PDA

View Full Version : Profile Formula: My Best Guesses

Pages : [1] 2

Darklighter
18 August 2002, 10:11 AM
Alright, I had to post something on this. I can't seem to leave alone the 'mystery of the profile'. I'm sure it pops up with an incredible regularity, but hey, isn't that part of the charm of this place?

So here are my guesses.

Vitality and wound points are related to posting rate. Post at a rate of 5 times a day, and I suspect you get full points on these. That's a lot of posting!

Level is directly related to the number of posts. It works on volume, not rate.

Rank is perhaps the most complex formula. It involves the number of posts, factoring in your user rating and time registered with the holonet. It is also strongly affected by responsibilities assumed, so if you're suddenly moderating a forum, I suspect your rank goes up almost immediately.

Well, that's my best stab at it. Am I close? :)

Chris Curtis
18 August 2002, 03:44 PM
Most of that sounds reasonable, but I haven't looked at anyone's stats to see if it fits.

However, I do believe that Armage has confirmed that user rating does not factor into any of the stats, at least not rank. I also wouldn't expect anyone in the know to either confirm or deny any of this. User stats, particularly the ranking scheme, is one of the "Big Mysteries" around here and I'm sure it's bound to stay as such.

Darklighter
18 August 2002, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but the guessing game is fun unto itself, don't you agree? :)

Wedge in Red2
18 August 2002, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I'd come to pretty much the same conclusion. And yeah, it is kind of cool to guess. I'm one of those people that likes to try and solve problems, especially when it comes to "working out the formula". Yes, I was a maths geek at school...sue me :)!

For what it's worth, the level structure appears to be something like this (and I've only noted it about as far as I've progressed myself, obviously ;))

Posts Level
0-10 = 1st level
11-20 = 2nd level
21-30 = 3rd level
31-40 = 4th level
41-50 = 5th level
51-60 = 6th level
61-80 = 7th level
81-100 = 8th level
101-120 = 9th level
121-150 = 10th level

My current curiosity is what the difference between VP and WP is. They have different numerical values, but appear to have similar proportions. I must keep my eyes open for any users that have significantly skewed stats and try to see what causes them.

[Edit Note: Just checked Chris Curtis's profile (as mine and Darklighters are pretty similar). VP are about right: he has close to 1 post a day and the bar is about 1/5th along. Not sure what's up with WP, as they are really low in comparision. Go figure! :D]

Jon :)

Reverend Strone
18 August 2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
However, I do believe that Armage has confirmed that user rating does not factor into any of the stats, at least not rank.

I'm surprised at that one, because I've seen my rank increase on two occassions, but then drop back to what it was later in the day after I received a rating drop of .1. One post later, my rank jumped up again, so I assumed my drop in rating must have affected it in some way. I must be wrong. Perhaps there's some other explanation?

To be honest though, I'm kinda enjoying the mystery. As soon as someone works out how a system like this one operates, inevitably some clown tries to ace it, manipulating the system to acheive an end. I seem to recall it used to be that some folks were posting ridiculous junk in the Chaos and Miscellanea forum in order to boost their post rate, leading to the decision by the powers that be to cut C&M posts from those that contribute to your post totals.

Ignorance can have its merits (or so I like to reassure myself). ;)

Wedge in Red2
18 August 2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone

To be honest though, I'm kinda enjoying the mystery. As soon as someone works out how a system like this one operates, inevitably some clown tries to ace it, manipulating the system to acheive an end.

Yeah, that is a concern. But in this case I think I'd shrug my shoulders and say "So?". If someone wanted to post 5 posts a day just so they could have full vitality points, personally I'd feel sorry for them. That's pretty sad, and really what does it achieve aside from giving them 'bragging rights'.

[Note: I'm not saying if someone posts 5 posts a day they're a loser. I've posted close to 10 myself today. I'm talking about when someone posts junky one liners just for the purpose of increasing their post count :)].

If it's a case where someone wanted to go out of their way to improve their rank so they can appear more authoritative than they are and "throw some weight around", that might be an issue. However I think they'd get shot down via the user rating if they did.

I don't pay a lot of attention to anything except the user rating. That's because user rating is, as far as I can tell, the only real indicator of quality. It is subjective, but I've generally found it to be a good indicator.

J B)

Matt Richard
19 August 2002, 11:53 AM
Okay, Ive been wondering this too. It appears taht there really is no mystery about the VP/WP and level, as we have been told several times that just kinda is a random thing that may be affected by how much you post (volume).

The BIG mystery is in the ranks. this is what ive figured out.

rank definetly is affected by your responsibilitys. I got a huge promotion when i became mod at the DLOS forum, so thats how i know that.

i think the highest rank goes to the two admins, Moridin and Armage, as they are the only two i know of with that rank

post count does still have a major role involved, but i think that post rate is more a factor than actual post count

AT least, thats what i can deduce.

OverLord
21 August 2002, 02:59 PM
I just noticed amaunet who registered 28 April 2002, and haven't posted once, but still made Sub-Lieutenant!
So I think that time has the bigest say in rank.

Matt Richard
21 August 2002, 06:39 PM
yea that makes sense. Ive seen in the past that length usually has more value than post, so we dont get those who just post to get a higher badge.

madpoet
21 August 2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by OverLord
I just noticed amaunet who registered 28 April 2002, and haven't posted once, but still made Sub-Lieutenant!
So I think that time has the bigest say in rank.

You'd think that was the case wouldn't you? Back in the carefree days before I became a parent, I posted on the holonet several times a day, and I managed to get promoted all the way to Lt. Commander. Real Life forced me away from my computer for a while, and when I came back I noticed that I had been demoted back to being a lowly Lt. again. What happened? I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else go down in rank. Why me?

Oh well, the world may never know.

madpoet
21 August 2002, 07:51 PM
GOOD GOD! can you believe that my previous post actually bumped me back up to Lt. Commander?!?

OK, Armage, you're freaking me out. Thanks though!

Matt Richard
21 August 2002, 08:28 PM
What had happened was that when you originally posted, the equation was purely based on post count. After wards, the equation had you lacking in an unknown area (possibly post rate), and so thats why you were demoted.

Actually you werent the only one who got demoted, and the equation actually promoted some people.

madpoet
21 August 2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info Matt. I was a bit confused for a while.

OverLord
22 August 2002, 05:39 AM
Something else I just noticed...
Armage Bedar has 5 in rating!!!
That is something to be proud off.

Wedge in Red2
22 August 2002, 07:10 PM
Something else I just noticed...
Armage Bedar has 5 in rating!!!
That is something to be proud off.

Armages 5 is well earned. If anyone's an epitome of a 5, it's Armage. The guy is constantly curtious, responds quickly to questions, and structures his posts in a logical fashion. When arguing, he will explain both sides of the argument and then say why he has opted for one side over the other.

Basically, Armage is your perfect user. I suspect he's actually a computer programmed to be a perfect user :D. I was very surprised to find he's only 18 or 19, because he acts so mature.

Anyway, just me saying "Armage is the best". No brown nosing intended, just an honest opinion :).

Jon

Matt Richard
22 August 2002, 10:11 PM
The age thing surprised me too, he's only 17.8o

Reverend Strone
24 August 2002, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that blew me away too. No brown-nosing here, but rather- credit where it is well deserved. All kudos to Armage Bedar, the coolest young dude I know of. B)

OverLord
27 August 2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Darklighter
Vitality and wound points are related to posting rate. Post at a rate of 5 times a day, and I suspect you get full points on these. That's a lot of posting!

Donovan Morningfire has more that 5 post/day and he has full Vitality!

Donovan Morningfire
28 August 2002, 05:55 AM
Donovan Morningfire has more that 5 post/day and he has full Vitality!
Granted, when I first joined the Holonet almost a year ago, I ran my mouth like a maniac, making Dennis Leary look timid in comparison (at one point had a post rate exceeding 11 posts/day). I also have to claim a modicum of responsibility for having C&M posts no longer count towards post total, and was likely one of several people who inspired the revision to the rank formula to include length of time of membership. (I think the meteoric rise to Junior Admiral or whatnot gave some folks pause.) So with the good comes the bad. All in all, it's been an interesting first year ;)

As for stats, I might be at full Vitality (good thing for a Jedi), but I'm by definition one of the walking wounded :(

As to demotions, I've noticed this to. There have been times that my rank badge has increased (Admiral to Fleet Admiral), and the next day, or even later the same day, it drops back down. I'm kinda curious if I vanish for a couple years will I return to find myself busted back down to Private? :D

ElfWord
4 December 2002, 07:21 PM
Posts per day is definitely the key to vitality. I make it my goal to post a certain number of helpful/funny posts per day, and I have noticed my vitality raises along with my goal.
I believe that posting new threads are the key to wound points.
Rank I am certain doesn't have a set formula, but rather a number of ways in which you can increase. 1 is post count. Another is posts per day, up to a certain point(I think 3 or 4 posts per day). And also, length of membership.
I also think that posts per day increases your title up to a certain point.
I've also heard that the number of forums you post in has an effect, although I'm not so certain.
A well established fact is that once you've posted 200 posts, you gain the ability to give yourself a special title in place of the New Player, Experienced Player, etc.

Nova Spice
4 December 2002, 07:37 PM
Granted, when I first joined the Holonet almost a year ago, I ran my mouth like a maniac, making Dennis Leary look timid in comparison (at one point had a post rate exceeding 11 posts/day).

