PDA

View Full Version : What if Chewbacca lived?

TK-422
1 August 2002, 09:22 PM
Overall, I think the NJO storyline is... so-so. It's a good idea anyway, but I feel like the stories are missing something. Namely, Chewbacca! I think they should bring him back. Heck, how many times did Boba Fett die? I'm sure there are tons of ways to get Chewie back into the storyline. Here's my best attempt--he fell into a deep-core mining facility that survived the impact. Then he was captured by the Vong, but not killed cos he was "worthy." Of course, he escapes and gets back with his buds. Anyway, does anyone agree that Chewie needs to be resurrected?

The_Avatar
1 August 2002, 10:39 PM
Hrm...no. Chewbacca should stay dead. I've got nothing against him, but I'm against it.

Chewwy, while a likeable character, didn't really do anything. He sat around and growled. Taking him away from the "Star Wars Roster" thus didn't really have a lasting effect, other than showing that not all the mainstream characters are immortal anymore.

He served his purpose, now lets move on...

Sithspawn
2 August 2002, 12:39 AM
What if Chewbacca lived?
Well I might have read more of the books for one.

I still hear the goings on from a mate, and think they sound a tad poor.

didn't really do anything. He sat around and growled
I know talk about BAD writing or what. Star Wars authors seem to be totally incapable of writing for aliens. Wookiees are highly intelligent, but authors allow them to speak through a third person. When you read another novel and you are told the character is speaking Russian, it's still written in English. But it doesn't stop at the Wookiees, from the scraps I've read there appears nothing unusual about the Vongs speaking pattern. If you didn't know it was a Vong speaking you'd probably think it was an Imperial Officer.

As for the direction the books would have gone? Persoanlly I can't see Chewbacca's, or Luke Han or Leia's, presence making the slightest bit of difference.

So are we taking bets on who dies in the last book, Luke, Han or Leia?

Jim Williams
2 August 2002, 05:18 AM
You're right! Too many humans! That's what's wrong. The "aliens just bop in and leave or die!

Kre'fey is cool, but definitely minor.
Borsk was really cool, but still minor.
Heck, I LOVE (well, really like) the Barabel Jedi, and that Ryn guy was so cool.
Ackbar needs to come back.

But what we get is Luke, Mara (icky), Han, Liea, Jacen, Jaina, Lando, Wedge(who is though, very cool), Wes, Hobbie, Corran, Kam, Kyp (who should have been alien from the start), etc.

Grrrr. But hey, I like reading Star Wars, even its lukewarm. No pun intended.

Let's see...as far as character use...Empire replaces Republic, New Republic replaces Empire.

My vote is that Luke will die like Ben, even though that scene almost happened in "A New Rebellion"---a great book.

Nova Spice
2 August 2002, 09:44 AM
Another "Why did they kill Chewie" thread. It seems like one of these pops up every week and its the same old, same old.

First off, the New Jedi Order storyline is as good or better than the rest of the EU put together. Some of my friends claim that the storyline is better than even the films; no comment there, I happen to like both.

Second, if Chewie were to come back, it would cheapen the entire storyline. It would turn this great epic into a comic book. Chewie needs to stay dead for realism sake. No offense, but its not like many folks walk away after a moon falls on them. :p

Third, Chewie and Anakin's deaths make the storyline even better. If the heroes are immortal, then every "crisis" that comes up is just another boring, hero saves the day adventure, where the characters always come back in perfect shape, like nothing happened.

And is it really that abnormal for a main character to die in Star Wars? In the films, Obi-Wan dies, Yoda dies, Anakin Skywalker dies, Mace Windu dies, the Emperor dies, etc. This is not something that is new to Star Wars.

Anyway, thats my two cents again. I am fully confident this type of thread will pop up again. ;) :D

Superdog
2 August 2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
Third, Chewie and Anakin's deaths make the storyline even better. If the heroes are immortal, then every "crisis" that comes up is just another boring, hero saves the day adventure, where the characters always come back in perfect shape, like nothing happened.

