PDA

View Full Version : Boba Fett unmaksed?? aahhh

Jastor
15 August 2002, 06:34 AM
FIND five ...no i mean lots ... errors:

http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/multimedia/image/comics/oneshots/swinfinities01-unmasked.jpg

1) hes smiling.. cynichal? BOBA FETT? never
2) resting on a chair with feet on the table? hmm .. he cannot get up fast enough (if he havent the advantage that lando is already tied up.. but i dont know .. i havent read it)
3) if i were a bounty hunter, i would shave my head (well, all my BH chars do anyway :) ) to eliminate the advantages other could make.

and the last:
WHAT is he doing without his mask? he wont show his face to anyone .. certainly not Lando .. so now Lando must die .. but .. he doesnt show it to thoose who will die either. hmm.. gotta find out who wrote/drawed that crap and mail them asap.

dgswensen
15 August 2002, 09:26 AM
This image seems to be from Star Wars Infinities -- and once again, I thought the whole point of Star Wars Infinities was to present a vision of Star Wars different from accepted canon.

It is, in fact, a parallel universe. So, a universe in which Fett doesn't worry about unmasking himself and has a more casual attitude -- what's the big deal?

I mean, really, Jango Fett had no problem taking his helmet off -- and there's no indication that Boba Fett did either, except for the fact that he never took it off in the cumulative 15 seconds he was on-screen in the entire classic trilogy.

And the fact that your characters would shave their heads doesn't make for an "error" in this artist's work.

Sorry, I just don't see anything to get this excited about -- and I certainly think calling it "crap" is being unecessarily harsh.

Ravager_of_worlds
15 August 2002, 10:03 AM
I was concerned with the image at first too... but then i realized it was a comic book. And since i haven't read anything 'great' in comic form aside from Poison Elves and Cerberus... I have a lower opinion of comics now. I wish for the days when Jim Lee did X-Men and... Uh what? Uh, I mean... yeah. Lighten up. :)

Jastor
15 August 2002, 10:16 AM
if youve read the books about boba fett you wouldnt make that statement about boba fett not having any problem to show of without helmet.

dgswensen
15 August 2002, 12:17 PM
Yes I would, because I think the books are glorified fanfiction, written by some of the worst authors in the Western world. The people who brought you their visions of Boba Fett and his wheres and whyfors are the same people who brought you the ysalamiri and Ikrit, the Jedi fightin' Easter Bunny, and I have no problem disregarding the books en masse. It's not like I haven't tried to read them. I have. I haven't finished one yet.

But, you see -- that's just my opinion. That's the beauty of Star Wars. Many people can have many different visions of what it's all about, and though they won't always agree, there's room enough for just about anything -- including a picture of an alternate universe where Fett finally takes off his helmet.

khalen penn
15 August 2002, 03:01 PM
the bounty hunter trillogy didnt make FETT sound to mysterios. having him say alot more at times it wasnt neccasary. hes known for not saying much but suddenly seemd to have alot to say in the books and some of it wasnt verry good
spoiled it a bit for me
it didnt make him sound verry FETT

well thats my pennys worth

malphas13
15 August 2002, 03:26 PM
Why shave your head if you rarely take your helmet off? And if you're going to get that paranoid about it, may as well shave off the old ears as well. ;) They can be grabbed just about as easily as hair, and it hurts alot more... ;)

Jastor
16 August 2002, 03:03 AM
well, since he had .. pretty long hair in any case :) he need to fix it with something .. spray whatever so it keeps up ;) and not down and in his eyes.

dragonseye
16 August 2002, 06:55 AM
Jastor,

It's a spinoff from Tag and Bink are Dead... (The title should explain it all...) The entire comic is a farce, and deffinitely not something to take seriously. But it is worth a good laugh (which is what it was made to be.)

I guess you'd have to read it to understand. But I can deffinitely assure you that it wasn't made to be taken seriously. (Just read their intro/" disclaimer" if you're curious.)

dgswensen
16 August 2002, 09:29 AM
I thought the first issue of Tag & Bink are Dead was hilarious and brilliant. The second one, not so much, but I still love the concept.

Reverend Strone
16 August 2002, 05:19 PM
Storm in a tea-cup Jastor. Gven the context of the comic, I can't say I even blinked at the image till you drew attention to it. I certainly don't think it's worth getting worked up about.

Regarding Fett's treatment in the EU in general, I'd have to agree with dgswensen, although there are exceptions. Like anything, the EU spans the whole quality spectrum, with some very nice material buried in amongst the junk. Generally though, I've found Fett to be one of the most abused characters in the EU, because every second writer feels they have to right the definitive work on him, and not usually with much success IMHO. Of course it's just that, only my opinion.

Kas'ir Faywind
16 August 2002, 05:37 PM
Whats the deal with Fett? not to start a flame war but it seems as though it was pretty cleared he died in RotJ. Wasn't that on purpose from Lucas who didn't really care for him anyways? I'll never understand these EU writers

Rogue Janson
17 August 2002, 02:08 PM
To be fair, if any character from the films deserved to be rescued from apparent death, it's Boba Fett. The greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy, son of the man who was the blueprint for the clone wars and one the most popular supporting characters killed because Han Solo accidentally knocked his jet pack switch. Now I've heard of the famous "Solo luck", but that's taking it a bit far.
Besides, the Sarlacc takes thousands of years to digest its victims - how long do you think it's going to take for him to blow his way out?