Yeah you did! I remember seeing you explode past myself and several others (Vixen, Sithspawn, and FlipDog I believe) in a manner of a few weeks! :D It was almost as good as watching television. If I had had a popcorn machine I probably would have sat back and watched the magic! :D

Anyway, my theory on Vitality Points and Wound Points is this. I noticed that my VP/WP bar isn't exactly full, yet I have a decent post average (2.00) and have a good clip of total posts in my twenty or so months here on the Holonet. I was thinking that perhaps VP measured the percentage of posts made when viewing a thread. What I mean by that, is that if you choose a thread to read and you post to it nearly everytime, you may have your VP bar pretty full. On the other hand, I was thinking that perhaps WP had something to do with your total replies compared to the total amount of threads started. I can vouch for myself and admit that I reply a good deal more than I start threads, which explains why my WP bar is low; its simply not proportional.

I know the above is a bit farfetched, but I just thought I'd add a theory to the mystery of the profile formula. :D Its pretty cool that its such a secret. :p

I wonder if anyone will ever solve it? :raised:

Jim Williams
5 December 2002, 09:56 AM
I think getting something formally Submitted is a way for rank to go up. But I could be wrong.

ElfWord
5 December 2002, 06:14 PM
I have good reason to believe that reaching 301 posts gives you the title of Veteran Player.

mojo1701
5 December 2002, 06:45 PM
can we get some input from the people running the holonet, or r u guys busy doing something else?

I'm just asking B)

Nova Spice
5 December 2002, 07:52 PM
can we get some input from the people running the holonet, or r u guys busy doing something else?

Actually, Moridin and Armage, particularly Armage won't be giving any input since they want it to remain a mystery. It's sorta one of those things that keeps everyone guessing for the sheer fun of it. :D

Moose
5 December 2002, 08:02 PM
I think I must be the most Feeble Lt. Commander in the whole Imperial Navy, I have 25/273 VP and 55/781 WP. I think my rank has to come from my being a member for quite some time now. I am more of a fan of the slow steady progression than the rapid progression:D

Grimace
5 December 2002, 10:57 PM
No input provided.

We like to keep you all guessing. :D

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 05:06 PM
Ok, Grimace, thanks anyway.

I also have another question for fellow holonetters: What determines skill level.

I joined not even a month ago, and I'm almost at 7th level, and when I was almost at the end of my 5th, I became "Skilled Player"

Does anyone have any idea what determines this?

Also, I see that New Players and Skilled Players can't view voting history. What determines this, too?

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 05:22 PM
I also would like to add an addendum to what i previously wrote:

How do people get different names under where I have "Skilled Player"?

I mean, besides the ordinary ones, and besides the moderators.

And also, about PMs: What significance does that whole (PM #)/200 mean?

ElfWord
7 December 2002, 08:48 PM
mojo, once you have 200 posts you gain the ability to make up your own title and put it where your skilled player title is.
All the #/200 thing is is just a counter showing you how many private messages you have in your folders.:p Once you get close to 200, you need to delete some to continue getting PMs. It doesn't have any significance other than that, I am 99.99999999% certain.

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 08:50 PM
You mean, 200 threads, right? Not replies.

Nova Spice
7 December 2002, 08:54 PM
You mean, 200 threads, right? Not replies.

Oh no, ElfWord meant 200 posts period. I don't know if there is anyone on the Holonet who has ever posted two hundred threads. That's quite a lot if you think about it. Whenever you post a thread or a reply it counts towards your total posts (except in Chaos and Miscellanea).

For example, if you mojo had twenty five threads and one hundred seventy-five replies, you'd gain the ability to make up your own title since that would equal two hundred posts.

I hope that clarified what ElfWord was saying. ;)

mojo1701
7 December 2002, 08:56 PM
Yeah, it did clarify what Elfword said. Thanks a lot, Nova Spice

mojo1701
6 January 2003, 04:56 PM
I also have another question two questions for you:

1. Under your user rating, how long, or how many ratings does it take for you to be able to see your history?

2. What do the specific rank insignias designate (I don't know the Star Wars ones, but I do know the Star Trek ones, if I could take those, or if anyone has any questions about those)

mojo1701
6 January 2003, 04:56 PM
I also have another question two questions for you:

1. Under your user rating, how long, or how many ratings does it take for you to be able to see your history?

2. What do the specific rank insignias designate (I don't know the Star Wars ones, but I do know the Star Trek ones, if I could take those, or if anyone has any questions about those)

Jedi Cahlwyn
6 January 2003, 06:03 PM
Methinks somebody's mouse got a little too happy when hitting the Submit button. :D That or he's trying hard to get his number of posts up. hehehe

I just wanted to chime in and say how cool it is that we're all trying to decode the system. It's awesome. I love it, after every post I check my level and rank just in case I've increase. It's so simple and silly of me to get so excited about it but I can't help it. I'm like a kid in the candy store, "did my rank go up???"

Anywho, good gaming to you all!

Wedge in Red2
7 January 2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by mojo1701

It used to be (before the History option was added) that you could click on the number of rank votes you'd had after 3 votes. That way there was enough anonymity - otherwise you could see who gave you your first vote and if it wasn't good you could vote them down too...

Now, I'm not so sure, as I notice you have had 8 votes, yet there is no link there to tell you who has ranked you. I suspect at the same time as you are able to see who has ranked you, you will also get a "History" link, so that you can see what each of the people has written about you.

It seems strange to me, though, that it would take so long. Given the rank system is meant to encourage consideration from users, and the entire point of the History was to provide feedback, yet New Users don't get that feedback for a significant period of time (a couple of months in your case).

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask me to clarify something if it doesn't :). Unfortuantely I don't know the answer to your second question.

Jon

evan hansen
12 January 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by mojo1701

Well, the squares with bars are Imperial, the dots are Rebel, and the triangles are pirate.

As for the specific rank increases in order, I don't remember all the steps that I went through, but there are so many users that perusing the holonet a bit and just holding your mouse over the rank badge should give you a good idea of the specific ranks (eg, if you hold your mouse over my rank badge for a second or two without moving it, it should say "Governor Evan Hansen" in the alt tag box that pops up).

Anyhow, if you do a few of those, you'll figure out the progression of all the basic badges pretty quickly.

mojo1701
12 January 2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by evan hansen:

holding your mouse over the rank badge should give you a good idea of the specific ranks

Ok, thanks, Evan. I see it. I'm senior crewman (as of Jan. 12, 2003)

XavierDrgn
22 March 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by evan hansen

Well, the squares with bars are Imperial, the dots are Rebel, and the triangles are pirate.

As for the specific rank increases in order, I don't remember all the steps that I went through, but there are so many users that perusing the holonet a bit and just holding your mouse over the rank badge should give you a good idea of the specific ranks (eg, if you hold your mouse over my rank badge for a second or two without moving it, it should say "Governor Evan Hansen" in the alt tag box that pops up).

Anyhow, if you do a few of those, you'll figure out the progression of all the basic badges pretty quickly.

i love doing this. gives me an idea of where everyone is at and what the ranks are. having just advanced to Lt.(as of 3/22), i anxiously await as many do, checking my profile to see if ive gone up. kinda like getting XP after a tough fought battle or something. maybe im just weird.

but something i did notice scanning everyones ranks...there was one person who only had 40 posts(i think im at 100+ now) and he was Lt Com one lvl above me. is this because of length of time or like Jim Williams stated, he submitted something to go past me? no matter really.

newayz, i love the aspect of having a rank to come into see everyday and the fact that it makes reading and commenting on the sytem i love so enjoyable makes it even better. Thanks to you Moridin and other Mods who installed it, its been fun.

forgot my tag line.
Fading in the Force in my old age
Xavier D'rgn:raised:

Ardent
28 March 2003, 03:07 AM
Wow it took me entirely too long to read this thread.

Someone, don't remember who (Jim?) mentioned submissions boosting rank. I think a more accurate way to term it is "contribution to the community." e.g. time, involvement in community projects (fan initatives, net.guides, the OJ), getting recognized by the community for certain things...

I won't say why I think this, but I will say that I'm inclined to agree.

Tossk
30 March 2003, 07:46 PM
Do tell, Dr. Worm!

I'm awaiting Ronin to advance above leiutenant, I'm curious as to what is next in line. I have most all of the pirate badges saved in the order you gain them, yes, i do always have my profile up to check my ppd and total posts, 724 posts at 1.73ppd after this post!:D

Lucas Carr
30 March 2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2

Posts Level
0-10 = 1st level
11-20 = 2nd level
21-30 = 3rd level
31-40 = 4th level
41-50 = 5th level
51-60 = 6th level
61-80 = 7th level
81-100 = 8th level
101-120 = 9th level
121-150 = 10th level

I reached 3rd level with my 19th post. And so far my max VP seem to be closely related to how many posts I've made today. But from what I've seen from those that have been here for a while, that won't stay true forever.

The rest I have no theories about yet.

Rogue Janson
31 March 2003, 03:57 AM
The top pirate ranks appear to be majordomo and prince admiral, but I think these may be moderator only ranks. If pirate Lieutenant is equal to rebel Commodore, I think that means there's only one rank above it (equivalent to rebel admiral).

Tossk
31 March 2003, 04:04 AM
I belive one member can mess that theory up, Lokar is a Gunship Capitan, and if Ronin advances, this will be settled. I have come to the cnclusion that eithe his triangles will flip out and be all blue, or the will stay in the same postions and one will be yellow. Thos ranks cn't just be mod-only, we just haven't posted enough to find out!!!:D

I now delve into the unknown reaches of the Holonet!!!:hansolo:

Oh, Lucas, the reason you have that ranking is because of your prodigious posts per day [ppd].;)

Rogue Janson
31 March 2003, 04:09 AM
It looks to me like gunship captain is the rank above lieutenant. There are pretty big gaps between ranks at the top level.