So true. In an NJO novel, for the most part, you honestly don't know who is going to live and who is going to die. Which you makes you want to find out if your faves live, (or even show up, Streen is still alive!! Put him in a novel!!! GRRR!!!:mad: ) as oppossed to yawning and going to sleep. I forget which book it is but Corran horn almost dies, but when he turned up alive, I was genuinely shocked. Good stuff. :)

FlipDog 2000
9 August 2002, 07:57 AM
Good call Nova, we seem to always have this conversation, and this is what I put...

Chewies' dead....GET OVER IT!

Master_thorin
18 August 2002, 06:22 PM
I think I saw a slight against corran up above and if so GRRRRRRRRRRRR I will find you

And second the Best thing borsk ever did was die

Though Authors do seem to have trouble with aliens. I love Barabels and Ooryl from Rogue(stackpole wrote for him well.)

Dan Kyrinov
18 August 2002, 08:02 PM
What if Chewie had lived? That's the topic's title. when I saw it, I had a few thoughts. So as not to hijack the thread, I'll also comment on whether or not he could be brought back. Although it could be done, I hope not, simply because it sent the entire Solo family into turmoil and led us into fantastic story arcs that changed everything we knew about Star Wars. The NJO isn't meant to be all sweetness and light, read Traitor, for example. It's trying to be emotionally human while being galactic in scale. But let me say this, I am one of the greatest Chewbacca fans around. I taught the Wookiee grunts to my little siblings back in the day, we still have special 'grunt codes' for roleplaying. And when books like Tattooine Ghost show up, I will be camped out before a Barnes and Noble in hopes guys like Troy Denning did my boy Chewie justice. Imagine if Chewie was around in NJO, with Roa, and Droma around. Now that would be a crew.

Roa: Ahhh! I'm too old for this! (dodges thrown amphistaff)
Droma: Ahh! My hat, I dropped my hat!
Chewie: MEHHHH! (BOOM! Bowcaster goes off.)
Han: Okay, problem solved, sabacc, guys?

But there will be more Chewbacca in the EU, so all the questions about if he had lived are kinda moot. Chewie ain't dead yet. Tatooine Ghost, 2003.

TK-422
19 August 2002, 11:50 AM
Right on, Dan. I guess that Chewie's death is vital to the story and adds mortality to the heroes and all that crap, but what still bothers me is that it seems like he never got enough attention from writers. He was always just the sidekick (which he was, of course) but I would have loved to read about him as the main character. The only thing I know of with him as the focus was that four-book comic series about how his relatives remember him after his death. That was... okay, but I wanted some good writing and decent story! Is that too much to ask for everybody's favorite Wookiee?!

Sabre
19 August 2002, 03:40 PM
Question: What if Chewbacca had lived?

Answer: He'd get half the page space he does now.

Ardent
21 August 2002, 12:59 PM
No offense, but its not like many folks walk away after a moon falls on them.

Yeah, but he's Chewbacca. Really, 'nuff said.

Although I do agree that he should stay dead. Resurrecting him would thrash an otherwise flawless storyline.

As far as anyone else dying, the only realistic candidate is Luke. He's accomplished more or less everything we realistically could have expected him to accomplish.

Nova Spice
21 August 2002, 05:51 PM
As far as anyone else dying, the only realistic candidate is Luke. He's accomplished more or less everything we realistically could have expected him to accomplish.

I seem to think that that may be a viable candidate. Chewie's death started the NJO series off with a bang; it seems only likely that another main character may well end the series with his/her death.

I've come to a list of a few possible choices:

-Luke (It may well be a possibility and it may well not. Luke Skywalker is the name everyone associates with Star Wars, so he may stay alive for Star Wars sake.)
-Han (Although I could see a sorta parallel to Chewie dying in the beginning and Han dying in the end, I feel the Solo family has endured its fair share of hardships, so maybe not.)
-Leia (She seems the least likely to die for some reason...I can't seem to figure out why, but there is still something charismatic about Leia that may ensure her survival.)
-Lando (Quite frankly, this choice seems the most likely considering he is more "expendable" than the other three; though I happen to think of Lando as one of the cooler Star Wars characters.)
-Mara (I could very well see this forthcoming; Mara could wind up making the ultimate sacrifice for Luke and Ben, but I don't know if this would be a great idea considering Luke's success with relationships.)

