PDA

View Full Version : A Tide of Darkness (My new campaign)

Eudaimic
29 July 2002, 09:45 AM
Right, as I told some of you guys about a week ago, I have just kickstarted a campaign in Star Wars. The opportunity to run the game came much sooner than I had anticipated, and so I had to just jump in and hope the force was with me :)

I did my best to get up to date with my newly purchased RCR and then laid out a very very loose, almost non-existant plotline for my players to follow. The point of the game was primarily to get aquainted with the rules and to get the group up and running.

Using a laptop and Okina-rdae (what does that mean anyway?) we started making the characters... and kept on making them... and kept on ... and ... you get the point. Making the characters took an ungodly amount of time, mostly because we were all a bit new in the SW system, and a lot of feats and skills had to be double checked...

Originally I wanted to make the characters for the players, and I'm pretty sure that I'll do that next time just so I can work some proper relationships and background into them. At least that's the way we usually do it in my group...

Anyway, the group wanted to try out the darkside, and I figured... what the hell and let them do that. With the exception of the Dark Jedi Apprentice, they're all 9th level, including a noble trader, a pilot (with +19 in PILOT but a stock YT-1300 transport which we'll get back to shortly), a dark marauder filling in as bodyguard for the noble, two dark jedi and a Bothan soldier.

I started them out on Coruscant where one of the nobles contacts asked them to get some information to Nar Shadaa for him. The information is the location of large parts of the republic fleet, wanted by certain elements in Hut Space because the Republic has gone in and secured certain trade routes from being closed down by the seperatists (we're playing in Rise of the Empire). The noble, pilot and dar marauder are a seperate group being hired and the rest are being brought in by the employer.

Anyways, long story short, they get together and go to pick up the information on the other side of Coruscant, here they meet a guy who has killed their contact and is currently searching through the apartment for the information. Combat insues and just as he tries to escape through the window, a jedi pulls him back in with Move Object.... damn :)

They kill him, get the info and move to their ship. They ask for clearance for take off, but are told to wait for a boarding party. They board, search, find nothing and leave again. Now they take off.

Once in orbit the pilot makes a bogus hyberspace jump to fool anyone stalking them. Unfortunatly he forgot to tell me that he took 20 (and I forgot it too :)), so he ends up in a Republic blockade, battle ensues. And suddenly we all understood what kind of modifications Solo must've made to the Falcon, cuz DAMN they were shredded. I used Tie's to engage them, and although they were only hit once, they were hit for 79 points!! Giving them sensor failure and one damaged hull! Just as the destroyer was closing in on them, readying it's tractor beam they made a jump and finally got to Hut Space.

Now I knew virtually nothing about Nar Shadaa, except for what I've picked up here and there, so I mistakenly assumed it was a planet (when in fact it is a moon). Either way, they landed and went to see the guy they had to deliver the info to. However they soon found out that they were being followed. After a healthy bunch of hide and spot rolls, combat ensued once more (:D) and this is about where we had to stop.

Now here's the meat and potatoes of the post. My questions.

How fast can a jedi move objects with the move object skill?

Where do you get astrogation data? Holonet I guess, but where and how do you access that? And what else can you use the holonet for?

What if you mis-jump? Do you use Knowledge (Astronomy) to figure out where you are, or Astrogate?

How the hell does movement in space work? Can you move max one round and then stop the next?

How do you guys use planets in spacecombat?

Any good hit-location rules and critical tables out there? Perhaps some D&D ones that can be converted? I'll look myself, but if someone has something cool...

What about vehicle hit-locations?

Overall things went well. I was definetly too unprepared, didn't have any cool NPC's ready, didn't know much about Nar Shadaa (or indeed a LOT of planets, which makes me annoyed that there isn't a proper planet book out or something). There were some "how does that work" things once in a while, but it wasn't too bad. Worst part was probably the space parts...

I've heard that SW Gamer #8 has an updated combat system. Does anyone have a scan of that, because I can't get it where I live :( (Denmark)

Eudaimic
29 July 2002, 09:49 AM
A couple of things I forgot. How do you guys handle stun grenades? The RCR doesn't say anything about the duration of the stun :?

Also, where do you guys get grids and miniatures from? Are there even proper SW miniatures out there? I think I remember that there once was, but I can't find anything at my local stores :(

Also, can anyone spot a problem with dividing the combat rounds of space combat into two. Movement and Attack. That way you can't unrealistically move in and attack on a freighter that has the same movement as you and that is trying to escape.

Jaggard
29 July 2002, 10:07 AM
They're not rpg books but find The Essential guide to... (planets, tech, droids, vehicles, characters, ect.) They'll fill in alot of those lttle things like races origins and tech level, planets and moons and asteroids location name and populace. That and the ST wars encyclopedia (which doesn't have any prequal stuff and doesn't have an index or cross referencing).
actually the space combat system your talking about first had the rules appear in an earlier gamer. You might be able to find those rules on the wizards of the coast site archives still.

