PDA

View Full Version : Character heroic sacrifices?

gmjabreson
7 June 2006, 06:46 AM
We all know the thread of the Stupidest things Characters have done, but what about the bravest things they've done. What sacrifices, if any, have players done with their characters that left a lasting impression on the groups they played in, that people talked about for many sessions or weeks after it happened?

Like here's one that one of my characters did: The players were stuck in a very tight situation, the place they were defending was being overrun by stormtroopers and the pickup shuttle was running late. Rebel Alliance fighters were keeping the Tie fighters at bay, to allow a tunnel like drop for the shuttle when it came in. One of the PC's, already wounded, decided to stay behind and delay the enemy on one of the lower levels. He waited for the Imperials on level 6, while the characters proceded to the shuttle bay on level 14.
The wounded PC took several impact grenades and, hanging them from the ceiling by light fixture panels, tied them to his wrists. When the imperials came down the corridor they opened fire on him, killing him, but when his body fell the strings holding the grenades broke and they fell among the lead group of Imperials.
It bought most of the time needed, the Imperials arrived at the landing level the same time the shuttle did. The fight was a classic landing platform fight, similar to cloud city in Episode 5, cover fire to get everyone on board.

Ravnor
7 June 2006, 07:09 AM
I think my best death was when i was controling a part of a rebel commando team trying to capture a star destroyer. Most of the team was killed on their way to the engines. The last guy i had left took off his backpack (which was full of grenades and ammo clips) into the reactor core blowing appart the engines killing him and taking god knows how many crewmen with him.

gmjabreson
7 June 2006, 07:33 AM
now that's a good way to go. Brings to mind, "when you gotta go, don't squeeze the backpack"

Ravnor
7 June 2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
now that's a good way to go. Brings to mind, "when you gotta go, don't squeeze the backpack"

thakyou

gmjabreson
16 June 2006, 04:46 AM
nobody else has had a character go down in a blaze of glory? Come on, I find that hard to believe.

Ravnor
16 June 2006, 10:15 AM
i don't think enough people know about this thread, it's that or their character's death is simply being shot.

saaleh
16 June 2006, 02:16 PM
I figured this board would be buzzing with excitement and tales. I mean, the ones already said are pretty hard-core heroic, but I'm with the rest of you and expected more to post.

Me? I've only had one character so far (and of course have only been involved in one campaign), and there's only so much a cute little hoojib can do.

Kyndig_Episte
16 June 2006, 03:36 PM
I would like to get a situation where a heroic sacrafice coiuld be made however that situation hasn't come up in the new group that I am playing. In my old group there would never be a need for a heroic sacrafice since the people I roll-played with only believed that the ones that lived were the heros and everyone else were just there to die. They never saw the merit behind self-sacrafice and thus that type of situation would and will never come up in their games. Which isprobably the leading factor that lead to me leaving the group.

gmjabreson
16 June 2006, 04:57 PM
yeah, that would kind of make gaming boring.

I had another one, but don't know if it was actually heroic by most standards. One of our players, during a Special Operations Mission for the Rebels, crashed his stolen hoverscout into an AT-ST, knocking it down on top of him and destroying both vehicles. He did do part of his job on the mission. Our mission was a prison break, his part was to keep the exit route clear. He did, until that point, plus it took out one of the transports we were going to use to get everyone to the evac point. So the rest of the group had to flee on foot until the vehicles could come back and get them.

Ravnor
17 June 2006, 12:04 AM
yeah, that would kind of make gaming boring.

I had another one, but don't know if it was actually heroic by most standards. One of our players, during a Special Operations Mission for the Rebels, crashed his stolen hoverscout into an AT-ST, knocking it down on top of him and destroying both vehicles. He did do part of his job on the mission. Our mission was a prison break, his part was to keep the exit route clear. He did, until that point, plus it took out one of the transports we were going to use to get everyone to the evac point. So the rest of the group had to flee on foot until the vehicles could come back and get them.

I'd call that a heroic action, you don't get many people willing to ram
AT-ST's with a vehicle one fith its size.

wolverine
17 June 2006, 12:10 AM
I have had a few close calls, but always won out (due to lots of CP and FP expenditures.

Ravnor
17 June 2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by wolverine
I have had a few close calls, but always won out (due to lots of CP and FP expenditures.