There's another mod/admin/webmaster rank, Pirate leader, btw.

Tossk
31 March 2003, 03:07 PM
Yup, dswegens' ;)

Ardent
31 March 2003, 04:15 PM
Well, Nova Spice and Donovan Morningfire are the highest-ranked members I've seen (w/o digging through long-decayed threads). Imperial Commodore and Rebel Admiral respectively.

A lot of the steady contributors are Group Captains or Line Captains, depending on their affiliations.

Satyrgrrrrl
31 March 2003, 04:20 PM
MUST POST TO GET PROFILE TO LOOK COOL.........

Sorry, just had to do this. :D

I want to be a good poster, really I do!!

Luckily, I respect the boards enough *not* to test some of these theories out by posting on every single thread.

I like what I'm seeing, though.

Keep up the good thinkings. :emperor:

Satyrgrrrrl
31 March 2003, 04:23 PM
Don't get mad at me, but I just noticed that after I posted the above post, I had *two* dots, and I went to 4th level!!! :D

For those keeping score, it was my 31st post, averaging .62 posts per day. :D

Ardent
31 March 2003, 04:25 PM
Hey I resemble that remark!

But seriously, a lot of the consistant contributors have broad ranges and areas of knowledge and intrest, so we voice our opinions in any thread that we think deserves it. Because I'm a self-centered egomaniac, I believe that means every thread. ;)

Honestly, though, you can tell when someone is posting fluff to help their rank or whatever. A post that provides some benefit to the thread is pretty easy for anyone reading the thread to notice, so one that does nothing for the thread is, well, equally easy to notice IMHO.

If you have something to add, positive, negative (but civil), add it. If you tried to contribute to the thread, nobody's going to call you a rank-padder. :/

Rogue Janson
1 April 2003, 04:22 AM
It seems that ranks up to group captain are fairly easy to get to - though newer members may disagree (and it did take me ages to go from squadron leader to wing commander). But above that the ranks really thin out. Donovan Morningfire is the only rebel admiral I know and Wolverine and Kobayashi Maru the only rebel Commodores. And Lokar and Ronin are the only two high ranking pirates I've seen.

Tossk
1 April 2003, 02:54 PM
Pirate ranking dosn't really transfer over to rebel or Impy ranks. Dr_Worm was a leuteneant, but he went Imp and is a Line Commander.;)

Ardent
1 April 2003, 07:05 PM
Obviously you shouldn't be a pirate. ;)

Tossk
1 April 2003, 07:19 PM
Pirate's are the sharpest of all!!!:P

Angles of triangles are less in size! [poke poke!];) :D
I'm sharp as a spear, now time to make rebel jokes, they're sharp as a marble!!!:D

Note: i'm making a big, fat, joke, take no offense, please.;)

Jim Williams
1 April 2003, 07:35 PM
Hey, at least we Rebs haven't lost our Marbles. We can even make them stick to a badge...And there handy back-up cesta ammo! We rebs have to make do with all sorts of archaic weaponry.

And we only make war criminals walk out of airlocks...

I now begin the long haul toward my 5th marble. My one year anniversary is coming up "soon", I wonder if that will help.

Dr_Worm
1 April 2003, 09:20 PM
Dr_Worm was a leuteneant, but he went Imp and is a Line Commander.

Wow I didn't think people would notice. And I might just change again...who knows. Seriously though just got bored looking at the same rank badge so I re-affiliated myself. In the game I have never played a character that was heavily affiliated with either the rebels or the Imps, so really I am more of an Imperial Mole/Worm.

I recently noticed that I broke a thousand posts, and I can say with all honesty that I feel I have never had a fluff-post. They might not have all been on topic, but they were all comments I thought added to either the information or the fun of the thread. It is really werid to me that I have only been here about 21 months. It seems way longer. This place is a regular part of most of my days.

Rogue Janson
2 April 2003, 03:54 AM
I now begin the long haul toward my 5th marble. My one year anniversary is coming up "soon", I wonder if that will help.
I wouldn't get too optimistic Jim I reckon you need over 1,000 posts to make commodore. You did make wing commander a while before me, but I made group captain only shortly after you.
Not that I'm implying any kind of race or anything ...

Jim Williams
2 April 2003, 04:47 AM
Vroom, vroom (Jim looks over at Rogue Janson )

I'm glad this isn't the Chaos board!!!

I even tried to bribe Armage with $$$ and he just said, "Thanks"...

(Hint: it's April 2, but that was a joke)

Crymoon
2 April 2003, 05:20 AM
Hi
Level and VP is connected to number of post for sure. as for WP it seems like number of days since the moment you registered.

It's fun to watch your rank and think why did it go up... or most of the time ... why didn't it.. :)

And by the way:
PIRATES RULEZ THE SKY, LET ALL NAVIES BEWARE!

Rogue Janson
2 April 2003, 10:08 AM
Actually I think I'm closer to Tossk (and might have a better chance of beating him). Then again he's a pirate, so I wouldn't have any authority over him.
ahem.

Are we agreed that the higher ranks are like this?

Rebel
Wing Commander Group Captain Commodore Admiral
Pirate
Boarding Team Leader Capture Crew Leader Lieutenant Gunship Captain
Imperial
Commander Captain Line Captain Commodore

Incidentally, Fred Getche joined in march 2000, has over 900 posts and is still only a group captain.

mojo1701
2 April 2003, 12:42 PM
I know what you mean. I've been stuck at Senior Crewman for (what feels like) the longest time.

Darklighter
2 April 2003, 12:42 PM
Wow. Look at this ol' thread of mine go! Cool.

*and the beat goes on*

Lucas Carr
2 April 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Crymoon

WP it seems like number of days since the moment you registered.

I only have WP: 4 and I joined more then four days ago. Not by much though, but those who have been here longer then I have, could perhaps tell us if the number of days since you registered is a ballpark figure for WP.

Lucas Carr
2 April 2003, 01:08 PM
I just noticed that my WP has been going up by one everyday since I began keeping tabs on my stats two days ago.

mojo1701
2 April 2003, 01:49 PM
Lucas and Crymoon, I think we already figured (was it in this thread or another one?) out that WP was how often you posted a new thread.

Lucas Carr
2 April 2003, 04:41 PM
When you mention it, I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

But is that the total number of threads I have posted in, or the number of new threads I create?

Tossk
2 April 2003, 05:01 PM
I need another 60 posts to get you, Jim! You too, Rouge Janson!:P

#741!

Oh! Thread Idea! i'll get you, my pretties!!!!!!:D

Rouge8
2 April 2003, 07:05 PM
This scared me majorly. I was a member before Nova or Donovan!
Sure, I couldn't get my account working until about October, but that's beside the point:rolleyes:
Not posting much anymore probably has lead to my rank stasis, though I try but everyone else post what I want first!

My new theory:
Post and Post Rate first
then time.

Basing this off of my profile entirely though.

Dr_Worm
2 April 2003, 07:17 PM
I don't know...Ardent is the same raink as I am, but I joined quite a bit before him. On the other hand his posts per day is much higher than mine. I think you guys are oversimplifying it: Most parts of the profile are probably a result of more than one factor.

Ardent
2 April 2003, 07:27 PM
Fear my participation level! MWUAHAHAHAHA!

So, if threads started = WP, then threads participated in = VP? Yes, no, maybe?

Tossk
2 April 2003, 07:31 PM
VP= ratio for your Posts. Per. Day. [P.P.D.]
Wp= I don't really know.:( :D

Dr_Worm
2 April 2003, 07:34 PM
Okay Threads Started cannot directly = WP. If that was the case I would have started an average of 1.76 threads per day since I started here. I know I am a reagualr poster, but I only post a thread when I think it is a question that has not been asked, so I know I have not started that many threads.

Nova Spice
2 April 2003, 08:14 PM
This scared me majorly. I was a member before Nova or Donovan!

Were you? I remember joining in April of 2001 and Donovan joined sometime in September of 2001. I thought you joined after he did, but alas I guess I could be wrong!

Anyway, I think the ranking formula is and forever will be, a mystery. I've thrown my guesses about it in this thread, but again, they are just that: guesses. I doubt we'll ever know the "true" formula, as it has become one of the "enigmas" of the Holonet. :D

And personally, I hope it stays that way! ;)

Jim Williams
2 April 2003, 09:25 PM
maybe Armage Bedar just decides arbitrarily to raise people's ranks once in a while. You have to admit it's possible...he would definitely keep that a secret so we didn't...I don't know...cry about it or something. You can bet i'll let Rogue Janson know the second I get promoted...and why it might have happened...

:bothan:

Vroom vroom!

:)

Rogue Janson
3 April 2003, 03:13 AM
Hah, I was a member before Nova Spice, I never knew that.
The first post I ever made on these boards is here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=29720#post29720), as usual complaining about the rules. I posted about a dozen times before I forgot the password or something. You might note 2 things from the thread: 1) I'm a Wing Commander solely by virtue of time; 2) Fulongamer is still pushing his starship rules at every opportunity over 2 years later.

coldskier0320
3 April 2003, 04:08 AM
I know what you mean. I've been stuck at Senior Crewman for (what feels like) the longest time.

Hey, mojo, we might be on to something here, we're at the same level (i think) and youre a rank lower than me and youve been on the boards longer. I think i have a higher posts per day rating however so that probably has something to do with it.

Oh well, happy hunting guys!

Rogue Janson
3 April 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by coldskier0320

Hey, mojo, we might be on to something here, we're at the same level (i think) and youre a rank lower than me and youve been on the boards longer. I think i have a higher posts per day rating however so that probably has something to do with it.

