PDA

View Full Version : Book publishing...

TK-422
2 August 2002, 07:05 AM
Does anybody know how to contact Lucas Books? I've been to the Del Rey site already. I have a cool way to kind of "fix" things in the NJO storyline. (It probably sucks actually...) Anyway, is there a Lucas Books website or something?

dgswensen
2 August 2002, 07:53 AM
I'm no expert, but if Del Rey is like any other publishing house, I doubt they will accept submissions / ideas unsolicited. You would probably have to get a hold of an agent first.

Nova Spice
2 August 2002, 09:57 AM
Does anybody know how to contact Lucas Books? I've been to the Del Rey site already. I have a cool way to kind of "fix" things in the NJO storyline. (It probably sucks actually...) Anyway, is there a Lucas Books website or something?

Curious, what is wrong with the NJO storyline? Seems to me that being on the New York Times bestsellers list means that people like the novels? IMO, there doing a pretty fine job? :? :raised:

TK-422
2 August 2002, 02:20 PM
Don't you find ir a little repetitive? It seems like every book, the Vong seem invincible and overwhelming, yet the valiant efforts of the New Republic finally score somewhat of a victory at the end, but at some terrible cost (although I really like Lando's new droids!). All I'm saying is that I think it's time for a little Vong butt-whupping. Crap, they freaking took Coruscant, for crying out loud! Here's my idea I was talking about earlier: Anakin Solo didn't really die, but was saved at the last moment by a mysterious Force-user. He sustains him just like Palpy did for Anakin's grandpappy, erm, Anakin. Of course, he's a Sith old-school style, and trains him in the dark side (Anakin was going dark anyway!). He takes him to a remote planet where this guy has been hiding out for say, umm 40 years. And all over the planet, he has been creating... Massassi warriors! Old-school Sith armies itchin to kill stuff! Vong vs. Sith. Oh yeah, this mysterious guy--he's the son of Vader and Padme (her CLONE, rather, created when the real Padme... umm, well something's got to happen to her, right?). Anyway, I just want some revenge for the killing of my favorite character, Chewbacca. Wipe them out... all of them.

Nova Spice
2 August 2002, 03:09 PM
I see my comments caused you to give me a low rating? Oh well, can't please them all. :D Nevertheless, I wasn't flaming you, just curious about why you thought the NJO needed a face-lift?

Don't you find ir a little repetitive?

Actually no, I find the books quite intriguing because they aren't repetitive. You never know what is going to happen next; that's a sign that something isn't repeating itself. Sure the New Republic has lost many a battle, but they've won some too.

All I'm saying is that I think it's time for a little Vong butt-whupping.

Apparently, so do the authors. The New Republic is already starting to show signs of a comeback; namely at Borleias and with Jacen's new understanding of the Force.

Anakin Solo didn't really die, but was saved at the last moment by a mysterious Force-user. He sustains him just like Palpy did for Anakin's grandpappy, erm, Anakin. Of course, he's a Sith old-school style, and trains him in the dark side (Anakin was going dark anyway!). He takes him to a remote planet where this guy has been hiding out for say, umm 40 years. And all over the planet, he has been creating... Massassi warriors! Old-school Sith armies itchin to kill stuff! Vong vs. Sith. Oh yeah, this mysterious guy--he's the son of Vader and Padme (her CLONE, rather, created when the real Padme... umm, well something's got to happen to her, right?).

This sounds good for maybe a home-brewed RPG campaign for yourself, but as an avid reader and fan of the series, this kinda storyline, is too farfetched and unrealistic to be successful. I would stop reading the series altogether with this type of plot. And George Lucas himself said there were to be NO Sith in the NJO and that is why we have the Yuuzhan Vong. ;)

dgswensen
2 August 2002, 03:12 PM
An interesting idea, but it sounds to me like the "Batman Forever" effect... you keep piling on the villains until the heroes themselves are eclipsed.

Sith vs. Vong would be an okay idea once, maybe twice, but it's essentially bad guys fighting other bad guys -- which isn't very keeping in the Star Wars spirit IMHO. It would relegate the major players in the series to the back burner.

