PDA

View Full Version : New Menu System

Armage Bedar
28 July 2002, 08:28 AM
Because of incompatibilities with Netscape 4 and other third-party browsers, I've replaced the menu system with one that *should* work with all of the major browsers out there, from Opera to Netscape to Mozilla to IE. You shouldn't notice much of a difference -- some of the options have changed, for clarity's sake, but I'm hoping this will allow more people to view and access the site.

If you still cannot see the menu bar, or notice glitches, post them here.

evan hansen
28 July 2002, 05:16 PM
Whoo! One of the few things that kept me off this board until a few months back. :-) As always, well done.

Vanger Chevane
29 July 2002, 10:14 PM
I can't see my own rank or signature. Been tested with both IE & Netscape, third-party tested with IE.

The Profile editor for that function fails as well. It thanks me for changing it, yet completely fails to make the change.

My Profile has now reverted back to level one, all of this without my doing anything other than trying to set the rank back the way it was.

Y'all need to muzzle the profile handler to stop making unasked-for changes, and kick so it does make the ones i ask it for.

WTF is going on here?

Edit: Checked the two using "1000 ways to be an Evil GM" #163 & #165. The old profile shows userid=4005, the new one userid=4004

Somehow the upgrade shafted my userid, please add one to the other, & kill the inactive one, thx. How the system managed to duplicate my entire profile, less the rank & points and with a new userid one less than the current one, I've no idea...I just feel sorry for the original User#4004, whose account has been totally overwritten.

BTW, the menu is a garbled, unusable mess under NS 4.x...

Armage Bedar
30 July 2002, 06:15 AM
Somehow you managed to create two accounts, Vanger -- which could easily have resulted from a server hiccup. Fortunately, you didn't overwrite anyone else (which is impossible). Your problem probably was that every time you accessed your profile, you were accessing the "wrong" user. Again, an odd and rare occurrence, but you should be set now (though many of your old posts will read as "Guest").

And yes, I've found out that NS4 does not like the menu, still. I've given up with it, since the menu clearly is supposed to work with NS4 -- but anyone who isn't using IE, Mozilla, or NS6 at the very least by now will have to cope. It's not worth my time as a hobbyist trying to fix it.

Thanks, and keep the comments coming!

Vanger Chevane
30 July 2002, 02:02 PM
Ummm...I appreciate the attempt, but it looks like you deleted the good account (4005).

All posts I had made prior to 25 July 2002 09:14 PM, which I presume is after the system charfed, are now completely deleted! Am also missing posts between then and 28 July 2002 04:20 PM. I hope you have a backup copy. :mad:

I did not create a new account with a lower userid #. The system did that all-by-its-little-self. The decremented Userid is highly indicative of a system, not user, error as there's no way I could tell your server "Userid-=1". :raised:

My current userid (4004) is still not working, and I've lost everything prior to the screwup. (2 levels, buncha points) Will I be forced to create a totally new account to get around the 2 botched-by-the-system accounts? :(

Is there any way you can fix this without a loss? Is it unreasonable to expect Admin the replace what the system has thoroughly botched? Or do I need to have Both accounts totally wiped out so that any new account I create will behave properly despite the loss of any status, and anything I had to say prior to the screwup? :?

The situation is getting progressively worse. At this rate, I won't exist at all within the month.

Rouge8
31 July 2002, 06:39 AM
It works fine for me.

Moridin
31 July 2002, 08:42 AM
You know, Vanger, you're getting progressively more rude as each post and e-mail is read. In fact, you do an awful lot of griping on a message board that we provide for free on a server we pay for out of our own pockets. I hate to have to play my money card, but I'd really appreciate it if you started being more considerate and less snappish over something as trivial as your post count or anything like that. We want to have you on these boards, but if you really hate the problems so much then by all means go elsewhere.

Armage busts his ass to get this site working right, and if an occasional programming error causes the account registration software to mess up, then I don't think it's any cause to be mean or rude to him . When Armage said "you managed to create two accounts" what he means was not that you maliciously put a lower UserID number on your, but rather that perhaps you had to hit submit twice and the second UID was the one you'd been using. But, perhaps for the sake of accurate UIDs, the second UID was the one deleted. It happens, man. Sorry.

Also, you say your current UID isn't working...but how, then, are you posting?

I suggest you calm down and realize that while we want to help you out, being rude about it is no way to get on our good sides. And as any user knows, you be nice to the SysAdmins or you won't get no candy.

Armage Bedar
31 July 2002, 09:45 AM
"Ummm...I appreciate the attempt, but it looks like you deleted the good account (4005)."

I hope not -- I examined both, and one account had 22 posts, the other had 8. I combined the two (though I forgot to add the post counts together -- that should be fixed now). As for your actual posts, I checked again and all but eight have been deleted. I am *really* sorry about that, since that is *NOT* what I had intended the script to do. We do not have a backup of your posts, either -- they're simply lost to the ether. If it makes you feel any better, I've accounted for your lost posts in your post count.

Again, I'm quite sorry. This has happened before, albeit rarely, to a few people, myself included.