Well, name the most suicidal one you have done.

wolverine
17 June 2006, 07:01 PM
Home game, back in england. Group got 4 dark jedi with their bodyguards (10 zero g troopers), on our butts. I stood my ground while the rest fled and did a called shot as they closed in (taking fire, but missing), to place an explosive round from my barret down the proton torp launcher of the middle Zg trooper, causing it to blow up, taking 6 of them out, and wounding the last 4 and 2 of the dark jedi. Then i went toe to toe with the last 2 jedi with a vibro dagger (talon model). By the end of the fight, i was down to 1 cp, 0 fp, had earned 2 dsp (from calling the dark side), had 2 wounds but all the baddies were down...

Ravnor
18 June 2006, 01:09 AM
Well, thats the most heroic near-death fight i have ever heard of.

Darth_Xanthor
18 June 2006, 12:01 PM
Well this is a matte of opinion i this is suicidal or not...but here we go

Time Period: Jedi Inquisition

I was playing a scoundrel whos family (all who could use the force) was kill by the Empire. While on Vespen, we were running from the empire. Our Jedi master had been brought down by an Dark jedi, and was now fighting the apprentice. My charcter, named Jett, was hanging onto the edge of his ship as it flew towards the jedi. He noticed that the Dark Jedi was his sister and freaked. He locked the remainder of the team in the ship, leapt off, did a sneak attack on the jedi apprentice, and faced his sister....long story short......Jett, a scoundrel with next to none in jedi trainning, took on his sister one on one. The only way I survived was that the remainder of my team blew the door of my ship open with explosives and started shooting from the ship.

so how that for suicidal?

Mind you Jett had a kick ass Knife fight with yet another dark jedi later in the game...picture a knife fight...with force powers

Ravnor
18 June 2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Xanthor
Well this is a matte of opinion i this is suicidal or not...but here we go

Time Period: Jedi Inquisition

I was playing a scoundrel whos family (all who could use the force) was kill by the Empire. While on Vespen, we were running from the empire. Our Jedi master had been brought down by an Dark jedi, and was now fighting the apprentice. My charcter, named Jett, was hanging onto the edge of his ship as it flew towards the jedi. He noticed that the Dark Jedi was his sister and freaked. He locked the remainder of the team in the ship, leapt off, did a sneak attack on the jedi apprentice, and faced his sister....long story short......Jett, a scoundrel with next to none in jedi trainning, took on his sister one on one. The only way I survived was that the remainder of my team blew the door of my ship open with explosives and started shooting from the ship.

so how that for suicidal?

Mind you Jett had a kick ass Knife fight with yet another dark jedi later in the game...picture a knife fight...with force powers

not bad, i've heard better but thats still pretty cool.

Fingon
18 June 2006, 02:47 PM
I've never had a very impressive death for a long time, but a near-death experience went as such.

Character was on a backwater planet with an Imperial garrison, who discovered that he was working for the Rebels. There was a speeder chase back to the ship, and he got shot down about a quarter mile away from the ship, where the rest of the party were waiting. This is one guy verses half a dozen stormtroopes. After a few shots were fired, and it bacame obvious that he wouldn't make it out alive, he told his friends to take off, grabbed a grenade in each hand, threw them at the stormies, whipped out two vibro daggers and tackled the nearest standing trooper. As it turned out, the rest of the party lifted off and raced to the scene, belly cannon firing, barely saving me. Not that impressive, but it was cool.

I have better stories from D&D and Runequest.

Ravnor
19 June 2006, 12:42 AM
your charicter did mean o kill himself, what do you think gmjabreson?

gmjabreson
19 June 2006, 03:21 AM
interesting, since most PC's would listen and take off. Very rarely will you get a group that prevents suicidal sacrifices.

