PDA

View Full Version : Refugee Ships

cdtatro
31 July 2002, 07:40 AM
I need a ship that can carry a large number of refugees being evacuated from a planet due to an eco-disaster. I'd like to be able to carry 15-20,000 at a time - more would be better, and if I have to use a couple of smaller ships that wouldn't be the end of the world. They don't have to be comfortable - just load the people in and carry them to their new world. The Acclamators carry 15K troops so I suppose they could suffice in a pinch. Whatever it is, either the ship has to be able to enter an atmosphere and land, or I need to deal with shuttling all those people to orbit, which I'd rather not do.

Anyone know what the refugee ship Anakin and Padme take from Coruscant to Naboo is, or have any details on its capacity (and what the heck were refugees doing going from Coruscant to Naboo anyway? Does Coruscant ship all its homeless to the Outer Rim?)

I'm looking for Rebellion era, and it would be the Imperials using these ships. But they could certainly hire/comandeer independant ships or use something very very old.

Thanks,
Chris

The Admiral
31 July 2002, 08:24 AM
Those ships carry less than a thousand passengers, so they'd not be much use.

There are two reasons why people are leaving Coruscant;

1: People know full well it'll be one of the first targets in a war.
2: Refugees pass through major traffic centres as a matter of course. Anakin and Padme are posing as refugees from the Thousand Moons system, travelling from Thousand Moons to Naboo via Coruscant. Coruscant is going to be a major traffic node, so it wouldn't be uncommon for it to be a location for refugees passing through.

A suitable transport for the Classic Era? Possibly converted Essex troop carriers. If you're after stats, I'd suggest asking in the relevant forum.

Ravager_of_worlds
31 July 2002, 08:35 AM
another possibility is the Gallafree Yards Transport freighter- if that is too rebellion specific, then i'd suggest inventing the precursor; no starship design is 'brand new' unless it says so in the description. Most starships are descendents of earlier concepts and design lines.

the Gallofree Yards Transport is in the SotG in the transport section- essentially, the "rebel transports" in Ep V.

The Admiral
31 July 2002, 08:38 AM
The Gallofree can't move anything like the number of passengers CD Tatro outlined. They're less than a hundred meters long.

Ravager_of_worlds
31 July 2002, 09:02 AM
more would be better, and if I have to use a couple of smaller ships that wouldn't be the end of the world.- cdtatro

well, i suppose an enterprising captain, in a pinch, can convert some of that 19,000 metric ton cargo space to carry personnel. get some emergency life support recyclers and huge air tanks. the rebellion did it with Hoth Base, though i don't think they had 15-20k in personnel.

but the very nature of space travel would almost require giant capital ships.

are ithorian herdships able to land? If so, then something of this order might be used... or whoever manufactures teh herdships might have something else on the line.

cdtatro
31 July 2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by The Admiral
A suitable transport for the Classic Era? Possibly converted Essex troop carriers. If you're after stats, I'd suggest asking in the relevant forum.

Nope. Just looking for names to see if such a thing exists before I go making something up. I don't expect the refugee ship will become involved in starship combat (which of course means that my players will try making the Kessel Run in it while being pursued by a Star Destroyer group...) so I don't foresee the need for stats.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go check out the Essex. I'm also intrigued with a Container Ship (http://conversions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=712). Have to look for pics of both.

Thanks again,

Chris

Korpil
31 July 2002, 09:44 AM
I'd also use Kuat as another traffic point... maybe at a larger degree than Coruscant

cdtatro
31 July 2002, 09:56 AM
Oops. My researches have revealed that Container Ships can't land. So much for that.

Found some stuff on the Essex at starwars-rpg.net. Sweet Christmas, that's a nasty little piece of work! 96K troops! That should more than adequately suffice, I should think. Maybe even too big. But heck, I guess if you have to evacuate a chunk of a planet, you use whatever ship is available.

Chris

Jedi_Ace
5 August 2002, 01:19 PM
perhaps a nebulon b frigate, a correlian corvette,or their modified types as seen in tie fighter

Deck
5 August 2002, 01:55 PM
I doubt that any mid-sized vessel could easily be modified to transport such a large amount of passengers. Of course every large battleship such as an Imperial Star Destroyer for example would be able to transport them all. But, I don't think that the governments can afford sending their battleships to evacuation missions. Yet, there are some possibilities: :) For example a Mon Calamari Evacuation Carrier which carries 75,000 - 150,000 passengers. A Liberation-class troopship could also be helpful (~ 100,000 passengers). :)

Zanus
6 August 2002, 10:50 AM
one possibility that has RL history is the comodiering of luxury liners. During both world wars many of the luxury liners of the day where used by whatever nation the ships happened to be nearest as troop ships, medical ships, and whatever other purposes where needed. Since SW is a big galaxy, it would be quite easy to have a luxury space liner or two be near the world you have being evacuated and simply used to transport the refugees. at least one NJO book mentions an old liner used in a similar capacity (and that others where being used too, but this one was by name).

Anyway, just something to consider. Those things can carry ALOT of people when properly set up. those big rooms could hold entire families and friends. Only problem is that most are not set up for landing on a planet, the refugees would have to be shuttled up.

Another possibility is instead of one or two big ships, have alot of smaller ships. That tends to be a bit more realistic when you are talking about evacuating an entire planet. Several smaller ships can be scent all over the planet to pick up people locally, instead of trying to move everyone to one or two locations for boarding.