Eudaimic
29 July 2002, 10:15 AM
I've got the Encyclopedia, but it's in Scotland (where I study) :( So are my Inside Episode 1 and Behind the Magic CD-Roms :| (BTW, is there an Episode 2 CD-Rom coming out?).

I'll definetly be looking for the other books though. Who makes them?

LiquidSaber
31 July 2002, 05:12 AM
You may just want to start over again and have everyone take 1st level characters there buddy. Be a whole heck of a lot easier on the bunch of ya, waht with learning the new system and all. Lol no wonder it took you guys sooo long to create characters...they're all 9th level *gasp* with being new to the system it's better to go more gradual...

Eudaimic
31 July 2002, 08:06 AM
1st level is, and pardon my french here, for pussies :)

Sure it's fun to see your character grow from 1st to 20th, but we've all played RPG's for 13+ years, we've played our fair share of "please don't touch me, I wasn't looking at you"-characters.

Besides everyone knows the D20 system, it's not so much therein the problem lies. The problem is that most of these people like to do what they call "concept-optimization" of hteir characters. What that means is if you're creating a pilot, then EVERYTHING is 100% rigged to make the pilot the baddest ass in known space.

That includes obviously a lot of looking at the different races, classes, skills and feats.

One guy just said 'F*ck it" and made his character in less than 15 minutes, others took 1 hour.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm halting that campaign, reordering some things and then I'll make all new characters for the players. Overall that seems to work best in our group.

BTW, in regards to the space system. Can anyone resolve the whole movement thing for me? I've read over the starship system several times, and I just do not get it! :( Can you go from no speed to ramming speed without a hitch? Or is there a system for accellerating?

incantator
31 July 2002, 09:04 AM
As far as the movement system goes, there is no specification detailing whether you can be moving at docking speed one moment and at ramming speed the next. I would probably rule that capital ships and transports can only change their speed by one catagory (ramming to attacking or docking to cruising) and starfighters can change their speed by two catagories due to their better acceleration/deceleration capabilities.

Ravager_of_worlds
31 July 2002, 09:21 AM
the other problem with 'advanced' level characters to start with is... story plausibility. Why did a bunch of 9th level characters decide to work together? What kind of pasts do they have- how are they linked? Close knit groups work out great with a group history known by all players- their memories of past stories help the suspension of disbelief in most cases. Inner group dynamics can be started at 1st or 2nd level a lot better than at 9th level. at 1st and 2nd, the goal is survival, and often survival has the strongest bond possible for a group of people.

Eudaimic
31 July 2002, 12:51 PM
I agree, the problem is though that I only have 1 month before I'm going back to Scotland to study so we have to get it off the ground.

And although it's not quite as exhaustive, we'vebecome pretty adept at throwing things together :)

Eudaimic
31 July 2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by incantator
As far as the movement system goes, there is no specification detailing whether you can be moving at docking speed one moment and at ramming speed the next. I would probably rule that capital ships and transports can only change their speed by one catagory (ramming to attacking or docking to cruising) and starfighters can change their speed by two catagories due to their better acceleration/deceleration capabilities. *

That's exactly what I've been thinking.-

Wedge in Red2
1 August 2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Eudaimic

How fast can a jedi move objects with the move object skill?

I think it's 10 meters per round. I don't have my RCR with me, but I'm fairly sure it says how far under the Move Object skill.

Where do you get astrogation data? Holonet I guess, but where and how do you access that? And what else can you use the holonet for?

Yes, you can get astrogation data from the Holonet, in fact it's recommended. Otherwise you've got old data, and it adds to your difficulty and random hazard rolls. As for where and how to access the holonet, that's a good question. I think most ships would be capable, and there'd be a lot of computer ports about which would allow access. Computer Use rolls are required. And just about any info is available, depending on how good a Computer Use roll you get.

What if you mis-jump? Do you use Knowledge (Astronomy) to figure out where you are, or Astrogate?

Astrogate, IIRC.

How the hell does movement in space work? Can you move max one round and then stop the next?

Effectively, yes. However the pilot would need to use a move action and choose to stop the ship: if you just leave it going, it will move the same speed as the previous round.

How do you guys use planets in spacecombat?

Um, generally I don't. They're just too big. Given each square is meant to be 500 meters by 500 meters, a planet is going to be huge. If I was going to use one at all, I'd have a straight line which indicates where the atmosphere starts. Once they hit that line, they use their atmosphere speeds instead, and airspeeders could fly up to that height...

Any good hit-location rules and critical tables out there? Perhaps some D&D ones that can be converted? I'll look myself, but if someone has something cool...

Star Wars Gamer #4 had some for personal combat. For copyright reasons I can't reprint them, unfortunately :(. I didn't think they were that good anyway...

Anyway, I hope some of my answers help. Good luck with your next session :)!

Jon