Mateo Richard
Mateo Richards
Matt Ricardo
Matthew Ricardo...:D

Ravager_of_worlds
27 August 2002, 07:34 AM
Yep. I had to laugh when a friend of mine pointed out to me one young holonetter who's user rating had taken a sharp jump upwards recently. When I checked out who'd voted for him, I was amused to find there were a bunch of folks who all had similar names to his and hadn't ever posted on the Holonet. -Posted by Reverend Strone

Yes, and i've noticed people who use double identities to put "1"s to further abuse the rating system for people they didn't like. However, the more votes one has, the more 'secure' one's rating is. if one cared about it in the first place- but i find that i look at the rating and usually, ilt corresponds to the level of input and helpfulness of the poster.

My question is- if the double holonet identities don't post anything, does their rating dissappear? Or does that 'fade'? Perhaps a 'quota' number should be required in the system- needs 100 posts to vote or maintain a 1.0 posts per day average or something similar. that might cut down on people having double identities... or we can all continue to trust in the good work of our moderators to 'weed' out the clones.

Chris Curtis
27 August 2002, 08:40 AM
Well, I'll say that I think requiring a 1.0 post/day average isn't a good thing. Not everyone is able to do that, including lots of good members.

For instance, I only recently (last couple of months) broke above the 1.0 barrier. I've been a member of the HoloNet since before this incarnation -- and by that, I mean since before October 1999.

Also, there are lots of good members who are like me. They only post in a thread if they have something constructive to add to the discussion. Not posting pointless replies, "me too" answers, and other things like that (as an unfortunatel number of HoloNet members do) mean that we don't post as often as other members do.

Also, regarding the number of members... another reason that the member IDs are much higher than the member count is that Armage goes through the member list every once in a while and weeds out inactive members.

Reverend Strone
27 August 2002, 11:41 AM
My question is- if the double holonet identities don't post anything, does their rating dissappear? Or does that 'fade'? Perhaps a 'quota' number should be required in the system- needs 100 posts to vote or maintain a 1.0 posts per day average or something similar. that might cut down on people having double identities... or we can all continue to trust in the good work of our moderators to 'weed' out the clones.

Well, my vote would be against any kind of post-quota, for all the reasons Chris just outlined. Post rate doesn't reflect user-quality. Besudes which, I think our webmasters and Moderators do a fine job already. So there are some double identities out there- that's no big deal. They don't generally upset the system, so I think we can sustain things the way they are for now- of course, I don't know how much work sustaining the existing system actually is for our webmasters, so I could be incorrect in this assessment.

Wedge in Red2
27 August 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone

Yep. I had to laugh when a friend of mine pointed out to me one young holonetter who's user rating had taken a sharp jump upwards recently. When I checked out who'd voted for him, I was amused to find there were a bunch of folks who all had similar names to his and hadn't ever posted on the Holonet. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they were genuine users of course who had simply never bothered to post, but were overwhelmed by his maturity and impressive user-presence and felt compelled to vote him some 5s even if they never visited the holonet again. ;)

LOL!

Guilty as charged. I set up Biggs in Red3, Jek in Red6, and Luke in Red5.

Okay, no I didn't. But I am the one who pointed it out to Reverend Strone. Okay, yeah, I had too much time on my hands. But it makes you wonder when you give a user a strong rating (either a 1 or a 5) and yet their average is somehow remarkably close to the middle. As Ravager of Worlds said, there is a certain level of security in the number of votes, in that you know you'll need to tick off a whole bunch of people to get squished.

However, I will let the mysterious user I found with the symptoms Rev mentioned "remain safely anonymous", as Obi-Wan would say (no, it is not Leia, or any derivative of Leia ;)).

Jon

VixenofVenus
27 August 2002, 01:22 PM
It's very hard to get over 1.0/day posts ... at one point, Donovan Morningfire and I were getting about 5-10 per day and posting 30-40 messages in Rants and Raves and C&M threads (which is why C&M threads no longer count towards post counts) ... so we can still rant away!!!