Oh well, happy hunting guys!

I think it may be explained by the distribution of your posts over time, I think there's a fixed time between promotions, regardless of your posts. So if someone posts more than you and ranks up first, even if you increase your post rate and catch up with them, you won't level up at the same post.
If that makes sense to anyone else.

Ardent
3 April 2003, 09:46 AM
I dunno, I spent next to no time at Lt. Cmdr. and Captain, Janson. I was there and then I wasn't about a week later. Was odd. ;)

Tossk
3 April 2003, 04:53 PM
Level is directly related to posts. The percent of completion depends on your level. Early levels get more XP per post, and it slacks off the higher you get. :rolleyes:

There isn't any form of limiter for rank advancement. If someone managed 700 posts in 4 weeks, an unheardof ammount, then they woul hit what I am or leutenant like that.;)

coldskier0320
4 April 2003, 04:25 AM
I noticed i wasnt getting as much XP per post, Tossk. I was wondering aboot that...

Crymoon
4 April 2003, 04:30 AM
I believe the higher the level the les XP we get... it would seem for me that way... but maybe I'm wrong... NO I AM RIGHT I AM ALWAYS RIGHT...
sorry for that I'm trying to keep my sith side under control but on a days like this it sometimes wins...
I ALWAYS WIN!!! :D
Nope...

Every level is more difficult to complete... and I think it's good... it was too easy it wouldn't be as much fun.

mojo1701
4 April 2003, 06:11 AM
It's like an RPG. The higher your level, the more XP you need to get each subsequent level.

Crymoon
4 April 2003, 06:18 AM
you know what? I have discovered one interesting thing which as i'm kind of investigator in nature suprises me, I don't care how it works..

Let it stay a mystery as someone here already said...

The other thing is that I'm coming close to the 100th post... yeahhha... it's like a 1000 for others... probably will reach it by Monday.

I just want to say one thing (drat that's another one thing i want to say :)) I love it in here... !!!!

And my friday sith part too :D

Whoever reads it... Have a great weekend!!!! And play some great RPG..!!!

Nova Spice
4 April 2003, 09:29 AM
Hah, I was a member before Nova Spice, I never knew that.

Okay, lol, I just looked at the confusion. I actually became a member in April of 2001, which was about nine months before you joined Janson. I think Rouge looked at the months and forgot to check the year, because I was a member for nearly a year before he joined as well.

I'm one of the older farts. :D

Ardent
4 April 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
Okay, lol, I just looked at the confusion. I actually became a member in April of 2001, which was about nine months before you joined Janson. I think Rouge looked at the months and forgot to check the year, because I was a member for nearly a year before he joined as well.

Heh I was thinking that too. :/

He joined before me though. ;)

Lucas Carr
5 April 2003, 06:29 AM
I was gone for a day, that is I didn't post for over 24 hours. As a result my PPD dropped about 1.3, VP dropped about 30 points, and WP increased by 2. I checked my stats after I had made one post today and I also noticed that I am now considered a skilled player.

Tossk
5 April 2003, 06:23 PM
Wp is linked with your time and post rate here, as is your title, which it has been mentioned, can be changed when you get 200 posts. VP is directly linkeed to your PPD. PPD is an average derived from your total posts divided by your days registered. In essesce, it's easy to loose your PPD rate fast and gain it back just as fast, but the rate of change slows down greatly the more you're here. For instance, my PPD increases by one hundreth for every Four posts over my current PPD.8o

Vanger Chevane
6 April 2003, 06:28 AM
is know for certain (unless Armage changes it on us).

After your 201st post (post_num>200) if you edit your profile, right below the box to fill in your birthday there appears a custom text box.

You can use it to change your status line from "Experienced/Hardcore/etc. Player" to whatever you want (keep it clean, and no ads, etc. please)

Tossk
6 April 2003, 09:11 AM
I don't alter mine, 'Hardcore Player' suits me well enough; so I leave well enough alone!;)

XavierDrgn
6 April 2003, 01:16 PM
I know having just broken 100 posts im anxiously looking forward to the day i can change my name tag. i guess it kinda makes it personal and makes the Holonet a little more my home away from home so to speak.

that and i just watched spongebobs houseparty and want it to read Hi my name is Patrick...backwards!

The Force be with you

Crymoon
6 April 2003, 10:35 PM
Finnaly someone I can try to catch up ... :)

Will try to get you and over take you so get ready... :D

Rogue Janson
7 April 2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I'm one of the older farts. :D

Seems I didn't make clear in my previous post - I joined with another identity in (I think) March 2001, which is what the link in my post refers to, then forgot the password or something and created another.

Tossk
7 April 2003, 03:13 PM
... As did I.:( What I would give for those extra posts right now...:(

Rouge8
7 April 2003, 06:04 PM
I had to have joined in 2001. I was in 5th Grade. In 6th, I posted practically daliy.
My account sat for a year because of activation problems. Plus, I used AOL. By 2002 we had cancelled AOL.
I got Gamer 1 in November 00. Sometime after the new year I joined here.

Or is my whole life a year off?

EDIT: Plus, I remember posting daily in December of 01. It was before I moved, so I think it really was 2001.

Maybe RPGNetwork doesn't like Rouge8.

Tossk
9 April 2003, 05:35 PM
Ok, Ive' got an Idea, when you reach a new level, like 1-32 or more; post how many posts it took. i'm 1 post away from 26th, so it takes 840 posts to get there. Later, I shall list them all up!;) in such format:

Level Posts
16.......................?
17.......................?
19.......................?
20.......................?
21.......................?
23.......................?
24.......................?
25.......................?
30.......................?
31.......................?
32.......................?
33.......................?
34.......................?
35.......................?
36.......................?
37.......................?
38.......................?
etc......................etc.

Lucas Carr
9 April 2003, 06:35 PM
Level Posts
1.......0?
2.......<= 14

Crymoon
10 April 2003, 04:48 AM
Have just reached 12th lvl with 168 posts

Tossk
10 April 2003, 12:47 PM
I have edited the previous post to reflect your info! Thanks!;)

Vanger Chevane
11 April 2003, 01:42 PM
Level 13 starts at 201 posts, the same point as editing yer status.

Crymoon
14 April 2003, 04:17 AM
Hey... I needed only 195 for 13th lvl... hmmm..... maybe it isn't that easy... maybe it depends also on some other things... as post rate or sth like that?

Crymoon
14 April 2003, 11:04 PM
I've breached the 200 posts barrier but can't find the possibility of changing my status line... How can I do it?
Does anybody know?
Hellooooooo...... ellooooo.... looooo...loooo.....looooo

Is anybody here? ..... ere........er.......e.e....e.e.e.e.....

Drat...... aaaaatttt....at..att..at...

:D :D

Wedge in Red2
15 April 2003, 02:13 AM
It seems to take a day or two before it kicks in (from memory). You do it through the normal edit profile method (as in through the Preferences menu at the top left, then select Profile, then find the edit profile link).

Hope that helps,

Jon

Crymoon
15 April 2003, 02:19 AM
thanx Wedge and watch out for pirates.... :)

Jake Sunspot
15 April 2003, 12:55 PM
I just hit 18th level at 373 posts.

Vanger Chevane
15 April 2003, 01:49 PM
Got to the top bar, Preferences -> Profile.

Edit Profile. Right below your fill-in-the-birthday box should be Custom User text.

Put your desired tagline in the New Title box, and do not check the Reset box.

The Reset box pushes you back to the default line - "Exeperienced/Hardcore/whatever Player.

At the bottom of the page klik the Submit Modifications line.

Check your profile to see if it worked, you may have to refresh the Jawascrip popup window (F5 for Imperial Evil, Ctrl-R for most other browsers) to get it to catch on to the changes.

Crymoon
16 April 2003, 02:55 AM
Ok.. guys two things...

my 14th lvl started after 225th post...

And there is no custom line after my birthday menu... nor anywhere else... somebody has stolen it!!!!!! He/She will feel my wrath....!!!!

The funniest thing is that I didn't even want to change it, only to know that I can... ;)

"the Anger the road to the Dark Side is!"
"Shut up!!!! Shut up!!!! Shut up!!!!"
Swoooooosch....
"And you teaching the road to death were, you little bas#$@d"
:D

ElfWord
16 April 2003, 06:38 AM
Level 22 upon reaching 575 posts.

coldskier0320
16 April 2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
"Exeperienced/Hardcore/whatever Player.

Lol, i think ol' Tossk got you there, i believe his status line is indeed a custom job;)

Tossk
16 April 2003, 03:00 PM
I apologise for my abscense from the forums, I've been away from home for a while, and won't be back into full swing until sunday or monday.:( And that isn't a fakie title!:P I earned it for most improved post rate!B)

Tossk
20 April 2003, 12:56 PM
Oh, BTW; I'm winning, Rogue Janson! beatin' you too, Jim!!!!!!:P :hansolo:

Edit: edited the chart on page 7:)

Jim Williams
20 April 2003, 07:51 PM
And I can't figure out why. In between levels, posted a new thread this morning, not at my anniversary date....Does anyone know how to check how many threads you have started? Short of reveiwing all of one's posts and counting the ones that are started threads (No thanks, don't need to know that bad)?

Tossk
20 April 2003, 08:15 PM
You hit your PPD level that was required to get that kudos rank, or you got enough posts for it to work;) I'm looking forward to my 1000th post.:bothan:

Lucas Carr
21 April 2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Lucas Carr
Level Posts
1 0?
2 <= 14
3 19
4 28
5 39
6 52
7 66
8 82
9 100
10 121

I've updated this list with two new levels.