"I did not create a new account with a lower userid #. The system did that all-by-its-little-self. The decremented Userid is highly indicative of a system, not user, error as there's no way I could tell your server "Userid-=1"."

I know it did, and I said that in my first response. Our server has been known to act up and generally eat data. It sucks, I know, but it can't be helped. We *do* try and make backups to prevent huge data losses, but a relatively minor error with a single user is not enough for us to peel back the entire database by two weeks.

"My current userid (4004) is still not working, and I've lost everything prior to the screwup. (2 levels, buncha points) Will I be forced to create a totally new account to get around the 2 botched-by-the-system accounts? :("

How isn't it working? You're posting with it right now -- the 4005 account no longer exists.

If you continue to have trouble, it might be best if you emailed me, since this is a specific problem and not all that related to the subject of the new menu system. Thanks, and I apologize once more for the problems.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
31 July 2002, 05:15 PM
Is it just me or is the menu gone?

Armage Bedar
31 July 2002, 05:23 PM
Correction: *was*. The menu *was* gone -- but I brought it back :-) I was uploading some files to the HoloNet directories and removed the menu temporarily. Should be hunky-dory now.

Wedge in Red2
31 July 2002, 05:26 PM
It's not just you. I've got my top right menus (SWRPGNetwork, Conversions, Submissions, Holonet) but not my top left menus (Profile, members list, FAQ etc.).

Jon

[Edit note: Armage is correct, it is now back...]

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
31 July 2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks Armage, just trying to keep you in the know.

Vanger Chevane
3 August 2002, 08:43 AM
Armage,

I was wrong in posting while in a foul mood and for making presumptions based on only what I could see.

For that I do sincerely apologise.

I do not expect miracles or overnight fixes. I know how much of a hassle Admin can be. I also respect hearing something like "You've stumbled into a tricky problem to solve. It'll take some time to fix properly, but we are working on it" from Admin as opposed to silence or a quick band-aid job.

Were Mistakes made on both sides, yes. Do we need to start a flamewar, absolutely not. It's been my experience that nobody wins any sort of flamewar, but people almost always get hurt by them, one way or another. What's lost might be replacebale by another member, but unless they decide to repost that nfo, there's not much point in screaming bout it.

If you want to go over what happend in a reasonable fashion to identify what could be some serious system issues, and some minor ones as well, let me know. Will PM you with some info on what's not IMHO behaving.

Originally posted by Moridin
And as any user knows, you be nice to the SysAdmins or you won't get no candy.

I doubt this is what you really want to say as it can easily be misinterpreted, especially by those with no idea of what being an Admin is like, as "Kiss my butt or be ignored". I believe you wanted to say something more like "Work with the system, the system will work with you."

Matt Richard
3 August 2002, 04:09 PM
Um, I dont know if this has to do with the new menu system or not, but those vb buttons in the "post message interface" dont work. They just kinda do nothing. Just thought Id let you know, but beyond that, great job!

Nova Spice
3 August 2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
I doubt this is what you really want to say as it can easily be misinterpreted, especially by those with no idea of what being an Admin is like, as "Kiss my butt or be ignored". I believe you wanted to say something more like "Work with the system, the system will work with you."

Hehe, well after being on the boards for quite some time, I can vouch for Moridin in that he means what he says. ;) I didn't find his comment out of line at all. The staff here at the SWRPGNetwork and the Holonet are incredibly helpful, friendly, and selfless. They keep this site running out of their own pockets and go out of their way to help others.

I for one, think they are under-appreciated and if I was a SysAdmin, it would get under my skin a bit too when folks complained about charity.

Just keep it cool and keep it in line and you will be able to enjoy the boards for eveything they are Vanger. ;)

SNiPE
22 August 2002, 12:38 PM
just saw this thread, and i'd like to note that my top left toolbar thingy is gone only the right one with the links to swrpgnetwork, conversions, submissions, and the holonetforum are still there?? is there something i can do to bring it back. i am using IE 6.0.2600

Wedge in Red2
28 August 2002, 12:01 PM
Hi,

Just thought I'd chip in here. I notice that the Preferences menu has been updated to now include an option to take you straight to your PM's (it used to be just profile, member list and FAQ). This is very useful, thanks! It cuts a step out in my navigation (used to have to go from holonet to user control panel to PM's, now I can just go straight there).

I really appreciate the fact that you guys take the time to constantly improve the service you're delivering (and for free, none the less!). Thank you :).

Jon

Armage Bedar
1 September 2002, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I occasionally make small changes to the site if I notice them and feel like changing them -- it's my hope that people who normally use the site and need these little changes find that their experience has improved just a bit :-)

VixenofVenus
1 September 2002, 01:16 PM
ARMAGE ... YOU MADE MY START MENU DISSAPPEAR!!

Thankyou very much ... hehehehehe

Wedge in Red2
10 September 2002, 06:06 AM
Howdy all,

It may just be the change of scenery (I'm in an Internet cafe in London), but I no longer have my left hand side menu's (the ones that let you go to your usercp and edit your profile, all that nice stuff).

Is it just me, or are others having the same problem.

For the technical readout, I'm using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 (by all accounts).

Any clarifcation on this situation is appreciated :).

Thanks,

Jon