Darth Winter
19 June 2006, 03:54 AM
i have 2 characters die through heroic deeds

one a wookie techie we were on a ship that the pilot had just bought that 3 sessions before travening a trade route to a outer rim work when attacked and borded 2 members of the group died and the rest captured and put in the cargo my tchie opened up a service shaft 2 the only escape pod that the ship had he couldnt fit throught though so the group climb through and get in and escaped as i acsesses a emergency controle pannle i installed in the cargo bay opened all the doors in the ship and out into space the group than came back and claimed the ship again and deliverd some emergency supplies the planet we were going 2 was in desperat need of to vacsinate against a plague that was raverging the populuse of the world.

the other a human soldier it was a dipplomatic session we needed 2 nobles 2 sit down and talk to stop the civil war on theis plannet getting worse well a angery mob that had just got hold of millerty grade equipment storm the councle house we were in and the nobles well we had a back up and got them to the escape route running throught a old mantanance tunnle we get to a large blast door as the angery mob is closing in i tell them to go on through ill follow i was going to plant explosives to collaps the tunnle and i did but the angery mob got there quicker than i expected so i set the timer for 30 secs plenty of time to the throught the door and close it well no i then got shot in the leg and couldnt run i blasterd the door control pannle so it closed and wouldnt open just as the it sealed just as the timmer hit 1the group got out and the nobles got on and peace was restored but my character was forgotten no berrial or anything :mad:

Ravnor
19 June 2006, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Darth Winter
i have 2 characters die through heroic deeds

one a wookie techie we were on a ship that the pilot had just bought that 3 sessions before travening a trade route to a outer rim work when attacked and borded 2 members of the group died and the rest captured and put in the cargo my tchie opened up a service shaft 2 the only escape pod that the ship had he couldnt fit throught though so the group climb through and get in and escaped as i acsesses a emergency controle pannle i installed in the cargo bay opened all the doors in the ship and out into space the group than came back and claimed the ship again and deliverd some emergency supplies the planet we were going 2 was in desperat need of to vacsinate against a plague that was raverging the populuse of the world.

the other a human soldier it was a dipplomatic session we needed 2 nobles 2 sit down and talk to stop the civil war on theis plannet getting worse well a angery mob that had just got hold of millerty grade equipment storm the councle house we were in and the nobles well we had a back up and got them to the escape route running throught a old mantanance tunnle we get to a large blast door as the angery mob is closing in i tell them to go on through ill follow i was going to plant explosives to collaps the tunnle and i did but the angery mob got there quicker than i expected so i set the timer for 30 secs plenty of time to the throught the door and close it well no i then got shot in the leg and couldnt run i blasterd the door control pannle so it closed and wouldnt open just as the it sealed just as the timmer hit 1the group got out and the nobles got on and peace was restored but my character was forgotten no berrial or anything :mad:

I liked the soldier story better but there both good, and if no one has said it yet, welcome aboard.

Darth Winter
19 June 2006, 06:42 AM
thanks been playing a while and looking on the site for a bit but only resently got round to getting a acount got through a lot of characters nerver used to have luck with them but now i can make a character in a min of 2 :D

wolverine
19 June 2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Fingon
I've never had a very impressive death for a long time, but a near-death experience went as such.

Character was on a backwater planet with an Imperial garrison, who discovered that he was working for the Rebels. There was a speeder chase back to the ship, and he got shot down about a quarter mile away from the ship, where the rest of the party were waiting. This is one guy verses half a dozen stormtroopes. After a few shots were fired, and it bacame obvious that he wouldn't make it out alive, he told his friends to take off, grabbed a grenade in each hand, threw them at the stormies, whipped out two vibro daggers and tackled the nearest standing trooper. As it turned out, the rest of the party lifted off and raced to the scene, belly cannon firing, barely saving me. Not that impressive, but it was cool.

I have better stories from D&D and Runequest.

What scale was that belly cannon? If it was SF scale, how did htey hit the troopers with the die cap/scale diff??

Ravnor
20 June 2006, 03:06 AM
it wouldn't have to hit the troopers, just fire busts of shots at them and make them run for cover, i know i would run like hell if a ship mounted cannon was shooting at me!

gmjabreson
20 June 2006, 04:51 AM
depending on size of weapon and its blast radius on impact, you'd just have to get close. Now if it was like the one hidden on the Falcon, just open fire on full auto and strafe those no good, equipment hogging stormies.

wolverine
20 June 2006, 11:02 PM
depending on size of weapon and its blast radius on impact, you'd just have to get close.

But you still have your own people in the range (if they were embroialed as was said above)..

gmjabreson
21 June 2006, 03:17 AM
"Today is a good day to die" comes to mind. He was on a suicide mission, if killed by own players while killing stormies, its a good way to go.