Jim Williams
22 April 2003, 03:50 AM
Tossk, it's weird that my PPD is so much lower than when I was new. As for sheer number of posts, it was an "odd" number. Plus I thought # of posts would just be for level, not rank...except for this mystical 1000 posts. Hmmm.

Crymoon
22 April 2003, 03:54 AM
I can have a custom line... I can have a custom line!!!! NANANANANA!!!!

And in like 2 or 3 posts will reach 15 lvl... :)

I'm so happy !!!! NANANANANANA!!!!!

Swoooosh.... ANd now you're dead... the sith will take over your life from now on... ;) BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

[Edit] 259 posts = 15 lvl .... NANANANANA!

Tossk
22 April 2003, 04:40 AM
It's not friday.... um...[picks up ewok] i'll set this straight {hurls poor fella at Crymoon};)

Lucas Carr
23 April 2003, 01:04 PM
I became a Squadron Leader after 122 posts, or so I think. It might have been a little before that because I might not have been paying as much attention as I should have. Does 122 posts sound about right for that rank?

Tossk
23 April 2003, 02:08 PM
982 posts for me, but I think it really depends on how long you've been here and your PPD. oh, BTW, 1,000 Posts for your truly!:D B) :hansolo:

now for the flyover and confetti!
:isd: :isd:

Tossk
23 April 2003, 06:46 PM
Chart Updated!;)

Lucas Carr
23 April 2003, 08:21 PM
Level Posts

Just got another level.:)

Tossk
24 April 2003, 01:18 AM
Thanks Lucas, it's uptdated to here.;)

Ardent
24 April 2003, 09:59 AM
Welp, I just made Commodore. 1095 posts for me @ 3.63 per day. :) I told you I'd catch you Nova.

Tossk
24 April 2003, 05:12 PM
Ardent, you wouldn't mind listing the Imp rank badges from lowest to highest, would you?:(

Ardent
24 April 2003, 06:49 PM
Nope, not at all. Cadet -> Ensign -> Sub-Lieutenant -> Lieutenant -> Lt. Commander -> Commander -> Captain -> Line Captain -> Commodore.

Thus far, Nova and I are the only Imperial Commodores I've seen, and I haven't seen an Imperial Admiral that is a member. So we'll see.

Tossk
24 April 2003, 07:00 PM
Ok, i've seen High Admiral, Grand Admiral, Moff, And Supremne Moff. How to orginize them... :(

Ardent
24 April 2003, 07:14 PM
Governor, Moff and Grand Moff aren't strictly military ranks. I'm fairly sure they staff-only ranks. ;)

The higher Imperial rank structure is Rear/Vice Admiral -> Admiral -> High Admiral -> Grand Admiral.

Crymoon
25 April 2003, 08:25 AM
I've gained a lvl and havent't noticed when... sorry will be more careful naext time.

Tossk
25 April 2003, 07:34 PM
No worries! oh, woh's a rear or vice admiral? need those badges!:(

Ardent
25 April 2003, 08:43 PM
I don't even know if those badges are included in the Holonet. You're going to have to be patient and wait for Nova and I to find out. ;)

Rogue Janson
26 April 2003, 03:13 AM
What's the Imperial rank equivalent to rebel Admiral?
I think Donovan's over 2,000 posts and he's still an admiral, so I think that's the cap for normal members.

Moridin and Armage are both Grand Admirals, Deck is a High Admiral. If there is a Grand Moff rank, no-one seems to have it, though several mods are Supreme Moffs. I'd say it goes Governor, Moff, Supreme Moff, though I'm still not sure whether there are separate ranks for moderators and webmasters.

Tossk
26 April 2003, 06:22 AM
Lokar with his 2020 posts sits at what might be the top of the Pirate section with Gunship Captian. Maybe he could rech Elite Bodygaurd if he tried...:raised:

Ardent
26 April 2003, 06:48 AM
Welp, I'm a Rebel Rear Admiral (Lower Half), so...I guess Nova and I still have soime stretching room.

Crymoon
28 April 2003, 07:23 AM
17th lvl - 332...

ok... I'm past 250.. coming to 500... :) Though I'll never catch up with Tossk even if I wanted.. :D..

Tossk
28 April 2003, 03:47 PM
I'm going to re-post the chart here for those who can't sift back a page. ;)
Level_________ Posts

Crymoon
28 April 2003, 10:39 PM
It looks nice.... We have to fill it all...!!!!! HAVE TO!!!! YES.... HICK...
sorry my droid from company wanted got over me... he even defeated the sith...
although he was sleeping at the moment... It shouldn't happen again... at least not today...

But it looks as if we're have more then we lack... (of course till 38 lvl...)

BTW what is the highest level... Armage as Chris Curtis is at 32nd.. Xanderich and Grimace 33rd... Moridin 34th...Frobi 36th....... does it get any better..? :)

Rogue Janson
29 April 2003, 02:39 AM
Donovan Morningfire and Lokar are both at level 37. They're the highest I can find.

Tocath
29 April 2003, 09:38 AM
Quick question: Why don't I have a rank or badge? I've seen people with a few less posts than me get both! Confused.

Tocath

Rogue Janson
29 April 2003, 09:41 AM
You can choose whether to have a rank badge or not, and what allegiance you have. Go to Preferences>Profile>Edit Profile from the menu at the top of a holonet page and pick an option from Rank Allegiance at the bottom.

Tocath
29 April 2003, 09:41 AM
Ahh. Just figured it out. If your affiliation is listed as none, you get nothing. Those radio buttons are confusing. I thought I was a Pirate.

Tocath

Tossk
29 April 2003, 02:13 PM
Also, if you manage to post only enough to keep off the cut list whenever they do it, and you've been here from 1999, then you get the equivalent of Capture Crew Leader in the Pirate affiliation.;)

Crymoon
29 April 2003, 10:25 PM
Do you mean you have to be a member for 5 years or that I have to go back in time to 1999 an apply then...?

Rogue Janson
30 April 2003, 02:15 AM
Sadly the longest serving member of the holonet - no, it's not armage, I suggest you look at the member list if you're interested - doesn't have a rank badge or we could find out the highest non-moderator rank.

Tossk
30 April 2003, 02:28 AM
No, I'm saying you have a minimum rank badge "level", and you con only go higher than that.;)

Crymoon
30 April 2003, 03:11 AM
Ok.. I get it... I think... :)
.... sorry but i'm feeling friday in the air... no work tomorrow and the next day... :) AM so happy :D

Darth_Cassed
2 May 2003, 09:33 PM
And the world spins backwards when this thread has more posts than Conversion Requests and much less views.....always like to look at the relationships between Views and Posts..

In any case, we have a lot of conjectures, as well as facts going. Let's keep it goin HoloNetters!

Lucas Carr
2 May 2003, 11:48 PM
Level Posts

I thought that levels might be determined by other things then the number of posts, but so far the number of posts needed for others are consistent with my own notes.

Jake Sunspot
3 May 2003, 01:27 AM
you're only 5 posts away from being able to edit your own tag line

farr0095
3 May 2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
Sadly the longest serving member of the holonet - no, it's not armage, I suggest you look at the member list if you're interested - doesn't have a rank badge or we could find out the highest non-moderator rank.

There's something very fishy about that member. Sorted by date, I get what you're saying. But change the &perpage= number and you might find a different view. His profile has an interesting twist to it as well. A very strange fellow, in my opinion.

farr0095
3 May 2003, 03:17 AM
I believe, having done my research, that rank and level may be only remotely related. What I've found is that a very large contribution to Rank is time, although there are several "Group Captains" or "Imperial Captains" who are less than level 10, some less than level 5. Just a thought.

I carefully keep my methods quiet, for fear that Big Brother will strike me down.

Vanger Chevane
3 May 2003, 06:40 AM
I'd be surprised if the Mods/Admins couldn't "waiver" someone to a rank well-beyond what their level indicated.

It may also be a glitch in the system. Holonet's been known to eat the occasional account.

Tossk
3 May 2003, 12:23 PM
It seems for every year you've been here, you get a rank badge one level higher than last year, starting with Ensign or whatever, and going up. ;) Posts supplement his, as does becoming a Mod.B)

And account eating, it's due to those who are banned, or those who have become too inactive.:rolleyes: They don't know what they're missing!

Sasche
3 May 2003, 08:47 PM
I can't believe I just read through all 11 pages of this thread. And I didn't learn a thing!!!

OK, that's a lie. I did learn about the "status line" thing. And Tossk's "level per posting" is nice.

------------------------
But I still have NO CLUE what the WP and VP signify. While most people discuss the posts per day rate. The length of time that you've been a member was suggested. Also, the number of threads that were started has also been tossed out there.

But with all these suggestions, they never suggest the meaning of the "current vs. max" points for both VP and WP.
As I write this, my WP are maxed out (12/12) and my VP are less than half (44/96).
Any ideas (or explanations of previous ideas that I may have missed)?

Tossk
3 May 2003, 09:15 PM
WP evades me inssecantly, by VP is a ratio, or fraction form of your PPD. It increases with each leveling up.;)

Nova Spice
4 May 2003, 11:50 AM
Donovan Morningfire and Lokar are both at level 37. They're the highest I can find.

Kayle Skolaris is actually the highest "level" Holonet member with over 2100 posts. I'm not sure if there is actually a limit to the level you can grow.

I do know that I'm the 7th highest poster on the Holonet, and I'm behind Mr. Skolaris by nearly six hundred posts! 8o However, I am only four levels behind him..........gaining "XP" obviously slows down as you post more and more.

