PDA

View Full Version : The Force & how to use it...

IvinesK
29 July 2002, 08:36 AM
If there is anything in the d20 Star Wars Roleplaying Game I don't understand, it's the force points. At least how to use them anyways.

Here's what I do know:

1) I know how you can get Force Points.
2) I know how you can get Dark Side Points.
3) I know how you can use Force Points to get rid of Dark Side Points.
4) I know non-Force Users can have only a maximum of 5 Force Points while those with the Force-Sensitive Feat have no limit.
5) I know how you can use Force Points to give a Player a Bonus Dice to any d20 rolls made in a round.

Here's what I don't know:

1) I don't know the limit to Force Points. Once used, is it gone or do force points stay there? Is there a limit to times per day? I've read that "only 1 force point may be spent in a round." So, does that mean they could use it in every round? That sounds too overpowering to me. And if Force Points stay, why have more than 1 anways, when you can only use 1 Force Point per round?

2) How do non-Force users use Force Points when they don't make a "declaration" of wether they're going to use the Force Points?

I have more questions about how to use the Force, but I can't come up with them right now. I'll ask them when I remember or when I get more information from the questions mentioned above. Thanks!

Ravager_of_worlds
29 July 2002, 09:16 AM
to answer your question, from one gm to another in d20 universe-

question 1:
Answer 1: Force points are spent. once gone, el finito! no more force point. Gone.

However, you can 'get' your force point back by using the point in a heroic function- like Luke would cash in a force point when firing his proton torpedos into the death star shaft. He would have got it back. You can also gain force points at each level, 2 each level if dark (you get another dark side point) or by doing heroic actions (however, if dark, no force point, just lose 1 DSP). When a force point is used to take away a DSP, that force point is anihilated. think of it like matter and antimatter, except no destroyed character. :)

Question 2:
Answer 2: Non-force users have force points in d20. they use the non-force sensitive bar with a max at 20th level at, like, 3d6 or 4d6. can't remember. but non-force users can declare to use a force point- the force is all around us. Think of force users as having the base ability of force points magnified depending on the light or dark.

How these work in d6, i have not a clue.

IvinesK
29 July 2002, 10:33 AM
"El Finito!" That was a nice touch. Thanks. I know about how to get them back (See #1 on what I do know). I was unsure if "spent" meant taken away or if it just meant used. So, thanks on that one.

As for answering my 2nd question, I'm not quite sure you did. But I think that's my fault. I should've asked, "How do non-Force Users declare wether they're going to use a FP/DSP?"

I do have an extra question: When you use a DSP, do you gain yet another DSP instead of losing 1 or what?

Thank you though, it's greatly appreciated. So, to everyone else out there, is he right? Or wrong? Or do you do yours differently? If so, how?

Lord Diggori
29 July 2002, 12:57 PM
To answer the first part of question #2: Out of character the player just decides to use a force point and declares it. In character you could say, "You (PC) concentrate in a state of absolute oneness with your objective..." then detail how aspects of their chosen act are super sharp and near super-human.

DSP cant be spent though. They're just a tally of how far gone a character is. I still hear my players say, "Burn a Darkside point." which is inaccurate. I think they should refer to DSP as something else to avoid confusion, like Darks or something.

Jedi_Staailis
29 July 2002, 01:35 PM
Just a minor bit of clarification. As Lord Diggori said, you can't use Dark Side points to enhance your rolls (like you can with Force points). Some of the confusion seems to stem from the tables of bonuses provided from Force Points (page 180 of the RCRB ). All three columns are for the use of Force Points. Non-Force Sensitive characters use the first column only. When they use a Force point, their bonus is derived from the table. Force Sensitive characters use the other two columns. When a light or tained (see page 182) Force using character uses a Force point, the character may call on either the light or dark side, providing the bonus listed in the respective table. Calling on the dark side gives the character a dark side point, but the bonus from the Force point is higher at lower levels. Dark side characters automatically call upon the dark side. I would assume that they still gain dark side points, but whether they do or not is completely irrelevant, they can't atone (see page 182).

IvinesK
29 July 2002, 10:53 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me Jedi Staailis.
Thanks for confusing me Lord Diggori.

Lord Diggori
30 July 2002, 01:53 PM
You're very welcome.

LiquidSaber
30 July 2002, 06:36 PM
*Chuckle* at Lord Diggori

Bombaatu
30 July 2002, 07:17 PM
I *believe* in D6 that DSPs could be spent like Force Points (not sure, tho). In D20, they are only a measure of how dark a character is - they cannot be spent for anything.

Grimace
30 July 2002, 07:27 PM
No, Bombaatu, in D6 the DSPs could not be used like Force Points. There were essentially only two uses for DSPs in D6, and those were: To guage how evil a person was, akin to D20, and to indicate when a person fell to the Dark Side (and, originally, lost their character to the GM).

Bombaatu
31 July 2002, 06:17 AM
Ah, ok - thought I had heard that somewhere. Never played the D6 version...