Anyway, I think that the point of Chewbacca's death, even though its been nearly three years and thirteen books later, may not be revealed just yet. The NJO is just starting to get into the climax and I imagine the big Wook's death will have a profound effect on the ending. :D ;)

AxiustheDark
22 August 2002, 08:55 AM
Back to the original post, I noticed that half the reasoning to bring Chewie back was becuase of Boba Fett's seeming invulnerabilty. Fett's invunerabilty is his "je ne sais quois." It is the essence of Fett. Can Fett die? Never...or so it seems. It's what makes Fett such a nice ruffian.

Chewie's death was a necessary thing anyways. I was so tired of this weapon, and that Dark Jedi, and this starship that is about to destroy everything.....and somehow, within the last few pages of each new series, everyone lived and the threat was nullified. Another lackluster writing performance. I was beginning to think our main characters wouldn't even die from old age.

Finally...the risk is back in the Star Wars universe. No more magical escapes. Goodbye to characters who get themselves stuck in impossible situations.

How many times can you find that garbage chute right when you need one?

scottyboy
22 August 2002, 09:51 AM
I really hate to be a pain, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone. But next time you want to start a thread about something like this, could you possibly call it something else. Only because, I've never read the NJO books, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I saw the title "What if Chewbacca had lived", and it caught my attention because to my knowledge (since I've never read the NJO books), Chewbacca hadn't died yet. Then the first line of the first post says something about him dying in the NJO books. It was kind of a SPOILER for me. So if, next time, you could call it something like "What if... SPOILER", that would be great, thanks. Again I'm sorry to be a pain and much apologies if I've offended.

Nova Spice
22 August 2002, 02:13 PM
Again I'm sorry to be a pain and much apologies if I've offended.

You're not being a pain scotty, but it really isn't necessary to place a spoiler tag with this thread. Chewie has been dead for three years since 1999 when the NJO first came out and to be honest I'm shocked that you didn't know this.

Unfortunately,you are in a vast minority, which I know is hard to believe and I sympathize with you, but after three years and almost four, this really isn't that big of a spoiler. If a tag had been placed on this thread, it wouldn't have made much sense to the massive majority of folk who have known that Chewie has been long gone.

Anyway, sorry that you were in the dark on this topic. I'm sure TK assumed that this wasn't a big spoiler. ;)

scottyboy
23 August 2002, 04:32 AM
Wow, he's been dead for three years! I guess I just didn't realize that I was out of the "loop" for that long. Sorry!

Nova Spice
23 August 2002, 09:03 PM
Hey, don't worry about it, we all get "out of the loop" sometimes. But while we're on the topic of Chewie's death, have you thought about picking up Vector Prime (the first book in the series) and reading it? The NJO is a great on-going storyline IMO and I bet you'd enjoy the novels.

Besides, that way, you'd be "back in the loop" again. ;) :)

FlipDog 2000
24 August 2002, 08:36 AM
And another point...Salvatore asked Lucas who he could kill off...and it came out to be the lovable furry guy...and HE'S DEAD!!! There is no 'what if'!!!

Ardent
24 August 2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by AxiustheDark
Back to the original post, I noticed that half the reasoning to bring Chewie back was becuase of Boba Fett's seeming invulnerabilty. Fett's invunerabilty is his "je ne sais quois." It is the essence of Fett. Can Fett die? Never...or so it seems. It's what makes Fett such a nice ruffian.

Chewie's death was a necessary thing anyways. I was so tired of this weapon, and that Dark Jedi, and this starship that is about to destroy everything.....and somehow, within the last few pages of each new series, everyone lived and the threat was nullified. Another lackluster writing performance. I was beginning to think our main characters wouldn't even die from old age.

Finally...the risk is back in the Star Wars universe. No more magical escapes. Goodbye to characters who get themselves stuck in impossible situations.

How many times can you find that garbage chute right when you need one?

In answer to your final question: as many times as it takes to please the fans.