Dalla Madine
6 May 2003, 01:57 PM
I was pretty low and then I noticed someone's scale that they thought of. So I tried it out....IT WORKS! I had 16 and I posted 5 times. And then I moved to 3rd level and my rank went up! Thanx...now I am only 4 away again!!! Anyhoozles I just thought you should know! ;) :D

-Dalla Madine- :daala:

Tossk
6 May 2003, 02:05 PM
That's what it's there for, Glad it worked, sis.;)

Crymoon
7 May 2003, 08:10 AM
ok 18th lvl with 374 posts.... had some slow time recently... :D

Dalla Madine
7 May 2003, 12:48 PM
I need to try and get on more...that way I can get a higher level too. If I am lucky I will post three more before my time is up and I'll be at 4th level...hopefully!!!! :D

Tossk
10 May 2003, 07:56 AM
Guess what? I'm now First Mate! rechable at 1228 posts, with a PPD of 2.68.:D

Sasche
10 May 2003, 08:04 AM
Congrats Tossk
I was wondering if the designation of Rank might also have something to do with "time of membership" also?
I've gone up two levels and kept my PPD above 2, but my rank hasn't changed from "Flight Officer" for a while now.

Any ideas yet about the VP or more to the point the %VP? I've consistenly been below 50% VP whenever I've looked.

Tossk
10 May 2003, 08:37 AM
Rank has a base in time spent here. For about every year you're here, you gain a rank badge one level higher. To get beyond that, you have to post and keep being active to gain more levels.

VP is a percentage based on your PPD, with 5 PPD equalling 100%, so having a PPD rate of 2.5, you'd have 50% of the maximum VP for your level.;) That's why your Vitality is at that level.:)

Ardent
10 May 2003, 01:41 PM
grats Tossk, welcome to the Rambler's Club ;)

Tossk
10 May 2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Tell me more about these... Ramblers... :D

Ardent
10 May 2003, 03:18 PM
We wouldn't want to waste everyone's time with a rambling about the Ramblers, would we? I mean, that would be highly inconsiderate. And rude. Frankly, it's just in poor taste to go on and on about the Ramblers when there's absolutely no need to. And talking about the Ramblers assuredly involves losts of rambling. Rambling on and on...

Tossk
10 May 2003, 03:28 PM
And so I continue to ramble About the Ramblers.. Well, I'm happy to be the 2nd person I know to have this Rank:D Now, on to Wound Points... How do they work?:raised:

Rogue Janson
10 May 2003, 05:07 PM
I think your max wound points is a function of time, rather than being linked to posts or anything else. But I've still very little idea about what gets you wounds - it's a matter of guessing about what other things they could measure - post length? new threads started?

Tossk
10 May 2003, 05:41 PM
It definitly based on posts, and not time or PPD.
Ardent and I joined at different times, we had different PPD, and different legths of posts, i'll bet you; but we had the same posts, and our Wp was the same. I'm one post ahead of him, and I'm one Wp ahead of him right now...:? What does it all mean?

Ardent
10 May 2003, 05:47 PM
Your WP max is a lot higher. Hm. Weird. ;)

Tossk
10 May 2003, 06:24 PM
Hmm, yes, odd, and your winning again...:)

Rogue Janson
11 May 2003, 05:34 AM
Comparing my profile with Tossk and Ardent shows some interesting things about WPs.

Both have almost the same number of posts, almost 50% more than me, and the same level, but Tossk joined shortly after me and Ardent 5 months after.

Now Tossk has a higher max WP than me, but not by an enormous amount (2732 compared with 2446). Ardent on the other hand, despite a higher post count has fewer (1895). So that makes me suspect part of WPs comes down to time, though I'm not sure what the other component in it might be.

In terms of how many we actually have, both Ardent and Tossk have almost exactly the same number of WPs (currently 418 & 417).
So I'd agree with Tossk that they appear to be worked out by number of posts.

Which is interesting because it means WP% of max should mirror VPs, since WP = posts, max WP roughly = time therefore max WP/actual WP = posts/time, the same function as VPs.

Jake Sunspot
11 May 2003, 12:25 PM
As if that didn't make things confusing enough, I have 1751 max WP which is only slightly fewer than Ardent who joined 5 months after me. Ardent and Tossk are about the same level with about the same post count, with vastly different max WP. I joind a month before Tossk and he has considerably more max WP than I do. :?

Now, I'm not as prolific as either of these fellows, so I am much lower level (just hit 19 with the post before this one), but I've been here longer than both of them. If max WP was solely a function of time on the holonet I would have more than either of them, so there's got to be more to it.

Jake Sunspot
11 May 2003, 12:28 PM
Now (as of the starting of this post) my max WP have jumped to 1754, which implies that it increases with each post. I'll check my profile after I post this and see if its gone up 3 more, but I bet it will have

EDIT: yep, I'm at 1756 now....curious :?

The last post increased my max WP by 3 and this one by only 2, so perhaps post length has something to do with it as well.

Dalla Madine
11 May 2003, 12:42 PM
One word....CONFUSING! 8o Speak english man! oh well, I think Tossk will be a good addition to your Rambler's club thingy...but he doesn't ramble as much as me!

Tossk
11 May 2003, 12:42 PM
I think WP are directly connected to posts, and Max WP is number of hours registered divided by 4, or so I guess.;)

Eidt: Dalla, he is speaking Engilsh, look at our Profiles, you might get it then.:rolleyes:

Rogue Janson
11 May 2003, 01:13 PM
I think you're right about WPs coming from no. of posts, but max WPs is a bit of a mystery. I did think it was primarily down to time, but have a look at some of the holonet's earliest members.

Taking some examples - Armage Bedar, the holonet's second member, has 467/8034, with 1401 posts. Chris Curtis has 480/8124 with 1442 posts. Vizou holonet member #3 has a tiny 9/782 with 28 posts. Digital Ruse has 78/3344 with 236 posts.

So it looks like max WPs is almost definitely a function of time and post no., though I can't quite work out the weightings. Seems an odd decision for a formula, possibly it's so that people who post rapidly don't hit their max WP.

Edit: Weirdly, 4 posts on from this, my max WP has gone up by 5, and my actual WPs by only 1.

Crymoon
11 May 2003, 11:03 PM
OK. I'll make things more confusing.. :D

Tossk and Ardent are the same lvl and have the same amount of max VP, which ccan be connected to thei number of posts (at the timeI checked) 1266 to 1267. they have also the same amount of current WP but their Max WP are just curiously strange, and only thing which works for Tossk is longer membership time.
But max WP can't only be based on that as Dalla which joined way before me has only 30 more than me.

I could compare myself with Jake who is just a lvl higher.
he mosted 26 posts more then me and has way less VP then me. 80/455 to 574/574 (this can be connected to av. post per day - 0,88 and 7,79). His max WP is waaaaaaay more then mine (1774 to 182) which can mean that they are coonected to time but not only (as seen on Dalla's example)

Darth Cassed is the same and joined wow... almost one and a alf year before me. He has just 2 posts less than me and except of current WP no stats comperable. his 133 to 134 mine.
So I'd definetely would say that current WP are connected to number of posts, though the rate it happens seems to elude me now.
His max WP are 1879 to my 182 so it would again work for the time theory. His VP are less than mine what could again be connected to post per day.
Here I can compare Jake and Darth - they have 428 posts (0,88) [Jake] and 400 (0,79) [Darth] - 80/455 and 66/440 VP. (Jake joined a bit later then Darth - and his max WP are 1774 to 1879)

That's all folks... :D

Crymoon
12 May 2003, 01:27 AM
As I got my Sith back i'll post another post...

YEAH TELL THEM! HOW WE ARE GETTING BETTER!!! YEAH!!! WE ARE GOING TO BE THE BEST!!! WE'LL EAT THE EMPEROR FOR BREAKFAST!!!

sorry for him...

I've just reached 19 lvl with 419 (or 418) posts. So I can compare myself better with Jake.
My VP increased to 631/631
curretn wp increased to 139 (so 17 posts incresed it by 5) and my max WP went up by 4.

so the max Wp is porbably time and level dependent... But as my post rate is quite high it seems I have one of highest VP.. at least at that lvl... :D
THE SITH RULEZ!!!!

learn to write...:D

YOU TOO!!!!!

Ouch...

Rogue Janson
12 May 2003, 03:08 AM
What we need to check max WP are a) people with the same time and # of posts (who should have the same max WP); b) people with the same time and max WP, but a different # of posts; and finally c) people with the same # of posts and max WP, but a different time. That should let us check that max WP is based on time and posts and roughly work out the weightings.

Jake Sunspot
12 May 2003, 12:36 PM
Well if I post roughly 500 more times. then we can compare my stats with yours Janson we both joined last january.

Rogue Janson
12 May 2003, 12:43 PM
ok, you get on it Jake.

I managed to mess up my last post completely.

a) people with the same time and # of posts (who should have the same max WP); b) people with the same time and max WP, but a different # of posts; and finally c) people with the same # of posts and max WP, but a different time.
eagle eyed readers will notice that if WP is based on time and # of posts, both b) and c) are actually impossible. Not sure what I was thinking there.

Rogue Janson
12 May 2003, 12:54 PM
I did a little check and WPs are without a doubt based on posts and time.

eg. the good Jake Sunspot and I both joined in the same month (8 days between us).

I have 904 posts, Jake 431 and we have 301 and 143 WPs, respectively.
The ratio of my posts to his is 2.097:1 and ratio of WPs is 2.105:1.

So pretty conclusive on that issue.

Ardent
12 May 2003, 05:44 PM
That's a pretty good mean there Janson. But there's some unknown quantity in there still. ;)

Lucas Carr
12 May 2003, 10:32 PM
Since I do not post every day, I have seen my Max WP go up even when I do not post, thus Max WP is, as least in part, based on time.