TK-422
2 August 2002, 10:34 PM
Ah well, it's just a pipe dream really. I've been writing some stuff over the years, just for myself. Sorry, Nova about that rating. (I made it up to you just now though!) I took a differing opinion to be down-talking. My bad. I guess I can deal with the way things are going (no choice, really)... as long as they don't kill Wedge! haha I would be interested though in a series that follows the "second generation" of heroes, the Solo kids, Ben Skywalker, Lowbacca, etc., after the Vong storyline. I think that if this is the last hurrah for the original crew, killing them off would be more acceptable in some way. hmmm... I'm going to bed.

Nova Spice
3 August 2002, 08:20 AM
Well TK, that's the beauty of the RPG; if you don't like the NJO, you can create your own campaign and make your pipe dream come true! :D

Sorry, Nova about that rating. (I made it up to you just now though!) I took a differing opinion to be down-talking.

Don't worry about it, the great thing about this place is that people can share their thoughts and opinions however different they may be. ;)

And, by the way, I hope they don't kill Wedge either; he had a close call in Rebel Stand though! 8o

malphas13
11 August 2002, 02:00 PM
Well, not to be an ass or anything... But all stories are intrinsically the same... I for one would be happy if the Vong wiped out every last vestige of the Jedi, enslaved the galaxy and moved on to their next conquest. It gets a little tedious reading most books, or going to the movies, you all ready know the outcome. Bad guys despite having superior numbers, tech, magic whatever, loose to the lone, brave self sacrificing hero... Believe it or not, in the real world, sometimes evil wins. I wish more writers would remember that...

TK-422
11 August 2002, 02:49 PM
How can you be a fan of fantasy or sci-fi if all you want is to make it seem like the real world? I am very much in favor of realistic writing, but, obviously, sometimes the laws of our reality have to be "bent" a little. I'm not attacking your opinion--you're entitled to it--but I'm sick of the freaking Vong winning all the time. I don't know how you can say that the overwhelming and more powerful villains always lose (in the NJO anyway). However, where the villains are seemingly at an advantage in technology, etc., they are also lacking in morality, empathy, and all that wussy stuff that the good guys have to have. What would happen if the villains would wipe out all of the good guys for once? They would destroy themselves. They would find themselves in a "what now?" situation and have absolutely no purpose to continue their existence. And we would certainly have no purpose to read the stories. In the same way, the heroes can never utterly wipe out the bad guys. Conflict is what makes a story. If you want reality, then I suggest you read the newspaper.

Superdog
11 August 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by malphas13
Well, not to be an ass or anything... But all stories are intrinsically the same... I for one would be happy if the Vong wiped out every last vestige of the Jedi, enslaved the galaxy and moved on to their next conquest. It gets a little tedious reading most books, or going to the movies, you all ready know the outcome. Bad guys despite having superior numbers, tech, magic whatever, loose to the lone, brave self sacrificing hero... Believe it or not, in the real world, sometimes evil wins. I wish more writers would remember that...
Oh ya, I know especially in these Lord of the Rings movies, my god just give Sauron the ring already!! We don't need sequels! Just kill all the good guys! (I'm being sarcastic by the way, which is my way of saying I politely disagree)

malphas13
12 August 2002, 04:21 AM
Yes, admittedly there are some good stories to be told in the seeminly universal framework. However, it is nice when things deviate from the norm. If you enjoy fantasy, and would like to read something a bit "different". I would suggest George R.R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. I'd have to say it's likely the best fantasy series I've ever read. Very harsh and brutal. :) In all likelyhood the "good guys" will win, but I can still hope. ;) Up to book 3 is out so far, and book 4 will be out sometime in the fall. There's supposed to be 6 books I believe. (But then again the Wheel of Time was supposed to be a trilogy long ago...)

Jim Williams
12 August 2002, 04:30 AM
To TK,

Do a web search for Aaron Allston's webpage and go to his FAQ page. There you will find, as I did, how impossible it is to submit/write for Lucas as an unsolicited author. I, of course, have the best Star Wars novel ever written about independent characters during the Rebellion, but nobody will look at it. <sniff>

I'm going to try submitting it to TFN.

Jim Williams
12 August 2002, 04:37 AM
Oops