Tony J Case, Super Genius
20 August 2002, 03:47 PM
I hate to break it to you guys - but that the Infinities adaption of the Empire Strikes Back. So no it didnt happen, but it's not comedy like Tag and Bink.

Me, I've got no problem with Fett taking off his helmet. I mean, his role model didnt live in his helmet 24/7 - only during combat situations was he fully geared up. Hell, even during the exectution he was sans-helmet.

Sithspawn
23 August 2002, 03:27 PM
Boba is a clone of Jango. We already know what he looks like, like Jango. So what's the beef with him appearing in the comic looking as we know he looks?

reliant
26 August 2002, 06:16 AM
The pic was a dead link anyway...

I don't have a problem with Fett with his helmet off. Like Tony mentioned, it wasn't like Jango lived in his...

I still don't get all the EU bashing. Granted there are definately some crappy books out there, but there are some really good ones too.

dgswensen
26 August 2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by reliant
Granted there are definately some crappy books out there, but there are some really good ones too.

Like what?

i'm not being sarcastic, I honestly want to know. My dislike of the EU novels isn't for lack of trying; I've taken a crack at several, and haven't met one yet that I can get through (except for Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, which I rather enjoyed). If you would be willing to mention a couple that you think are particularly good, I'd be interested in giving it another shot.

reliant
26 August 2002, 07:38 AM
Like what?

Well the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn would certainly be a good place to start.

Later books like "I, Jedi" (by Michael Stackpole) are pretty good too.

Also the New Jedi Order series is pretty good (and getting better with each book IMHO).

dragonseye
26 August 2002, 10:52 AM
At the least out of the ones I've read, I would absolutely suggest I, Jedi. I personally enjoyed the other books by Stackpole as well (especially the earlier X-wing books.)

Splinter of the Mind's Eye is another good one (not to mention the first book to be written about the Star Wars universe.)

I personally haven't been too wild about the NJO books, but I think you either love them or hate them.

Anyway, bak to the topic for us all I guess.

dgswensen
26 August 2002, 03:01 PM
Hmm... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... "Heir to the Empire" is one of the first series I tried out, and I thought it was garbage.

If I find I, Jedi on the used racks, I'll give it a try, though.

Puck
27 August 2002, 01:56 AM
Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures remain true to the Space Opera feel of Star Wars.

I also really enjoyed Cloak of Deception - an interesting SW 'political thriller' if you will.

The only stuff that really makes me cringe in the EU is K W Jeter. How can one man manage to stuff up a story about Boba Fett AND the Blade Runner "sequels"?!?! :raised:

Rogue Janson
27 August 2002, 09:59 AM
To continue this thread off topic.
Good books (that I've read) include:
The A.C. Crispin Han Solo books. Probably my favourite trilogy, they even manage to keep continuity with the old Lando and Han trilogies.
The whole X-Wing series are excellent, a real break from the rest, focusing on new characters and smaller events. Much lighter, more action packed and much funnier than any of the other books.
The Thrawn trilogy were pretty good, but possibly overrated. I think the Hand of Thrawn duology is probably better.
For some reason I really liked Children of the Jedi, but I'm sure some people will disagree strongly.
Most of the NJO novels are good and benefit greatly from a solid theme where those set in the New Republic period can be a bit scraggy, constantly running up new threats and plots.

I didn't rate Kevin J Anderson all that highly (particularly for using "turbolaser" rather than "laser", indicating a distinct lack of knowledge) and a lot of the other New Republic era books aren't all that great.

I have heard that Rogue Planet, set in the prequel era is really good as well.

JonathanC
4 September 2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Storm in a tea-cup Jastor. Gven the context of the comic, I can't say I even blinked at the image till you drew attention to it. I certainly don't think it's worth getting worked up about.

Regarding Fett's treatment in the EU in general, I'd have to agree with dgswensen, although there are exceptions. Like anything, the EU spans the whole quality spectrum, with some very nice material buried in amongst the junk. Generally though, I've found Fett to be one of the most abused characters in the EU, because every second writer feels they have to right the definitive work on him, and not usually with much success IMHO. Of course it's just that, only my opinion.

Personally, I think Tales of the Bounty Hunters had the best writeup of Boba Fett; though the backstory has been mostly proven untrue by canon, it was a pretty good backstory, and painted a picture of a man who was ruthless because he never had any reason to question the morality of his actions: by his rules, he was always acting in the right. Anything he did, he could justify.

The Boba Fett of the Bounty Hunter Wars books, on the other hand, was just a paranoid, cookie cutter scoundrel. That whole series could just as easily have not happened in the Star Wars galaxy, for how much it seemed like a Star Wars book. I have all 3 of them because I wanted to see what would happen, and they aren't terrible books, but they really aren't all that good either.

Codym
5 September 2002, 04:31 PM
It was just a matter of time before someone unmasked Fett in the comics, especially since we now know that he looks like. Concidering it's also an infinites title, no harm no foul.

As for the best portrayl of Boba in the EU, it would have to be Twin Engines of Destruction. It's hard to get, but it's Fett at his best. Next up would have to be the thrid book in the Han Solo trilogy. Crispin may not have got Han, Chewie, Lando or even Jabba right, but she nailed Fett.

As for the general dislike of the EU, I blame Kevin Anderson, especially his terrible (and seemingly endless) Young Jedi Knights series. He did a lot of damage to universe in every book, and it took Zahn's return to mend most of it. It's a pity his stuff still shows up, as it was all below par, even for tie-in fiction.