I don't even look at a person's rating or their rank ... I look at their name and I almost always have either a positive, negative, or neutral thought associated with their name ... thats all I go on ... of course, I also read what they had to say ... sometimes dumb people have great ideas (and vice versa) :p

Even so ... back on topic ... Congrats to the HoloNet for growing so much ... even the D6ers should appreciate the D20 system for at least bringing new and fresh HoloNetters :)

Donovan Morningfire
27 August 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by VixenofVenus
It's very hard to get over 1.0/day posts ... at one point, Donovan Morningfire and I were getting about 5-10 per day and posting 30-40 messages in Rants and Raves and C&M threads (which is why C&M threads no longer count towards post counts) ... so we can still rant away!!!
Ah, those were the days. People chastised us for all the cyber-flirting that was going on. And you still talked to me in those days :D (kidding, Vix, kidding)

It is nice to see new blood coming in. I'm of the opinion that everyone deserves a fair chance to speak their mind. Most of the time, everybody's got something interesting to say or add. And hey, sometimes a fresh perspective on an old topic can make all the difference in the world. Granted, there are sour apples that show up from time to time, but they tend to either leave fairly quickly or chill out and get into the community spirit.

Also nice to see that this hasn't become a d20 only board. While d20 Star Wars is my poison of choice, I still have a soft spot in the cockles of my heart for d6 Star Wars, where the name Morningfire came to mean planets blowing up. (Long story, don't ask :D ) Besides, if it weren't for d6 Star Wars, the odds of seeing a d20 Star Wars would be well ... I won't quote you the odds ;)

OverLord
1 September 2002, 07:52 PM
I just noticed the site is now down to 3,010 members!!! :(
This is going the wrong way!!! :(

Hopefully this is just because Armage Bedar haven't deleted the unused and double memberships in a long time...

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
1 September 2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
Well, I'll say that I think requiring a 1.0 post/day average isn't a good thing.

I agree. I've been posting for about 2.5 years and have yet to crack 1.0 posts a day.

Nova Spice
2 September 2002, 06:38 AM
I've noticed that the member list goes up to around 3,040 or so, then drops back down to under 3,000? Its done this more than once and I suppose its just some sort of fedback system?

Anyway, I think its safe to say that the Holonet has well over 4,000 members, which is saying a lot! I love the fact that new members join daily, but I also love seeing some of the veteran members like Donovan, Vixen, Alfred, Reverend, Chris, Frobi, Matt, etc. around a lot too!

I don't even look at a person's rating or their rank ... I look at their name and I almost always have either a positive, negative, or neutral thought associated with their name

Same here Vixen. Its just become a natural habit to associate a name with a positive thought or negative or neither. Most of the time I give new members benefit of the doubt, since they are new and not well known yet, so I don't draw any conclusions from them until they've been on a while. But the cool thing is, there are hardly any members that I think negatively toward, which shows how great this place really is and has become. :D

Anyway, all I can say is that the Holonet is growing and thats all that matters. ;)

Matt Richard
2 September 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
Anyway, I think its safe to say that the Holonet has well over 4,000 members, which is saying a lot! I love the fact that new members join daily, but I also love seeing some of the veteran members like Donovan, Vixen, Alfred, Reverend, Chris, Frobi, Matt, etc. around a lot too!

HAHAHA!!! I would hardly call my self a veteran, Ive only been here since Feb of this year. Im still technically a rookie. But thanks anyway;) :D

Reverend Strone
2 September 2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

Originally posted by Matt Richard
HAHAHA!!! I would hardly call my self a veteran, Ive only been here since Feb of this year. Im still technically a rookie. But thanks anyway

Indeed, as Matt has said in the post above, having joined in February this very year, it's an honour to be considered a veteran, especially when counted among such prestigious company. I can only take that as a great compliment. Thank you Nova!

Nova Spice
4 September 2002, 07:30 PM
Indeed, as Matt has said in the post above, having joined in February this very year, it's an honour to be considered a veteran, especially when counted among such prestigious company. I can only take that as a great compliment. Thank you Nova!

No problem Reverend, Matt. When I said veteran, I wasn't just insinuating membership time; I was thinking more along the lines of what high-quality people you two are and how much you two do for the community. In my mind, and I am sure in many folks minds, that certainly counts for something. You guys, along with many of the others mentioned are some of the people I, along with many others, respect on the boards.

I'm sure many of the newcomers will become as respected as you guys, if they are not already. I find myself reading posts by new members and thinking how thought-provoking they are, all the time. The Holonet truly is growing and that only strengthens the community. ;)

AxiustheDark
5 September 2002, 08:48 AM
Not only do I want to congratulate this board, but also all of the members who make it great.

Yes, every time I see a well written and well thought out post by the likes of Matt, Frobi, Reverend Strone, and Donovan; I as a younger member of the board am encouraged to ensure that my posts are of the highest quality. There have been times now where I was going to post, then realized that I wasn't quite sure what the books said exactly , so I spent the time to look it up. It is all of the regulars out there, the ones who care about helping others that make this board worthwhile. Hopefully, like the aformentioned people above, the day will come where my comments are at that level.