PDA

View Full Version : Traitor Reviews (Spoilers)

Talonne Hauk
1 August 2002, 06:37 AM
I finished reading it last night, and I must say; WOW.
If you didn't like the NJO before, this book certainly won't turn your opinion around. But if you do like the NJO, this book is a major milestone, and worth getting.
In fact, I would go as far to say that this book alters the entire perception of Star Wars, in that it makes you look at the Force in an entirely new way.
Obviously Jacen Solo is going to head the New Jedi Order when Luke steps down, unless the other Jedi's decide not to rally around him. Which could happen, considering their previous misgivings concerning him. But I think he is now more powerful than Luke.
I also think that this new approach to the Force may be problematic in a game sense. Before there was a clear delineation with the Light and Dark sides of the Force, and what powers and actions were specific to each. Now, with the Unified Force Theory, it's all muddled.
I definitely think the tide has turned in our heroes favor, though.
What do you all think?

Nova Spice
1 August 2002, 07:16 AM
I started a thread in the Rumors and Speculations Forum on some of the revelations in Traitor about the new way to perceive the Force, sensing the Vong with the Force, and of course the death of a beloved Jedi Knight...

My review on the novel would concur with Talonne in that this book CHANGES Star Wars. I loved it and consider it a real high-quality book as far as its content on the Force. It isn't too action packed, but its links to the Star Wars we know makes up for it.

I thought one of the coolest moments in the book is when Jacen tells Vergere that his grandfather, Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. Vergere's reaction was genuine surprise and it confirms to those that didn't believe the Vergere from Rogue Planet is the Vergere of the NJO, that she really is the same avian.

When they stumbled upon the old Jedi Temple, I thought that was really linking the NJO to the prequels, which I think was needed.

And without a doubt, besides one Jedi's sacrifice in the book, the most powerful moment to me was when Anakin's ghost talked with Jacen. I dont think it was Vergere, I truly think that Anakin was pulling an Obi-Wan.

Thats my two cents, all in all, I give this novel two thumbs up. :D

phoenixbrose
1 August 2002, 11:38 AM
I was also in shock with some of the revelations in this book. Jacen's way of "teaching" the Yuuzhan Vong will make for interesting things in the upcoming novels.

Vergere's reaction to the news that Anakin Skywalker became a Lord of the Sith was priceless. It shattered the facade she has been wearing for so long and showed us who she truly is.

The Unifying Force theory left my jaw standing open as I realized how much sense that made. I was a bit disappointed with the explanation of why the Vong can't be seen in the Force, but hope it will get explored further in a later novel.

Corr Terek
1 August 2002, 12:02 PM
I have just one question: is Traitor a hardcover or softcover book? I have been unable to by Star by Star because it's STILL in hardcover, so I'd kinda like to get the next book down the line

Talonne Hauk
1 August 2002, 01:35 PM
Traitor is a softcover. It's unfortunate that you're perusing this thread if you haven't read it yet, because we have discussed some major plot points of the book. I think you'll still enjoy it, though, but a lot of the mystery will have been lost to you.

The_Avatar
1 August 2002, 10:54 PM
Could someone explain this Unifying Force thing to me (in spoiler tags, obviously). I know I'm being nosy, but it all sounds rather interesting. The more detail the better. licks chops...

wolverine
3 August 2002, 04:40 AM
I finished it in a marathon reading session. And i must sauy i was disappointed...

With the autrhors way ofwriting. It left me wayy confused at several points. And with his 'screwing around with the meaning of the force...

There was also many points in the book, i was just wishing a death star or sun crusher would show up and blast the planet to smitherines, killing both jacen and vergree.....

THe only flare of brightness, was in ganers sacrifice.........

Darth Jerrod
4 August 2002, 09:49 AM
the Force being neither light or dark?

that kinda ruins the Force mythos IMO.

It makes it now like, Anakin Skywalker was gonna turn bad no matter what cause he had evil in him.

It is the person who makes light or dark is a crock.

while the book was a good read as soon as he got too the unifying force deal it kinda took a nose dive. I kept thinking through the whole rest of the book how this just makes me less of a fan of the NJO series.

I had felt that the Jedi way of thinking or the way Luke was trained limited the new jedi's way of percieving the force. That was in my opinion why they failed to see the vong. The essentially must unlearn what they have learned too see things clearer.

I also dont like the way Jacen just became a madman with the darkside coursing through him and having him just slaughter for slaughter sake. It was as if the writer did not understand the darkside other than, some bad people used it during the empire and they were called Sith and they killed and mamed and laughed while they did it.

His handeling of the darkside was poor. It gave me a poor opinion of his ability to write a star wars novel

Mjolner
6 August 2002, 07:10 AM
I'm not really sure if I like the whole "Unifying Force" deal, but I'll make up my mind later on in the series. I see it as a possibility that Vergere is influencing Jacen to THINK the Force is without a dark side, so he will turn more easily.