Crymoon
12 May 2003, 10:37 PM
If you compare eg. People who joined on 31.X.99 you get
Vizou - 781 with 28 posts
Pel - 4909 with 468
Templar - 4682 with 425
Chris Curtis - 8128 with 1442
Genghis12 - 3578 with 253
WingCommanderLuna - 1715 with 76
Chris Sinon - 926 with 34
Roy Cowan - 2193 with 110.

to be honest I have forgotten to write their lvls down, it may be possible that the rate is connected to them too. :) Just more data for you guys... :D

Rogue Janson
13 May 2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Ardent
That's a pretty good mean there Janson. But there's some unknown quantity in there still. ;)
I believe the slight difference in there comes from the 8 day gap between Jake and I joining. If you can find some people with the same number of posts who joined at different times (might be easiest with newer members), you should find the same relationship.

to be honest I have forgotten to write their lvls down, it may be possible that the rate is connected to them too.
I think we've already established that level is based on number of posts, so there will be a link between that and wound points.

Oh, incidentally, the fact that if you double your post # your WPs double shows the function is multiplicatory - time x posts - rather than additive.

Tossk
13 May 2003, 03:51 AM
Then why, when I post, do I go up by one WP instead of many if it's mutiplicitory?:?

Rogue Janson
13 May 2003, 05:55 AM
Whenever you post your WPs should, provided I've got this right, go up by f(1 x time), where f is a function used to actually convert into the WP value (eg. if you have 10 posts, 10 time and 50 WPs, f means divide by 2).

Hmm, this means the number of wound points you get per post will increase as your time increases, which doesn't seem right. Ok, any other ideas?

Lucas Carr
13 May 2003, 08:24 AM
Maybe it's something like this.

Max WP = f(P,T)
P = Current number of posts
T = Time

If P= 10, T = 10 , Max WP = 50, and posting once would increase Max WP to 51, then those who have more time to do the equation could figure something out from:

f(10,10)=50
f(11,10)=51

or maybe it's something like Max WP = f1(P)+f2(T).

Or something...

Jake Sunspot
13 May 2003, 12:00 PM
This math is getting complicated.

Rogue Janson
13 May 2003, 12:15 PM
Well I see you've not managed to get another 500 posts Jake, so I'm very disappointed.

Anyway, I've got a bit mixed up between WPs and Max WPs in the last few posts, so I'll have a go at clarifying. Apologies to anyone who got bored reading through stuff that's wrong.

Wound Points is actually shockingly simple.
It equals number of posts divided by 3.

Try it out, ideally on a holonetter who's post # is divisible by 3.

Max WPs I think is based on time multiplied by post #, though I've not checked this conclusively yet. This means that as you're a member for longer, you need to post more to keep up the same proportion of wounds to max wounds. Thus some newer members have max wps, but older members generally have a very empty looking WP bar.

Jake Sunspot
13 May 2003, 12:26 PM
I'm working on it. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet, gimmie a break;)

Lucas Carr
13 May 2003, 12:57 PM
With a quick check to find the relationship between #posts, time, and Max WP, it seems to me that the relationship isn't linear.

But that's only a quick check.

And from the couple of confirmation checks I've made WP seems to be Posts/3, at least at higher levels. For me this seems to be true from post 97. Before that it doesn't fit.

What might be interesting is that up to post 96 my WP and Max WP was the same. And then I didn't post for over a week. After posting #97 I had earned 10 WP and 17 Max WP.

I don't think I earned 10 WP on that post, thus you earn WP even when you don't post.

Tossk
13 May 2003, 01:14 PM
Rogue, That was brilliant.
I hate the fact that it was that easy and it just bewildered me for sooo long... After we figure out max WPs, what do we do with our lives?:raised:

Rogue Janson
13 May 2003, 01:40 PM
I'm looking at max WP now. It's a bit harder since it appears to involve two variables. And we'll never be able to work it out unless Jake manages those 500 extra posts.

Jake Sunspot
13 May 2003, 01:52 PM
I'm never gonna catch up if you keep posting. I'm running out of things to say... this is terrible, I'll never get into the ramblers club

Rogue Janson
13 May 2003, 02:11 PM
Obi-Wan spirit: "...those posts were our only hope"

having trouble with max WPs at the mo, I'm not sure whether it's a linear relationship or what. I have a distinct feeling solving it properly involves simultaneous equations.

Ardent
13 May 2003, 04:05 PM
Yeah Janson's been on a streak lately. ;)

Crymoon
13 May 2003, 10:14 PM
and I thought I posted a lot.. :D... I'm thinking of giving up the thought of chatching up... in some years maybe but not now... :D

mojo1701
14 May 2003, 04:57 PM
Maybe I should start posting more. Crymoon's been registered way shorter than I have, and he's already one rank higher than me... It makes you think... I should visit more often. Not that I don't, but I usually read without responding.

I'm going to try to catch up, darn it!

Tossk
14 May 2003, 05:42 PM
If you want to catch up, only post when you can be useful, and add something to the tread; otherwise, it just takes up server space that could have been used better.;)

Crymoon
14 May 2003, 10:26 PM
That's why I made a thread in Chaos to posts posts that don't count when I have this great urge just to post something to move the lvl up I post there so it doesn't matter... :D

Ardent
15 May 2003, 07:30 PM
Okay, Imperial Rear Admiral (Rebel Rear Admiral Upper Half and Pirate Prize Captain) at 1306 posts, 4.04 posts per day.

coldskier0320
21 May 2003, 03:05 AM
Okay, here's one for ya: Me and Crymoon are both at 20th level, i have more time on the holonet, but he has a higher post rate, so he gets the nicer, shinier icon:)

mojo1701
21 May 2003, 12:49 PM
I just hit Boarding Team Leader about 2 or 3 days ago. Started posting more...

Tossk
21 May 2003, 07:22 PM
Check me and Ardent, Coldskier. i've shown it to you many times, but he's got less posts, and he's been here less, than I, and he's got a better rank badge equivalent.:) I'll getcha!:P

Ardent
21 May 2003, 07:40 PM
Possibly if you can kick your PPD over 3. PPD seems to be the biggest factor in rank, from what the data suggests. ;)

Jake Sunspot
21 May 2003, 08:08 PM
That explains why my rank goes up so slowly. I suppose that commander is nothing to sneeze at, but if was more active I'd probably be at least a captain.

Sasche
21 May 2003, 08:09 PM
My rank changed from "Flight Officer" to "Flight Lieutenant". Both were the two dots, Red and Blue, respectively.
The changed occured when my posts went from below 2.5 PPD to above 2.5 PPD.

Crymoon
21 May 2003, 11:18 PM
I'm almost in the middle of 20th lvl and post rate fell a bit.. But soon we will be bale to see better what has influence on your ranks and WPs as I won't be able to post everyday.... so my post rate will faaaaallllllll ddddoooooowwwwwnnnnn.....
Capture Crew Leader is my rank... now... When I checked it recently I was a Boarding Team Memeber... Bow yer head... arrgh! :D

Tossk
22 May 2003, 03:05 PM
You know there are more posts on this thread than many have so far in their time here... Since this thread is over 200 posts, does it get to change it's status line?:D

mojo1701
22 May 2003, 03:49 PM
I think it'd be something like Thread that makes the Mods nervous...

Crymoon
22 May 2003, 10:18 PM
or maybe Thread that makes Mod ROLFMAO

as at least some of them know exactly the solution for our weeee little problem...

Jake Sunspot
23 May 2003, 12:39 AM
I think Armage is the only one who truely knows. If I'm not mistaken the HoloNet is his baby.

Crymoon
23 May 2003, 12:42 AM
yep... maybe also Moridin knows something.... who knows what goes on in the minds of Inner Circle or holonet power :)

Wedge in Red2
23 May 2003, 03:27 AM
as at least some of them know exactly the solution for our weeee little problem...

I think "problem" is the wrong choise of words there, Crymoon. I wouldn't call it a problem so much as a fixation you guys seem to have. It's not like the badges or ranks really mean anything. All they are is something that makes this place unique and kinda neat. You guys seem to be determined to work out how the system works. My question to you is "Why do you need to know?" :).

Jon

Crymoon
23 May 2003, 03:37 AM
I tried to let this mystery be a mystery... but I just loe to know why a how the mystery works... and the best thing is getting there not the knowledge itself...
This is a mystery of holonet and in my spare time I'm trying to solve it... (that's my reasons for trying to understand how it works... )

Sasche
23 May 2003, 05:23 AM
This is a mystery.
And it would have run along fine, except for us, Meddling Kids!

**woo hoo, I just recently passed 100 posts!**

mojo1701
23 May 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Sasche
And it would have run along fine, except for us, Meddling Kids!

Gotta love that Scooby Doo referrence ;).

Jake Sunspot
23 May 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Wedge in Red2

I think "problem" is the wrong choise of words there, Crymoon.

Bare in mind that english is Crymoon's second or third language. I think his word choices are pretty good, considering the circumstances.

Wedge in Red2
25 May 2003, 08:31 AM
I was aware of that, and have been very complimentary in the past of Crymoon's excellent English. The statement was not intended as an attack at Crymoon's English - you seem to have interpretted it that way. I was merely pointing out that what he described as a problem is not really a problem - hence describing it as one is possibly inaccurate. I was hoping to suggest a more appropriate word that could be used.

