PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Playing Long Distance via the Internet?

Jetic
19 August 2002, 06:19 PM
First off Iím not sure this is a Game Master item, but I like this tread the best and know you GMís with experience probably know something or somebody who has done this.
My best friend and gaming buddy lives in Toledo, OH and I live in Canton, OH.
We get together about every 3 months and play one session of Star Wars. He is running the game right now and it is during the rise of the empire. I am a Jedi Guardian who is watching over a princess (my daughter) along with her personal bodyguard (his son), a pilot (his wife) and 2 soldiers (my wife and a co-worker of his). We are chasing down the assassins who killed the princessís parents and we have made it to 2nd level in a year of play, but the breaks between games are killing our momentum. We love to play and have a great time when we get together. We have been trying to figure out how to meet more often but our hectic schedules and travel time make it impossible to improve what we are already doing. I have just joined the SWRPGNETWORK about 3 weeks ago and have enjoyed all the material, opinions and ideas that everyone brings to the table on the HoloNet. During the course of diving through many of the treads I had read in one of the postings that someone has played using the Internet. Everyone in his group was away at school or something. He also mentioned that he made a grid that the players and he could use to show their positions and the NPC positions for combat, but I did not catch anymore detail than this and now can not remember where I read it.
If you have used the Internet to play a table top (not computer) role-playing game before or are doing it now. Please let me know how you are doing it and if you have any software suggestions or rule modifications.
Your help will be greatly appreciated by this Star Wars Player/GM.
:D

Sabre
19 August 2002, 09:51 PM
I think the most obvious answer, and the one you're probably looking for, is openrpg (http://www.openrpg.com/orpgnuke/index.php).

Apart from that, there's webrpg (http://www.webrpg.com/) which is a pay service, ICQ, AOL instant messenger, various other instant messenger clinets, IRC, and finally home-made software.

I run most of my games over the internet these days. The pace is slower, and it can be difficult for people to keep up if they are slow at reading or writing, but there are some advantages. For example, you can do more with pictures and music without adding too much disruption to your game. I'd recommend a combination of instant messenger and either openRPG or a home made program.

Littledragoon
20 August 2002, 10:47 AM
Well, I play all my games over AOL Instant Messanger anymore, and it's lots of fun. As a GM, I can have notes prepared in MSWord or Notepad, and then copy them directly into the AIM window. It gives you more time to think about your actions, as a player, also. That, paired up with a dice-roller program (easy to find on the web for free) makes for a pretty good system of playing. -also, you can draw and scan/download images and then send them over as a "hey, you see this" kind of thing, just like in a table-top game.

~The Little Dragoon~
<><

"I am Fireproof"

StClair
26 August 2002, 01:12 PM
I've had success with running a game by MUSH. Themed MUSH servers are kind of like text-only Everquest; unthemed ones are more like chatrooms. I staked out a "room" on the latter sort, one of my players wrote a little program to roll dice for us, and a great time was had by all.

The best part is that it's easy to keep transcripts of the sessions. You can find some examples under "game logs" on my homepage, http://www.efn.org/~kellys/ .

The main problem I had was trying to coordinate players spread across multiple time zones. When dinnertime for one player is bedtime for another, it can be tricky to get everyone on at once.

damiller
26 August 2002, 06:07 PM
I like the pace of a Play By Web (play by post) game much like the posts found in this thread. There is a great website www.playbyweb.com that provides character pics and a dice roller.

I like the play by post format because I and those playing dont have schedules that accomodate "face to face" play like in AIM MSN or ICQ. It also is a running transcprit with out being saved all the time.

I like it and the fact that I can fit it in my schedule when I want.

Consider that if you have time constraits with players that just can't be hammered out.

Dr_Worm
31 August 2002, 01:00 PM
I am involved in three right now...two Play By Post on a post baord, and one Play By E-Mail that I GM. They can work but there is a learning curve, and writing skilsl are critical. One of the games I "play" is "Time Of Turmoil" here on the Holonet (in the RPG section) is really much more of a round-robin writing exercise. Each player takes a turn furthering the story from their character's point of view. No dice and few stats.

The one I GM is more traditional, as I do dice rolling for my players and we adhere to stat limitations. Also there is a site called roleplayingames.net which has a large and active SW section. All they do is host PbP games. I ran one game on the site, but it fell apart when the players flaked out on me...that is a hazard to be sure.

If you want, I would love to talk with you further on this as I am a married father as well, though not lucky enough to have family interested in playing. Email me at: dr_worm@earthlink.net and I would love ot answer any more of your questions, as well as welcome you to try my game.

Corr Terek
12 September 2002, 05:25 PM
I would agree, writing skills are critical if you want to do a Play-by-Post game. I am the "GM", so to speak, of the "Time of Turmoil" campaign that Dr Worm mentioned, and I have to say that most of the players in that game are rather skilled writers.

I have tried playing in actual table-top SWRPG games via e-mail, but neither of them seemed to work -- both eventually died out on me. I'm not sure if this was just me bad luck or a typical experience, though.

At any rate, I prefer PbP as I'm a story-driven, character-development type of guy.

BrianDavion
12 September 2002, 09:51 PM
I play all my RPGs over IRC as gaming locally is dead.