As for Jacen's slaughtering people with the dark side, I didn't mind that at all. I guess I saw it as his release of confusion, pain, anger, fear and other dark side related emotions. He kind of had a light side version of that when he saved his mother on Duros, if I remember correctly. It wasn't the same, but he DID just let himself be guided by the Force that time too...it's just on Coruscant he gave in to the dark side instead.

strensk
7 August 2002, 05:54 AM
As usual I devoured the book in near record time, and must say I was intrigued to say the least.

The fact the Vergere sees the force in that light is interesting. I think this is one of those "point of view" things. Not having a light and a dark side seem to just blur and somewhat destroy the sacrifices made by many to combat Sith, and Dark Jedi. Or even the sacrifices made by Anakin Skywalker to stop the Emperor.

If there is no light, or dark side then everything the Jedi have taught, or been taught is a lie. I find it very difficult to believe that someone as intuitive, and wise as Yoda would be so easily duped.

I think that Jacen was manipulated to see what Vergere wanted him to see, and he was brainwashed to an extent to think the way she does.

A good book, really sets the stage for interesting stuff to happen.

Tanick
10 August 2002, 08:48 AM
Regarding Vergere's thoughts and everything the Jedi have taught and been taught being a lie:

Well, that was kind of the whole point of the book, wasn't it. As Vergere's taught it, and Jacen now sees it, *everything* is a lie. The quote in my signature is one of my favorite all purpose quotes to date. I honestly think that this was the best Star Wars book I've ever read, and possibly one of the best books in general I've read. It has quite a lot of philosphical and ethical merit in it, along with a few thoughts about the importance of growing up, if you look beyond the Star Wars plot.

But hey...don't listen to me. Everything I tell you is a lie...

Grim Fantango
18 August 2002, 06:47 PM
Alright, I'm going to go against the grain and argue the "Unifying Force" theory, cause if everybody is on one side of the arguement, than it pretty much sucks...

Anyways, the whole force as one does make sense because:

1. The dark side is not stronger, but the light side has never been refered to as stronger than dark, it's just assumed.

2. If there were two sides to it, then they would not be able to interact with each other, the way it's defined before this book is that it's the "Left" or the "Right". Now, we can see that the reason that they could interact is cause they are one in the same.

3. It shows that the dark side can't control you, only your anger, hatred, and malice.(don't try and bring up the Jedi Academy thing with Kyp, he was a disgruntald teen who was being controlled be Kun)

4. The great secret of the Jedi might be that there is no difference between dark and light. And if the Sith Lord knows this, he could be jamming them, justa thought, i don't believe this one, but this is a little theory.

And finally,
5. if the dark side and light side were one. But you didn't want little Jedi going off on grudges, what would you do to prevent them from becoming evil little Vaders. The idea of keeping them from knowing there is a "One Force" would to defined it to focus on feelings. That way, you could feel the darkness, and would think "Darkside" cause they use the force.

And don't forget the words of Dooku and Yoda,

"I have become more powerful than even you, Yoda."-Dooku
"Strong you have become, but still much have you to learn"-Yoda

Tramp
22 August 2002, 03:41 PM
If you guys read page 36 of the PotJSB under "Unity of the Force", in the second paragraph it says:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Force is not inherently good or evil. It has its light side and its dark side. It is a tool, and like any other tool it can be misused or even broken. Ignorance leads to improper use of the Force; the unwise use the Force Emotionally. Incorrect use of the Force can lead to death and destruction. Only through proper training can the Force be justly applied.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It goes on to mention that the Force is a "Living entity, generating life" and a "necessary part of the universe". Also, in the book "Star Wars: the Magic of Myth" it mentions that the Force while on the outside appears to be two seperate entities, (the Light and the Dark) they are simply two sides of the same whole like the heads and tails of a coin. The Light Side is not the Force, nor is the Dark Side. They are mearly two aspects of the Force and nothing more. If you watch ESB when Yoda talks about the Dark Side, listen carefully to what he says: "Anger. Fear. Agression. The Dark Side are they." What he's saying is that anger fear and agression aren't of the Dark Side ; theyare the Dark Side . They are what make it and bring it into being. That being consumed by it means being consumed by the destructive energies of Anger and Hate that you yourself have released upon the universe. And that once you let Anger and Hate to control you, it will forever dominate you.

Doran
23 January 2003, 09:25 AM
Sorry for resurrecting topic :O but I finally got around to finishing Traitor. I read it and read it, and gave up on it because it was confusing to me, and quite boring. But it was just before the good part, when Ganner came to Jacen. I thought it was funny that Ganner was pulling a confusing role other then when Jacen was pulling a confusing role to Vergere.

But right from then, all the way to the end, I loved it! The way Ganner was cutting them all down and everything, and when Vergere left Nom Anor to die, I almost clapped to her.

All in all, not very good in the beginning, but really good at the end, and the thing where Vergere says the World Brain will stop the Vong is pure awesome.

Now I have to see DW!

Jedi Master Talon
28 January 2003, 09:59 AM
Traitor was a really good book ecspessialy Ganner's last Stand in the Well of the World Brain. That was amazing. I really didn't like Ganner but now I do He rocks. Jacen did some amazing things too. All in all the book was great.