As far as Fett's je ne sais quois, while agree that it definitely makes him cool, the mystique isn't really still there. With Episode II and discovering that he's a clone...well...jump from point "A" to point "B." His clones had the advantage of him being such a huge underworld figure that word of his death would eventually reach the cloning facility and they could disguise themselves appropriately to match his reported demise.

Like I said before, Luke seems the only likely candidate. You can't kill Wedge, he's invincible. You can't kill Tycho, he's just a minor character. You COULD kill Kyp, but he's got his own legion of fans that makes that a not-too-bright idea (plus, there's the whole ultimate realization thing going on in the NJO saga). You couldn't kill Jag Fel, because he's a Solo love-intrest (and the last of the Fels, at that). You couldn't kill either of the twins because...let's face it, without them the entire plot would shrivel and die. You can't kill Tenel Ka, she's too important to Jacen's growth as an instructor. You COULD kill Tahiri, but why? Most of us only know enough about Tahiri to know Anakin's death devastated her.

I'm sure we won't be disappointed, but...you can only hope it's not a character you're personally attached to.

AxiustheDark
24 August 2002, 08:16 PM
Ardent, let me tell ya....you are exactly right about what Episode II did to Boba Fett's mystique. It is now much harder to believe.....especially when there is a nearly unlimited number of him.

I don't know about who is going to be eliminated at the end.....I'd personally lean more towards Kyp than I would towards Luke. But, now that Luke has a kid, he is fair game.

Arakyd
25 August 2002, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by FlipDog 2000
Good call Nova, we seem to always have this conversation, and this is what I put...

Chewies' dead....GET OVER IT!

And another point...Salvatore asked Lucas who he could kill off...and it came out to be the lovable furry guy...and HE'S DEAD!!! There is no 'what if'!!!

FlipDog 2000, stop trying to provoke, the other posters.

FlipDog 2000
27 August 2002, 08:34 AM
Okay...I apologize! But why must we constantly have this SAME conversation??? Am I the only one who thinks this way, or is it that we have nothin' better to talk about except bringing someone back from the dead? So, once again I will apologize for stating my opinion, I was just trying to get some conversation going with the others who felt the same way...:(

Nova Spice
27 August 2002, 03:47 PM
Flip, you know I'm with ya! :p I wish people could let the dead rest in peace too, but hey if wishes always came true I'd have Heidi Klum sitting next to me right now! :D

Arakyd
28 August 2002, 02:53 AM
I agree that this subject has been done to death. ( I plan on cracking down on repeat threads) But yelling at people is not going to do anything accept cause animosity.

BTW, Happy Birthday, Flipdog 2000!

reliant
28 August 2002, 07:58 AM
First off, I also agree that this topic has been discussed to death...

Second, (and I've said this before) I think that Chewbacca's death was probably one of the most important parts of the NJO storyline. It gave the whole series a more serious feel that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. By killing a main character, they just proved that all the rest are not immortal. Granted I somehow don't see Han, Leia, or Luke taking the dirtnap anytime soon, but the possibility still exists... And that's what makes NJO cool.

FlipDog 2000
2 September 2002, 07:43 AM
Thanks Arakyd...

And now I have this feeling that we're going to see more and more main characters die off....

Darth_Lovecraft
10 September 2002, 12:06 PM
Hey, Lando was originally going to die at the end of ROTJ (you can see the hints, like Solo thinking he won't see the Falcon again), but Lucas changed it when he saw that the test audience was a bit shocked.
As for some of the other comments:

Wedge only SEEMS to be invincible because of all the human shields he has... *cough*and he's invincible *cough*

Heidi Klum sitting NEXT to you?

Nova Spice
10 September 2002, 04:32 PM
Heidi Klum sitting NEXT to you?

I'm assuming this was directed at me? Notice I used the word "wish" when I made that statement. ;) But hey, you've never met me in real life, so maybe, just maybe, she really is. :D

Anyway, it looks like this thread has died down, which is a good thing. Force knows we don't need another "Why did Chewie die?" thread crawling up again. Although I will admit this one has been one of the better threads of its type. B)