Regards,

Jon

Sasche
25 May 2003, 08:47 AM
I think the word problem is inappropriate in that it makes the moderators appear to not want this thread to exist.
I think part of the reason for creating the whole system is precisely to give us a mystery that we try to solve. It was enevitable that we would have a thread like this.
If this were a "problem" the moderators could have ended it very rapidly by closing any thread like this that starts.

Jake Sunspot
25 May 2003, 10:53 PM
I was just being a smart a$$. I agree that problem wasn't the best choice of words.

Crymoon
25 May 2003, 11:00 PM
We will not be silenced!!!! Even if they would close this thread we would begin another and another and....

Sorry but the sith part seems to be winning over me.. :D

and as he wins he feels threatened by some comments :) (no offence - just pun :D ) If I win over him.. when... as there is no try... I'll post my own interpretation of how I see the problem.. but right now his turn.. beware..

OK.. IT IS A PROBLEM.... BUT AS CRYMOON WROTE IT IS A PROBLEM FOR US, NOT MOST OF THE PEOPLE. THE PROBLEM IS a question raised for inquiry, consideration, or solution, AND ALSO a source of perplexity, distress, or vexation. SORRY GOTTA CHECK THE LAST ONE..........CHECKED...... SO IT FITS... AT LEAST IN MY NOT SO HUMBLE OPINION... AND IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT.... WOULD YOU LIKE TO MEET WITH ME....... AND MY MASSASSI ARMY???.....

it seems like I can write on my own again... sorry about him... though he is right a bit... I would agree with him that problem ain't sucha bad word. But in opposition to him I'd welcome any comments on my English as they help me get better.

AND I DON'T NEED THEM. I'M THE BEST ALREADY.

Oh, be still... if you were the best you would be talking all the time instead of me...

MAYBE I AM... KEEP IN MIND AFFECT MIND ... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

be still... or..... I severe your conection to the Force.

OK... I'M STILL...

good now... let me finish.. Thanx Wedge I agree that we have a major fixation...which is a problem for us.. :D And pls do comment on my English as I really feel the urge to get my language skills better...

And Jake and Wedge thanx for your praise. :D :D

Sasche I'd meant that it's a problem for us... not mods... And that just they (at least some of them) know the answer we are so feverishly looking for..

AND THEY ARE KEEPING IT SECRET... IT CAN BE THE WAY OF OVERTHROWING THEM!!!!

I said be still!!!!!

SORRY....

PS. You know what I love about this site... For manyyears I have sought a place where I can discuss things and not argue about them...

Et tu Jake???
Just as I wrote this post jake answered..
So c'mon as my knwoledge comes mostly from dictionaries.. tell me when I should use problem... I really mean it... I'm not being malicious or anything... realy want to know... :)

Jake Sunspot
25 May 2003, 11:20 PM
You used the word apropriately, the problem is (pun intended) that the english language is complicated and even when the meaning of a word seems accurate, the conitations and infered meaning can get confused. In a forum such as this, the problem is often exacerbated by the fact that we can't easily use tone and inflection to state "implied meaning" in our words. Hence things like sarcasm, wit, and friendly ribbing are confused for flaming, , arguing, and general hating. And NOBODY wants to be a hater.

Hope this helped and didn't make things more complicated or confusing.

Crymoon
25 May 2003, 11:29 PM
Hope this helped and didn't make things more complicated or confusing.

It helped... you speak with many great words... thanx.. I learnt a new one today:
ex·ac·er·bate
Pronunciation: ig-'za-s&r-"bAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -bat·ed; -bat·ing
Etymology: Latin exacerbatus, past participle of exacerbare, from ex- + acerbus harsh, bitter, from acer sharp -- more at EDGE
Date: 1660
: to make more violent, bitter, or severe <the proposed shutdown ... would exacerbate unemployment problems -- Science>

nice one... but a bit difficult.. have to use it a few time to learn it fully... :) tahnx anyway...

Jake Sunspot
25 May 2003, 11:57 PM
You're welcome Crymoon. I'm glad you like that word, its one of my favorites, really gets your point across. Provided the person you're talking to knows (or can infer) what it means.;)

Wow, this is WAY off topic....I'm finally up to 1.00 posts per day....Yippie

Crymoon
26 May 2003, 12:15 AM
It would be myopic not to learn new words... (sorry but it's another word that I learnt today..:
my·o·pia
Pronunciation: mI-'O-pE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek myOpia, from myOp-, myOps
Date: circa 1752
1 : a condition in which the visual images come to a focus in front of the retina of the eye resulting especially in defective vision of distant objects
2 : a lack of foresight or discernment : a narrow view of something

But now coming back to our guesses:

I have just compared Jake's and mine profiles:
we are both 20th lvl and we have almost the same post number:
Jake has 501 I have 507 (our post rates are much daifferent 1.00 and 7.72 {and falling})
And Jake is longer by 435 or 436 days (or sth like this) and our WP are such:
167/1971 to 169/259
our VP:
98/491 to 643/643 (and honestly I think that I have min and max Vps at the same level for a long time)

That's all folks.... :D

Jake Sunspot
26 May 2003, 12:27 AM
Well, I think we've already figured out that your VP are in some way based on PPD, and that you max out if you keep it over 5 PPD. Not sure how your Max VP is determined though.

On the same token I think Max WP is in some way bassed on time on the Holonet.

Heres a question: Crymoon what is your rank if you switch your alligence to Imperial. When I switch to Pirate I'm a Boarding Team Leader. As a Rebel, I'm a Wing Commander.

Crymoon
26 May 2003, 01:31 AM
Capture Crew leader - Pirates
Group Captain - Rebel
Captain - Imperial

Wedge in Red2
26 May 2003, 07:22 AM
Et tu Jake???

On the subject of languages, do you realise that Et tu Jake actually means "Stand Up Jake" in Maori? Although I think it's actually spelled E tu. I'm sure Jango Fett would know...

Jon

Rouge8
26 May 2003, 06:16 PM
Must improve Rank....
I also never reply anymore. By the time I get around to cecking the holonet, I am tired.

All these new words, and talk about the english language.... Overloading tired brain..
I think I lost my ability to post tonight.

Crymoon
26 May 2003, 10:44 PM
Sorry wedge but I have never learnt Maori... yet... :D I had once a dream to know all of Earth languages (only the major once no regional versions - that would kill me in africa ofr china... :D) but reality has caught up with me since then. :D

I used it in the latin meaning, Et tu, Brute... said Julies on ides of March and died...
Jake's comment stabbed me like a shiny dagger... :D
(Jake if you read this just overlook the above comment... :D)

Jake Sunspot
26 May 2003, 11:06 PM
What I did, was done for Rome.

Or something like that.;)

Crymoon
26 May 2003, 11:38 PM
Et tu, Brute meant 'And you Brutus too?'
Brutus was one of 'friends' of Ceasar and Julius was really suprised to see him stab him. It is used when somebody you think of as friend stabs you in the back... :D... hope it unravels some of the mystery... :D

Wedge in Red2
27 May 2003, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I was aware of the origin of the Et tu Brute quote. Just making an observations...

Jon

mojo1701
27 May 2003, 02:32 PM
I always loved Julius Caesar. Almost as good as Hamlet (although, and I do mean to brag, we aren't reading until next year in English...).

Vanger Chevane
27 May 2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Tossk
I'm going to re-post the chart here for those who can't sift back a page. ;)
Level_________ Posts

Hmmm...just hit Level 15 with my 258th post & 0.83 PPD...

Tossk
27 May 2003, 07:02 PM
Hey, Vanger; there's no need for the PPD, Level has been verified (as far as I can tell) to be based strictly on the number of posts, but thanks anyway!;)

Rogue Janson
28 May 2003, 03:02 AM
I just hit Commodore at precisely 1000 posts. But I think that's just a coincidence.

farr0095
28 May 2003, 11:38 AM
Rogue Janson, didn't that also precisely correspond with Lvl 28?

Sasche
28 May 2003, 08:20 PM
Well, I was able to change my rank when my PPD went from below 2.5 to above. I was hoping that there would be another "threshold" at 3.0 PPD, but I haven't noticed anything.

Has anyone noticed another "threshold" where rank can "wobble" back and forth?

Tossk
29 May 2003, 02:48 AM
Rank is weird simply due to the fact that it's not based solely on mposts or PPD, but It won't 'wobble' back and forth between ranks, unless your post-count is changed drastically.:(

Crymoon
29 May 2003, 02:54 AM
Mine will fall and I will drop and will be small Pirate and Tossk will eat me alive...

Ahhh... it's so hard to be a pirate... :D

Dr_Worm
29 May 2003, 12:01 PM
Either I recently was erroniously promoted or I got promoted then demoted. I came on a week or so ago and all my dots were blue and I was some other rank (honestly I cannot recall what it was as I could care less most if the time). Now today I look at my rank badge for the first time in a while and suddenly I am back to Commodore. I know my post count stays about the same all the time, so I am not sure what the deal is.

Lucas Carr
29 May 2003, 12:05 PM
Level Posts
1.......0?
2.......<= 14

I also hit level 15 with 258 posts. It might just have been a spelling mistake...

Tossk
29 May 2003, 12:15 PM
Well shoot, it is screwy, isn't it? I'll fix it when somone hits the next level.;)

Tossk
29 May 2003, 12:20 PM
I think 32nd level is 1,386 posts, but Ardent can confirm that in 7 posts...;)

Ardent
29 May 2003, 12:37 PM
Well, remember C&M posts don't count towards the total, and I'm too lazy to count how many C&M posts I've made...then we'd have actual static numbers. :/

Tossk
29 May 2003, 01:56 PM
For that "staic number" you want, look into your profile, and click the 'search for posts by this user' button on the far top and to the right. ;) It gives you a total there.