PDA

View Full Version : Lucas quits after Ep. III?

TK-422
2 August 2002, 10:40 PM
I have heard that George Lucas will not be continuing the Star Wars saga after the completetion of Episode III. And I know that Episodes VII-IX were never even really developed. So why doesn't Lucas liscense the rights to some other guy to make some Star Wars movies? That would suck if there will never be another Star Wars cinema feature. Heck, even an HBO series would be great!

Seghast
2 August 2002, 11:05 PM
It all sounds like a good idea, but the problem is finding someone else to take control that can maintain the Star Wars galaxy as it was truly meant to be. George Lucas is the only one who can truly do that.

Now, a spin-off series, properly done, could work. However, look at all the effects used in Star Wars. The show would need to be hand animation to be within a reasonable production range, because CGI animation and special effects like pyrotechnics would drive production costs through the roof.

And, even for a spin-off series to work, there should be little to no interaction between the series characters and the events portrayed in the movies. Keeping things seperate like that will be less confusing to the audience, and it (hopefully) won't bring up any conflicts between what we saw in the movies, and what the series wants to claim happened.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
2 August 2002, 11:14 PM
These topics seem to pop up alot...

No-one could really keep the made for 12 year old feel of Star Wars movies, and he wouldn't sell off the rights anyway. He did say that after this he was going to look at some less commercially successful projects. I am more interested in what those might be.

TK-422
3 August 2002, 08:28 AM
Less commercially successful? Like the Ewok movies? haha Yup, it just wouldn't be the same without ol' George, unless perhaps they went to a different era. Like the Jedi vs. Sith war timeframe. That would be a cool mini-series! Then again, I can enjoy (most of) the comic books, and they have an abundance of differing ways to depict the galaxy. I dunno, just thought it would be cool...

dgswensen
3 August 2002, 05:55 PM
Looking at the current state of science fiction movies these days, I don't know that I can think of anyone I'd like to see Lucas sign it over to. With our luck the "Resident Evil" guy would get his hooks on it, and then it really WOULD be all over.

TK-422
3 August 2002, 06:29 PM
HAHA! You're probably right. Does Rick McCallum have any directing ecperience? He'd be the best one to take Lucas's place (as director) I think. He already knows all about the Star Wars galaxy cos he's the producer. Or what about the Lord of the Rings guy?

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
3 August 2002, 07:50 PM
Peter Jackson could be good, but he doesn't seem to have lots of experience making PG movies, Dead Alive, anyone? :raised:

And yes, if that RESIDENT EVIL guy (a.k.a. Paul Anderson) got onboard, it would be bad all over. What about some other directors?
Aronofsky would be interesting to say the least, and utterly spectacular at best. Tarantino would be cool, if only George didn't mind an R rating on his films (though, can you imagine the awesome dialogue?!)

Kobayashi_Maru
3 August 2002, 10:12 PM
The LFL rep. said Lucas had expressed an interest in continueing the SW Saga in another medium. But did not elaborate what medium that would be. He did confirm that EP3 would be the last SW movie.

dgswensen
3 August 2002, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry, but I think Tarantino would be absolutely terrible at Star Wars. Look at his roots. Tarantino comes out of gangster films a la Sergio Leone and Elmore Leonard. Star Wars is space opera / Flash Gordon / pulp adventure. The two genres couldn't be more different. Plus, if you think Peter Jackson has a hard time making PG films...!!! He's not a bad filmmaker, just wrong for the genre.

Aronofsky has some chops, but I'd like to see what he does with Batman 5 first. After all, Tim Burton is a good director, but I don't think he's a good action-movie director -- I feel the same way about Aronofsky.

Really, if I had my wish, the franchise would go to the younger Spielberg -- I mean pre-Schindler's List, pre-Lost World, pre-AI Spielberg, back before he began taking himself way too seriously.

Him, or Nicholas Meyer, who wrote / directed Star Trek II, co-wrote IV, and directed VI. He seems to be able to tackle both the technical and the human side of science fiction -- the human side being something I feel Lucas does have some trouble with sometimes.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
3 August 2002, 11:07 PM
he-he... Maybe I should have said this before, but for Tarantino and Aronofsky, I was thinking of what Star Wars would be like if they were allowed to work with it in their way. Like say, a movie about bounty hunters and hutt gangsters written and directed by Tarantino, or a movie about... I dunno, Jedi training written and directed by Aronofsky. I agree that Tarantino would suck at Space Opera, but maybe once "The Fountain" comes out we'll see how Aronofsky would fare, because I think he might be good at it.

horn1974
6 August 2002, 12:54 PM
it would be cool ,if george let speilberg play in his sand box .he has asked him in the past .

TIE53
18 August 2002, 11:16 AM
George Lucas will keep making Movies. I think he has run out of ideas for star wars movies though.I also think that He wants to have star wars. So when you think of Star wars, you will think of GEORGE LUCAS.

TK-422
19 August 2002, 11:56 AM
I think everyone will think of Lucas when they see Star Wars, no matter what happens in the future. After all, he allowed the Ewok movies to exist, so why not some more little shoot-offs that don't really affect anything but we love 'em anyway. Erm, not that I love the Ewok movies... okay I do. But you do too, and you know it!

Reverend Strone
19 August 2002, 12:01 PM
Perhaps our best hope for more SW after Ep III lies with some kind of television spin off? Live action would get my vote, but I'd be open to an animated series if it was handled with the right maturity.

There were some great ideas espoused in the following thread on the topic:
http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7173

(apologies in advance for how long we all go on about the Rev Strone and Clones tv show thing- it was funny at the time:o )

VixenofVenus
19 August 2002, 12:53 PM
Star Wars after Episode III?

I doubt we see much until after Lucas' death (other than EU stuff like books, comics, games).

After Lucas' death and the impending legal battle over the billion dollar Star Wars Empire (no pun intended) ... we'll just hafta see.

But thats my prediction

Codym
10 September 2002, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see an on-going TV series, but I doubt it. I think Episode III will be the last offical screen foray into Star Wars. And after Lucas's death, I doubt we'll see new material, but will probably start getting remakes.

As for the directors, I'd put my first vote in for Ron Howard. Willow is still the best heroic fantasy film and Howard is good friends with Lucas. Stephen Sommers could probably do it, Roland Emmerich definately could, and despite the naysayers, Paul Anderson did direct two of the best sci-fi films of the nineties (Event Horizon and Soldier,) and I think he could do a good job with SW, though it would be darker and edgier.

But the problem that all of them face, including Lucas, is that there will never be another film experience like the original Star Wars. While others may be better, none will every capture that "never seen/felt before" magic that Star Wars created when that first blockade runner screamed across our movie screens.

Boy, I now feel old.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
10 September 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Codym
Stephen Sommers could probably do it, Roland Emmerich definately could, and despite the naysayers, Paul Anderson did direct two of the best sci-fi films of the nineties (Event Horizon and Soldier,) and I think he could do a good job with SW, though it would be darker and edgier.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with Paul Anderson, and less strongly with your other suggestions. I personally would describe Paul Anderson's work as mediocre at best, but hey, that's just me.